Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Does VW really use thicker sheetmetal than other mainstream brands? The doors on my '13 Passat definitely seem heaver than any other car that I've owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

They are much cheaper than the last Jetta. If she insists on going with one, look at the GLI, it has the proper rear suspension and the upgraded interior. Also has the 2.0t. Or the TDI. The base 2.5s are going to feel super cheap, as they are, considering they are 17k cars.

IIRC for 2014, all Jettas are going to have independent rear suspension.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Will the original air filter in my 2.5 Passat really last 60k miles like the service schedule claims?

I sometimes get a weird musty smell from the A/C...the cabin filter was just changed so it shouldn't be that. I've been putting off checking the intake filter because it's a huge pain in the rear end to get to (you have to disconnect the MAF sensor and carefully remove the super fragile engine cover just to access it).

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

Your intake air filter has nothing to do with a musty smell in the cabin.

It is likely due to clogged AC condensate drains (stagnant nasty water sitting in the box) or a leak that has molded your carpets. This could include clogged condensate drains that sloshed water out of the box rather than properly draining to the ground.

Ok, I think I got it.

So is the air for the cabin pulled inside from the exterior vents below the windshield?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Air conditioning also removes moisture from the air, so lots of people in humid areas find it more comfortable to leave it on even when it's cold outside.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 17, 2014

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Do the eBay OEM RCD510's typically come with working pin codes? Most of the listings seem pretty vague.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I have the Autobahn (leather) package in my Mk6 GTI and love it, FWIW. VW does interiors better than anyone else in their class (as long as you look over the last few tragic years of the Jetta).

I was in a Jetta SE loaner last month. Honestly it didn't seem that much worse than any other <$20k car I've been in.

Also the 1.8t is loving phenomenal for that price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

My one rear window seems to have switched polarity in the window switches.
Up is now down and down is now up.
Happens with the key in the door lock trick too.
All the rest of the windows will go down and that one will go up and the other way round too.
2007 gti
Anybody else ever seen anything like that?

Does it work all the time or only intermittantly? My map lights were doing something similar; a small screw had come loose and was shorting it out.