Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
Not sure where to put this in the AI forums, but I think this might be the fit.

I am planning on buying a new 2010 VW Golf, I am really on the fence about choosing between the regular Golf, the TDI and the GTI. My brother says that the GTI will lose it's vroom vroom (something about the sound and accel?) after about 2 years (it also might be the lack of TLC for his car). I also don't believe the GTI's extra 10k is worth it(?) to me.

I really want to try the TDI and see what driving diesel is like (also the mileages is great). Also since I am planning on driving mostly in city (for the foreseeable future) I don't know how well this difference would show up between diesel and the regular. Lastly there is the issue with maintenance and care for a diesel that I would be the first to go through in my immediate circle. The price is also not helping since The R&R Sticky shows that it would take around 10 years to get the difference in savings. (Maybe a few years less because of the TDI tax break).

Also is there a big difference in Auto (with Trip) and Manual for the car? I would love to learn how to drive Manual (also something about saving more gas?).

tl;dr
want to buy TDI but unsure about the gas savings/real advantages that warrants 5k in price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

GTI is only worth it if you want a car that's reasonably quick and handles well. For some people, this adds to value and for others it doesn't. I really doubt a base GTI would cost 10K more, a base Golf does not cost 13 grand.

ep, yeah I 5K difference when both of them have the package I want.

Again with the in-city driving would "reasonable quick" and "handles well" do something? I don't feel like I would be taking any turns or be in a chase scene anytime soon?

I think I will go test drive the GTI and the standard golf tomorrow and decide (TDI is now out of the picture) to see if it warrants the extra 5k.

veedubfreak posted:

If you enjoy driving and don't want just another appliance, you probably won't really be happy with a base model golf. As far as losing the "vroom vroom" whatever that means, my GLI 1.8t has 57k on it and still pulls as hard as the day I bought it. Your brother probably just doesn't keep his tuned.

Enjoy driving but also not so into cars other than the Audio/Nav system hackery (WinCE?)

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

primitive posted:

wait what??

TDIs perform brilliantly in stop-and-go city driving, it's long haul highway driving that can actually do them harm -- the VNT needs to be exercised, which highway driving does not do. i got 40mpg city in my heavily modified 03 TDI

also, the tdi will feel quicker than the gti if you're not on the track, it has more torque

So I drove the Jetta TDI today (I kept dropping the clutch on the Golf TDI Manual). The drive felt just like the GTI, except maybe it had more power sliding out of streets during left/right turns.

Jetta is suppose to be wider and heavier than the Golf, which would mean smoother ride but rougher on the hard turns.

Especially with the $1700 federal tax credit the TDI is looking REAAAAAAALLY sweet.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
I decided to go with a Manual TDI. The regular Golf was too weak(?) for my taste, and I am not a big modding the engine kind of guy. The TDI was about the same price for the GTI and when I drove it, at least for city and highway it felt almost the same as the GTI ( I drive a little more conservatively on the highways).

The dealer is giving 22600, which is suppose to be below invoice (I will believe it when I see the invoice...) with $200 or so on top for admin fee, anyone have a invoice on hand? The car is suppose to have BT, Mats, Weather and stuff.

I will start joining this thread with me taking apart the inside to replace the BT with 9W7 and the HD Radio with a RNS-510 or one of those Chinese OEM things.

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 26, 2010

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

primitive posted:

or you could be like the PO of the TDI i used to drive and cruise at 1700 rpm on the highway all. the. time.

the intake was clogged and the stock vnt15 was trash by 75k miles. perfect excuse to drop in a 17!

CarsDirect says the invoice on a base 2dr TDI is $22350. if it's a 4dr you are indeed below invoice.

- its a 2dr

I added some options which is bringing the price up, CarsDirect & Edmund are showing me invoice of 22750 and 22450, more than happy to get it so close to invoice.

I am still worried I might not be able to turn my diesel enough month, my usual driving habits makes me fill up once every 10 day-ish. It might change when I have my own car though..?

now with Bi-Xenon headlights... car shopping is driving me up the godamn wall. I will be happy when I have a car in hand and driving.

(I also realized that invoice price doesn't include VW Association fees, admin fees, first tank of gas fee, advertising,... blah blah blah).

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 26, 2010

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

None of these fees are necessary. I paid for DMV registration fees and tax, that's it. Bi-xenon headlights are a loving awesome option, I don't know how much they are on TDIs (cost about $700 for my GTI, I think) but I don't regret getting them.

You should also shoot for below invoice, I don't think people are going nuts over TDI anymore.

Yeah, the dealer is trying to push me above invoice saying it's flying off the shelves, again because the tax credit gets cut in half in 3 days. Bi-Xenons are $700 for TDI's as well.

I will see monday how much I can haggle the price down, I know invoice price and the first question I am going to ask is going to be "can you beat 23000".

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Are you talking to several dealers? I got offers from 10-12 dealerships before buying. Don't do walk-ins though, they will not cooperate on the price (I guess they think you're a sucker and don't know how to do it online).

I don't know about your area, but invoice on a 2-door manual TDI with xenons as the only option is just over 23K and average amount paid is around $23300. I'd shoot for $22.8

This does not include taxes or registration fees. Read truecar, they will tell you which fees are bullshit (ex. advertising, storage - you don't loving pay a dealership to store the car, come on). For comparison, I got my GTI at $25049, sticker was $27340 and factory invoice was $25802.

"Flying off the shelves" stuff is sales bullshit as well, they would have a waiting list if that were true. If they have them on the lot then they're not flying off the shelves.

They are all playing the "Flying off the shelves" sales pitch with the tax break blah blah blah. Golf TDI is harder to get below invoice on because VW haven't issued rebates for them yet :(

last day for anyone of them to make me a deal or I go buy a Ford Fiesta mwahahahaha (no I wont be doing that yet.)

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
picked up my car today, Golf TDI Manual. Took me 2 hours to learn how to drive on local roads. I can get into gear around 80% on flat surfaces (wheeeeeeee)

Anyone had whistling noise coming from the AC when the vents are closed on the passenger side?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
odd question, is there a way to display the current gear in a manual car on the MFD+?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Atomic Mitten posted:

This is new in this car's 2010 spec and uses the same MFD as the Golf I believe (may require the bluetooth pack). It unhelpfully is there to suggest when you should change gear though.

Mine is a 2010 Golf TDI... I haven't seen anything that screams at me to change gears (and I've gone almost to 5 on the first gear trying to shoot out of a parking lot).

edit: Time to dig through the owner's manual woo.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Antigen v2.0 posted:

Have the same issue on my 2010 GTI 2 door, going to mention it to them with I get it serviced. Hopefully they don't bitch about it since it's obviously a known issue.

I haven't driven my TDI over 60 too often (also have music blasting?) but should I check this for my 2D TDI since it basically has the same chassy as the GTI?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
I've left my car in storage (indoor) for about a month. Where they are suppose to spin it up once a week.

Should I be concerned about condensation and such when I get back? The tank was a little over half full (I was in a hurry and didn't get a chance to fill up before dropping it off at the storage facility).

edit: 2010 Golf TDI.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Bob Log posted:

I know I was just curious what he paid. I wasn't asking for a how-to :V

There is a bit of finesse that can be played to get better deals. But it's always a game. For example I'm looking at a used one with 10k on the clock that they want 23.9 for. I think I can get them down to 20k which will put me at ~23 OTD. New ones being not much more expensive I'm hard pressed to not buy new. I'm also looking at WRX's so I have a lot to think about.

shouldn't you be telling them to lower the price since the price OTD is similar to a new GTI?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
In 2010 TDI my driver side door, the panel where the handle that holds the window control buttons (circled in the picture) protrudes by about half a centimeter. I've pushed it back inwards but it just bounces right back out. Would this be something covered under warranty?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
What state was this in? :\ I need to start looking for a mechanic that I can go wahwah at.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
would it be stupid to take the ipod connector and splice it with a USB connector?

I don't feel like paying $40 for a cable that should've come with my car...

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Blakkout posted:

I have a 2005 A4 with an extremely worn-out stock manual shift knob. I'm hoping to replace it on my own if possible. After about 15 minutes of Google searching, I'm under the impression that this would entail removing the entire boot. Is this really the case? When I've replaced the shift knob on my other cars, the knobs themselves were simply threaded, so I could just unscrew them and screw another one on. Can someone confirm this for me? I'm a little unsure of my ability to remove the whole boot without messing something up. Thanks.

Aren't these suppose to be screwed on/off? I do see some posts telling you to lift the boot to unscrew it. Also it looks like when(if) you remove the boot you snap off some connectors and you will have to fix that as well.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Beelzebozo posted:

Audi MMI Stuff.

This is on a VW Golf 2010.
I'm having a similar problem because I have tracks with non-standard characters, but otherwise my ID3v1 tags show up (other than the usual why was this not in ISO9881 or Unicode). You are best off re-tagging, I believe ID3v1 is standard (my ID3v1 tags show up fine)

I have weird characters show up for song names (again, not in iso9881) but that hasn't lead to having album names being mixed into song names/genres etc.

Maybe try with a smaller amount of songs first?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Nystral posted:

So a new GOLF TDI is 2.0 and this chip works? Or is it only for older engines?

I am interested in this, but this would void warranty(?) or anything of the like right? I would be trading efficiency for unlimited power?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

On my TSX, I took off the "Acura" and "TSX" lettering and called it a day. Taking off the central "A" on the back would leave you with a couple of holes. I think a lot of cars are like that, although some are just held on with adhesive.

I think blacking out the front emblem could look tacky in a lot of instances but on a black car, I guess it could work. :) Play around with it, it's fun. As long as you're not doing stupid poo poo like calling your USDM Jetta a Bora you're probably okay.

These adhesive stains on the back of a white car is killing me.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

VW Jetta key question....

Yes it's me AGAIN.... This morning I park my car, get out and go to lock it with the remote key...

It doesn't lock. I lock it manually and try to unlock. That doesn't work either.

I figure (hope) there is just a battery in the key that has died considering it is nearly 10 years old.

I'm going to just switch keys with the spare I have at home.

But... if I wanted to get this key fixed, how would I go about that? Is it as simple as replacing a battery myself? Or do I have to jump through 27 security hoops at a dealership?

Just curious mostly... I think I remember reading some horror stories about replacing VW keys.

You should be able to just open it up and replace the battery.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Put the new battery in and I get nothing not even the red LED light.

I do believe it is done.

Going to go try the reprogramming thing just for the heck of it.

EDIT: Didn't work of course. I'll just use my spare, but I hate feeling defeated.

You should see the red LED light when you replace the battery. Something is wrong.

veedubfreak posted:

Wait so, you don't need chains in california if you have AWD? I really want a new Golf R but they're just going to be too damned expensive. MSRP is 34k and you'll be lucky to only pay MSRP.

The chain requirement rules are:
No chains,
Chains optional
Chains or 4WD
Chains required
No entry.

By the time you get "Chains Required" it's pretty much danger zone time.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

If anyone has a MK6 Golf/GTI/Jetta and you have excessive wind noise coming from the doors at high speed you can throw some electrical tape on the door latches to get rid of it. Worked great for me:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5214965-Driver-s-door-rattle-fixed.-Driver-s-door-wind-noise-fixed

I swear all the VW touched cars have had this problem since 2009 :(

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

my1999gsr posted:

There's also a TSB/Bulletin for wind noise from the rear edges of the front door windows too - we just got the kits for the TSB today.

any of those apply to 2 Door Golf TDIs?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Pinkied_Brain posted:

I saw some discussion on this here, but I am still not sure. What is the actual difference between a TDI and a regular Golf?
Besides the gas price, which would only pay for the price difference in well over 6-7 years, are there any differences in driving?

If you got the Golf TDI - why did you do it? $4,000 difference for 10 MPG?

I bought mine (some arbitrary reason). It wasn't the MPG only though, might have been "I want to say I drive a diesel" with a gritty accent.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Bovine Delight posted:

You want to turn the key to the On position until the glow plug light goes off. In 2011+ models, when you unlock the car the glow plugs actually come on to speed up the process. I've only had mine for a couple months, but so far it hasn't displayed the glowplug light for more than a second or two. In the winter I imagine you'll see it come on for around ~5 seconds or thereabouts.

2010 TDI here.

During regular weather I've never had a problem with waiting for the glow plug light to go off. Only during last winter did I wait a few seconds (instead of starting the car and the engine at once, I would turn the car on then start the engine, either way barely noticeable on my end).

I guess if you are driving a escape vehicle this might be an issue.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
I've owned my car for a year, and I haven't hit 10K miles yet, I got a notice to come in for a 1 year/10k mile check, I should go in for it?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
I just got a Safety Recall for 23J9/V5 (Golf TDI)
Common Rail Diesel Engine/Clean Diesel Engine Fuel Injection Lines

It sounds like my car can spontaneously burst into flames. Should I be hauling rear end to the dealer to get this fixed? Anyone have had this fix done on their car and have some stuff to point out when I take it in?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
I'm sure someone brought this up sometime ago, but

was there a recall/campaign on VW/Audis about the whispering/buzzing noise coming from the window/door at high speeds?

I've never drove my car over 70mph, but I finally did while doing a cross-country trip and realized that the wind noise is audible and gets quiet loud over 80mph (and it gets worse when i press the rubber thing that touches the window (like it's too far out?).

so 2 questions:
1. Was/Is there a campaign on fixing mis-aligned windows/door that would make cars make high pitched sounds at high speeds?
2. Would the above still be covered almost 2 years after purchase?

and I guess one more

3. How much would it cost to get this 'fixed'?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
has anyone else received a notice in the mail about some lawsuit about the bluetooth 9k3 or 9k7 package?

I'm trying to decipher it, but does it mean that if I fill out the paperwork, I can get an upgrade on my BlueTooth for free because VW misrepresented something on a flier? (probably hands free?).

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

mastermind2004 posted:

I just want a US GTD. If they do that, I will have to go swap my TDI for a GTD.

I think a GTD is (every) TDI owner's dream, or at least for me. On that other notes, reading things like this(USA Today, blurb on diesel cars in the US) reminds me that I will probably with VAG family for a while. On that article, I noted that they didn't mention backup cameras while mentioning front camera and radar. Has this feature become standard everywhere but the US?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

DerDestroyer posted:

They can't be arsed to do their due diligence. For all intents and purposes 2 door = sport coupe. Even if the finer details indicate otherwise.

I wonder what the insurance rate is on an Audi S4 compared to a 3-Door GTI for a 25 year old.

I know that my 3-Door TDI costs just a hair less than my brother's Audi TT (with the same insurer through family plan).

I do wonder some days why I didn't get a 4 door, but then I really can't imagine the Golf being a 4 door and actually having leg room in the back, or my seat being half way past the back door (my seat is pulled virtually all the way back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

DerDestroyer posted:

I've adjusted the driver's seat of a newer Golf to my size (I'm about 193cm tall) and then sat directly behind the driver's seat in the back and had no issues with leg room.

As far as I'm concerned, I find that the Golf is among the best of the cars in the compact sector when it comes to legroom.

what the ..., I am 186cm, and my friends scream bloody murder when they get in the back seat of my 2Dr TDI.

I can't pull it forward any further either because then my knees smash into the steering wheel or the bottom of the dash.