Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Hello AI, thought I'd drop in and ask something.

I'm thinking about getting a new GTI in a few months. What's the general consensus on the Mk6? Anyone have one/have problems with one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

So I got a brand new 2011 2-door GTI Autobahn DSG in Carbon Steel Gray a couple of weeks ago. Reading through this thread kinda freaked me out a little at first before I actually bought it, but now that I have it I absolutely love the thing.

Old and busted:

New hotness:

I'm glad to say that it doesn't rattle much. I actually just found the source of the one rattle that I can really hear on the way home from work today. drat that sunglasses holder. I need to stick something in that gap where it closes to quiet the thing down.

Is there any way to see what service bulletins are out for these cars so far? I know about one for the diverter valve actuator rod rattling under acceleration (though I don't know what they do to fix it aside from sticking a wheel weight on there to test it) and one for a drippy rear window washer. Of course, my car has both issues and I plan on having them take care of them in the 90 day checkup thing. I'm just curious as to what else I should be looking for before then.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Wouldn't DSG also wear out? I'm not planning to go beyond stage 1 and APR doesn't recommend clutch replacement for that stage, but it's hard to figure out if it can cause problems after 20-30K miles.

I was just thinking that too. DSGs DO use clutches... I've been wondering how long they last under stock conditions myself.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I just noticed something odd on my new GTI today. I was driving along on a smooth road going about 25 MPH and my radio just completely died for a couple of seconds. It came right back on, but it has me a bit worried about electrical gremlins.

I guess I'll add it to the short list of things to take care of with the 90 day checkup.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What else have you come up with? I'm hoping to do some test-driving this weekend. :)

It's mainly technical service bulletin stuff. My rear washer leaks occasionally, the diverter valve actuator rod rattles (pretty loudly) under load from 1800-3000 RPM, I may also ask them about a rattle or two if I can't find it myself.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Ask them to scan for codes (or just bring it up and they will know what to do), if anything is wrong chances are it will show up. What do you mean by completely died, by the way - just sound or did the whole headunit/display shut down?

The whole headunit died.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Yeah, I'd be moderately concerned about that, not sure if this can affect other electrics in the car but I wouldn't want to take any chances.

Yeah, I'm curious to see if it'll do it again or if it's reproducible in any way. Eh, I have 6 years worth of warranty, if it dies they should cover it.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Scabrous Teat posted:

What about the yellow steering wheel icon - does that just turn on whenever steering wheel column is locked or unlocked? I'm just paranoid about warning lights :tinfoil:

I think it's just indicating that the steering lock is activated or deactivated. I've got a 2011 GTI with KESSY and I get the exact same thing... Completely normal as far as I know.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

Hi VW goons! I was referred here from the general questions thread.

I might be buying a '98 VW New Beetle with the 2.0 off my good friend.

My dad had an early '99 New Beetle and drove it for over 100000 miles. The only problem that I remember him having with it for that whole time was the water pump and timing belt dying (at the same time). Granted that's one car and I've heard some horror storied from other people.

For $1000 the price might be right, just don't be surprised if it commits suicide pretty quickly.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Autism Monday posted:

A couple of questions for MK6 owners: I'd like to enable gauge sweep (staging?) and turn my steering wheel voice control button into a mute button. Can Vag-com do this for a 2011 GTI? Where would I find someone with one - should I just ask some local VW shops if they'd do it for me? I don't mind paying for someone to change settings but I'm not really willing to buy a vag-com :/

I believe the answer to #1 is yes, don't know about #2. I really want to get a cable for myself to play with a bunch of that stuff.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

OK, I've got a buddy with a 1.8T B5 Passat that randomly dies when he's coming to stop after the car's warmed up. Everything seems to be pointing to a bad crankshaft position sensor and a shop wants like $600 to fix it.

First off, does that diagnosis sound right?

Second, how much of a bitch is it to get to the thing to replace it? I've read it isn't in the most accessible of places. He'd like to keep repair costs down (he's trying to sell the thing). Is there something online with a few pictures of where the thing is and how to get to it? I've been looking around and haven't found much on the topic other than people saying that they've done it and there are some uncomfortable angles involved.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

2011 GTI with DSG, nearly 11,000 miles on it right now.

I've had no issues with it whatsoever. i like the way it feels, it mostly does what I want it to. I would suggest driving one for a bit to see if you like it though, it's definitely personal preference.

To people who complain about the transmission downshifting when they don't want it to, I'd suggest either using the paddles to temporarily override the automatic shifting or just kick it over into M mode.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

san_dingo posted:

Well, I just returned from my first drive in the GTI with my dog, and it didn't go especially well. The seat protector worked well, but I really need a dog barrier to separate the front and back seats. Does anyone have any advice/experience? The dog is an 80 lb boxer/lab mix, and he's very determined to be in the driver's seat the instant my fat rear end is off of it.

Back seats up or down?

The cargo cover can actually work as a barrier when you have your seats folded down. Use the two cargo hooks on the backs of the seats to hold the straight edge of the cargo cover and loop the strings (that attach the cover to the hatch and lift the cover when you open the hatch) around the front readrests so the thing doesn't flop over. Bam, instant free dog/cargo barrier. And you don't really need a seat cover then.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

If you don't want to pay so much for it, go hit up a junkyard.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

I just found out my '03 Accord Coupe V6 Auto's transmission is dead, at about 92k miles. I'm not too keen on the $4700 to fix the tranny option, so instead I'm eyeing a 2012 MKVI GTI. Is $23,500 a decent asking price (From a dealer) with 6,500 miles? From looking online it's cheaper than all other options around town, and has the lowest miles.

Also, stupid question: is there any difference between the 2d vs 4d? Personally I like the way the 4d looks, but I have no idea if they are different in any other way.

What package? There can be a pretty big price difference between base and Autobahn.

The 4-door supposedly has a stiffer chassis, and if you have a girlfriend/fiance/wife like mine she will be much less pissed off having four doors (that didn't stop me from getting a two-door though).

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

"2012 Volkswagen GTI 4dr HB Man PZEV" is how it is listed. It has everything but the full nav system. Edit- and no moonroof, gently caress!. The only thing I'm not in love with is the exterior color. Black is impossible to keep clean, and I live in Seattle...I would love the darker grey color, but alas you can't get everything you want in a used car sometimes.

That's a base GTI. New MSRP is $24,595... You could probably haggle your way down to a better price on a new car. Those 6,500 miles and just the fact that it's a used car should knock off over $1,000 from the price--I can't say that's a good deal at all. If you're looking to spend that much, buy a new one. You can also pick your color then.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I tried to help out a girl whose Mk4 Jetta 1.8T broke down in a parking lot today.

I noticed her car was stopped so I figured she was just waiting for someone. I walked past her to my car, and I heard a clanging noise like something fell out from under her car. I turned around to go tell her that things are falling off of her car and to see if she needed a hand.

I tried to give her a bit of a push but the car wouldn't roll.

The thing that fell off was the end cap for her driver's side CV joint. I had to look up how these things are installed and I have no clue how it happened--it's bolted up between the transmission and the CV joint. It was a little bent up, but the holes where the bolts thread into the transmission weren't torn out or anything.

I have no clue that happened--how does the cap just fall off of one of those things? The only thing that comes to mind is if the 6 bolts sheared off, but that doesn't make sense since we were in a parking lot and it's not like a 1.8T can shear off those bolts anyway. I couldn't get under to take a loot to see if bolts were missing or what.

Anyone seen that before?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

So the battery in my 2011 GTI is dying.

The battery warranty for VWs is 2 year/24,000 miles nowadays, right? (I'm past that)

I need to go in for 30,000 mile service soon anyway, but I'm trying to decide whether I should have the dealer do it or if I should do it myself.

How much do dealers typically cost for a battery replacement and what is their new battery warranty? If I do it myself, what's a good brand of battery to get?

EDIT: I was almost due for my 30,000 mile service anyway so I just took it to the dealer. I was out of the battery warranty but they comped it anyway.

drat I like having a good dealership around here.

smax fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 27, 2013

smax
Nov 9, 2009

blk posted:

Bonus points if you can convince me that a MkVI GTI would be a great car for my wife who likes them but hates having to fix things.

More anecdotal stuff:

2011 GTI, just under 3 years old and 30,000 miles here. The only things that have happened to me were a bad battery and the engine mistakenly freaked out about oil once. Apparently on very rare occasions the oil sensor might freak out--nothing was actually wrong and it cleared up with a restart.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

the milk machine posted:

I'd like to gently caress around with my S4 like that... Are all the cables the same thing, or do they vary in features or functionality? I'm new to vw/audi.

Basically it depends on how old your car is. I have a Micro-CAN cable that I use on my Mk 6 GTI that will only work on newer CAN-BUS cars (think Mk5 Golf/Jetta platforms and newer). I got it a while back thinking I'd need to diagnose electrical gremlins and blown coil packs with it, but I haven't had to use it for a single maintenance issue--only tweaks.

...I think I just jinxed my car.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

No. 6 posted:

You're in luck. I have one and just moved to Orlando area. I'd be happy to pull your codes/change settings for you. Send me a PM and I'll give you my details.

I wonder if it'd be a good idea to keep a list of willing people with VCDS cables with their locations. I have a Micro-CAN cable in Austin that I'm willing to share.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Set up an appointment with an Austin indy shop. :)

Could you let me know where you go and how you like them? I'm in Austin and I'll be needing a DSG fluid change soon.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

tolerabletariff posted:

Is there any way of treating the paint job so that it won't look like poo poo within a few weeks?

I'd suggest either washing and waxing it religiously, or just getting the whole thing wrapped professionally.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Uthor posted:

I was going to order a bunch of parts/tools. I always bought from ECS Tuning. Any other store I should look at?

I also have some (more) questions:
Not sure if this is :can:, but oil filter? I always bought OEM. I see Xengst and Mann both being cheaper. Is OEM worth the ~30% price premium?

Transmission oil. ECS has OEM, Red Line, Motul, Royal Purple, and Liqui Moly. I figure OEM here?

Spark plugs. Same thing, have OEM, Bosch, and NGK available. I have no idea what I'm doing here. Also, is an ignition coil pack puller recommended?

Isn't Mann the manufacturer of the OEM filter? I'd run a Mann filter.

I think the OEM plugs are Bosch. I'm currently running the NGKs and they've worked just fine.

Keep in mind VW doesn't manufacture any of these parts themselves. They buy from a few OEMs and package the parts differently. ECS is pretty good at figuring out what the parts actually are and selling them as a cheaper alternative to OEM even though they're the exact same thing.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Just to be sure (the cam follower chat is scaring me): Do TSI engines have cam follower issues as well? I'm coming up on 40,000 miles and am starting to gather parts for the 40,000 mile maintenance.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

No. 6 posted:

I think you'd want the VCDS License with HEX-USB + CAN. You can plug just about any Windows PC into this thing and recode to your hearts content. $350

2013 Beetles can get away with a Micro-CAN for $100 less. If he wants to work with older (think pre-mk5 golf) cars, then he'd need a HEX-USB+CAN.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Prefect Six posted:

Didn't come on during the commute in, so I'll probably wait until I have more time tomorrow.

It'll store the codes-you shouldn't need to wait for it to come back on again.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

antisodachrist posted:

Trying to replace a burned out headlight bulb on a 2011 GTI, but my hands are too big to get enough purchase on the tab to turn it. The gap between the fuse box and the headlight is about 1.5 inches or so. Any alternative method I could use to get leverage?

Do you mean the air box? If so, they aren't too hard to remove. Just look up any cold air intake installation instructions.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Timmy Cruise posted:

Does VAG still put the fuel filter in a stupid spot like in the B5's (above the tank)? That was such a pain in the rear end.

On Mk 5 and 6 golfs, it's tucked under the body right by the rear passenger side wheel. Out of the way, but not too bad to get to (just have to be careful not to get a face full of gas).

smax
Nov 9, 2009

So I noticed a check engine light on my 2011 GTI on the way to work this morning. I got home and pulled the following code:

1 Fault Found:
008583 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle
P2187 - 000 - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 76558 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.05.27
Time: 16:44:11

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 815 /min
Load: 26.3 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 75.0∞C
Temperature: 42.0∞C
Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.716 V

I cleared it and will see if it returns tomorrow. What are the chances that this is a fluke, and what should I be looking for if it isn't?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Dislike button posted:

What happens if you push the button to start the car without first depressing the brake pedal? On my car (not a VW, granted) this will power the accessories without starting the engine.

This works on a MK6 GTI, and I don't think VW would change that behavior for the newer Passats.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I had to clear a CEL in my 2011 GTI again today - it's an intermittent P2187 (system too lean at idle) code. I last cleared it a few weeks ago and it popped up again today. Based on the timing of this one, it appears that it's happening when I first turn the car on, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I have a new fuel filter I've been meaning to install for a while now - I'll take care of that this weekend. Any other ideas what this could be?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

No. 6 posted:

MAF or fuel pump perhaps? Could also be a vacuum leak. You'll need a Vagcom to check out the MAF and a can of carb cleaner to look for vacuum leaks. Let me know if you have access to one and want more info.

I do have a VCDS cable. What do I need to look for with the MAF/fuel pump?

I'm somehow doubting the vacuum leak - this only appears to be happening intermittently and not under load. The engine doesn't seem to be running poorly at all, it's just that sometimes when I start the car up the CEL is on.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

No. 6 posted:

<Useful stuff>

Let me know if you need any further help with logging.

Thanks! I'm doubtful whether logs will help out with this issue since it doesn't appear to be happening under load at all - the only symptom I can see is the single fault popping up under the engine module (the lean at idle code).

Of course, the just code popped up again this morning (two days after resetting it this last time), so it does appear that something is actually up. I'll swap out the fuel filter and drive it another week, play with running some logs, and see if I can get it to pop up again.

This is the first real problem I've had with the car in the 48,000 miles I've owned it. :( I'm hoping this isn't a sign of things to come.

...who am I kidding, I knew what I was getting into when I bought a VW.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

theDOWmustflow posted:

My 2010 VW GTI got totaled this past weekend in a rear-end collision (I was at rest in a traffic jam and got hit from behind by teen going 50mph in a pickup). Total loss adjustor gave me an offer just shy of $19k for the car's value including taxes/fees. Car was at 61,500 miles and was in good condition. Should I take this offer and run? I honestly was expecting an offer of 15k at most.

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I know these cars hold their value pretty well, but $19,000 seems like an insane amount of money for a car with that age and mileage. Take it, run to a dealership, and put it down on a Mk7.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

No. 6 posted:

Regarding fuel pumps, you can do a cursory check of the fuel system by looking for fault codes with VCDS, otherwise you might need to pay for a diagnostic from VW/Audi. I needed Audi to hook up a tool and monitor fuel pressure constantly.

For the MAF, you can get a good idea of what's up by doing a 3rd gear pull from 1k RPM to redline while logging your RPM, and MAF grains/sec block. Not sure which block it is for your motor, my 4.2 was logged on block 039 for MAF, and 004 for RPM.

You can take the results and make a quick graph in Excel to get a good view. Here’s my end result along with the A/F trim for each bank:

Let me know if you need any further help with logging.

I forgot to post to give this issue some closure: I turned out to be a failed PCV. I had it fixed a few weeks ago and the car's been happy ever since.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Hey I have a question if the VW dealer is ripping my parents off.

So recently their 2011 Jetta TDI somehow got gas in it. The dealer says it going to take several thousand $s to fix it. My dad said thats bull and all they have to do is flush the fuel system. Opinions?

If I remember correctly, that typically results in a grenaded high pressure fuel pump on recent diesels and the entire fuel system has to be ripped out and replaced.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Trying to buy a reliable car for my best friend's daughter, who just started college. 2001 Passat, 140k miles, $3900 in northwest Atlanta. I think it's priced high, and judging by the mechanical failure/terrible car stuff threads, this car would be very hard to work on ourselves.

What do you guys think?

Which engine?

Of course most VWs of that vintage are in the run-the-hell-away category.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

4 cylinder turbo.

And yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's up to her parents, and they usually listen to me.

Yeeeep. Run away, especially from the 1.8T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Seems like standard salesperson crap.