Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
I've got a 2015 s3 that I've had for a couple years (read: still under the cpo warranty). I'm kinda interested in getting a tune and a couple parts swapped out. I saw APR has an option where they'll cover the powertrain for a couple hundred extra bucks. Is this all a dumb idea? Never messed with the ecu on my previous cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

joe944 posted:

The APR tune with a warranty is extremely weak.

Get a JB4 and call it a day if you are worried about warranty. I have one from my R that I haven't gotten around to selling yet...

Yeah. I'm in a position where I could handle something going wrong, otherwise I wouldn't be considering it at all. I should probably just buck up and do it. Thanks for the input.

Something Offal posted:

Not answering your question, but can you write a little bit about your experience with the '15 S3? Have you enjoyed it, would you make the same decision again, etc? Did you buy a 1-year used model?

Yes, 1 year used, got it CPO with about 7k miles on it. It's been a fantastic car! A lot of fun to drive, very reliable so far. Handles great too, maybe a little light on feedback. The traction control is almost a little too good. I haven't experimented with throwing it around corners with the traction control lowered/off, but when it's it'll just calmly, politely understeer until it gets grip back. Admittedly I'm still under 30k miles so plenty of time to go wrong, but no regrets yet. My only complaints are that the standard drive mode has a very non-linear response, so the first couple inches of pedal travel barely do anything, then you hit a kick-down point and all of a sudden it's going hard. So I normally leave it in sport mode, though that has its own weird bits too. Like even under moderate to low acceleration, it'll hold onto 2nd gear up to like, 5500rpm. This is one of the things that I've read an ECU+TCU tune can address though.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Today my EPC light came on while driving to work. Car started running rougher, shifting oddly and had virtually no throttle. I got to work, turned the car off and back on - light was gone and it was driving totally normally. I drove home (25mi) and didn't have any problem. Is this something I should take to get checked out or wait until it reoccurs? 2015 audi s3 w/ 34k miles, regular maintenance, etc.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
I posted a while ago about my EPC light coming on in a 2015 audi s3. Got a VAG odb/their code reader, no regular engine codes but some of the VW ones mentioned cylinder misfirings and an electrical fault. It hasnt happened again in a week but I had to get it previously serviced for an engine mistiming that disabled a cylinder. Back to the shop for me I imagine

E: code was P130A00 - hide cylinder, along with a couple about 1st and 4th cylinder misfiring

A Man With A Plan fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 6, 2019

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Styles Bitchley posted:

Isn't this under powertrain warranty? Take it to a dealership and tell them to fix their poo poo.

Hopefully it's just bad coil packs or something.

yeah it is, it's just a pain in the rear end and means wasting a bunch of my time.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Something Offal posted:

How close are you to the warranty date? That's a 4 yr / 50k mile is it not?

Definitely not a given that a '15 would be within that, average amount of miles would put you over 50k by 2019.

I got it CPO 2 years ago, so i'm good. Thanks for checking though.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
If your wife is a VAG certified mechanic, maybe ok?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

MetaJew posted:

We'll, we're both sad about not getting Kermit, but we got a pretty good deal+trade on this 2016 TTS and white was the second choice if we couldn't get an outrageous color.

Dude that's sweet, enjoy!

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/business/Audi-Recalls-Nearly-75000-Vehicles-Due-to-Fire-Risk-506714831.html

Tl;dr a6, a7, and q7 from 2016-8 might catch on fire, watch for a recall notice

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Styles Bitchley posted:

Is there anything wrong or particularly crappy about A3s that makes them so cheap? I'm seeing 2015-2016 models with less than 30k miles for under $20k. These are quattro models, compared to Golf Rs still over $30k with the same age and mileage.

The A3 seems to take a huge depreciation hit so a great value to get lightly used. If anyone has one chime in how you like it. I would be coming from a Mk6 GTI with Stage 1 tune and would like to move into an AWD model.

Golf Rs are more comparable with an S3, which is still usually around 25-30k ime

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

tyrelhill posted:

i have had a 2018 rs3 for over a year now and its the best performance daily you can get imo

its like right above the level of being too fast for normal roads

if you buy new get the tech package the virtual dash is top notch

biggest pain points off the lot are it murders quarts of oil (way more than a normal audi) and the pirelli tires are not super great

i replaced the tires with some ps4s at around 8k miles

short answer: car is fast as gently caress

Gah it hurts to hear that, I badly wanted one when I was car shopping in 2016 but was on a time crunch and there were none used, so I got an s3. Now I'm in position I could shop for one but not dumb enough to waste a ton of money for additional power I can't really use.

On another note, I recently got the APR stage 1 ecu and tcu tune, and I'm pretty happy with it. The extra oomph isn't outrageous but it's noticeable, and the shifting/gear selection is way better. To the point where my mileage went up 3-4mpg

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Any engine is a diesel engine if you put diesel fuel in it thinking_head_point.png

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

No one has any experiences with an S3?

Sorry must have missed this. I have a 2015 s3 that I bought 1 year used, since then I've put about 40k miles on it. I've had no real maintenance issues, only thing requiring service outside of routine stuff was a cylinder misfire tied back to a wonky plug and coil. I might just be getting lucky. It's my first AWD car so I can't easily compare them, but I think the quattro does a good job. Helps get started in slick situations and if you're turning does excellent work keeping it in pretty mild understeer. If you're looking to drift it's probably not the car for you. I'd say it's pretty fun - though there's a big difference in performance feel depending on how you manage the turbo.

Mine doesn't have the backup camera but does have Bluetooth. I use it every day for music and phone and it's good though nothing standout. Doesn't compare of course with apple/android car.

My biggest gripe is the default transmission map is a little annoying. In normal Drive it shifts up super early and the throttle goes 0-100 almost unexpectedly past a certain pedal position. The sport mode has a lot better and more linear feel, but sometimes holds gears way too long even under reasonably soft acceleration. Like, keeping it in 2nd until almost 40 mph when leaving a light and driving normally. So either way it's best to manage with paddle shifters a bit.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

SchrodingersCat posted:

I am looking at picking up a used 2015 Golf R, 49k miles, $26,000. Three previous owners.

The car I am looking at has aftermarket extensions for the paddle shifters installed, which makes me think the car may have been beat on. I don't see someone putting extensions on a daily driver. Am I being ridiculous here?

I'd say not unreasonable that at least one owner was hard on it. Also that price feels a little high. I have a 2015 audi s3, same mileage, I'm the second owner, and I'd be surprised to get 26k. Obviously idk your local market though

E: is this a dealer or private sale?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Congrats and enjoy my dream car!

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Probably slightly more hp but not "better" in any real sense

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I too think companies should not make products that people want to buy

Same which is why I keep writing letters to car companies demanding more high hp wagons

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Well thread, my 2015 S3 decided to have trouble starting beginning last night. It gives a couple tries, and usually fails with either Pre-Sense System Fault or a TPMS error on the dash, though a few others have showed up. The infotainment comes up fine though. I had marginally more success starting it from neutral. As of today the touch unlock doesn't seem to be working reliably either. No codes of note when I pulled them. Anyone want to take bets on the cause? Going to the dealer monday because I have minimal ability to work on it (no multimeter, etc)

E: my hope is the battery just undervolting things and getting all kinds of weird failures

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

A Man With A Plan posted:

Well thread, my 2015 S3 decided to have trouble starting beginning last night. It gives a couple tries, and usually fails with either Pre-Sense System Fault or a TPMS error on the dash, though a few others have showed up. The infotainment comes up fine though. I had marginally more success starting it from neutral. As of today the touch unlock doesn't seem to be working reliably either. No codes of note when I pulled them. Anyone want to take bets on the cause? Going to the dealer monday because I have minimal ability to work on it (no multimeter, etc)

E: my hope is the battery just undervolting things and getting all kinds of weird failures

Update if anyone cares - it was indeed the battery. Not gonna complain!

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

flightless greeb posted:

I'm trying to consolidate down to one car that "does it all" which will prolly end up being a BMW grancoupe or like a fancy Merc wagon. Sadly I don't have AMG or RS6 money tho :(

Get the MB wagon and throw a tune on it and you're basically there, unless you're planning to track the family station wagon. That's basically my eventual car goal

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
I've only seen one in the wild, they make a hell of a statement. Can't imagine daily driving one though

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
The steering column marker is for when the fob's battery is dead, the fobs also have a passive RFID emitter that's read there. So you hold the dead fob to it and you can use the push button start

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Question for the thread that I can't find an answer on:

I've got a 2015 s3 with an APR downpipe amd stage 2 ecu. I recently started getting a CEL, code reader says it's the front O2 sensor heater circuit. My usual shop (who did the tune) is having troubles getting the sensor due to supply issues my understanding is the stage 2 ECU disables the O2 sensor anyway - so is there any big downside to just driving with it as-is for now?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

Depends which o2 sensor it is. I believe only the rear has a heater circuit but I'm not 100% on this. Assuming it's the rear, it's probably not a huge deal to keep driving it. If it's the front then having it dead will tank your gas mileage because you'll always be in open loop and dumping a ton of fuel "just in case." If it's the rear, it's only job is to monitor if the cat is still alive. Does your new downpipe have a cat?

Downpipe does have a cat, and the code specifically says front O2 sensor. I keep a rough track of the mpg I'm getting and it's maybe a few worse, like 24 down to 20-1. I'm more immediately concerned about damage or fouling the fuel system or something. I'm not a car expert by any means

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

If it's the front then it's not going to hurt anything but your mileage. The ECU uses the front sensor's feedback to determine how much fuel to inject into the engine. Now it'll just default to "more" since it doesn't know better. Maybe if only the heater circuit is dead and it works fine when it warms up then it functions mostly normally? No idea how VW does their engine management code but worst case is more fuel burnt. Potential damage to the downstream cat possible I guess too?

I'm going to get it fixed, for me it's mostly a question of expediency. Really appreciate the advice!

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

dialhforhero posted:

What does this company actually do well?

Take our money mostly

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

shame on an IGA posted:

because there's a V10 TDI Touareg

Listen just be a man and buy a W12 Phaeton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Residency Evil posted:

I remember seeing one for sale at a local car show for like 10k.

Probably too much.

If that price includes 8k of pre-paid maintenance, maybe not