Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I've recently bought some mk4 r32 calipers for my mk4 gti. I've got 17 inch mk1 audi tt 6 spoke ronal alloy wheels. Now i've seen r32's with these wheels on and the brakes can fit behind these wheels, but i'm not sure if i'm going to need spacers or not due to the size of the caliper.
I'm not 100% sure what the ET of these wheels are, googling has failed me so far but i seem to remember et35 as a number in my head for these. Can anyone tell me what size spacers I might need if any? I would hate to go and fit them and find that the wheels won't go on afterwards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of diverter valves. Anyone else running a chipped 1.8t? Wondering how long before I kill my dv with this new program.

I'm running a chipped mk4 1.8t, the place i got it done said the standard one should hold up, but i replaced it with a forge motorsport diverter valve anyway. I say replace it anyway, it's improved the throttle response on mine and it seems like theres less turbo lag (could just be me though).

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I have a question i hope you can help me with,
I'm looking to put mk4 r32 front brakes on my mk4 1.8t. I have all the parts except the splash guards for the discs on the front. I've tried ringing my local VW dealer but they want a chassis ID which obviously I can't give them. I was wondering if anyone can find out what the part numbers would be for these parts?
I'm in the UK so i don't know if the part numbers will translate from the USA.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

PoopinClumpin posted:

Is this what you want? http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-R32_MKIV--3.2/Braking/OEM/ES6675/

I think the part number is probably the same.

I don't think its that exact one that says for the rear rotors, but i did have a flick through the website and I think i found the ones i want. I'll ring them tomorrow when they open and see if the numbers match.

Thanks!

EDIT: that website is awesome i wish we had something comparable in the UK

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 1, 2011

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Drivers side heated seat stopped working in my mk4 gti with recaro seats if it matters. Passenger side heats up fine. Tried swapping the switches over, still the same, checked the fuse, thats ok. I have tried unplugging and plugging it back in under the seat. I'm at home and its dark so i'll have to wait to work to get a multimeter but any ideas what it could be or what to check next?
I hope its not the seat element. :(

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

my1999gsr posted:

Its the seat element. To check, pull out the switch for the heater that isn't working and check the resistance between the black/yellow wire and the brown wire (IIRC) in the harness. Anything more than 3.5 ohms is a bad seat element which means a new seatcover since the element is integrated into the fabric.

2.5 ohms on the passenger side, open circuit drivers side. got voltage at the plug under the seat both sides so its a bad element i guess! Thanks my1999gsr.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Blakkout posted:

Just ordered a pair of Silverstar Ultras to replace my low beam bulbs. I'm pretty confident in my ability to swap a bulb, but there's a vent on the passenger side that I need to remove to get to the fixture (top right picture). Any suggestions on how to do this? Can I just pry that part of the vent out?

Might help if you told us what the car is.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

timb posted:

A) If there's enough coolant in the container to cover the sensor prongs, there has to be a problem in the wiring, right?

I'd probably start with the sensor itself first before tearing into the wiring.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

movax posted:

I wandered over to Audizine and browsed through the forums there; awful content and posters aside, there was a cheap modification mentioned that involved tossing the RS4 sway bar onto a B6 or B7 for an improvement in handling, especially on tight corners.

It's cheap ($150) and I have the tools, but is it really going to make a noticeable difference if the rest of the suspension components are all still stock?

If you drive your car hard enough everywhere that the body roll is enough to currently bother you, then go for it, otherwise these sorts of mods work best in conjunction with other suspension work. IE, an RS4 will already have better suspension components than yours.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm surprised they went back to urea, maybe the DPF failures were too common? or the parts are too expensive?

It probably has both

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
This seems to be a case of fudging it to pass lab/static emissions tests, cars are failing to meet emissions standards in europe too.

I guess VW were the first ones to get caught actually messing with it.

For the people worrying if your car is ruined, it isn't, most diesel cars can't stay under the emissions level outside a test environment in more strenuous conditions. Such as going up a hill.

Diesel vehicles are getting banned in Paris by 2020 apparently.

http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/ICCT_PEMS-study_diesel-cars_2014_factsheet_EN.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I just had a quick look at a wiring diagram (it was for a 2002 model so i dunno) and it looks like the door contact switches connect straight to the instrument cluster, and the interior lights are controlled by the central locking control unit. Have fun!