Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'd get a new crush washer first and see if that works. I can't tell you many oil leaks I've fixed on various cars with just a new washer on the plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Are there any other GT28/k04 kits for MKV GTI's besides the one from ATP? I know there is the APR one but at $4200 it's a bit pricy. Didn't Eurojet used to make one as well? I can't seem to find it anymore.

From what I've been able to find the ATP one seems to be cheapest but doesn't include the HPFP, injectors, or software.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

movax posted:

Pulled some coupons out of my rear end and used some $50 Audi service card I got, so it was "only" $160 to have the dealer put in a new OEM battery for me and clear all the codes.

The Audi system had 0 record of the battery ever being replaced before and the service guy said with its condition, it looked like the original battery, so I guess 6 years and 64k miles isn't a bad run. Didn't stop me from buying a portable jump-starter as a knee-jerk reaction though. Never again!

I've also been entertaining the idea of getting a VAG-COM cable to play around with stuff...$350 is a good chunk of change though, any opinions on it?

Get one of these and then download VCDS.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

movax posted:

That's much better. Thought VCDS was only sold with the cable though (cable acts as HW dongle), or do I need VCDS-Lite?

Or did I miss a very subtle suggestion in your post?

I wasn't aware the cable acted as a dongle, you could try it anyways the worst that will happen is that it won't work and in that case just use VCDS-Lite.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Does anybody have any experience with re-manufactured turbos from Rock Auto? I've got a B8 Audi A4 and the little pressed pin on the wastegate arm is loose so it won't boost past 14psi. My local shop wants 3 grand for an OEM Audi turbo, which for that price I might as well just upgrade to a k04. But Rock Auto sells re-manufactured turbos from Mahle/Clevite for about $900 plus a core charge.

I would like to just get the re-manufactured turbo if I can, but I have no idea about the quality of Mahle/Clevite parts. Will it last another 100,000km? Or will it just last 20?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If I were going to keep the car as a forever car I'd probably go OEM. If I were planning to sell the car in the moderately near future I would slap the reman turbo on there.

Murgos posted:

If you have to replace it 2 more time in the next 100,000km is the hassle not worth it? What if it's just once more?

I hear what you guys are saying, and I guess it depends on how long I decide to keep this car for. I haven't really thought about it, but I guess if I were to put a reman unit in here and it fails after 50K or so I'd probably just sell it and get something else (see if I can find a cheap S4 or something).

I'm also not 100% sure yet that it is the wastegate. All I have to go on so far is the butt dyno and the logs showing a lack of boost. The car hasn't popped a P0299 code yet, and I haven't been able to get underneath the car or remove the intake to wiggle the actuation rod. It could be the N75 valve for all I know (though I don't know how common of an issue that is on the B8, or even really how to diagnose it). I do however have an alternative option that isn't a new turbo:

Forge Adjustable Wastegate Actuator - This replacement actuator won't fix the wobbly actuator rod issue, but you can adjust the length on it to make it a bit longer and press the wastegate into position. It's also only $200, and would be a much, much easier install.

Once I get home, I'm going to check the wastegate rod and see if it wobbles.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

good luck selling an audi with a blown turbo

I've got a good deal with my local shop. I'll sell it to them and they'll fix it and sell it on. Hell, if they have an S4 maybe we can work out a trade-in deal.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

go with god, then!

UPDATE:

After taking a bunch more logs and talking with the guys at Audizine it's looking like the issue isn't with the actuator arm itself, but with the flapper wheel inside the exhaust housing. I still have to pull the cat off to confirm, but if that's the case then it's new turbo time. Fortunately for me CTS Turbo is down the road from my house, and I'm going to be heading over there to see what they have in the area of k04's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

VelociBacon posted:

Oh no way, I'm in New W.

I've used RPI Equipped before and had a very good experience - maybe you can chat with them too and see what they can offer you.

Hah, small world.

I've gotten in touch with Malone Tuning in Surrey who made the ECU tune I flashed. They're going through some logs now and will let me know when they figure it out.