Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Autism Sundae posted:

I paid attention to this today and my GTI doesn't do anything like it, I can take off from a stop pretty smoothly as long as I don't gently caress up a shift. So maybe your issue is worth a trip to the dealer, although they probably won't be happy about boost gauges etc.

The 6-speed in my GTI is notchy but not to the point of grinding gears or anything. I don't have to push hard to get it into the gate, it just needs to be lined up with the gate properly, much more strict/less loose than other manual transmissions. Your gearbox is definitely abnormal though, being notchy and grinding gears aren't the same.

I have found the throttle response in my GTI to be a little unusual from time to time at low revs, above and beyond normal turbo lag. As far as the shifter feel goes, I think I've best heard it described as "rubbery", and it does feel a bit notchy, though I only actually ground gears in it once when I booted the clutch shifting into 5th. I think 1-2 is a bit too widely spaced and that shift is unnecessarily difficult to make smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Dr. Jackal posted:

tl;dr
want to buy TDI but unsure about the gas savings/real advantages that warrants 5k in price.

You can do some back-of-envelope calculations to figure out how much you'd have to drive in order to see a cost savings by buying the TDI. Basically unless you spend most of your waking hours on the road, you probably wouldn't see any savings in the expected lifetime of the vehicle.

I was in a similar position to you last year. I nearly bought a 2-door TDI Golf and wound up buying a GTI instead when the TDI had been sold, and I don't regret that decision. I also chose a manual over the DSG and haven't regretted that either, although the test drive was a bit hair-raising. The trick is to not reflexively lift your left foot up off the clutch as soon as the car starts to move. Once you get that down, it's just a matter of learning to shift in a way that won't make people in the back toss their liverwurst.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

This isn't really a question but more of a comment since this seems to be the new VW general discussion thread. I came to the UK a few days ago on a visit, and Avis rented us a new 2010 Golf BlueMotion. Why don't they sell this in the US? This car is excellent and gets approximately 1 trillion miles per gallon (rated at 74.3 mpg for combined cycle in Imperial gallons, or about 61.8 mpg in US gallons), but for everything but balls-out driving seems every bit as good as my GTI. All the torque is available from 1500 RPM on and the clutch action seems a lot smoother and less jumpy than in the GTI. If this engine had been available when I bought my current car, it would have definitely made it a much more difficult decision.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

my1999gsr posted:

VW corporate is really, really picky about what vehicles come to the North American market. I would guess that the reason we don't offer any of the performance-oriented diesel hatches is that they would cannibalize the sales of the GTI - which is also the reason we don't get the Scirocco. The other problem is that VW is still very much a niche brand on this continent. The typical figure we're given is that 20% of V.A.G vehicle sales come from North America and the rest from the European markets. Because of this VW has traditionally been reluctant to expand their engine and model options. The last time anyone tried it was bringing the Phaeton to North America and rumor is that the executive that spearheaded that move was fired for it.

Maybe my perspective is a little skewed because I live in an area (in the US) where a lot of people drive VWs, Saabs, and Volvos. I googled a bit and found an article claiming VW was considering bringing the Polo BlueMotion to the States. It's hard to imagine that VW wouldn't be able to find buyers for a car that gets 75 mpg. It also seems to me that there's such a paucity of good diesel options in the US still that VW could fill that vacuum by bringing some more of their European engine options over before any other manufacturer can try to get a foothold there, but maybe they feel like they need to win more marketshare with what US drivers consider conventional options first.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Autism Sundae posted:

It's not that they wouldn't find buyers, they're not convinced if they can find enough buyers to justify the expense of going through the whole process of bringing the cars over here.

America and Europe also have different transportation needs, and not many people here in the States want a small car. We can argue whether people actually need SUVs and all that crap, but the general lifestyle and infrastructure in the US drives people towards larger cars. In Europe it can be prohibitively expensive to own a huge V8 SUV or truck.

I feel like the "different transportation needs" thing is kind of a canard; probably 90%+ of people in the US could do just as well with a smaller vehicle. There are surely a lot of people out there with an Explorer or Suburban who have probably never used it to actually do something it can do that something like a Golf or Mondeo wagon couldn't do. I don't deny that long-distance travel is more prevalent in the US, or that rural users have different needs from urban users, but then again, most of the world have survived with Hiluxes and Transits without issue for decades.

The US seems to be warming up to smaller, more fuel-efficient cars, even if the process seems glacial. I doubt Ford would have brought the Fiesta over largely unchanged from Europe if they thought it wasn't going to sell. I occasionally see a Chrysler 300 or a minivan, and today I saw an old Caprice on the road. No idea why anyone would import that over to England. :psyduck:

Anyway, enough derailing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chutwig fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 6, 2010

chutwig
May 28, 2001

On Autism Sundae's topic of GTI door seals, are you familiar with any issues of whistling door deals on the 2010s? My car, which is a 2-door, definitely has noticeable wind noise and whistling coming from the gap between the driver's door and the B-pillar at speeds of about 60 mph and above. I've found a number of other people on other VW forums mentioning the same problem and saying it was a pretty simple fix, but I haven't been able to convince my dealer the problem exists. Are you aware of any service bulletins or anything like that that I could reference when asking them to look at the problem again in September?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

My door is creaky too, and having driven a 4-door Golf in the UK for the past 2 weeks without hearing any of these noises from either the front left or front right doors, my car's squeaks from the doors are definitely a little out of the usual. Makes me think I should have gotten the 4-door one instead, but oh well. Thanks for the TSB number, if I have trouble convincing them I'll mention it.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Anjow posted:

This thread shows a Mk2 Golf in the OP. I assume it's in the US. I'm in the UK and we had a Mk2 Golf but I'm sure it had round headlights. Were the US ones different?

I believe that VWs made at the Westmoreland, PA plant in the US came with square headlights instead of round ones. I don't know if it was a DOT thing or if the suppliers just provided square headlights here.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Autism Sundae posted:

Is that for an MKV? I don't think my GTI consumes any noticeable amounts of oil, my first oil change was at 4K and second one at 7K just now but I didn't see any major changes when checking oil levels.

MkV engine has a reputation for eating a fair amount of oil. I seem to recall the quote being 1qt per 2000 miles as being within acceptable limits, notwithstanding that you could end up with basically an empty oil pan after 10k while still being within VW's tolerances for oil consumption. I believe the Mk6 engine does not have the same issue. I'm at about 6300 miles now and haven't noticed anything when checking my oil, and I haven't had it changed yet.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

My '10 GTI decided to be a Volkswagen today and gave me an EPC light when I started it up away from home. It wasn't accompanied by a CEL and the engine didn't seem to be running roughly, so I got it home. Once I got home, I stopped and started the engine again after a few moments and the EPC light didn't reappear. I don't have a VAG-COM to read whatever code was thrown. Should I be particularly concerned, or should I just chalk it up to bad gas or stray cosmic particles? I'm due for the yearly service appointment at the end of the month, so I'll mention it to them one way or another, but I'd appreciate hearing from the resident VW expert on whether I should try to move the service appointment up.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Autism Sundae posted:

How many miles do you have on it now? I asked about this earlier in the thread, and I don't think error codes are cleared automatically so if dealer scans your car they should get the code and hopefully shed some light on this. Maybe my1999gsr knows more. I don't know how long errors stay in the system though.

6400 now, had it since November.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Autism Sundae posted:

Does it make a noise when you're driving? Can you post a picture?

I can hear something making a tap-tap-tap noise on the left side, sounds like it's from the rear.. it's not loud enough most of the time, but when I'm driving along a divider or wall I can hear it very clearly. It's like a mechanical pencil click, and gets faster or slower depending on car's speed. I was thinking it's the rear tire, any other ideas?

I hear the same thing from my GTI, sounds like a tick-tick-tick coming from the front wheel well, I can only hear it if it's echoing off a wall or other cars.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Autism Sundae posted:

Yeah, what the hell is that? It's one of those things that you never even consider until you hear it once and then it keeps bothering you. Is yours on the left side?

Thanks for the pic JHVH, my tires don't have anything like that.. can yours be fixed or is it new tire time?

Yeah, I can only hear it from the front left. It sounds like a rhythmic squeaking or scraping that speeds up as I speed up. I have no idea what it is.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Autism Sundae posted:

Thanks :thumbsup: How was Cuba by the way? I'd like to go sometime next year.

By the way, haven't seen this posted: Insideline dynoed their long-term GTI and MS3, and found GTI to be underrated (they measured 199hp and 214lbs/ft average).

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2010/10/dyno-testing-the-2010-mazdaspeed-3-and-2010-volkswagen-gti.html

That's on 91, too. Anecdotally, I heard that 93 provides slightly more power, but I don't know if it's true and I can't tell the difference with the butt dyno.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

minivanmegafun posted:

If it's the same iPod adapter they've been using since '08, it's not iPhone Compatible anyhow. It won't charge your phone, even if it will play music off of it.

Works fine with my iPhone 4. Actually, I think it works better than it did with the 3G, which would bitch about how the adapter wasn't 3G-compatible. I'm pretty sure that the phone displays that incompatibility message when it detects something trying to charge it via the FireWire charge pins on the dock connector. The iPhone 4 probably doesn't even have the FireWire power pins connected to anything any more.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Antigen v2.0 posted:

I have a 2010 GTI, I love it so far, no serious issues yet *fingers crossed*, and no major rattles either. Slight wind noise from the drivers side that VW claims doesn't exist, only really audible going 80 and even then not a big deal at all. Common on 3 door models according to other VW forums. All that said, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable owning out of warranty unless I had major coin to drop fixing it.

I've had mine since Thanksgiving 2009 with almost no problems. They fixed the driver door whistle noise after mygsr gave me a TSB code referring to the problem. The only other problems I have had are:
  • one time I started the car and the ECU light came on, then disappeared after I restarted the engine
  • one time I started the car and the fuel gauge sender decided to go on strike so the fuel gauge was on E until I restarted the car

That's it. Other than that, it's been great. No rattles, no complaints about build quality. I think Autism Sundae's right to complain about his car if it has all the problems he says it has, but based on my experiences I do think he probably had some bad luck and got a bit of a lemon.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Autism Sundae posted:

oh yeah chutwig, maybe ask the dealer to scan for codes next time you're in for service? It sounds like you have some kind of minor electrical malfunction.

I think the minor electrical malfunction is called "owning a Volkswagen".

chutwig
May 28, 2001

teh jhey posted:

Is there any point in turning on the fog lights on the GTI?

This may be more appropriate for the "general questions" thread, but I'm not sure if they're just particularly useless on the GTI.

On the few occasions where I've used them they made a slight difference but it's not exactly melting the fog with laser beams or anything. Using them when there's no fog is obviously a dick move.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

This is probably kind of far out there, but has anyone else had problems with their AM radio? I have a 2010 GTI with the touchscreen satellite radio (no GPS) and sometimes the AM radio just refuses to work. I get faint static on every band. Satellite and FM both work fine, and usually at some later point in the journey, I switch back to AM and it's working again. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the radio itself because of situations where I'm listening to an AM station, turn the car off, start the car again, and all of a sudden that station is gone and replaced by faint static. Unless the government is :tinfoil: tracking me and interfering with my AM radio :tinfoil:...

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Bovine Delight posted:

Did you get your windows tinted? If so, was it metallic? Metallic tint can jack up reception.

Nope, no tint. It's pretty random, and I have the shark fin antenna on top of my car.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Anyone know anything about problems with hesitation on recent TDIs? My co-worker and his wife bought a 2011 Golf TDI and occasionally it has what he describes as a kind of hesitation or bogging down in the engine that resolves after a little while. He's quite car-competent and does most of his own work, but this one is a little mystifying. They took it to the dealer and the dealer reportedly performed some sort of firmware upgrade, but I don't think that resolved the problem for him.

Anyone experienced this with their TDI or know what the root cause is, and whether or not it's innocuous?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Okay, I had a moment of critical stupidity while checking fluids and cleaning leaves out from under the hood, and shut the hood on the driver's side windshield wiper arm and broke it off near the spindle. Any idea how much labor is going to be involved in replacing that on a 2010 GTI? I figure I deserve to get dinged at least several hundred bucks for my 2 seconds of "gee, the hood is harder to closer than usual".

EDIT: I went back down to see if I could move the passenger side arm to the driver side as a temporary solution and removed the retaining bolt from the spindle but my tiny little T-rex arms were not strong enough to pull the arm off the spindle even after removing the bolt. Is there a trick to removing this thing?

chutwig fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 10, 2011

chutwig
May 28, 2001

I got the fuckers off finally, naturally cracking the very bottom of the windshield in doing so. The passenger's side arm hits the A-pillar on each sweep on the driver's side, but it's better than nothing until I can get them replaced and also have an auto glass place try to fix the crack in the windshield. The moral of this story is I am bad at cars and my car now has every reason to hate me.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

my1999gsr posted:

News for 2009 and up TDI Golf/Jetta! Duct tape off the air inlet vent at the leading edge of the hood if you live in an area that can get below freezing. 20+ TDI cars have come into the dealership on the hook for no-starts due to ice plugging the intercooler. Best case scenario - the ice melts gradually and your car will start and run. Worse case scenario - the starter burns out trying to start the car. Worst case scenario - ice melts rapidly, enters the engine while running and hydrolocks resulting in catastrophic engine damage. There is a retro fit kit on the way but we can't get them yet. Some dealers may have some in stock.

Is there a TSB on this? I mentioned this to my friend who has a 2011 Golf TDI and he asked his dealer about it while they were doing the fuel injector recall, but they hadn't heard anything about it.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

shyguy posted:

This might be more of a general question, but I feel as if I'm having buyer's remorse over my '11 GTI. I've had it since June and have put 5K miles on it, and it hasn't skipped a beat. I love it right now, but I feel like a year or two down the line I'm gonna have some soul-crushing and wallet-emptying issue with it.

Is this normal? Please talk me down :ohdear:

I've had my GTI since Thanksgiving 2009 with 20,000+ miles on it and here is everything that has gone wrong:
  • 1 EPC light which went away when I restarted the car
  • 1 episode of fuel gauge bitchiness where it read E after a fillup until I restarted the car

So what I'm saying is, things could go horribly wrong, or nothing could go wrong. I haven't had anything go wrong and I hope it lasts beyond the powertrain warranty. I'm sure something will go wrong down the line, but the car hasn't given me any reason to assume I should be expecting a disaster event.

Tab8715 posted:

How would you guys rate the reliability of a 2001 Passat GLS Wagon at 120k for $5k?

As far I can tell it's been garaged it's whole life and the interior is literally perfect.

Could be fine, but VWs of that era have a hard-earned reputation for emulating British Leyland products for electrical reliability.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Bovril Delight posted:

The 2.0T engine has oil consumption issues, yes. Google "2.0T oil consumption" and you'll get about a billion hits.

I think the EA113 is the 2.0T model with the major oil consumption issues. The EA888 is supposed to resolve most or all of them, and anecdotally, my Mk6 GTI hasn't started burning oil in 20k+ miles. Not sure which one the quoted car has, though.

chutwig fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 13, 2012

chutwig
May 28, 2001

an oddly awful oud posted:

So I've found a B5 Passat locally that's dirt cheap but it has a transmission problem. It's a 2.8 with the 5-speed. The owner says it needs a new clutch, but the car is actually immobile and cannot get into gear at all. My questions are this:

1. I've never done a clutch job before. How difficult will this be to do in my driveway? This would just be a small project car, not my DD, so it's not an issue of time or hurry. Just talent.

2. How bad a shape must the clutch be in to have no shifting whatsoever, and how much could I potentially have to replace as far as flywheel, friction plate, fork, etc.?

When you say can't get into gear at all, how do you mean? Does the shift lever move freely but you can or can't feel the dog teeth grind? Clutch pedal goes to the floor without resistance?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

siliciferous posted:

The car is bonkers, and only tends to get the attention of the people who know exactly what they're looking at which is kind of nice.

I saw my first Mk6 R in the wild yesterday on 295, a blue one with Virginia plates being driven by a guy who looked to be in his early 40s. I pulled up alongside in my GTI and honked and we shared a special VW bonding moment before he pulled out and gave it the beans. They are extremely handsome.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

movax posted:

Got my A4 taken back to dealer so they can destroy my irritating sunroof squeaking/creaking for once and for all. Got a 2012 A4 as a loaner...mmmf, feels snappier and the body styling is definitely way more aggressive than my 2006.

Though, I am getting my windshield replaced this Saturday (the crack in it has grown to around 10" long at this point), am I dooming myself to a lifetime of whistling air leaks and increased road noise?

I had my GTI's windshield replaced by Safelite after I cracked it, and apart from the car smelling like glue for a few months and giving me a bit of a head buzz, it hasn't caused any extra road noise.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

siliciferous posted:

Did you compare the price of Safelite supplied glass and OEM, and if you did how did the prices compare?

I didn't do any price comparisons because I needed the car for a road trip the next day and didn't want to do it with a rapidly growing crack in the windshield. Satellite ended up being just a hair under $500, which I thought was relatively reasonable given that they come out and do everything.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

movax posted:

Sporting some sweet Chinese glass now:

That's funny, I got OEM VW glass from Safelite. Has the OEM Saint-Gobain stamp and a VW logo and all that.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

tropical posted:

Hey guys! This week, after 9 years of driving it, I sold my 2001 Jetta TDI and bought a 2012 GTI. Holy poo poo what a difference, the car is amazing. However, I've got a question about how I should be driving it due to 9 years of driving a diesel and being new to a 6-speed manual.

With the TDI, I shifted to keep the engine close to 2000rpm (except when accelerating, obviously) to prevent lugging the engine, plus the car seemed to want to be driven at that rpm so power is always available when I stepped on it.

Obviously things are different with the GTI - gas engine, 6 gears, but still turbocharged. The manual recommends a "3rd gear at 30km/h, 4th gear at 40km/h, etc" rule of thumb, and the MFD alerts me that I can shift up depending on speed, etc. How should I be driving? Is it "bad" to stomp on it when I'm cruising around at ~1400rpm in 5th/6th gear? Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated!

The 2.0T starts peak torque at 1800 RPM and realistically you can upshift so that you land at around 1600 RPM in the next gear, if you really want to be a miser. I think the MFD's recommendations for upshifting are way too conservative and absurdly low. I tend to shift around 2500 RPM when not flogging it, though the 1-2 shift is a lot smoother if you wind the engine out to about 3500 RPM. 1st gear is way too short in my opinion and feels almost like a crawler gear.

As for mileage, I don't recall mine changing much before and after break-in. If you're gentle on the highways, you can generally stay below 7.0L/100km while doing 75 MPH/120 kph. The one time I blew a tire and had to drive 100 miles on the NJTP on the donut while staying below 55 mph, I did about 5.5L/100km that whole trip, so the moral of the story is drive slow. :v:

chutwig
May 28, 2001

shyguy posted:

I feel as if the mk6 GTI should have a taller 6th gear. It's not as smooth cruising at highway speed as I think it could be.

I also agree with that. 6th gear feels almost vestigial on this transmission. It's really not necessary for this engine to have to turn at 3000 RPM to do 80 MPH.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Have any of you guys used an iPhone 5 with your MDI cables/GTIs? I'm hoping I can charge/get music to play via the MDI cable. I've tried looking at the golf forums but it seems to be split.

You'll hate yourself a lot less if you use Bluetooth audio for audio playback and get a USB car charger to plug the iPhone cable into. The MDI interface is poo poo poo poo poo poo and slow slow slow.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

tropical posted:

Do you find the bluetooth audio quality is pretty good? Also, when using bluetooth, the only way to control what's playing is through the phone, right?

BT audio quality sounds perfectly fine, and you have to control everything through the phone, yes (but given how slow the MDI interface has been for me, using the phone to control it feels quite preferable).

chutwig
May 28, 2001

gnrk posted:

I guess I have a real question. Wikipedia says there are two versions, a 150 and a 170 horsepower version. When I go look at it, how can I tell which engine it has?

Since you say it's a 2009, it will have the 170-hp version of the 2.5L I5.

Wikipedia posted:

United States and Canada-spec Rabbits use the same 2.5L five-cylinder gasoline engine that powers the Jetta and New Beetle in these markets, making 150 hp (110 kW) and 170 lb·ft (230 N·m) in 2006-2007 models, and 170 hp (130 kW) and 177 lb·ft (240 N·m) from 2008 onward.

As far as whether to buy it, all the usual caveats apply; get maintenance records, drive the car, have a mechanic or mechanically-inclined friend inspect the car for hidden issues. The 2.5L engine is reliable but uninspiring and may return worse fuel economy than you might expect from a compact hatchback.

chutwig fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 4, 2013

chutwig
May 28, 2001

blk posted:

Bonus points if you can convince me that a MkVI GTI would be a great car for my wife who likes them but hates having to fix things.

For what it's worth, my ~anecdotal~~ experience with VW is this: I bought my Mk6 GTI at Thanksgiving 2009. 4 years later and the biggest problem it's had is that once when I started it, the fuel gauge sender had a bit of a snit and the gauge stayed on E until I restarted the engine again. It's got about 43,000 miles on it, doesn't make weird sounds, hasn't had any unexpected maintenance, doesn't burn oil, and has been much more reliable than the Honda Accord I owned before it (go figure).

chutwig
May 28, 2001

When is the Mk7 Sportwagen supposed to show up stateside? My wife and I want to cross-shop the TDI versus cars like the C-Max, because we're hoping to extend our family size soon and it's about time to replace her Fit. I've been really happy with my GTI, so I'm leaning towards VW by default.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

shyduck posted:

So this spring I'd like to get an APR stage 1 tune installed in my Mk6 GTI. Is there anything other than warranty info I should be aware of or is it pretty safe? I'm not looking to race or do anything crazy.

Since getting it done in my 2010 Mk6 I can now make the tires break loose in 3rd. :getin:

The dealership didn't even notice the change, and in fact some of the dealerships around here (northern NJ) will install the APR tune for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

san_dingo posted:

My 2012 GTI (base model, manual transmission) is making a knocking sound from the right rear (I think). The dealer has had it in several times and removed/inspected the right rear suspension and can't reproduce it or find the cause. It seems to happen only when cold, and the car has to be moving for it to start. Once it starts, it will do it intermittently for several minutes (until it warms up), but is especially prominent upon stopping (could just be a reduction in road noise, I realize). The noise is not speed dependent and I feel no vibrations in the steering wheel or otherwise. My warranty is going to be up in a few months, so I'd really like to get this fixed. Any ideas? Something in the fuel delivery system, perhaps?

It's probably the fuel cap pressure testing. My GTI does it as well and I'm pretty sure that it's part of the car's emissions controls.