Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I read on one of the forums that is the kind of thing people had issues with on some models. Wind noise in the door and that area you mentioned. They said they brought it up at the 90 day check up and had it fixed.

I have my check up scheduled for July (The Friday before waterfest as it turns out). I wonder if there is anything else I should be aware of to bring up before I go in. My last car was a noisy thing and this one is way quiet comparatively so I wonder if I just don't notice things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

My colleague told me that the MKVIs in NA have more flashing protection, and require modifying the ECU before they can be flashed through the ODB port. Is that true?

Yeah the US ones are encrypted and the only way to decrypt it is to get to the ECU.
They have to remove a couple security bolts and then the ECU box is glued shut or something as well. From what I read most APR installers will cut the security bolts and then just put new ones on.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

So i guess flashing while in warranty isn't going to be an option anymore eh. Speaking of which, any Denver goons know a good shop for Flashing my mk4?

They have to prove the flash has something to do with a problem if something goes. APR and I think revo have multi-program flashes so you can set it back to the stock settings when you take it into the dealer for service. They wouldn't know it was done unless they really went looking for it.

The local APR shop where I am happens to be a dealer as well, so if something did die on the engine I could go take it to them for repair. If you do some research on the GTI forums about local service shops you can probably find out which ones are mod friendly. If it is just a Stage ! rechip with no other mods they probably wouldn't know the difference in most cases.

I think I am going to wait, especially since I missed the sale price APR were having earlier this spring.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I used my rear washer yesterday and today I noticed it had the dribbles that I have read some people had. This isn't the end of the world kind of problem, so considering I have had zero other noticeable issues with this car I think I got pretty lucky.

I was wondering how long this takes to fix if I get it done next month on my 3 month service check appointment.

TSB # 2023248

Rear Washer Nozzle Drips after use

The water from the rear washer nozzle continues to run out after washer is shut off.

Technical Backround

Rear washer hose retains washer solvent after use. Without a check valve the excess water will continue to drain off out of the washer nozzle.

Service

Fit a non-return valve in the hose of the rear window washing system.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
APR has another sale going on:
http://www.goapr.com/news/2010/06/21/apr-summer-sale/

Very tempting. $600 for the four program flash on the '10 GTI.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I had a rattling vibration noise last night and I thought it was coming from the passenger side but it turned out I left the sunglasses storage thing open.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Veins McGee posted:

As in red flags, known issues etc.

I'm buying used, looking at mainly manual 06 GTIs .

I would read up on http://golfmkv.com/ cause it is tailored to the previous generation and vwvortex has a ton of info but it can be hard to dig through.

You might find some certified pre-owned type thing if you are willing to pay a little more for the peace of mind.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Here is a thread with common problems and fixes for the 2.0T that I found linked from one of the other forums the other day: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24952

Lot of stuff in there with pictures so it might be useful to someone.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

my1999gsr posted:

I don't like to use bad language, but getting the ECU out of any of the 5th gen VW vehicles is a straight-up cocksucker of a job. VW uses 2 security bolts the secure a tamper-proof cover over the plug and they're thread-locked with red Loctite. If there's a way around that I'd be really interested too!

They basically saw off the security bolts and put new ones on.

I got my APR flash done today at waterfest and it was done in under an hour. They had 8 lanes set up, hooked each car up to the computer and got you in their system, and then the MK6 models had to go into the lanes with a big tent around it where they did the work.

The torque increase is pretty insane, not to mention the horsepower. No tax, 4 programs and no labor fee you would get at most shops. I maybe should have taken advantage of the intake discount cause they were doing that there as well. Maybe next year.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

BonzoESC posted:

I've had friends that, upon getting MS3s and WRXs, wouldn't shut the car down without letting it idle at rest for a while, presumably to let the turbocharger get down to a safer temperature. However, my friend with a 2009 GTI doesn't do this. Is this because the cooling setup is better on it, or because my other friends are wasting time and gas for cars that don't need it either?

When you shut the car off and get out a fan starts whirring so I think it already has methods to cool itself.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

I have a 2007 Audi A3 with the 2.0t and the DSG. It's killed its second set of front tires at barely 23000 miles. They're the OEM Pirelli P6 all-seasons, the failure mode was the same with both sets, normal tread wear on the inside and outside of the tires but the middle is gone down to the belts in big spots, with the left worse than the right. It's like if the tires were badly overinflated, but the pressures are fine. I'm still on the original rears and their wear is normal and minimal, far as I can tell.

Looking around the 'net, there seems to be a lot of hate about these tires on this car, but that failure's pretty odd. Is there any way the car itself (i.e. suspension adjustment) could be off and doing this or are the Pirellis really just that bad? And what other 225 45 R17 94H all-season tires would you guys recommend? I drive aggressively but not that roughly, and I need something that can survive a Connecticut winter.

Did you get the tires replaced on warranty and have they been rotated regularly (like during service intervals)? I plan on putting a winter set on which will at least extend the life of the all seasons.

Heres one of those images with the types of wear...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
When I went in for my courtesy check for my VW they gave me a checklist of what they went over and exact measurements of the treads even. Do they do that with your service?

I have the same tires I think, but hardly any miles yet. They did mention the warranty is with Pirelli, not VW.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Some people on the MKVI had their oil analyzed by blackstone:
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4918

I might do something similar. One guy did it at 6.7k and no problems.

Wonder what results someone with a MKV would get. Of course it won't be new by now, but the test might be good to have.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

I'm going to send a sample to Blackstone this week, don't know how useful it will be since it's the second oil change and only from 4K to 7K but I'll post the results here. JHVH how's your flash so far?

I haven't had any problems with the flash. Performance is great. The extra horsepower is nice, and the torque pulls like crazy. You can be rolling down the highway doing 45 and pass a car doing 100 a few seconds later.
I might do the upgraded intake at some point, but the flash alone was worth the money. Since you don't need any physical mods is the best place to start with and APR stands by their product pretty well. They enter you in their database when it is flash so they know right away. So if anything happens and you need a reflash if something happens to the ECU or when upgrade to stage 2 (which is free if you buy stage 1) they have you on record.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bob Log posted:

I completely agree, with everything you said which is why I'm looking for the base model. I never really understood why people want a sunroof, when would you want to look up at the sky but not get out of the car? The only use I could think of is for watching for Radar choppers/planes. I was more curious about the little quirks I should look out for. I've come across a couple of posts about squeaky trim and know now to look for them. O wondered if anyone here might know of some other things I haven't come across.

I'd take a 2011 if it was a good deal but I have a feeling the 2010 will net me the best deal.

I would go for the 2010 but try and negotiate the price down. Some dealers online can give you quotes so all you need is a quote from somewhere else on a similar car to ask them to beat it.

The 2011 models are going to change so you have to select a trim level to get what you want instead of doing it feature by feature. The stock stereo is no longer touch screen. I believe the 18" come stock, and the seats are slightly changed. The bluetooth module may be better, but some people on forums have upgraded the one in the 2011 to provide the voice dialing and phonebook access via the screen behind the wheel (and the stereo if you have the nav model).

I would say just drive what they have and see if you like it. You are buying a new car with a warranty so if anything goes wrong you are covered. I don't have the Xenon/HID package myself and almost wish the ones on the lot did, as well as the nav but it saved me some money. I was in need of a car and they had one with DSG and 18" wheels. I got it for around what they are quoting you I believe, after fees, the tax added, and the financing at 1.9% (though I paid 8k up front to get the payments down).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

If I want to upgrade my BT module to 9w7, what's the best place to buy from?

Also I realized that I'm gay as hell and would get DRL LED lights like those on Audis, but I don't think there's anything available.

I would try and contact this guy to see when hes getting more:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4931152-FS-New-9W7-Deluxe-Bluetooth-Module-intro-price-of-350-on-pre-order-basis

From the threads I have read you will need to change something in VAG-COM to get the steering wheel controls to work with it, and nobody has gotten the overhead connection light working. You can however get the status from the MFI screen on the dash as well as make calls using address book and do voice commands even if you don't have the nav model stereo. If you do have the nav/dvd model you can dial out using the touch screen and it displays some other stuff.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Has anyone used a VAG-COM cable using a usb serial adapter? I am not expecting much, so it might just be good enough to check diagnostics or whatever and not actually code anything.
My friend had one from back in the day when he had an audi and the site says it works with recent models, but I don't own anything with a serial port, but have a USB serial adapter that I could use with a cheap netbook if I picked one up.

If it doesn't work I might as well just buy the newer cable from ross-tech because its probably less hassle than finding some crappy laptop with serial just to use for one purpose.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I get a bit of wind noise on the highway when I am doing 60+
Is that something that TSB corrects or am I just driving too fast?

NJ Parkway you have no choice sometimes, traffic will be doing 70 even if the speed limit is 55.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Neon Machete posted:

Kind of a broad question, but I'm still diagnosing some transmission issues and I don't have a Bentley Manual. How exactly does the Tiptronic auto transmission system work? I'm used to older autos with vacuum line systems where lots of issues could be traced back to vacuum leaks, but I'm not finding much info regarding the setup on Audis. If I'm trying to diagnose an issue, would I be more likely to look for corrosion/wiring problems as opposed to vacuum leaks?

I don't know anything about this stuff, but maybe this has the kind of info you are looking for:
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_228_d1.pdf

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Heres the index to the english PDFs:
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index_eng.php/

300 - 6-Speed Automatic Transmission 09D
That ones not CVT and mentions tiptronic, but it might not be the same exact transmission.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
That little knob the string that makes the shelf in the hatch go up when you open the trunk broke off somehow on my gti. I haven't found the piece anywhere yet to try crazy glue it back on.

It looks like its part of that whole plastic piece on the back too. Does that all have to be replaced just to fix it?
I hadn't even been storing anything in the cargo net on the shelf or anything, so I don't know how to broke already.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

my1999gsr posted:

Post me a pic of your hatch cover and the tether string and I'll tell you want you need to fix it. There's been a couple of different designs so pics will help.

It looks like its attached to a big U shaped plastic that runs across the side and over the top.

This is the working side:

And the broken one:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

my1999gsr posted:

You can order the broken part on it's own - it's just a pin that snaps into the window trim surround. I'll see if I can get you a part number tomorrow.

Excellent. I live only a couple miles from my service center so I might bug them to see if they will fix it under warranty. How involved is getting that piece of trim off to replace it?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

The steering control module was shorting with ground somehow and causing a short in the starter as well (that's what I was told/is in the paperwork), so the module was replaced and the car is back. The rear hatch plastic panel didn't get fixed at all though (but was marked as fixed) and I found a screwdriver just rolling around on the floor near the pedals :thumbsup:

Do you always go to this same service center? It sounds like some people are just getting stuck with bad ones.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
my1999gsr did you get a chance to look up that part number for that hatch knob whatever thing its called. Just asking cause I am curious to look it up on http://www.ecstuning.com/ to see how much it costs.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Meh, I have a bulge in one of my Pirelli P Zeros.
I guess I am gonna end up paying for it out of pocket. I don't think the warranty covers it and I don't think I have any extra coverage.

I don't know of the dealer would be the way to go, but I guess I'll give them a try first to see about getting it replaced.

I haven't even put 4k on the car yet.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

Does it make a noise when you're driving? Can you post a picture?

I can hear something making a tap-tap-tap noise on the left side, sounds like it's from the rear.. it's not loud enough most of the time, but when I'm driving along a divider or wall I can hear it very clearly. It's like a mechanical pencil click, and gets faster or slower depending on car's speed. I was thinking it's the rear tire, any other ideas?

My hearing isn't so great, so I didn't notice much of anything. My TPMS went off and I added more air to the tire as it was around 32PSI and supposed to be 38. So I guess I ran over something at some point and adding more air made it bulge out cause I didn't notice it yesterday.

It is dark out and I just have my cell phone with me so it might be hard to see:

EDIT: I also ordered a better pressure gauge as I probably haven't kept up with keeping the tires at suggested pressure, and all the crazy weather changes the past month haven't helped...

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 4, 2010

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

Yeah, what the hell is that? It's one of those things that you never even consider until you hear it once and then it keeps bothering you. Is yours on the left side?

Thanks for the pic JHVH, my tires don't have anything like that.. can yours be fixed or is it new tire time?

I'm pretty sure a bulge like that is indicative of the inner sidewall being broken, so I probably have to pony up for a new tire. Otherwise it could blow at any time if I hit another pothole or something.

I put my APR program back into stock mode and drove home like a granny under the speed limit just to play it safe.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Hooray for low profile tires. $240 later I have a new tire. They are also ordering the hatch trip piece to fix my shelf, but thats under warranty.

I don't know how much VW offers road hazard for when you buy the car, but it probably would have been a good idea in the northeast US or anywhere else that roads are sketchy. Definitely getting the road hazard on my winter set of wheels.

EDIT: Tire Rack sells the same tire for $140 they sell for $200. If the timing had been better I might have risked it.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 4, 2010

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
When I took my GTI in to the shop the other day they also performed this update. I am wondering if it is the throttle body update I heard about or something else:
code:
97942599 Check Coding; Update Coding
526 WV03 0.50
FC: 97T299 HLO

3486 Perform YW Update Complete
My APR tune is still in tact, so it didn't overwrite the ECU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

mrbucket posted:

So I just took delivery on a 2010 Jetta TDI Cup edition today. I like it.

Unfortunately, the ipod adapter seems to fall out of my iphone though... Something with the latches. Is this something anyone has seen before? Does a new MDI cable fix it, or is it my iPhone?

I don't have the problem with mine, and I would think the cable is the same. I have a 3rd gen nano.

Was it hard to get that car? It is pretty sweet looking. What color is it... heck post some pics!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Shadowhand00 posted:

Looking into purchasing either an e36 M3 or a 2010 GTI. I was wondering whether there was a substantial difference between the 2011 and 2010 models?

2011 they moved over to packages for options, so you have to choose a package even if you don't want all the features.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4855882-2011-GTI-Changes-Official

2010 the 18" wheels were an option, 2011 standard
2010 the base stereo was touch screen, 2011 you have to upgrade to nav package
2011 comes with improved bluetooth module
2011 doesn't have the noise pipe that the 2010 does. This lets you hear some engine growl in the cockpit. Some people were worried that it took away from boost levels or whatever but I don't know if it makes much difference in reality.

Other than a few changes like that, it is pretty much the same car. So if there is one on the lot with the options you want it might give you buying leverage.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Got my 16" set from tirerack put on Friday. Wheels were only $150 a piece, not bad. More styling than steel wheels. (Maybe I should have seen about putting VW center caps instead of the ones that came with it but oh well). Made in Germany instead of China like most of the other wheels.

Should probably get my car and wheels cleaned up too...

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

Quick and urgent question. I had a front wheel and tire replaced due to an accident, and the tire shop put the new tire on the front. The other front tire has about 10K of wear on it (I think it's at 7/32 or 8/32).

Is this the right way to do it? I was told that when only one tire needs to be replaced, new tire always goes in the rear, and is matched with tire that has the most treadwear.

The car is driving fine for the most part, but there's some slight vibration/shudder (that wasn't there before) when I'm making a right turn or when I'm following a road that curves to the right. There aren't any issues that I noticed with left turns.

I would check the depth of the worn one against the new one using a ruler or coin or something. Usually you want the front or rear pair to have the same tread depth. So wherever it goes if you leave it there or rotated.

have you done your 10k service yet? When I haven't been in for a while the dealer checks my tread depth. Last time I had a tire replaced cause of the sidewall there was hardly any wear so they only needed to replace one but I am at a lot less mileage.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

teh jhey posted:

I thought the 18s were called Hufeisens.

Same wheel, but I think huffs refers to the MKV version that had a grey inlay instead of black like the MKVI Detroits.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If they won't do it under warranty I would contact VW directly:
http://www.vw.com/en/contact_us/nav/contact_us.html

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
How about putting your VIN in here:
http://owners.vw.com/vww/touareg/vw_service/recalls.html

I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how much info it gives back.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

Traction control kicked in for some weird reason when I was taking a corner today :psyduck: Wasn't even going fast, it's just an exit that I took at maybe 15-20 mph. I guess it rained a bit yesterday so maybe the asphalt was still wet?

I have had it kick in on areas with gravel or uneven surfaces. There is a light at an angle by work that it kicks in if I am giving it enough speed when the light turns green. Also have had it happen on wet leaves. Seems like it does a pretty good job at preventing you from skidding.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

primitive posted:

Is the Audi A3 35,000 mile service the same as the GTI 40,000 mile service? They look substantially similar but I just wanted to make sure.

The reason being that, including the DSG oil change the Audi dealership near me came in at $425, and no VW dealership was willing to do everything fo less than $650.

Checking my VW dealer's price sheet, they charge $350 extra on top of regular 40k service for the DSG transmission fluid. The 2.0T service is $480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

Thanks, I think they might be coming up CCZA here in California because of emissions stuff.

Have you had any experience with 10/11 A3s? What are their weaknesses if any? Do they suffer from carbon buildup or any other major issues that you know of?

I think CBFA should be the SULEV vehicle, super low emissions for Cali and some other areas. It has an extra hose coming out of the airbox.

Why do I know this? Because I sit and read gti forums like a doofis researching my next upgrade.