Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Sometimes when my 2009 Rabbit has been sitting for a few hours (I usually notice it when leaving for work in the morning, and going home at the end of the day) the engine will rev itself a bit when I first start the car. It's not really strong, but it's definitely above a normal idle. If I put it in gear and let go of the brake, the car will lurch forward. Letting the engine run for about 5 seconds brings it back down to a normal idle, and the car will act normally for the rest of the trip. Anything to worry about?

Also, does anyone use 0W-30 motor oil? It costs the same as the 5W-30 Mobil 1, and I figure if there's no other difference I might as well get the extra couple MPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

My 09 Rabbit (automatic) is coming up on 70k, and like an rear end in a top hat I haven't done much besides oil changes after my complimentary dealership maintenance ran out after 30k. Anything super important I should be doing to keep it happy?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Well, if you have had nothing but oil done, it probably needs a rad flush, brake fluid flush, new plugs, new filters, all that fun stuff that should have been done at 40k.

One thing I have made sure to keep up with on this car is to do the brake fluid flush every 2 years, cause I really don't want to have any issues with the ABS.

Whoops, forgot to mention that I did the filters and plugs at 40k. I'll get the fluids done though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

My 09 Rabbit has a hose hanging down from the rear passenger wheel well.

It looks like it goes up to the gas tank. Anyone knows what it is, and where I should reconnect it to?

Toebone fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 8, 2011

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The cruise control on my 09 Rabbit has stopped working, anyone know which fuse I should be checking?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The rear brakes on my 09 Rabbit (115k miles) have started grinding, so I'm figuring its time to replace the pads. I'm handy with a wrench but I've never worked on brakes before, just engine stuff. Is this something I can tackle myself just by watching a couple video guides online, or am I better off having a shop do it?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I was taking my 09 AT Rabbit to the garage to get the transmission fluid changed, and the check engine light happened to come on on the way there. I needed the car back that night to go to work the next day so the mechanic didn't have time to look into it, but I had him pull the codes and figured I'd might as well post them here and see if anyone could clue me in to what I'm looking at. The car seems to be driving ok.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I changed out a dead headlight bulb the other day, and found that at some point the screw-on access cover must have gotten loose and fallen off - I looked around with a flashlight, but it seems to be long gone. Anyone know where I can pick up a cheap replacement?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've been having some issues with my 2009 Rabbit lately (check engine light, shuddering while accelerating, especially while wet out) that seem to indicate that one or more of the ignition coils has gone bad. Not surprising as they're the originals, with 140k miles on the car. I was looking around online and it seems VW did a recall program for bad coils back around 2010 (I've moved since then, any letter they sent probably got lost in the mail). Unfortunately the recall website, https://www.vwcoils.com is no longer online.

Anyone want to venture a guess if my dealership would still honor the recall and replace them for free? I would just call and ask, but they're closed Sunday and I'd rather get this taken care of ASAP, before I have to go to work tomorrow. I would just replace them myself and try to get reimbursed, but I don't even know where I could buy the coils, other than the dealer or ordering off a website.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yeah, I pulled the coils out and checked the code stamped on top, I'm out of luck. I ended up finding an Autozone that had them in stock, so I picked up a set and will swap them out tomorrow morning.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

I believe the R8 coils are cheaper and better replacements.

I'm gonna look into those - Autozone sold me someone's old OEM coil as new, and there's a VW dealership nearby that sells the R8s with NGK plugs for cheaper than Autozone's Duralasts and Autolites. I think a return is in order.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The front brake pads on my 09 AT Rabbit are getting thin, so I'm going to replace them and do a brake fluid flush while I'm at it. I've watched a couple DIY videos on the subject and feel I can handle it, is there anything non-obvious I should keep in mind? I'm planning on getting OEM pads from germanautoparts.com and whichever VW-approved fluid Autozone has in stock.

Edit: Should I replace the rotors too? They look like they're in OK shape.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 25, 2014

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The CEL on my 2009 Rabbit (160k) came on and I pulled codes for the knock sensor and MAP sensor. I looked around and replacing them seems a little out of my comfort zone. What would be a fair ballpark price for a shop to charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Just got my 09 Rabbit back from the dealer (CEL came on, MAP sensor needed to be replaced) and found out I have a leaky brake vacuum pump. He said they need to remove the transmission to replace it, so the whole job runs about $1000. Does that sound about right, or should I call around my local independent shops and see if I can get a better price?