Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Opensourcepirate posted:

I've got a rental Golf (Rabbit?) today. Not sure about the year or much else.

Every time I exceed 20 MPH it chimes and pops up a warning on the MFI saying Warning 20 MPH Speed Limit exceeded, or something like that.

If it was my car I'd read the manual, but it's a rental that I'm returning tonight. Can anyone tell me how to disable that quickly? I don't even know where the controls are for that display.

at a stop you want to switch the MFI to settings and locate the menu where you can change the speed warning. I usually have it set to 75 in my TDI but someone must have set it lower on that car as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I was worried about my wife doing the same thing, so I put a half box of nitrile gloves in the back and I always stuff one of the gloves around the fuel cap so that she remembers to use it to keep the stinky diesel fuel off her hands.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I like how they switched audis at the end of the ad. first one shown had foglights, one at the end does not.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well they sell the A3 with the 2.0TDI but it's FWD only, so its a better looking, more expensive sportwagen.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

two_beer_bishes posted:

My wife is looking at a Golf to replace her civic. A while ago we were looking at possibly replacing my E30 with a WRX and found a dealer through nasioc that gave awesome prices simply because of their sales volume. I haven't had time today yet to look through vwvortex for anything similar, but does anyone here know of anything? Location doesn't matter aside from being in the US.

edit: Looks like VW of Langhorne, PA has decent deals through TDIclub

Just try using the Costco auto program -- I was able to get over 2k off MSRP on my TDI with no effort.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I still hope they bring it over here--there's no reason not to. I saw one at SEMA and it was the first time I've seen one in person and it was really nice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

actionjackson posted:

I'm probably going to be getting a 2011 A4 Avant. It has an iPod connection for it's music system - is there anyway to get this to work with an Android phone, or is there some solution using the sim card slot? Theres no auxiliary jack.

Bluetooth should work great. I use pandora and google music through BT audio on my TDI.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
No, unfortunately it doesn't offer any control of playlists through the head unit when you're paired with BT and android, but I think it works with our newish ipod nano.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do you like the clarity/quality of the hands-free bluetooth? the quality is abysmal in my JSW.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve French posted:

To be clear, the microphone problem is not a problem with the Bluetooth connection, it is something wrong with the mic itself. I've found evidence of many others with the same problem with all sorts of supposed fixes, like taking it out and putting it in backwards. It is possible that they solved the issue sometime between the 2012 and 2014 models.

I'm with you there--the microphone straight up sucks, even on my '13 model JSW.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

trouser chili posted:

I'm approaching 5000 miles on the factory fill of oil on my 2014 JSW TDI. Sticker says 1st change at 10,000, but boy I'd feel better getting the original oil out of there. Any thoughts? I'd do the next one at ODO:10,000 and then go into the 10,000 mile change schedule.

Keep going! It's synthetic so there's no real reason to change at 5k.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What model/year of car? I thought some VWs had heated locks if you pull up on the door handles for a few seconds, but maybe I'm thinking of BMWs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I tried looking on a few vw part sites and NONE of them will give part numbers. cunts.

but when i looked for '12 models they only showed one brake rotor available.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

alternate.eago posted:

I guess I didn't learn after my experience with the Tiguan..... I traded it in on Saturday on a 13 Jetta Sport Wagon TDI, with the DSG. Pictures will be posted when I take them. I will say that commuting in the Fine Corinthian Leather-ette appointed interior while getting 40+ mpg is pretty awesome.

fixed

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've owned many, many red cars and it's never gotten me pulled over. White will probably look amazing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The only real problems i've had with my 13 tdi JSW is that the sunroof is a pile of poo poo. It needs to go in for a second visit to the dealer due to horrible noises that it makes while opening and closing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Motronic posted:

That whole thing sounds like an ad for a tuner.

Only the second or third sentence can be true, but not both. Unless you think that VAG had a reason to make a vehicle look worse for what is essentially free to them.

What? It may not get the same fuel economy because it will be so much easier to go faster, but don't kid yourself that these companies end up leaving a lot on the table due to emissions and fuel economy requirements.

APR claims 217 HP/264 TQ ----> 265 HP/327 TQ (peak values only) for just a reflash with 93 octane, which is pretty awesome.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You should be fine--the dealer must prove the parts/mods have caused the problem to deny a warranty claim.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Which DSG-equipped cars are known for having issues? Did I hear something about a wet-clutch type that is prone to failure?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah, I have problems with the pano roof on my '13.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Call around and ask what the price for each job would be? Be sure to ask the price of the parts and the labor, individually.

For reference you can probably look up the part numbers to see what the cost would be for you to buy it--even if you don't do the work it will give you an idea how much the parts are being marked up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How is plus or minus a few thousand = priced the same?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

aw yiss posted:

Guys I'm probably going to buy a new 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Do I go with the pano sunroof for 26500 or the base for 24900? 1600 for a sunroof and 17" wheels seems like way too much no matter how cool it is. Did they even fix all their sunroof problems?

I know the 2015 is switching to a golf type or whatever the hell. Should I really be waiting for that? I think these are pretty decent prices for a 2014 and nothing I see in the 2015 really pops out at me as necessary.

I have a '13 with the sunroof, and as neat as it is, I would not buy one again with the pano sunroof if I could do it over again.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Something I found out recently here that in Colorado, you don't have to do emissions on a car for the first 5 years. I'm thinking I'm going to go hog wild on the .:R as soon as I get it. Who will have the best flash now that APR is swirling the drain :( Always liked APR since they try to get the most out of a tune without going full retard that might poo poo out your internals.

Also, WHEN'S MY R GETTING HERE VW!

Most of these tunes have the ability to turn off any emissions related CELs ya know. Even if APR folds, it seems likely that there will still be enough options on the market.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

So how about the MK7 Golf TDI going back to twist beam axle in the rear for the US market because the new MQB platform apparently puts the urea tank where the rear suspension goes? Seems like a pretty VW thing to do.

I'm surprised they went back to urea, maybe the DPF failures were too common? or the parts are too expensive?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Virigoth posted:

Soooo the bone chilling cold has screwed something up in my 2012 VW Jetta. It started just fine and I got about a half mile from my house when the car went into "limp" mode and lost all of its power in the pedal. It seems to idle just fine but was running rough/diesel stank in the air. I pulled off and restarted it to see if it was just freaking out because it was -3 out but then the check engine light added itself to the mix. From looking at the behavior and weather circumstances it looks like I might have ice in my intercooler. Has anyone dealt with this? Luckily I am under 3 yrs/36k so it should be warranty work. It looks like they have a replacement intercooler they put on the car with a vent on the side but nobody knows if it helps. Apparently the 2013+ models changed designs and are all supposedly fixed.

Pretty sure it's a problem for the 13 and 14 MY cars too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Looks like you can't do the fuel filter change w/o a vag-com tool

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
won't quote regular service interval work over the phone? sounds like a lovely shop

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup, air purge

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I got a notice for that update but haven't done it yet.

Also, isnt the fuel filter a every 20k item?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think we have the same car and mine does the opposite, the volume goes up with speed and down again when you slow down but I'm not sure I've seen how to change the settings.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh, no I do have navigation and sunroof on my car (shouldn't have gotten them though).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

They can fix it, because other manufacturers of bigger engines are capable of meeting the emissions standards. VW may offer a buyback, but I don't think it will still approach the scale of what you insinuated with GT-Rs and illegal imports

And yes, it likely can be resolved with a simple ECU flash that disables the mapping modification and EGR/DEF changes. That's not the issue at hand, the issue is that the cheat was ever an option to begin with, that's all.

Which bigger engines? the ones that go in trucks and are probably not subject to the same standards as a TDI car?

If they could fix it with a reflash, I think the update they tried over the summer would have worked. We're looking at another tune, a retrofit kit for urea, decrease in mpg and engine performance, all of which are probably pretty expensive to install on the cars at this point.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
loving idiots.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

8ender posted:

Also don't forget that environmentally focused groups and customers are already mad at VW for this. Imagine how they'd feel if they crushed half a million cars into scrap.

I mean sure a lot of the metal can be recycled but gently caress, even I'm getting heated thinking of the massive waste that represents.

Couldn't they dump them into a third world country? Many countries do not have any emissions standards.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yes they do test the tailpipe emissions

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I regularly get 45 city in Atlanta traffic :shrug:

This would be relevant if we were talking about your era of vw tdi.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Penny wise pound foolish accountants :downs:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Recall notice will go out soon, they are going to do a retrofit kit.

Idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Where are you getting this?

Where exactly are they planning on putting the piss tank in my Golf?

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/09/volkswagen-says-it-has-a-plan-to-fix-vehicles-embroiled-in-emissions-scandal/