Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had a fun issue pop up this week that I'm interested in your input my1999gsr.

Have an 06 A4, FWD with CVT. Has about 77k on it as a daily driver split between my wife and I. Last week before we went out of town the CEL came on. Had it taken to the shop on Tuesday to get it looked at. Before we took it in I definitely noticed that the car was a] idling weird b] rpm's were dropping at stop lights.

When I dropped it off I told my service rep about the issues and they said they'd look at it. That was yesterday morning, and then come 4 or so I got a call saying it was fixed. I pick the car up and sure enough it's idling better, however at the 2nd stop light I hit on my way to the office from the dealer I noticed the rpm's dropping again. Got to another stop light that I could turn into my office park, or do a U-Turn and get back to the dealer and notice it dropped RPM's again.

So I took it back to the dealer and told him what was going on and that it was still happening. They had it over-night and then I just picked it back up. He said the tech saw that the low pressure sensor was giving bad readings, supposedly it was giving -160 values, so they replaced it. However even after replacing it the car would drop RPM's at lights still about 50% of the time and that the tech recommended I take the car over the weekend and that the new low pressure sensor should correct itself and the issue would go away.

Is what the tech said true or is he full of crap?

The actual wording on my repair sheet is:
code:
Concern  51   Customer states when coming to a stop, the vehicle drops RPM abruptly then returns to idle
Cause         Low pressure sensor
Correction    Replaced low pressure sensor after diagnosis and test drive. Car would almost stall when coming to a stop. Adapt new sensor and car operate per design.
51-1          GFF
51-2          Test Drive
51-3          Measuring fuel pressure with VAG 1318 mechanical gauge
Tech Notes    Low pressure sensor
Comment       Cust to drive car to allow adaptation to get better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Rubies posted:

There's no resistance at all, but I can see the cable moving up and down when someone presses on it, all the way into that area that contains the clutch itself. A bunch of smoke was coming out of it when it died. I cant get into any gear.
If it wasn't for the smoke I would've said it was the cable linkage because I had that go on an old Passat of mine, thought it was terrible news turned out to just be that the cable had broken/come off and they replaced it for like $100 or something super cheap like that.

The smoke though makes me think someone worse happened

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

my1999gsr posted:

Odds are your CPO will cover your battery -I've replaced piles of them under CPO.
Whaaaa! I had my battery die literally 2 days after I picked up my A4 and they made me buy a new goddamned battery.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

my1999gsr posted:

On a CPO inspection (the inspection we do prior to the vehicle being sold as a CPO'd Audi) I have to test the battery and attach the test result printout to the CPO checklist. If the Audi fails any part of the checklist the dealership can either repair the problem(s) or not sell the car as a Certified Pre-Owned Audi. Once the vehicle is sold as CPO then it has warranty coverage as per the CPO agreement which should cover the battery.

Bottom line, if you bought a CPO Audi and it still has time or mileage remaining on it's coverage then you should get a new battery. I've replaced dozens of batteries because they failed and were covered by CPO.
Well drat, cause they sure as hell charged me for it, though now it's 1 or 2 years later so I don't think there's anything I can do about it but the car was definitely a CPO and we had literally had it for 2 days before it crapped out.

I remember pitching a fit about the battery dying so soon after purchasing it and my service rep only said that she could give me a slight discount on the battery purchase.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

That could be why you got charged for a battery.
Somehow I doubt it because by pitching a fit I don't mean I cursed anyone out or anything like that. I just told her I thought it a bit odd that a car that I had just purchased had a battery go bad mere days after taking ownership of it and that I was hoping the battery could be replaced for free.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Oh god am I stupid for wanting to add to my VAG car collection by looking at older Passat Wagons?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

tehschulman posted:

Another MMI related question, I noticed that the LCD display in the gauge cluster on the car I'm looking at is red. Like the MMI controls, I've seen some of the A4s that have a multicolor LCD on the gauge cluster. I assume the monochromatic LCD and the multicolor LCD all display the same information, but I'm wondering if this is the case, and if it's not the case, if it's possible to swap the multicolored LCD into the gauge cluster.

I assume both these things are trim options for the S4 perhaps. Wouldn't be a necessity to have this nicer interior layout in my used A4, but wondering if it's possible to do at all.
Usually that means that someone bought the base-model A4 without Navigation and then put in the MMI unit afterwards because I know up through the previous model that if you had a red DIS in the gauge cluster it meant you didn't have the navigation option and anything that did had multicolor + multifunction DIS.

I also don't think you can move the MMI controls elsewhere because that would require a completely different MMI unit that wasn't available for A4's.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Took my 06 A4 in to the shop for it's 85k checkup and got back a lovely surprise. My service rep said that the motor mounts are going and the upper guide link bushings needing repair on both the left and right front arms.

Cost to do everything is $2,000, with $1,200 of that being the motor mounts and the rest being for the bushings.

Does that sound like a reasonable price for the repairs?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

movax posted:

I wish I got this mileage at all times, not just highway :( Now that I'm back in town, I'll be lucky to get a total of 350 miles or so from this tank.

2006 A4
Man you only get 350 a tank? You have a manual?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

movax posted:

Nope, 6-speed auto. My daily commute to work is like 3 miles each way, with 4 or 5 lights. I really only get to stretch it on the highway on the weekends/longer trips, and the mileage climbs hilariously fast. I chalked it up to the turbo and acceleration just destroying mpg.
Ahh, I have the 7-speed CVT and my commute is only like 10 miles, but it's mostly on a highway I can regularly average 60 or so on, which explains how I get closer to 400 on most tanks.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Well that was a fun trip home from work after doing a 12hr day. My 06 A4 wouldn't turn over and it was so bad I couldn't unlock the the trunk to get at my jumper cables. Had to crawl through the back seat into the trunk to get at them in order to get home.

Hopefully in the morning it turns over fine and I can go to an Advance Auto store to see if it really needs a new battery.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Full Circle posted:

Does it not have any kind of mechanical release? I know in my 04 TT I can unscrew the cupholders and there's a pull-ring that opens the trunk. There's a similar mechanism for the fuel latch.
Not that was readily apparent, I guess I'll try taking a look in my manual today but I thought by unlocking the car from the physical lock it'd unlock it, but it didn't work.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Full Circle posted:

On an unrelated note, does anybody have experience with getting a duplicate key? When I bought my car (2004 TT) they only had the one switchblade style key. No emergency/valet key.
I'm mainly wondering if I can buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNCUT-A...70c8e82&vxp=mtr
Get it cut by a locksmith, then follow these instructions to reprogram: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc13.shtml

My main goal is to have a fully functional spare key in case I lose the original, in order to avoid having to rekey the whole car or whatever exorbitant process would be required.
I'm not sure about getting it cut by a locksmith because I don't know if all of them have the right tools to cut the key properly.

What I do know is that I've tried that method to reprogram my keys after say, unplugging a battery, and they never seemed to work. But I tried a different method this weekend that was a helluva lot easier.

• Put unprogrammed key in ignition and turn on car
  • Press the lock and unlock buttons on the keyfob at the same time
  • Turn car off and remove key

The key should now be programmed for your car and you can lock/unlock the doors as needed.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

sticksy posted:

So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a CPO '11 A4 (Prestige) with about 18k miles on it. Obviously they're trying to sell us on all the service bells and whistles and with VAG not exactly known for their reliability want to make sure I spend money now that will save me lots later.

I live in Phoenix so I was curious if the "ClearPlate" is worth it, since there is nothing but rocks and crap on all the highways around here that get kicked up to ding the front. I know the clear paint protection ("Appearance Protection Plus") is notoriously a ripoff but we don't have a garage at our house and some rather messy birds around...are either of these worth it? I do think we'll end up pre-emptively paying for the scheduled maintenance.

Any other considerations or things to be aware of?
If you plan on keeping the car until the wheels fall off you may want to pre-pay for maintenance and get the extended maintenance as well because things add up unless you do them yourself.

I'm kind of kicking myself now for not doing it when we bought our CPO '06 A4 now that the original CPO warranty is over and things are starting to break and cost a lot of money.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

Someone convince me a 05 imola yellow S4 for sale is a good choice for my 50 mile roundtrip commute. So gorgeous.
gently caress yes it is! Especially since I think the Imola Yellows are pretty fuckin rare

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

How in Gods name does it take $2k to do this?
Labor.

Believe to do the timing belt you've basically got to disassemble the entire front end of the car to change it, and when Audi tech's cost about $3-400/hr in labor it quickly adds up.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I'm about to have a bunch of time off from work and got a CEL recently, pulling the codes it's for P2181 which from looking at a bunch of the regular Audi forums suggests my thermostat going bad. Right now my engine temp never gets to the mid-point even after driving for hours at a time.

I've found a couple guides, here and a kit to replace everything over at ECS.

My question is that while I'm not a big-time mechanic I have replace brakes/rotors on other cars as well as doing other maintenance. From the guides I'm reading replacing the thermostat doesn't seem that difficult to do, do you guys concur? Or am I silly for trying to do it on my own?

edit: Oh yeah and this is on a B7 A4 FWD w/ CVT.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

resident posted:

Have you ever replaced your coolant temp sensor? My VW GTI was throwing P2181 and replacing the CTS fixed it. It was incredibly easy on my GTI and I have almost no mechanical experience at all.

e: looks like that kit includes a CTS but I read on various forums that you should only use the green sensor from the dealer fwiw
Don't think it's the CTS because if the CTS fails then my temp gauge wouldn't work at all.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Driving home the other night I noticed that one of my headlight bulbs went out. So I look online, find some new bulbs and figure I'll change them myself.

Little did I know that changing the bulbs in the B7 A4 requires hands of a 5 year old and some crazy long torx bolts. I spent an hour trying to get them loose so I could take the bulb out but even after getting it loose so I could potentially fit my hand in there, I still couldn't actually get the bulb out.

Now I have to wait until it's slightly drier outside so I can remove the entire goddamned front bumper to get the housings out. :argh:

I'd really love to know why they had to make them so goddamned complicated to replace, they really want people to go to the dealer that much to get new ones put in?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aflicted posted:

I have the bi-xenon headlights so I can't directly comment. Can you not just pull the headlamp assembly forward? Now I want to go look at mine and see how it mounts.
No, I have halogens and while you can undo some screws to let the assembly slide forward, it's only about an inch, and still makes getting into the housing to replace the bulbs a pain in the rear end.

I also managed to drop one of my torx bits into the front housing and I have no way of getting it out of there. I can hear it, and tried to bang it free but the damned thing is stuck down there unless I remove the entire bumper and then get at it that way.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Well I don't need to worry about the passenger headlight for a bit.

Got into a fender-bender this afternoon after a lady infront of me on an off-ramp didn't actually go like I thought she had. I ended up side-swiping her and doing some damage to my passenger side door, as well as front-quarter panel on that side. Nothing too major and everyone was ok, but goddamned did I feel dumb.

Taking it to my insurance company tomorrow and hopefully they can have it fixed quickly since nothing major seems wrong.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Got the insurance quote after the accident with my 06 A4. Going to be about a week and the quote was for about $1500 and change.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Must not have been a big accident. I was out for almost 6 weeks when my GLI got sideswiped and jammed into a concrete barrier.

Got any pics?
Yeah it wasn't that bad really. I was going about 5mph when I scraped the other car, basically replacing the door panel, front quarter panel and maybe the front bumper.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

KakerMix posted:

I was looking in the owner's manual last night and it says you should be able to (with keyless entry) be able to put your finger on the door lock, hold it and all the windows and sunroof should roll up/close. If you are inside the car, holding the driver's window up should roll up the windows and close the sunroof after a few seconds. I made little notes and when I go back to the dealership in a week I'm going to ask about it. It's in the manual after all, why doesn't it work?

I also found this:

I know for B7 A4's you have to enable that option with a VAGCOM because it's not on by default for the US because apparently doing so disables the finger-catch mechanism that makes sure you don't crush fingers in the windows as they close.

It's an awesome feature to have on your fob though because closing/opening the windows at certain times is really damned handy.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

You want to steer clear of Audi's early CVT offerings. There are like 6+ TSBs on them. I heard talk of a class action lawsuit awhile back.
There is a class action. I get notice of it because I have an 06 with a CVT but I don't think I qualify for bupkis because we already got the CVT replaced under warranty shortly after we bought the car in 09 and it cost us a whopping $0.

Here's the settlement website: https://cvtsettlement.com/

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

DesperateDan posted:

So one of my rear brake lights dies. I pop out the manual to get an idea of what tools I need to grab and see that I'm meant to take it into a registered dealer for advice, because apparently cars are all complicated nowerdays, and bulbs run on electricity that can be dangerous.
I'm not sure how the B6 is but in a B7 if you have a blown headlight it requires basically taking off the entire front bumper to get enough space to remove the old bulb from the housing and put in a new one.

So be glad that it wasn't a headlight that went.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

DesperateDan posted:

It's 4 bolts and an electrical connector on the B6, pops right out the front :)
Yeah nowhere near that easy. If you don't want to remove the entire bumper there's 4 bolts to get it loose to slide it forward, that gives you about an additional .5in clearance on the back and you have to try to finagle the bulb out.

Which if you have normal sized hands is a giant loving pain in the rear end and I was never able to do it. So if I didn't end up needing other work done on the car I was going to have to remove the damned bumper just to replace one stinking bulb.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

Do the coding where you can roll the windows up and down with the remote.
That was the first thing I did with my cheapo one and good lord is it an awesome godsend.

Lately I've been having an issue on my 06 A4 where my remote will sometimes be unable to lock/unlock the car remotely.

It's happening more and more lately but I can't quite figure out any consistent repro steps, it just seems to happen randomly and if I put the key in the ignition hold it in the accesory slot and then turn the car on it will start working for a while.

I thought it was the batteries on the remote but even when it won't unlock/lock remotely I still see the light flash on my key fob.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Have you put a fresh battery in the fob? I had a similar issue with my jetta and a new battery fixed it.
Nah because I didn't think the battery was actually dead. Guess I'll go looking for a new battery today and see if it fixes it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Enable needle sweep, if your car doesn't do it by default.
Don't think you can do that on all models though, think it was only on B8 A4's and newer

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Nothing quite like getting your car back from the bodyshop after they fixed up the damage someone else did to it, everything is all cleaned and feels almost like a new car again.

What doesn't feel like a new car is having your wife get trapped in the passenger seat when the idiots at the bodyshop forgot to actually hook up the controls on the passenger door to the actual door. She had to knock on the window to get me to let her out.

Plus now that they're fixing that they'll actually take a look at the CEL that came on after the accident, though I think they're simply sending the car to the one Audi dealer in the area and having them fix it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Speaking of VAG COM tool, does anyone happen to have one and live near Orlando? After some girl ran into me a couple months ago I had to drop my A4 off for service, they fixed most things, except the CEL that came on.

Eventually I got them to 'fix' it to which they said they simply sent it to an Audi-shop and they did a hard reset of the computer. Which to their credit did get rid of a not-real CEL, however the downside was that they also managed to get rid of my VAG COM editing I had done with an ebay-cable. Like the no seatbelt beep, getting the windows to roll up/down with my remote etc.

I really want to do it again but my old ebay cable has stopped working with my wife's laptop that I used before, so if anyone has one they'd let me use for a day or two and I'd ship it back that'd be great.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Took my 2006 A4 in to get the 105k checkup.

Pro: My loaner car is a 2015 A6 3.0.

Con: My "recommended" repairs totaled more than $6,000.
  • Thermostat - $982
  • Timing belt - $1489
  • Engine mounts - $1068
  • Front bushing - $835
  • Vacuum pump seal - $340
  • Brakes (Front/Rear) - $610/481
  • Spark plugs - $220
  • Fuel filter - $118
  • Wiper - $52

Needless to say they're not all being done because that's insane, going to have them do the timing belt since I don't have the time/knowledge to do that easily and I think the rest I'm going to do myself over the summer months since nothing is absolutely necessary to fix to prevent the car from imploding.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this A6 knowing full well that I'll probably never buy another Audi when we get rid of this A4.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Hahaha. New plugs and coils are $120 and take all of 20 minutes to install on the BPY engine.

...unless the some rtv gasket shavings were dropped into the plug holes, making for the worlds worst game of operation. Thankfully I noticed before I started removing the plugs. :catstare:
Yeah a lot of it is hilarious, the $52 to replace the windshield wipers that I know for a fact are still good and were replaced last year. The Thermostat one is interesting because the part itself costs about $20 or so, and the DIY guides say it takes about an hour or two to replace and yet they're quoting almost $1000 for it all.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I just had the enjoyment of spending the last 3 hours trying to replace my damned thermostat sensor on my A4.

It wasn't so bad to get out once I disassembled the airbox and then squeezed my hand behind the engine to release a locking clip.

What did suck was as soon as I pulled out the sensor, contrary to some reports I read online, I was greeted with an outpouring of my antifreeze. Then just getting the damned sensor out of it's holder was a pain, I hate how there are what appear to be clips that you can push on to release something that's clipped in. However no matter how much I pushed down nothing ever came loose, in fact it didn't get released until I used a small screwdriver to pry the clip up.

Also putting back on the retaining clip was such a pain in the rear end I can kind of understand why Audi charges $1000 for replacing the entire thermostat housing, because I figure they take a little 'easier' way and simply remove the entire damned engine so they can get to it easier.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Wife finally told me that she's starting to hear noises when braking which means this weekend I get to replace the front/rear pads and turn the rotors on my B7 A4.

Anyone have any tips and tricks that I should watch out for? I've changed brakes before and have guides here and here, though I think I'm going to try the 1st option and try to just get the entire caliper off and replace them that way.

I'm also going to try renting a caliper tool from O'Reily to do the rears and using this as my guide.

None of them seem that difficult though since it's my first time doing them on the Audi I'm sure I'll be cursing some Audi-tech who overtightened something.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

movax posted:

Did you go through this yet? The wear sensor is going off for my fronts, and I'm ready to do the job as well. Mechanic visit a few weeks ago they said it was just rotors that needed replacement, not the pads, but the pads are cheap enough that I'll just get some any way.
I tried and couldn't get it to happen. I had a cheaper jack that works for most things, but on the Audi it can't get the car high enough up in the air to put the jack-stands under the car.

Also I needed a breaker bar to even get the damned calipers off because using a regular wrench simply didn't work at all.

I've since borrowed a larger jack from a friend and am picking up a breaker-bar this weekend along with some PB Blaster to try to get the things loose.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

movax posted:

New post:

My front brake pad sensor is on, and the mechanic also recommended replacement of front rotors + pads because they are at 4mm. Are these the right parts to get:

Front rotors, pads, screws

And, do I need this kit: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4-Quattro-2.0T/Braking/Rotors/ES2587647/ ?

And how easy is it to bleed yourself using a power bleeder, vs. just visiting a shop and asking for a fluid change / swap?
You don't need the kit, I'm going to actually finish my install of the front pads + rotors this weekend but you can reuse all of the existing connections because they hopefully shouldn't be too bad. I will recommend you buy a can of PB Blaster to be able to get the caliper screws loosened because that was the hardest part of doing everything.

I also didn't buy the ECS kit because it was a bit more than I wanted to spend since I don't know how much longer we're keeping our A4, so you can find some cheaper alternatives in your local parts shop.

As far as a bleeder if you have a power bleeder than you should be fine. I don't so I just bled them by doing the old pump 'em till your leg falls off to get pressure back in the lines.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Fart Pipe posted:

Just a heads up if you bleed it yourself. Dont let it run dry because if the ABS pump gets air in it the bleeding procedure gets a lot more complicated.
How exactly would you run it dry?

edit: Did googling and see that it's letting the reservoir actually run out of fluid, didn't know you could really have that happen.

real_scud fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Finally managed to get the front pads and rotors replaced this morning and think it's a really damned good thing I finally managed to get them replaced since this is what I was greeted with when I got the old pads fully off.