Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

well, i am the new owner of a 2016 golf R with dcc/nav

what have i done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Pics or it didn't happen.

tomorrow whenif the sun comes out

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fats posted:

I also bought something new, though it's not as exciting as an R ('19 GTI).

I wanted the manual, but all they had within a reasonable distance was white or black ones. The DSG is loads better than what I was used to in my Focus, though.

I was gonna buy a 19 GTI but the 16 R was the same money, and thoroughly impressed me coming from a '10 Mazda 3 2.5L

Also I found out my one interior cosmetic issue, the chrome trim around the shifter is peeling, is usually a warranty repair, so I'mma go have them fix that.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 20, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Step Oh my God: Unplug soundaktor
Step 0: Wheel locks + Dashcam
Step 1: Spare tire + Kit
Step 2: Import Euro Armrest.

Plus a VCDS cable/software package. Which one is best?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 21, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Personally I use VCDS and just rented the cable off eBay. The cables are insanely expensive.

I had a feeling i might be able to get a loaner if i poke around the local guys.

Luckily some other guy shares my neurotic need to have a spare tire in the back:

https://www.wolfeden.org/cars/golf-r/mods/spare-tire-kit.html

Can someone confirm the Ohtsu FP8000s i got with it are *not* run-flat? They don't seem to be but I found a few conflicting bits.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Etrips posted:

OBDeleven does like 95% of what VCDS does and is now iOS compatible (needs a specific dongle than what was previously sold).

So how far down the rabbit hole are you going!?

Ah, I was told that VCDS was the better option vs obd11. Can you talk about how they compare?

I def wanna do all the stuff i mentioned above, wheel locks + dashcam, spare tire kit, ratcheting euro arm rest, and soundaktor delete, beyond that who knows?

Someone told me you can modify the software to open exhaust flaps 100% of the time, but i'm unclear on why you'd do that.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 21, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Baxate posted:

Whats different about the Euro armrest?

It actually opens to reveal a center console box.

You can do this mod on the USA model, but you don't get feature two: it can be moved and ratcheted up and down and left in position.

the armrest is a lot lower than i like it by default, but it's not a high priority mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGMJlU4WA3o

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 21, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

That’s wild. My GTI has that but the R doesn’t?

Yeah, on my R that center console is bolted shut. You pull off the rear vents, unbolt a few screws, and add zipties to make it open/shut, but you don't get the ratcheting action unless you get the euro part (or do much heavier modding) edit: GTI part wouldn't fit.

Federal regulation, apparently:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/05/13/volkswagen-golf-r/27222137/

some knob at VW posted:

"On the GTI and Golf, we have a different center console design because they have a manual hand brake, while the Golf R has an electronic hand brake," Gillies said. "On the GTI and Golf, the armrest has a latch to secure the armrest in place to comply with FMVSS [Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards] regulations. The European Golf R armrest does not have this latch, so the decision was taken to lock it to accord with FMVSS regulations."

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 21, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Are there different 'versions' of the white color? That looks way nicer than most white R pictures i've seen. Congrats!

It's "Oryx White Pearl", which yeah, I didn't like until I got closer to it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

NoWake posted:

I can send out a set of 4 wheel locks + plastic caps, only catch is you've got to buy yourself a new key. Lost my key, & moved to longer lugs for spacers anyway.

PM me, or email at my username at the mail with the G if interested

Any idea how much the new key would cost? I've got a set of locks on order already, but I can cancel if it's a big savings. I'd also need the plastic cap puller, dunno if you have that.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fuckin :lol:

the car already has wheel locks and they didn't give me a key.

guess i'mma go raise hell about that.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

It's probably in the trunk or glovebox, take a look before you give them too much poo poo and look like an rear end in a top hat.

I even pulled up the carpet in the trunk, thx.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

NoWake posted:

That's pretty bogus.. Glad you're finding out now instead of a flat tire turning into a week with a rental. If anything they should replace your locks with regular lugs.

I went to the dealer to get a replacement key - they couldnt sell me one by itself without a set of locking lugs, but they could swap the locks out for regular lug bolts for $35 installed. I said cool, and got my car back 30 mins later.

"Thanks a lot. Where did you put the locking lugs you took off?"

VW: "We threw those away for you"

"Can I have them? They're mine. It's not like they're broken, I just need to find the key I lost."

VW: "I guess... but we'll have to dig them out of the trash for you"

:mad:

Yeah, I'd like to get more locking lugs because that's how I bought the car, but if they hardball me and want to give me regular lugs, i'll live. They're more trouble than they're worth a lot of the time.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 23, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Etrips posted:

For the caps you can use any random L shaped item to pull it off. Like a allen key or something.

The new bolt kit came with the doohickey anyway.

I also kept the old bolts, so much like NoWake, I have a set of bolts and no key for anyone who needs. Looks similar to his 524D, but mine came off with a key labeled "W".

Now let us never speak of the dealership across town again.

gosh this car is fun to drive

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Oof, this is the kind of car you have to like, wash, isn't it?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Etrips posted:

Get it ceramic coated and you’ll have to put in a lot less effort in washing!

tell me more.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

:stare:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

asmallrabbit posted:

The summer tires it comes with are brand new, as it was used over the winter. The warranty in service date was July of 2018, so a year of the warranty is gone. I was thinking if i could get it down to 60k all in with Audi Care included that would be a good deal, but should i go lower considering it has 10,000km on it already and was a demo?

i dont see what harm there is in trying to go lower.

i got them to knock 1500 off my R and dealers normally don't loving budge on the price of Rs

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Turns out my 19" Cadiz rim has a factory casting error, divots on the bead surface. Causes it to slow leak on any tire.

Car is under warranty, CPO or otherwise, but I just knooooow the dealer is gonna try to weasel out of this. Watch this space for when I have to call VWoA and complain, right there in the lobby, because they can get hosed if they think i'm paying for a $800 rim that was cast badly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The dealer is replacing my wheel with surprisingly little complaint.

And I ordered two spare Cadiz off some other internet dude for when I inevitably curb check a set.

Also I got my EUDM ratcheting arm-rest installed. :D

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

So, it's a great car for the day we've had it. Fun to drive, practical, great features. But the water stain and clear leak on a new car is hosed up. This is relatively rarely optioned so it's not like we could easily swap to a different one, and what if it also has a problem?

Our dealer is inspecting and ordering parts on Tuesday. Of course that's outside of the 3 day return period. I'm in Iowa and we have relatively strong lemon laws if it becomes a problem, at least.

the days it takes the dealer to get their poo poo together should not be counted against the return period. this problem didn't appear yesterday.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

Welp I just looked up the laws and I don't think we can in Iowa. It looks like we'd have to run it through the normal lemon law procedure. What a clusterfuck.

I am generating images and documentation to support a lemon law claim if it becomes necessary.

why are you still posting in this thread and not making demands of the dealer and VW of America?

you paid presumably five figures and they need to make it right

you should be threatening to call VW customer service right there in the lobby. my guess is you'll get as far as "1800" before they cave.

also: they may not tell you what to tell your wife, but i will. she's gonna have to loving deal.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 29, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Any recommendations on a 19" tire for the 2016 Mk7 golf R? Clipped something and I figured I might replace the pair, or do all 4 and keep them as spares.

Edit: Florida. Snow is not a factor but wet can be.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

pictured: a cool and good thing that happened to my FP8000s

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I was gonna get the PS4S's i think, but for now the other 3 fp8000s have too much tread to throw away. Got a new ohtsu for $90 shipped to call it a day.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 20, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

okay okay i'll get em once i wear this set down closer to end of life

fuckin $250 a corner jfc

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Counterpoint is taking 90 degree turns flat out like a go cart

I knooooow. :swoon:

i'm gonna buy the PS4S's, but i still have a ton of tread left on these crappy ohtsu fp8000s, and can't really justify $1000+ to replace perfectly good tires.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I know my mk7 R has 4motion, is a bad beast and I'd buy it again tomorrow. Dunno how much that helps.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It helps a little, one of my goals is to crank up the 1.8 to a respectable ~220hp and do some suspension fuckery so I basically get an AWD GTI wagon.

How is the haldex 4motion experience? where are you located (for weather purposes)? I have only driven subaru AWD for real and I want to know how much i can indulge my WRC fantasies in the wagon.

I like the awd, it really grabs the road but you'll have to drive it to see. I'm in Florida so snow is never an issue but sometimes in the wet. I get a good ride on low end tires, and i expect it to get better when I put pilot sport 4s on it

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

attention volkswagen

please do not use the same chime for 'low tire pressure' to notify me of 'low wiper fluid'

thanks in advance

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fknlo posted:

The best is when you're in that range where it's splashing on the sensor so it lights up and dings every couple minutes.

yeah ask me about my errands yesterday

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

Yall are looking at it all wrong. Instead of buying an AWD car, move to a place that's not a frozen wasteland and drive summers year round.

Or do what I did, get a mk7 Golf R in Florida, and do both!

Edit: and it's called the 4Motion system. Say that in your best jeremy clarkson voice.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Also, today's installation:

New shift levers?
That's a paddlin'.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

LMFAO. Bape is most assuredly not Jonathan Gitlin.

Wait. The GolfeR doesn't get the brushed aluminum trim on the wheel like the...base GTI does!?

I'd have to see it. Mine is a 2016 golf R fwiw

Edit: nah, the R gets leather wheel and piano black trim. I prefer it personally.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

On the Audis I’ve had if you pressed and released the traction control button it put it into “sport mode” where the traction control intervention was reduced. If you press and held the button for 3 seconds it would disable it completely and put a big “TRACTION CONTROL IS OFF” warning on the dash.

This is what my r does without modification I think

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

This might have something to do with it? Saw it linked in a thread about disabling ASR/ESC, apparently Vibration Reduction is the missing piece

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21888

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 10, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

they call the floor jack a Widowmaker for a reason duder.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is there a better place to get G13 coolant than the dealership?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ugh, I think my Mk7 R is leaking coolant. Topped up twice with distilled water, still drops to below "Min" after a few city trips.

Good thing it's already going in for its 40k service on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fknlo posted:

I had to top off coolant in both my mk6 and mk7 every now and then. I never saw any indication that anything was leaking either. I imagine the plastic panel under the engine bay catches most of that poo poo though.

Yeah, I know it consumes a little, but I've had to top off twice in 3 days, so I figured I'd have them look at it. It was below Min this morning, i topped it up, and haven't driven it since then. Gonna head out in a minute, see where the level is at, and take it for a spin.