Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Any thoughts on the value of Audi's CPO program? I am shopping for a replacement to my totaled 335i (coupe, which was a CPO) and I've always loved the TT, but like all German imports I fear the repair bill.

Is it true the CPO warranty cannot be transferred to the next owner?

Also, any major issues to avoid with the TT mk2 (Looking at 2008, but unsure on 2.0 vs. 3.2)? The dual clutch transmission has me very excited, but there is a cheap 3.2 quattro in manual nearby that is tempting -- how's that transmission fair to the DSG?

I will finally get to go test drive some this weekend so I am anxious to see how it'll feel compared to my BMW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

my1999gsr posted:

Due to the cost of parts and the complexity of the vehicles I would never purchase an Audi product without CPO. As to whether CPO coverage can be transferred to the next owner, I'm not sure - it's a little outside my expertise but I can find out for you on Monday and post what I find out.

Off-hand I can't think of any specific problems with the TT. I'd stay away from the 2.0T engine if you can - the 3.2 has a little more grunt and doesn't suffer any of the oil burning problems we've seen on the various 2.0T engines. I really like the CVT tranmission from a driving standpoint - the shifts are so fast - but I occasionally hear about failures in the clutches. On the other hand, I've seen lots of DSG transmission failures so that's also something to consider.

The TT is a pretty fun drive, especially since the newer engines are more powerful then the 185/225 HP 1.8T engines they were originally available with. If you're coming from a BMW, I'd also suggest you check out the A5/S5 - it's a beautiful car and in S-trim it's got lots of power.

I test drove a 2009 2.0T quattro a few hours ago and absolutely loved it. In a straight line it wasn't anywhere close to as powerful as my 335i was, but I actually like the TT more. I felt it was more composed, and I loved how the cockpit sucked me in, versus the larger interior of the 335i. It felt sportier without the actual horse power... kind of an odd experience.

I also test drove a g37 sport right before, and what a disappointment that was. Really lacked refinement in it's execution.

On the way to the dealership, I was afraid I would dislike the TT and would be back in a 335i... now I'm in love.

I will be sure to stick to the CPO's and will try to find a 3.2 in my price range (though right now I'm not finding any). Thanks!

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

JHVH-1 posted:

APR has another sale going on:
http://www.goapr.com/news/2010/06/21/apr-summer-sale/

Very tempting. $600 for the four program flash on the '10 GTI.

I presume this can be a hassle to bring into the dealer if you're still under warranty?

Typical response of where the dealer might want to void your warranty because of it, then you claim Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or whatever?

P.S. I replaced the 335i with a 2008 Audi TT (2.0T, CPO, 18k miles), and wow do I love it. Pictures coming soon.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
As promised here are the pics of my [new to me] 2008 TT (2.0T, FWD).

My 335i (manual, coupe) was totaled in an accident and while I miss it's raw performance, the TT's looks, cabin feel, and s-tronic transmission make me enjoy it more. I've always loved the TT, ever since the mk1, so this is a great feeling to have something I've lusted over for quite some time.

King-Kong fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 26, 2010

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

wolrah posted:

Is it just me or does this last photo really look like a rendering from a video game? That car is in amazingly good condition, it just looks so shiny.

Full disclosure: I had *just* finished giving it its first wash and wax.

my1999gsr: thanks for the suggestions. I was able to nab this as a CPO and made sure to get one with a good maintenance record and low mileage (18.5k miles). I couldn't find any 3.2 trims within my price range, however.