Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I have a 16 Tiguan with a 2.0L TSI gasoline engine. For some reason though, it sounds kinda like a diesel? Is this thing hosed up, or is this kinda how they sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

The engine is definitely not a diesel. It's a TSI, not a TDI.
Despite what this guy

says/thinks, I haven't been putting diesel in it! :laugh:

One thing that I *am* surprised about with this little engine, is how (relatively) peppy it is. We had a 2.0 non-turbo Jetta before this thing, and that thing was brutally slow/had no pickup.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Its direct injection, which is why. Also, the injection/ignition is quiet enough so you can hear the mechanicals even more, which gives you that sewing machine diesel sound
Thank you. That is the kinda info I was looking for.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I know this isn't an electric/mechanical issue but:

Anybody use those velcro trunk blocks they give you with new VWs? these things:

The fabric on the trunk liner is starting to fray and the blocks don't stick at all anymore. Anyone have any experience with this, or do I just need to replace the mat? I hate to spend $130 on a fancy trunk mat but the blocks are insanely useful for groceries and such.
Oh man, I definitely use those "CarGo" blocks all the time. I love 'em. I haven't had any fraying issues, but I wonder if you could get some Velcro tape at a hardware store and just tape over the frayed bits?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's basically the whole front half of the mat. It seems like the loops are broken and there's not much I can really do except use the blocks in the back half of the trunk :( I'm gonna try a fabric shaver but not too optimistic.
Ah gotcha. That sucks. :(

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

All I know is that everybody in VT drives Subarus, and they are AWD. Purely anecdotal, I realize. But those maple sucking bastards do get a lot of the white stuff.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I drove through a blizzard in VT last January in my VW Tiguan 4motion on normal/all weather tires with no problems at all.
The previous winter I could barely get to work in light snow in a FWD Jetta.
I'm sure that snow tires definitely *do* something, but so does AWD.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's where i grew up, town of 600 people, lots of mountains, 3 paved roads, lots of trees. we had a subaru and also a bunch of 2WD stuff. the 2WD stuff is fine unless it's actively dumping. everything had winter tires from like Oct 15 - April 30.
Aha! So you did have the Subaru! :)
I grew up in Massachusetts, def got plenty of snow. Lived 10 years in NYC, where the snow gets cleared and nobody really drives. Now, living in rural Long Island, we get a ton of snow, and not much snow clearing. Going from the Jetta to an AWD Tiguan has been a game changer. I should probably go ahead and get snow tires to have the best possible traction/safety.

Question: does AWD help with rain/wet or is that more the realm of traction control and ABS?

Also, I love my drat Tiguan. I don't care if it's a grocery hauler. That 2.0T is pretty peppy and fun.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

NoWake posted:

:words: and video
Those road conditions are pretty bad, and not dissimilar to the way the roads get around here before the plows get out.
Where (roughly) is that, if you don't mind my asking?

That SUV was going way too fast for that turn, in those conditions.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

400lb slobbering goon: you dont need awd, it adds too much weight. besides its fun when you get stuck
carol of northampton, ma: i have 4 kids
They get a lotta fuckin' snow in the Pioneer Valley. I'm going with Carol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I was out on the ice in Atlanta after our blizzard
That's what, 6" of snow? ;)