Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I'm looking hard at a 2010 GTI in Northern California, is there anything that I absolutely MUST get as an option? I'm thinking that the Xenon headlights might really be worth it long term, other than that I don't see anything really necessary.

Is there anything I should specifically be looking for when I'm test driving a GTI I'm thinking of buying? I know there's sometimes issues with particular components, if cars built earlier in the week are still better or if I should check for something to be rattling or not.

Any advice is good, I've been quoted between 24k-26k as an OTD price but I still think I can get to 23K~ OTD, I'm checking the prices in Socal as well since I'm a SoCal AAA member and they have a no-haggle price from certain dealers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

PBCrunch posted:

Personally I would avoid the sunroof since it cuts into headroom and adds weight and additional electronics of questionable quality.
I completely agree, with everything you said which is why I'm looking for the base model. I never really understood why people want a sunroof, when would you want to look up at the sky but not get out of the car? The only use I could think of is for watching for Radar choppers/planes. I was more curious about the little quirks I should look out for. I've come across a couple of posts about squeaky trim and know now to look for them. O wondered if anyone here might know of some other things I haven't come across.

I'd take a 2011 if it was a good deal but I have a feeling the 2010 will net me the best deal.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Autism Sundae posted:

And on the price, you should be looking at way below $23K for a base no options GTI. Check truecar.com, they seem to have pretty good pricing data.

Are you talking Out the Door price with fees or are you talking the base "Price" of the car? I've been talking OTD fees and all when I say 24-26k, the OTD fees are ~2k where I live.

Edit: I'd never get Leather Seats and the idea of paying to finance any of these "Options" is pretty ridiculous to me.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 18, 2010

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

scr0llwheel posted:

Just picked up a new 2010 GTI!

Could you Post/Pm or otherwise contact me and tell me exactly what kind of deal you cut for it?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I know I was just curious what he paid. I wasn't asking for a how-to :V

There is a bit of finesse that can be played to get better deals. But it's always a game. For example I'm looking at a used one with 10k on the clock that they want 23.9 for. I think I can get them down to 20k which will put me at ~23 OTD. New ones being not much more expensive I'm hard pressed to not buy new. I'm also looking at WRX's so I have a lot to think about.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Dr. Jackal posted:

shouldn't you be telling them to lower the price since the price OTD is similar to a new GTI?

From what I've seen, an OTD at less than 26 is pretty unheard of. but I'm working on it. All the GTI's in my area have ridiculous packages. The cheapest I've found is actually a 2011 with the sunroof package and they quoted me 23k for it before tax and license. The dealers that have 2010's said they can't break 24k and that the dealer with the 2011 is crazy, but I know they get crazy incentives so they must not want to sell that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
A friend of mine actually had that same 8% experience at a couple Volkswagen dealerships in Sacramento and Vacaville. She has impeccable credit, owns a house and is an officer in the military but they still tried to tell her she didn't qualify for 0%. She ended up going over to the Toyota dealership because she wasn't going to take that.