Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Not exactly the right place for this question but I'm looking at possibly getting a edit(I'm dumb):mkv GTI. Is there anything that I should be looking for when I go to check one out? I know they generally do pretty well in magazine drive tests but what do you all think of them?

vains fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Autism Sundae posted:

Well, mine rattles a lot (or at least did). It's also quick and fun to drive and looks awesome. I'm not sure what you mean as far as things to look for, are you asking which options to get?

my1999gsr, do you guys use lithium grease to lube doors/hinges/locks and other stuff or something else VW-approved? Is lithium grease ok to use? I've heard some people say it's too thick and can ruin certain things.

As in red flags, known issues etc.

I'm buying used, looking at mainly manual 06 GTIs .

vains fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 8, 2010

vains
May 26, 2004

Are the issues(Cam follower, HPFP, DV, AC compressor, anything else?) with the 2.0T FSI overstated?

Edmunds.com has 4 or 5 positive reviews to one negative review. I don't put a whole lot of stock in the website since it's pretty subjective and no control over the sample.

GolfMKV users seem to be of two minds: (a)Don't waste your money on an 06-07 get a late 08 (b)of course you're only going to see negatives. No one posts a thread about how reliable their car is. Take it all with a grain of salt.

VWVortex is more or less the same.

I don't really trust other forums so what is the general consensus(reliability wise), if any, about 06-07 MKV GTIs or the engine?

vains fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 11, 2010

vains
May 26, 2004

I read somewhere, and I can't find the link, that Volkswagen is offering a ton of incentives to move cars right now. Like:
125% trade in value
$2k-$4k dealer cash

Any truth to this?

vains
May 26, 2004

one of the local dealerships is advertising $3k-$4k under msrp on most of their cars. vw must be suffering.

http://www.heritagevw.com/new-inven...-anchor-model-0

vains
May 26, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Apparently not enough to deal on golf :argh:s.

i checked that out too but i dont think they need to deal on an r.

vains
May 26, 2004

is cts a reputable aftermarket brand? if not, who is?

vains
May 26, 2004

the r at the local dealership is a dsg and they've got it inside. the woman that sold me my gti said that they don't do test drives on rs. like its a gtr and not a 34k hatchback.

vains
May 26, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

To be fair, most R's are already reserved and on their way out. I got mine with 6 miles on it. Most dealers have the cars already sold, so they don't need to let people beat on a car they likely aren't going to purchase.

Also lol at comparing a very limited VW against an $80k car that you also likely won't be able to just test drive and beat on.

right. thats the point. it isnt a $100k supercar, its a $34k hatchback. i get that its artificially scarce or whatever but you have to admit that its kind of ridiculous at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Anyone can test drive a tesla. They know most of the people who test drive can never afford to buy it but they let anyone do it anyway to pass around word of mouth. I drove one specced up to $115k a while ago and the acceleration from 40 to 90 was unreal.

Also I test drove a golf R at a dealership that doesn't have a stick up their rear end so it is doable at some places. Dealerships that treat the golf R and the Focus RS like an exclusive supercar are ridiculous. Subaru was doing the same thing with the BRZ in the first year of its existence and that's why I ended up getting an FR-S back then.

i actually test drove a brz, got a quote and then used that to get a slightly better deal on an frs(they threw in some options for free or something). if the guy had gotten me into a wrx like i wanted to test drive first, he probably would have gotten a sale.