Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

I thought it was fast at the time.

COUGH 71hp COUGH
I finally bit the bullet and got a new car- 2012 GTI 6spd manual, base. I've wanted one for about two years and the time was right- local dealer had exactly the car I wanted in stock! I'm absolutely LOVING it so far.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for rear seat covers (for the dog) or front/rear passenger partitions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

COUGH 71hp COUGH
Well, I just returned from my first drive in the GTI with my dog, and it didn't go especially well. The seat protector worked well, but I really need a dog barrier to separate the front and back seats. Does anyone have any advice/experience? The dog is an 80 lb boxer/lab mix, and he's very determined to be in the driver's seat the instant my fat rear end is off of it.

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

COUGH 71hp COUGH

smax posted:

Back seats up or down?

The cargo cover can actually work as a barrier when you have your seats folded down. Use the two cargo hooks on the backs of the seats to hold the straight edge of the cargo cover and loop the strings (that attach the cover to the hatch and lift the cover when you open the hatch) around the front readrests so the thing doesn't flop over. Bam, instant free dog/cargo barrier. And you don't really need a seat cover then.

Thanks for the advice- for most dogs, that sounds like it would be perfect. My dog, unfortunately, has gone through interior doors/drywall due to separation anxiety, so I don't think the cargo cover would stand much of a chance. He's actually doing much better than when I first got him.

However, I did pick up a harness (http://www.amazon.com/Solvit-62296-Vehicle-Safety-Harness/dp/B000MD3NOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331773400&sr=8-1). When it's attached to the shoulder belt, he can still get in the front- but he can't when it's attached to the lap belt! Hopefully he won't chew through it. :ohdear:

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

COUGH 71hp COUGH

my1999gsr posted:

That's what you need. The alarm horn won't chirp because the door latch has failed in the "open" position. I'm assuming your dome light either doesn't come on or stays on when the doors are closed?

Experienced exactly these symptoms yesterday when the trunk lock failed on the hatchback of my 2012 GTI. Dealer couldn't get the parts here until Tuesday, so they scavenged the needed parts off another new car on the lot.

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

COUGH 71hp COUGH
My 2012 GTI (base model, manual transmission) is making a knocking sound from the right rear (I think). The dealer has had it in several times and removed/inspected the right rear suspension and can't reproduce it or find the cause. It seems to happen only when cold, and the car has to be moving for it to start. Once it starts, it will do it intermittently for several minutes (until it warms up), but is especially prominent upon stopping (could just be a reduction in road noise, I realize). The noise is not speed dependent and I feel no vibrations in the steering wheel or otherwise. My warranty is going to be up in a few months, so I'd really like to get this fixed. Any ideas? Something in the fuel delivery system, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

COUGH 71hp COUGH

chutwig posted:

It's probably the fuel cap pressure testing. My GTI does it as well and I'm pretty sure that it's part of the car's emissions controls.

Holy poo poo, man. I'll try to confirm with the dealer, but I think you're right- thanks!