Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Took my 09 GTI in for the 40k today which also had a CEL on a few days prior. Apparently the fault is for the intake flap motor on the manifold. I did notice my mpg take a dip around the same time so I suppose that it's stuck open or something? Anyway, they want to replace the intake flap motor for $970 which seems pretty loving steep to me. Anyone else have this problem before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Yeah it's got the 36k warranty. Doing some basic internet research it looks like the TSI flappers are dP driven rather than with a motor as are the FSI's. Which is a shame because replacing the motor seems like something even I could do. So is there any detrimental effects to driving the car like this besides my mpg drop? If not I'd have to see how long I'd have to drive in order for the cost of the repair to equal the cost of fuel spent.

Also would banging the engine block with a pipe wrench a little bit help it? :I

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Looks cool assuming you've replaced the ugly yellow stock ones with ones that match the headlamps

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Stupid question about replacing the fuel filter for a MkV GTI. Do I have to worry about draining the tank when I pull the connections out? Reading online leads me to believe the connections are similar to quick disconnects so the line should only be open when the release button is pressed or when it's connected. Is this correct?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

I've had error code P2015 on my 09 GTI for a while now which indicates some sort of problem with the flapper valve on the intake manifold. I took it to the dealer and they wanted to replace the entire intake manifold for about a grand so I told them no thanks since it seemingly runs fine. A few days ago I saw that the mechanical linkage from the motor to the valve was disconnected. I realigned it and put it back in but it's not snug at all and a few days later I checked again and it was out. I popped it back in and had someone check the motor while I revved the engine. It seemed to move in and out smoothly with the revs so I don't think the motor is bad or anything. I'm assuming the problem is just that linkage popping out from the valve.

Does anyone know if there's supposed to be some sort of cap or cover that holds the linkage in place with the valve?

Pics for reference

Everything connected

Linkage disconnected

drizzle fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 7, 2012

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Another DWS user here. I'm at about 50k miles with them and thought they've done really well in all conditions. I'm about due for a new set of tires and probably am going to go with them again. Kinda tempted to get a summer set now and a set of winter tires/wheels in a few months but I'll probably just get the DWS again and save some money. I do feel they are rather loud though.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Having some engine issues with my 2009 gti. Last week my engine started getting jerky while accelerating and threw some engine codes up for cylinder misfires. Thought it might be the spark plugs so I replaced them but I'm still having the same problem. It only seems to happen if I put a lot of load on the engine at low rpms in a high gear (like if I stay in sixth on the highway and try to accelerate). The code it throws up now is C0700 and googling around for it doesn't give me much info on what it could be. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Motronic posted:

The exact codes would be helpful here.

But considering what you drive, it's likely to be coils.

Do not take that as a diagnosis. It's a guess based on almost no information at this point.

e: I don't know what C0700 is, but it's a (C)hassis code so it has absolutely nothing to do with your motor. In fact, it's likely to be a generic chassis code being read by a scanner that doesn't know what code it is, just that there is a chassis code present.

The code for the cylinder misfire was C0300. And yeah googling the C0700 leads me to believe its a garbage code. I'm at 96k miles and haven't replaced the coils yet so I suppose it could be that. Could it be an issue with the fuel filter?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Yikes, so I was jacking up my car using the little jack that comes with the car so I can throw a jack stand under it to replace my fuel filter and in the middle of taking the tire off the jack started slipping and just collapsed. I only had one lug on the tire bearing the weight but I drove it around when I was done and it doesn't seem like the axle or bearing is hosed up or anything thank God. Just more reason to invest in some jack stands if you're going under the car. Replacing the fuel filter was easy enough but the fuel outlet clip was a bitch to get off on account of the retaining clip being pointed up and away. Not sure if the fuel filter really solved any of the issues I had yet though since we're in the middle of a snowstorm and didn't want to drive out of the neighborhood yet. Guess I'll find out when I go to work tonight and if I'm still having issues I'll give the coil packs a shot I suppose.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

I ran the DWS for 50k miles and liked em so much I just got another set about 10k miles ago. The first set were solid but I ended about getting a flat a few weeks ago on the new set. I hit a really large pothole though so it was probably to be expected. The day after it happened driving to work I saw them filling the pothole I had hit the day before too. I have real good luck :/

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Well my 09 gti is hosed up again. I was just pulling into work and my car died at a stop sign and the engine fault workshop message came up along with the battery light, cel, and the epic icon. Restarted the engine and was able to limp into a parking spot but wasn't able to go above 2k rpm. When I stopped the engine idled really really rough and was shaking pretty bad.

I pulled codes P2101, P0121, P0101, P0221, C0300 and C0700. Putting this together from Google makes it seem like its the throttle body? Possibly the wiring harness may be unplugged or bad. Anyone have any info they can give me before I go back out and troubleshoot or call a tow truck?

I just replaced the spark plugs, coil packs and intake manifold because of the flapper valve breaking so I don't think its any of that.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

loving nice. Just got a letter from vw that they extended the warranty for the faulty intake manifold I had to replace out of pocket. Hopefully I get back that 1000 dollars I dropped on the repairs.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

I've always just used my hands to pull coil packs out and haven't had a problem

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Golf R priced to start at 36500.

http://autoblog.com/2014/11/19/2015-vw-golf-r-pricing-official

Looks like a pretty healthy competitor to the STi

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

PoopinClumpin posted:

Has anyone ran into carbon buildup problems on the 3.0TFSI motor in the 2010+S4 and 2012+S5/A6 and some other cars?

I'm curious because my S4 2010 has almost 40K miles on it; and although I haven't noticed any power loss, I'm not sure if there's any preventative maintenance I could be or should be doing about it.

I'm looking to get this done on my 09 gti since I think it's causing all the misfire codes I've been getting for a while. A place near me quoted about $800. Does that sound about right? I know they would need to pull the intake manifold at least which looked like a pain.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Hit black ice Wednesday and wedged my 09 gti between a metal barrier and light pole. They decided to total it Friday. Rip gti. Even though I can't remember ever driving you without a check engine light on you were still pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

Been looking around for the past two years and have been leaning towards a WRX. GTI is good but I could go for something different. Focus RS sounds awesome but doubt I would be able to get one at a reasonable price.

200 miles away from 150k on that thing :/