Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I have a 2008 Rabbit 5-speed. I've noticed when I open the door after the car's been off, I hear a very faint motor whirring for about a second. It's done it since the car was new, so I presume it's normal - I'm just curious what it is. Any idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Autism Sundae posted:

Dealer got the broken piece of that plastic clip out but the new clip had to be ordered and will take a week to get here for some reason. Clip is $3 and quoted installation is $130 - how difficult is it to do it myself? I just put the clip in and snap the seat in place, right?

At that price, what do you have to lose trying it yourself? -$127?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm going to be storing my 2008 Rabbit for a little under a year. After getting it scratched sitting on the street, and realizing I hadn't put gas in it in over a month, I decided it's not worth the risk of damage it has parked on the street. Anything I should do to it now?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

DropShadow posted:

My wife's '07 Rabbit 2.5 idles really high on startup as well. Whenever I drive it, I wait for the idle to dip back down before shifting into drive. I think she asked a service tech about it and they said it was normal, but I'm curious to hear what my1999gsr has to say about it.

Mine (2008) does likewise, but it will drop down as soon as I drop it in to reverse and let the clutch out.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my1999gsr, what are your thoughts on the Routan? VW seems to be pushing those stupid things really hard as of late, are they unable to sell them?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

primitive posted:

why vw thought they would be able to sell more chryslers than chrysler, i have no idea

Same reason Apple thinks they can sell more Sanyo Eneloops than Sanyo? :v:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

scr0llwheel posted:

Correction: I didn't pick it up. After we agreed on a price (22k + TTL) last night, they ran my credit this morning and wouldn't approve the 0% APR. Apparently a great credit score but no loan history besides a credit card doesn't work. They tried to push me into an 8% APR and then the finance guy hung up on me after I told him this was a bait and switch.

Wow, that sucks. I have average credit history, all of it credit cards and a tiny ($1500) student loan, and VW Credit didn't approve me for 0% - they approved me for 1%. This was back in 2008 though, so who knows what's changed.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

wav3form posted:

german je ne sais quoi

:raise:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Beta Ray Bill posted:

Dude, some motherfucker keyed my buddy's A4 all the way around it about a month ago. Haters

Someone keyed the passenger side of my '08 Rabbit a few months ago. Seriously, wtf do you have against a loving Rabbit?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mrbucket posted:

Interesting. I have an iPhone 3gs. The connector works fine in an old 4th gen iPod I have lying around that's dead, just not the 3gs.

As for a pic, so far this is all I've taken. I'll have a picture session with it eventually...

I'd agree, but when I was doing a test drive (and I test drove several TDIs) the two with iPod connectors seemed to do this. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt my iPhone before I went asking.

If it's the same iPod adapter they've been using since '08, it's not iPhone Compatible anyhow. It won't charge your phone, even if it will play music off of it.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Autism Sundae posted:

Traction control kicked in for some weird reason when I was taking a corner today :psyduck: Wasn't even going fast, it's just an exit that I took at maybe 15-20 mph. I guess it rained a bit yesterday so maybe the asphalt was still wet?

Traction control more like No Fun Indicator Light.

It's way too touchy on my Rabbit too.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

VW Electrics :rolleyes:

photo.JPG by minivanmegafun, on Flickr

(2008 Rabbit, stickshift)

Had the hazards on for about 20 minutes in a loading zone, came back to this. The turn signals and hazards still WORK fine, but the indicators in the cluster are stuck illuminated. The audible click doesn't sound, either.

Any ideas? I'm probably going to try yanking the battery connection for a few minutes and see if that resets it.

e: Went downstairs with tools, and it had fixed itself. Okay then.

Some wrecker was nice enough to shove his business card in my window in the 30 minutes I was in my apartment, though. Thanks guy.

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 9, 2011

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my1999gsr posted:

That's a new one for me - I've never seen that problem before. It could be an overheat problem or a mechanical issue in the 4-way switch.

Yeah, that was the strangest part - the 4-way appeared to be working fine. I could signal fine (and glance through the window to confirm it was working), but the click relay (obviously not used for signaling) and the cluster were messed up.

The hazards were still working fine if viewed from the outside, too; and the button itself was still blinking.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

If this hasn't been covered, here's a summary of my question: just how the gently caress does 3rg gen MMI want me to tag music? I have everything cleanly tagged in iTunes, but after importing some stuff comes out as Unknown Artist, some genres are coming out of nowhere, some albums are sorted alphabetically instead of by track. Does it prefer ID3v1 or v2 for MP3?

iTunes MP3 tagger is horribly broken for some reason.

Right (control-) click on a track, use Convert ID3 tag, and set it to version 2.3. (None of the other versions worked, in my experience). Then, use something like id3info (part of id3lib, http://id3lib.sourceforge.net/) to verify that the information was written properly.

No idea if this will work for you with MMI, but it worked when I carried my iTunes library to Amarok at work.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Jook posted:

2009 Audi A3 with 23k miles on it. Took it in for service and they want to replace the rear rotors/pads for nearly $500.

The front brakes are perfectly fine, the rear they say "they wouldn't recommend driving more than 1000 more miles on as they're so low".

$500? Pads AND Rotors? Only 23k miles? I'm so confused.

wait, the fronts are fine and the rears are shot? do you spend your entire commute driving backwards? :psyduck:

Go get a second opinion.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

My 2008 Rabbit (2-door, manual, 27k miles) is being weird!

So, I asked my boyfriend to move it to the other side of the street for me (street cleaning time!). Since he hates carrying around the giant fob, he uses the valet key. Puts it in, door unlocks (not all the doors, just the driver door), hops in, alarm goes off.

Alarm is silenced by putting the key in the ignition and starting the car, he drives it over to the other side of the street, parks it, and turns the key to lock the door. No alarm-arm chirp sounds.

A little while later, I get home, and check it out. I'm able to arm/disarm the alarm with the keyfob, but not directly in the door. Unlocking the door only fires the mechanical lock - the alarm armed indicator on the door continues to blink. Also, the cool hold-key-in-position-to-roll-windows-up/down feature isn't working either. Holding the key at Lock will make the car chirp as if i'm arming it multiple times in a row.

Any ideas before I call up my friendly local VW dealer for warranty service? (And who's the preferred dealer in Chicago for this stuff?)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I've got a 2008 VW Rabbit with the iPod adapter and I want to shift it over to using aux in instead of the iPod connector.

It's a silver-face Premium 7 radio, which as far as I know supports aux in. From the googling I've been able to find, I just need to shift the last byte on the config from 2 to 1.

I managed to chat with it using a cheap-o VAG-CANBUS cables and VAG-K+CAN COMMANDER, and it accepted a new code, moving from 40402 to 40401. Nothing changed, but I can read it back out and it's still 40401. Hitting CD twice still reports NO MAGAZIN or plays an iPod. I tried twiddling that last byte to whatever it will accept (which is 0, 1, and 2) and no change whatsover. 0's supposed to drop support for the secondary CD mode altogether.

I'm pretty certain I'm writing to the correct place, as soon as I connect to the module the radio shuts off and reads DIAG.

I figured rebooting the radio might be the proper next step, so I looked up the fuse in the manual. Popped the hood, found that it was rated for 2x what the manual said (30A instead of 15A), pulled it, and....yeah. Radio kept playing.

So what next?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dudeabides posted:

It's a Mk V 2.5 engine

I was getting misfires on my Mk V 2.5 Rabbit S at 40k miles but replacing just the plugs cleared it right up.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

jamal posted:

Is there a way to reset the "service due" light without like a vag-com, or is it something a cheap elm327 thing just isn't physically capable of doing? This is for a friend's 2013 Q5 that I've been doing some basic maintenance on. That light is on and he's getting close to like 60k so we're going to do some stuff in the near future and it'd be nice to be able to turn that off.

Check the owner's manual? I know the button presses to reset it on my 2008 Rabbit is just plain spelled out in there.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

anyone know what's involved and/or the cost in replacing the headliner in a MkV rabbit? Mine's starting to give out pretty bad.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

2007 GTI no leaks. And no sagging headliner either, I've heard that can be a problem.

I have a 2008 rabbit with no sunroof so it doesn't leak, but the headliner is more like a head covering

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

If anyone else still has a mk5 hatchback Golf or GTI, here's my sub enclosure. Close your eyes and imagine it's 2002!

I got it off ebay from the UK (to Canada) and had it shipped for under $150, found a sub that would work well with the volume of the enclosure, and some amp that matched the sub. It works great and I love it. Had it for a few years but took a photo for someone else and thought I'd share it here.

speaking of mk5 audio things, anyone got a good suggestion for a carplay-compatible headunit? mine is a base Rabbit so I don't have satellite controls, something with a real volume knob on it would be ace.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

nitsuga posted:

Yeah, I think most modern VAG card pressurize the fuel pump when you do that. My Golf whines when I get anywhere near the car with my fob. Planning on asking the dealer about that a little later though, as it hasn’t drained the battery or anything yet.

yup. my 08 Rabbit does it when I open the door.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

gas caps are cheap, just replace it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

silly question:

I have a 2008 mk5 Rabbit and I kinda want amber rear turn signals for it. I assume I can just drop the euro market part in, where do I get them?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

ECS Tuning has some, but they seem a bit expensive? Looks like it's the whole assembly, not just the cover.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/mirror-mounted-turn-signal-lens-right/1k5949102/

Doesn't seem that bad to replace, but lots of small clips that can break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1C9jkP1gI

EDIT: put that part number into Amazon and got a listing for half that price.

EDIT2: Double check my link! It seems like there are two versions for the MKV Jetta, so make sure it's for the correct year.

Yup, did it on my Rabbit, was about a 45 minute job being super careful not to snap anything.

Look around on eBay as well, there’s a handful of VW dealers selling VW parts directly.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I’m really sad the GSW is dead. I really wanted one and I think it was the last station wagon available with a stick in the US.

My mk5 Rabbit is still humming along fine, it’s kinda hard to believe it’s a 13 year old car. I’m going to replace the headliner and put a CarPlay head unit in it this summer and continue driving it, I might even ship it to CA if I move there.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

TheBacon posted:

Which isn’t the best bar considering the mk8 golf isn’t coming here either :/

what

hasn't every variant of the Golf ever been released in the US market? are we that allergic to hatchbacks?

to be fair driving around Chicago my car feels tiny. everyone has trucks and crossovers now.

At least the Compact Car Only spots are almost always open when I need them and I don't find myself making multiple-point turns navigating parking garages and alleys

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 2, 2021

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

If the poverty spec mk5 wasn’t so well built I might have!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

My mk5 Rabbit has had a rhythmic tick from the rear passenger side since new, usually when started from cool or cold (outside temp <=50ish F or so). It’ll go away once the car warms up.

What is it? Fuel pump making weird sounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

No modern automatic will allow you to money shift. Also most will drat near lock the torque converter on decel.

afaik this has been true for years, my 85 Toyota Van would lock the TC on decel and you could totally engine break with it. It’s super important to be able to do that on long declines so you don’t cook your brakes.

it’s kinda silly and a lot of wear on your transmission to do it on flat pavement.