Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

I am looking at buying a pretty serious b5 s4. Stage 3 with nitrous. It's still on the stock bottom end and when I asked about the rods the owner replied that the engine was out of a 2002 a6 2.7t, and that it had different rods that year which are stronger. Can anyone confirm this?

Sound fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Can anyone give me an overview on worst case scenario for a blown headgasket on a vr6? Is the headgasket+labor+possible head resurface the extent of it?

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

The worst case scenario is you overheated it or the oil is so contaminated with coolant that the bearings are trashed along with everything else and it's not economically viable to even attempt to repair the motor and it just needs to be swapped.

That's not at all likely, even without more information from you. But if you want the worst case, it's definitely "new motor".

Headgasket blew on the highway, engine still runs. Coolant system was pressurized and blew a coolant hose.

It's a car I am considering buying, and now it is at a $9k discount.

What can I ask to determine the likelihood of further damage?

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

You need a partial teardown to know if there is more damage.

Coolant exhaust gas tests and leak down tests can only tell you what's getting where, not WHY. While a head gasket is a likely cause it can be a cracked head, cracked block, or the head could have gotten hot enough that it will turn into a pretzel when it's removed rendering it useless.

What was this thing priced at to begin with and exactly what is it? It may be financially reasonable to repair with a motor swap at the right price, it may not be. But you should assume it's a motor swap and be pleasantly surprised if it's less than that.

It's a b5 s4 avant with a built vr6 swap, turbo pushing 30 psi, lots of other custom work. Original price was around $25k.

The owner was driving it to me, said it blew the hg at part throttle and he shut it down immediately. I am out of town until Saturday so I have some time to consider it.

Typically I would walk away, but part of the deal was a trade for my current car, which would be a major PITA to sell, especially for what it is worth in this particular trade.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yeah. Run away.

It's a basket case of PO fuckery that he's trying to unload on you.

Well as usual I went against all good advice. Pulled the head and the gasket was popped between a cylinder and coolant port.

Head checked out good, just barely needed a valve job but I figured may as well.

After a few weeks of reassemble, cuss, disassemble, reassemble I fired it up yesterday. Everything works! Temps are good, power is utterly insane, tranny is butter smooth after you get out of the dog cut 1-2.

Still reading over autronic sm4 fuel injection, if anyone is an expert I have a few questions.

So yeah, 820 awhp in a b5 avant. Pretty pumped.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

I have a feeling you'll be back posting in here sooner rather than later.

I'm coming off a stage 3 s4, so I'm fairly familiar with the platform. Plus there are lots of vr6 resources out there and I have a trusted mechanic if I can't figure it out.

But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if I found a way to break it, I'm not too worried though.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

bennyfactor posted:

As a driver of a 190 bhp b5 avant, I demand some pictures of this, it sounds delightful :syoon: :syoon:

As requested: dirty from dispatching a tank of e85 with extreme violence

http://imgur.com/fFIVZz6.jpg

And the fun box:

http://imgur.com/cGj7H3X.jpg

the milk machine posted:

I have a B8 S4 with about 50k miles, and the mechanic who did my brakes mentioned that the upper control arms on both sides need to be replaced because the bushings have failed. Apparently this is a common Audi issue?

This is a pretty pricey job; are the OEM parts the best replacement, or is there something more durable I could swap in? This is my daily driver, so no need for any race-y bits really.

OEM is probably your best bet, but 034 Motorsports never did me wrong on any suspension/drivetrain upgrades.

Sound fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 24, 2014

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

8ender posted:

:stare: how large is that turbo

Precision 6766 ball bearing. Pushing 39psi on the current tune. It does make a lovely noise under boost :vince:

Also, spent some time poking around autronic, adapted the TPS to try and take care of a hunting idle. I'm super impressed with autronic after using vag-com in the past. It's crazy the amount of customization you can do. WOT shift, launch control, anti-lag...this is gonna be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Anyone got a good source for b5 rs4 interior bits? 820 whp wagon needs more than stock s4 seats IMO, and I'm having a hell of a time finding the proposer recaros in the states.