Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Hey all, was in the market for a newer car and saw this 2012 Golf R popup. Haven't done too much research on the R's since it was out of my price range so I don't know anything about them. But any comments or suggestions for someone who hasn't owned a VW before that they should know about?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Use...sting=171623469

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BlackMK4 posted:

0 regrets. Doing it over I would never have bought the GTI.

Can you go more in depth on this?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Speaking of reliability, how are the MK7 GTIs in terms of that? I'm really torn between deciding on a MK7 GTI or a 2018 WRX. My major concern is that I'll be moving to a more rural area within the year and I'm slightly concerned that I won't have access to a reliable mechanic / dealer.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

veedubfreak posted:

Well the GTI is going to be the much more livable car. VW actually uses metal thicker than tin foil and has insulation in the cabin.

The MK7 is a huge step forward from the MK6. As far as reliability, well just check back the last page or so people stated their "issues".

I've pretty much decided on a GTI and am working with a couple of dealers to get the best price. Right now I am unsure if I want cloth or leather seats. I really did like the sunroof when I drove the SE the other day, but have heard that it can have some issues?

Also I am wanting to order a US Millworks tow hook license plate holder but am having a hard time trying to figure out if all models have the front parking sensor or if that is JUST for the ones that have the driver assistance package?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
That is a good point, how hard is it to upgrade the stereo system? I think that would be the main selling point on the SE for me.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Have you looked searching through either the VW website, cars.com, autotrader.com, etc?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Blue is the only true color.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm struggling to come up with a reason not to buy one

other than not wanting a car loan but i'm just kinda over having cars that need work all the time, even if my e46 isn't too bad maintenance-wise

Go test drive one, find some curvy roads and slap it in sports mode.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

I got the dealership to offer me 26500 + TTL + 0.9 for 72 months which i think i'll have to take. MSRP is 28800.

For what trim / what part of the world/country? If you happen to be anywhere near Virginia I would highly suggest making a day trip to go out there. Since VWOA is in Herndon, Virginia there are a large number of VW dealerships that for whatever reason sell waaay below what the rest of the nation sells for.
For reference I just bought my '17 GTI SE Manual about a month ago.
MSRP: $32,030
Paid: $25,599.17 + TTL + Docs + Delivery (no incentives, womp womp)
Total OTD: $27,456.25

Also if you take their financing, I think you lose out on about $2,000. I was very surprised to find that out when I started to talk financing since it wasn't mentioned anywhere. Depending on your credit, it might be worth bringing in your own preapproval.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 6, 2017

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Get a GTI with DSG. :)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Larrymer posted:

Is there anything worth getting on the 2018 vs. the 2017? I'm looking at test driving a sport with a manual.

Not really, no. Few cosmetic differences but that's about it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I think that depends, are you still going to be able to get crazy good deals on the 2018s?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah I checked his post history but it was just buying and selling small aftermarket add-ons. He only had the car for a year or so before selling it, not sure who he got it from.

Aftermarket alarm system? Remote starter?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Larrymer posted:

For snows you'll want 17's (or 16's if you get the S trim...brakes are smaller so smaller wheels will fit over them) anyway, so it's better than being locked into using the OEM 18's for your winter set. Snow tires are cheaper in smaller sizes being the reasoning.

Is that the only reason to go a smaller size?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
At least he found a fix to the problem instead of giving up and leaving it a mystery!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Styles Bitchley posted:

By "talk you into a Golf R" you mean pay full MSRP or more because so they could care less about moving the few that are out there for less.

One of my local dealers (Lindsay VW) recently had a sale on current year R's for 5k off MSRP. :iiam:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

GutBomb posted:

Were they actually selling for that or was that the price after a bunch of incentives no one actually qualifies for?

It was an actual sale they had going on for two days. A sales guy that hangs out in the our local Vw group posted about it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
OBDeleven does the same thing that VCDS can. You just need an android device to run the app.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOi9PVVXF7o

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

JollyPubJerk posted:

so water just dropped out of my GTI's top console. Is the only way to fix it is to burn it down?

MK7?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
If I’m not mistaken, once you go past anything beyond APR+, VWs corporate diagnostic system that they hook up to your car can tell if it’s ever been stage 1/2 and your car automatically gets the TD1 flag even if you revert back to stock. I would imagine that would still hold true if you were stage 1/2 and went back to APR+.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

antisodachrist posted:

I have a 2011 GTI that has a tire that won't hold air. I hit a pretty nasty pot hole, so I think the rim is either bent or cracked. I can get the wheel repaired, but the security lock is missing. The tire place I used never put it back into my car, and I have moved cross country since then. Is there a reasonable way to get that security lug removed with out it, and without damaging wheel? I have checked youtube and other places and there is a way by hammering an oversized socket, but that seems excessive. I checked with VW dealers in the area, and they don't supply matching replacements anymore (not since about 2013). They can replace them all with a new set if I can get the car there. A tow truck will also not clear the entrance the parking garage where I live.

There are some kits I could buy off amazon, but I cannot tell which one would fit other than the one that runs about 83 dollars. That seems a bit much to spend for a one time use.

Any suggestions?

Does the lock look like something a large hex key would fit in or does it have the wavy flower pattern? If the former then it is just a cap and you just use a pin or something to pop it out. If the latter, then try joining a GTI group for your area and seeing if anyone has something.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Find a local mechanic, my guy down in NoVA will do carbon cleanings for like half that price.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Early 2015 GTI with IS20s had issues with turbos going. IS38s in general are already know to be pretty weak overall.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
:stare: an eraser wheel and some goo gone would have done the same job without having to use such a strong solvent on clear coat.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
OBDeleven does like 95% of what VCDS does and is now iOS compatible (needs a specific dongle than what was previously sold).

So how far down the rabbit hole are you going!?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Deviant posted:

I'd also need the plastic cap puller, dunno if you have that.

For the caps you can use any random L shaped item to pull it off. Like a allen key or something.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

shy boy from chess club posted:

VCDS does a ton more things than a generic OBD2 cable on VAG cars, thats where the cost comes from.

What does it do over OBDeleven though? I think the only upside VCDS has over OBDeleven now is it can handle data logging better.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Something Offal posted:

I don't think it's been discussed in this thread before, https://caristaapp.com/ Carista is a new-ish player in this market, and I believe it can do many of the functions that people look for w/ VAG-COM?

Haven't tried it yet but I'm considering, I want to be able to open the windows on my A4 with the fob :)

I'm coming from the GTI world, but Carista has limited functionality. I think the main disadvantage with VAGCOM is you need a device that can be hooked up via USB, and the expense of the cable, current new price of a 3 VIN cable is $200USD. Versus OBDeleven which is $80, but is Android only so another $20 for a phone if you don't have one. Still can't really find out what VCDS can do over OBDeleven other than data logging more efficiently.

edit: If all you want to do is just roll the windows up/down with the FOB then Carista is fine.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 24, 2019

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Deviant posted:

Oof, this is the kind of car you have to like, wash, isn't it?

Get it ceramic coated and you’ll have to put in a lot less effort in washing!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Deviant posted:

tell me more.

https://youtu.be/KY-8KyRrOuE

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

JD posted:

I’m sure this has been posted about but I don’t have time at the moment to dig through the whole thread...

I’m in California and I’ve got a 2008 VW Rabbit, and I’m trying to get my tags up to date and took it to smog and everything cleared but the secondary air system. It reads “not ready” and I’ve tried the drive cycle twice with no luck. I’ve called the dealer and a few smog guys but they’ve been no help. Any advice?

Was the car sitting for a while or the battery disconnected at some point for anything? You might need to do up to 5 drive cycles.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

JD posted:

Sorry the double post. Question regarding this drive cycle thing, when it says “half throttle” what does that mean exactly?

I considered that I drive my car pretty light and rarely go much above 3k rpms. Should I be doing the drive cycle in 3rd gear or so to open up the rpms to like 4K?

Accelerator pedal half way to floor, or half throttle. Full throttle would be pedal to metal!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Synthetic 5W-40, just make sure it meets VW 502.00 standards. Audi uses Castrol Edge as their OEM.

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/MyAudi/audi-2017-oil-and-fuel-brochure%20.pdf

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
No. It is just a fact of VW sunroofs sucking big time. Either the sunroof will crack, the surrounding trim will crack, the drain plugs will plug and leak inside, or something else asinine.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Don't use wiper fluid?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What are people's thoughts between JB4 and APR?

JB4 if you want to keep your warranty.
APR if you want a decent flash tune.
Custom tune if you want something more specific for your car and what mods it has.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Anyone changed the diff oil on a mk7 with PP? There’s nothing in the manual about it but I’m reading online it’s a 30k service item, which makes sense around that time.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

did you DIY or pay to have it done? how much did it cost?

This is super easy to do, just a little annoying since the diff fluid needs to be within a certain temperature range so you'll need OBDeleven or VCDS to read the temperature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW6b5myTgvI

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Are you just looking for a daily? Are you absolutely deadset on an R? Planning on modding? Worried about warranty? Buying a VW lemon just seems like a horribly bad idea no matter how you look at it. Just because it looks like it is stock doesn't mean it was modified and beat on at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I mean I commute 120mi round trip and do fine when it snows with dedicated snow tires in the GTI. Granted, I don't get Michigan type snow.