Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I have a 2012 Passat TDI that had the check engine light came on, checked at autozone for the error code: P0203. It says "Injector circuit open- cylinder 3"

Is this likely to be a crazy $1000+ repair? I've read that injectors are pricey. Also can anyone recommend a good Chicago/ south suburbs repair shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Negromancer posted:

Is the car not under warranty anymore? I would just take it to the vw dealer.

No, my wife has a pretty far commute, so we're at 50k+ miles right now. Way past the 36k warranty.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Styles Bitchley posted:

This not covered under drivetrain warranty?

Ha, forgot about the drivetrain warranty, (5 years/60k miles). We're at 56k on the car now, so looks like we should be under the wire on that one. Made a dealer appointment for Tuesday.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

borkencode posted:

Ha, forgot about the drivetrain warranty, (5 years/60k miles). We're at 56k on the car now, so looks like we should be under the wire on that one. Made a dealer appointment for Tuesday.

So, wife dropped the car at a dealer this morning, and she just got a call that we're looking at a $1700 repair. The only thing they told her was wrong was that the adblue sensor was giving faulty readings, and would need to be replaced.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

agarjogger posted:

I have never bought a new car, so I just picked out a bunch with good fuel mileage and started from there. My Prius test rides were super bland, while my rides in the Jetta and Passat TDI's were very enjoyable. I definitely care about that kind of thing.

Is the Jetta's backseat big enough for comfortable road tripping with two backseat passengers, large adult males? Or should I forget it and get the Passat.

I'm 6'1" and have a Passat. I can't really speak to the current Jetta, I looked at a used one 10 years ago and found the backseat a little cramped then. The Passat though (the US version) is plenty roomy. My 6'3" friend can fit in the backseat with me in the front just fine.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
So uh, the owner's manual for my 2014 Passat goes from page 104 to 137, no pages in between.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Looks like the missing info is in the app, thanks!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
VAG is recalling half a million cars due to cheating diesel emissions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/b...89&ref=cta&_r=1

2009-2015 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, A3
2014,2015 Passat

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Letter from CARB to VW
http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/in_use_compliance_letter.htm

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Here's a talk by a couple guys that looked at how the cheating software worked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZSU1FPDiao First 20 minutes is mostly dissing the "management did nothing wrong" stance.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Activated my VW bribe today.

In other news VW hired the guy that created the compensation packages for 9/11 families and the GM ignition scandal. Article

e: 30k mile service came out to $470, which uh was covered by the bribe, but ouch.

borkencode fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 14, 2016

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
There's a new recall for 2012-2014 TDI Passats, an improperly sealed connector can start a fire in the underbody. https://consumermediallc.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/rclrpt-16v171-5191.pdf

Also your airbag may kill you.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Are we supposed to hear more about the diesel settlement this month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

TsarZiedonis posted:

If all the car had to do to be bought back is drive to the dealership under its own power, does that mean that I can strip the interior parts and sell them on eBay?

Edit: how about installing a spoiler and spray painting storm troopers and Darth Vader on the side?

I was wondering about swapping the wheels for steelies.