Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

veedubfreak posted:

Mine makes that sound every time I open the driver's door. It only does this when the car hasn't been driven recently.

Oh I know which sound you mean, but this one's way louder and.. just different somehow, more mechanical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

my1999gsr posted:

Not a big deal at all - your car is using the Kessy system to unlock or lock the steering column when it sees the key or the vehicle is turned off. Since you have no mechanical key to lock or unlock the steering column your car uses Kessy to activate/deactivate the ESCL (Electronic Steering Column Lock).

What about the yellow steering wheel icon - does that just turn on whenever steering wheel column is locked or unlocked? I'm just paranoid about warning lights :tinfoil:

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Cool, thanks a lot guys!

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

meatpimp posted:

How much off the new price? It's a 2 year old car, you're well into "used" territory for comparison. Also, "base" model can mean various things as well -- does it have the plaid cloth interior? Sunroof? DSG? ipod connection in the armrest? The base model had some pretty significant options that can affect the price.

They all have the iPod connection cable. Base model for a 2010 (since packages were introduced in 2011) would mean plaid cloth seats, no HID lights, no Dynaudio, no sunroof, and 17 inch wheels. DSG was a 1K option, but most of the "stripped" GTIs will probably have a manual. A base 2010 is still better equipped than a base 2011 though.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I assumed '10 was the same as '09, my brother has an '09 base with HID, DSG and the ipod connection (cloth/no sunroof/17"). I think the ipod dealy was optional in '09.

No, VW did a bunch of weird things like making HIDs optional on MKVIs but adding iPod connection to every single one. The 2011s are even more stripped though, the base package for a 2011 GTI doesn't even have a multifunction steering wheel or the touchscreen headunit with SD card support that was standard on 2010s. But all 2011s have 18 inch potato peelers so I guess there's that.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Maybe not entirely the right place to ask, but what's a recommended product for taking care of VW leather seats like the kind in Jettas and GTIs?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

A couple of questions for MK6 owners: I'd like to enable gauge sweep (staging?) and turn my steering wheel voice control button into a mute button. Can Vag-com do this for a 2011 GTI? Where would I find someone with one - should I just ask some local VW shops if they'd do it for me? I don't mind paying for someone to change settings but I'm not really willing to buy a vag-com :/

Autism Monday fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 8, 2011

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

I'd get it but can't really justify $350+ for changing two settings and then never using the cable again.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Motronic posted:

What's wrong with the $50 (and under) cables on eBay?

I didn't even know they were available there. Thanks, I'll check them out.. what's the type I should get though?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Isn't their software free to download?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/current.html

Seems to be a free download now, unless there's something I'm missing.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Bovine Delight posted:

Also: Nobody is comparing it to the GTD. The US market GTI and US market Golf TDI have a very similar suspension. This is a fact.

How or why would the TDI have a sport suspension and not a regular one from a base Golf?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Can anyone explain why VW uses "wheels" to recline the seats instead of levers that allow you to freely position the seat? No idea how many models are like this, but my wife says the rabbit her dad had when she was a kid had them and her 2006 Jetta TDI has them as well so I presume they may be used in most if not all models. I can't think of any upsides to the wheel design and it means that it takes 30 seconds of cranking at an uncomfortable angle to go between normal mode and a comfortable position for a quick nap.
Because a wheel is much better for small adjustments and you don't really ever use it.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Lowclock posted:

Also, you usually you can't adjust height or pitch on non-power seats either, and I've never seen a set of non-power heated seats.

GTI/Golf/Jetta seats are heated and not powered.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Bovine Delight posted:

I imagine because they are selling the TDI as a ~25K car and you can't throw in the base Golf suspension for that price. It certainly is a different suspension than the base Golf.

After digging through VW's site I see that you're correct and the TDI does have a sport suspension checkbox next to it. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as the one in the GTI, but it most likely is the same or at least almost identical.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

The last ones.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Or just find stock A3 sports wheels (the five spokes), they are very similar but better looking and will probably hold up better.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

So is the iPhone app from APR coming at any point or did that whole idea die quietly?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

My MKVI GTI has started making a loud screeching noise when I turn into a parking spot at low speed. It made the noise a few times now over the past few days and it happened whether I turn the wheel to the right or to the left.

Problem is, most of the time I don't hear the car doing anything out of the ordinary.. and both times the noise happened it was when it was raining (not sure how that may affect anything?) I can't seem to replicate it on command, but when it happens it's a really loud screeching noise from the front of the car. Doesn't look like anything is stuck there either.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Hmm I didn't try that actually, but it was only audible during low speed turns. Myabe that was only due to lack of other driving noises of course..

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

I don't see anything in the article you quoted that suggests they are planning on decontenting the Golf. It IS cheaper to build on the MQB platform, but that isn't the interior quality at all.

I hope you aren't talking about the plastic fender flares because those exist on just about every test car ever made.

I think it's fairly safe to say that they will keep decontenting the Golf, especially the lower end models. That doesn't mean that GTIs and GLIs will lose features though, I think VW is actually pretty good at keeping cool stuff in their upper range models.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

This is one of the main reasons I bought my 2011 TDI Golf. The new jetta is a giant pile of poo poo, and as soon as the new GLI starts making its way to dealerships my 04 GLI was going to tank in value. If VW keeps the way they're going this will be my last one.

The "leather" in the new Jetta is seriously one of the worst surfaces I've ever sat on. I don't even know how it's possible to make it so bad.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

No, the regular non-GLI Jettas have a leatherette option too and it's much worse. The GLI seats are same as what the current GTI has I think, which aren't Lexus quality (and aren't all leather) but are not offensive.

edit: it's the "V-Tex leatherette seating surfaces" standard on the SE/SEL (or whatever they're called) Jettas.

Autism Monday fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

I don't think any Jettas have a rear wiper.