Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is it normal for air (temperature varies depending on what I have the knob sitting at) to blow out *very* softly when I haven't turned on the fan? I've noticed that sometimes I have the air on hot, and it's *very* slightly blowing hot air when I haven't engaged the fan; it's annoying, I can live with it, but just wondering if it was normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I currently own an 08' GTI and I've noticed that I seem to use a lot of oil. I think I use a lot of oil because typically when I'm close to my 5,000 mile mark, sometimes my oil pressure light comes on when I make a hard turn. After my hard turn I slow down a bit and the light goes away. At this point in time I typically just add in another quart (sometimes two) into of 5W-40 until my next oil change. But I'm wondering if that's normal for the car or should I take it into the dealer?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I decided that I'm not going to the dealer anymore for my car maintenance. They take a bit too long and they're expensive. Their oil changes take about 8 hours, and the last service I had at 20,000 was about $500. How would I be able to look for a nice place to service my GTI aside from going to Yelp? I'm in the San Francisco area if that helps.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

beejay posted:

Quick question - I have an MKV GTI (2007) and lately it's having a few minor issues that might be related. One is that it has a very small oil leak- about one drop on the garage floor every couple days. Two - when accelerating such as passing someone, I get a puff of visible exhaust, gray. Three - when taking off from stop signs etc, it seems to be a bit "jerky" and not smooth acceleration. It used to accelerate pretty smoothly from a stop. Could these be related and what is causing them? Car is a DSG transmission and has 29k miles. Thanks.

I dont know much about the oil leak but I had a very similar problem with the jerkiness of the car.

I have an 08 DSG GTI and I thought the jerking was "normal". But according to the forums I've read it should be more or less smooth. It happens on and off and it's very hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

Example: I would be on a flat road and when I release my brake the car would "shutter". If I'm reversing without pushing on the gas it would shutter even harder

To make things short, I brought my car to the dealership and they said it was a faulty DSG. Something about the computer chip not doing something correctly. Anyway, they ordered the part and replaced it for free.

Note: It did me about two trips and explaining it to them a few times before they looked into it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

beejay posted:

Was the free replacement under warranty or were they just being nice? I was under the impression anything to do with the DSG was super expensive so that worries me!

It was under the warranty for me. Like veedubfreak mentioned it was that malfunctioning unit and it was pretty common for our DSGs I think. Call up the dealer and ask if they cover it, they should and I would be surprised if they didn't.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I was talking to a friend about how my GTI tends to burn a lot of oil and that it's a pretty common thing among the 08' GTI owners. Sometimes when I make really hard right turns and my oil light would come on. Anyway, I have a real problem forgetting to place a quart of oil in my car every 1,000 miles or so. So my friend suggested that I get an "oil pressure gauge"? I did a small search and there are way too many options and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Does anyone have a suggestion to a good one or if I really even need this thing?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

The gauge isn't going to help your 2.0 from eating oil, whats the point?

I sorta wanted one so I don't forget that I need to add oil into the car and it helps me monitor how much oil I have? Or does that gauge not do that?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Picture 13 of the article makes it look like a luxury car.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I've been adding oil to my 08' GTI every 2k or so and I wanted to get a gauge on my car's oil consumption.

I let me car sit for about five minutes, take out the dip sick, wipe it down, the stick it back in for a measure. Typically, my oil is always on the low end of the sick. I add in one quart, let it sit for five minutes, then dip it back in for a measure. Usually it will be right in the middle at this point.

My question is, is this normal to be adding a quart every 2k? Or should I bring it to the dealer?

On another note, I get my oil changed at a local shop and they always use 5W-40. It seems that my local O'Rileys (the only car shop that I know of) do no carry it readily. Strange enough when they DO carry it, it seems that the label on the oil states that its for "Turbo Diesel Trucks". Dude at the O'Riley says the brand or "what it states on the bottle" do not really matter, "oil is oil" and that the only thing I should really be conserved about is the gravity/weight of the oil.

Any suggestions on the oil? I'm currently using Mobil 1.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

It sounds like this actually since it's 5W-40 Mobil 1 and he mentioned it being for diesel trucks.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

Yup, that is the oil I've been using. It seems like the ONLY oil I can get from O'Riley's thats 5W-40.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have an 08' GTI and I'm trying to run an audio cable from the AUX in my glove box to my cigarette lighter. Is there an easy way to do this? I've been looking around it and there doesn't seem to be an opening for it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ack! So I noticed that my fog light has a cracked lens, so I'm gonna have to replace the whole thing. Would this http://amzn.com/B006B3CDIM be what I would need? It's much cheaper than what I've seen on other sites.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I would like it to be as close to OEM as possible.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 21, 2013

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

So the 40k service on my 2010 GTI is coming up, and the local dedicated performance/racing Audi/Porsche/VW garage wants $150 to change the oil (Mobil 1), filter, and fuel filter in my 2010 GTI. That seems high right?

Uh, is that all they're doing? Because if it is, that's almost double what I paid at the the dealership.

But if they're doing a real tune up, $150 is an amazing price.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I seem to forget every time, but any of you GTI owners out there please remember to check your oil.

I was driving down the freeway, made a *very* sharp turn and all of a sudden my oil pressure indicator went bonkers. It's happened a few time before, before I knew of the oil usage problem. I didn't think much of it since I've only placed 3,000 miles from my last oil change. I went home to add oil in and I added in two quarts for me to hit the "middle" on my dip stick. Almost a quart every 1,500 miles. Oy.

Remember to check your oil often and regularly.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Well that doesn't sound good at all. Unfortunately my warranty expired in 2012. How much would something like that cost out of pocket?

My car is a 2008 GTI it's a 2.0TFSI.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I personally would not buy a car without any service history. But I'm also the type of guy who has had a very bad experience with a used car and decided to buy new.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I'm going to be hitting my 40k in about a week. Got a quote from my mechanic

40K service $150
DSG service $365
Rear brakes $334 (that includes replacing the rotors)
$107 for brake fluid flush (if needed)

If I do the brakes at the same time there is a discount, didn't ask how much though.

I like this guy and wouldn't mind paying a bit extra, but the prices are reasonable yeah?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for new wiper blades for my 08" GTI. I've looked at the Michelin Stealth, Rain-X Latitude and Bosch Icon; none of these have sizes for the back wiper blade. I haven't replaced that thing in 6 years and it's pretty bad. Any idea what size I need? It's 24" for the driver and 19" for the passenger for all three brands.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does the brand of the oil I'm buying really matter that much? I'm putting in about 1QT of Mobil 1 every 1-2K and I recently found some generic rear end Delo brand 5W-40 for $10 cheaper per gallon. I have a GTI MKV and as of late I've been driving a lot.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently switched over to a new mechanic and I wanted some input to see if I got "hosed" or not. The people there seem nice and as far as pricing it seems pretty close to what I've paid before. I have a 2008 GTI and recently it hit ~55k, which from my understanding it should be an oil change. Apparently they did a 60k on it, which essentially is a full tune up. The last tune up on my car I believe was ~30k? I was charged $500ish bucks, which is supposedly normal for a European car. I paid $600 for this tune up (Said my break fluid was dirty as hell).

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Without knowing the full extent of services rendered it'd be hard to tell. What does the invoice detail?

Inspect axel assembly, battery, brakes and fluid, cooling system and coolant, lights, steering and suspension, ties, washer fluid and wipers.

Replace air filter, engine oil and filter, cabin air filter, spark plugs.

Perform brake flush and coolant flush.

Reset all reminders.

Includes all parts for the services above as well.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

Here, an oil change and brake fluid flush run about $90 each. I can see them charging $200+ for spark plugs (though those probably didn't need to be done, yet). I can see a dealer charging north of $500 for all that.

If it was needed, that's a different question.

The air filters and spark plugs are easy to do for like $100 in parts total. You should do them yourself next time.

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to hear, that I didn't get majorly ripped off. I know that I can do some of the stuff myself, but I've been super lazy and the tools aren't something I have. You're right though. I should look into doing the simple stuff.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

Well, you probably didn't need to have some of that work done, but it's in line with what I'd expect a dealer to charge.

The cabin air filter is tool-less. The engine air filter is also tool-less, but a torx driver and/or pair of pliers make it much easier. Spark plugs are a few torx screws and a spark plug socket, but more involved. Oil changes are easy, but dirty and you need a few more tools to do them, so I get people not wanting to deal with it. At the $90 the dealer was charging me, doing it myself is totally worth it.

I guess part of the reason that I like having someone else do it because they typically have a look around the car and can see if anything is wrong with it. I guess I could always do the 5k oil change myself and have them do and "major" tune ups. How would I clear the codes that show up?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

http://i.imgur.com/oOzP2Ow.jpg

What is this part called that I'm missing? Is this piece needed?

Edit: Eh, from min-to-max on the dipstick how much oil is that 1qt?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 21, 2015

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

Yeah, just about.

Thanks!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I was on a road trip and my headlight started to flicker on and off. Eventually my headlight decided to give up and the headlight indicator turned on my dashboard.

I bring my car to my mechanic and he thinks its the headlight controller unit or even the whole headlight is busted. My mechanic fiddles with the controller unit and the headlight turns out to have both a bad HID bulb and controller unit. Unfortunately, the headlight won't turn off, the dashboard light stays on even while the headlight on. My mechanic doesn't seem to know what is going on. I paid him $230 for that diagnostic. This isn't to say I don't trust him, but I don't really want to keep paying for a diagnostic over and over again.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

8ender posted:

What model and make of car? Was the headlight and ballast replaced?

Ah yes. It's a 2008 GTI; the headlight and the ballast was not replaced only the controller unit under the headlight. I assume you're thinking I need to replace the whole headlight?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Turns out that aside from my headlight issue I had earlier (headlight controller module, dead bulb); some other part is broken and my mechanic can not fix it.

Apparently it's some part that needs to be coded and only the dealer can do it. The part is gonna run me about $400, not including the actual labor.

Owning a car is very expensive.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Apparently there was a recall for my MKV's PCV valve. Did they redesign the valve or just replace it with the same one?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What are some "cheap" upgrades I can make to my car? I've had my car for a few years and I think I need to breathe some new life into it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oy! 2008 GTI 2 door.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Catch it up on maintenance and make sure your solenoids/etc are in good working order.

If all that is good, then chipppppp it like the other guy said.

fake edit: Save your cash for when your stupid loving variable air conditioning compressor shits the bed.

Second fake edit: Get your intake valves cleaned (walnut blasted) - the 2.0t loves to build up carbon. That's actually what you should do first.

Heh. The air conditioner actually broke about 4 years in. Covered by Volkswagen thankfully.

My mechanic did suggest that since I'm about to hit 60k. Is there a reason why I should do the walnut blasting as opposed to a chemical one?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Imagined posted:

Just got a used 2014 2.5L Golf (not the TDI or GTI). 6-speed auto. Yay! 33k miles, so the bumper-to-bumper is almost up. Boo. Having never owned a VW or an even semi-sporty car before I don't know if I'm imagining things, but sometimes it feels... jerky? Especially accelerating at low speeds I can feel these little micro-pulses of g-force bumping my head back into the headrest every second or so like it's jerking forward a few feet and then slowing down, but watching the RPMs and speedometer like a hawk while it does this I don't see anything unusual, nor does it sound like it's misfiring or anything. In fact the engine makes a great noise to me. Is this what it's supposed to feel like? Am I imagining it? Is it a thing with MKVII Golfs?

It feels exactly like someone who hasn't driven a car before not being able to gently feather the throttle, which is what I marked it up to the first couple of days and didn't think anything of it until I'd been driving it about five days.

It takes a bit of getting used to. My girlfriend had a bit of difficulty adjusting to my GTI. Also, apparently, the car learns your driving style and should be adjusting appropriately (the dealer told me this, my old mechanic also told me this). Unless it's *really* jerky? Then it might be something to worry about.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oy. So about a month ago I went through a bullshit ordeal with my driver side headlight being busted. Turns out it was the bulb, ballast controller and the headlight controller that was busted. Set me back about 1k with parts and labor.

Now today my passenger side headlight is acting weird. Sometimes the indicator light turns on and it says the "front right dip beam not working". Sometimes the light will be pink/red. Sometimes it's totally normal.

Is it safe to assume that it's the bulb on my passenger side is busted? I'm praying its not the ballast or anything else...

Edit: It's the DRL if that helps.

Uthor posted:

The mechanic said that the transmitter in the key fob isn't working. I asked how much a new key is and he said around $250.

Which made me wonder: the key itself is fine, just the buttons on the remote don't work. Would I be able to buy this for $76, transfer the key half over, and pair it to my car myself?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/ES310872/

It's a hell of a lot better than paying 3x as much!

Apparently, there are some things that only the dealer will have the codes for. As I posted above, I had to go to a dealer because the codes for the controller unit was only possible through Volkswagen. I would give them a call and ask.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 12, 2015

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm sorry. I don't really follow the news and from what I can gather from this thread, VW got caught lying about the emissions their cars produce? What does this mean for VW I'm thinking a super huge fine? What does it mean for someone who owns a VW car within that time frame?

On another note, just out of pure curiosity since I can't find an answer online. I park on a stupid incline all the time. Yesterday I made the mistake of putting the car in P and releasing the foot brake before the emergency brake. So when I tried to put the car back into D I had to use a lot of force to move it from P to D. The car made a loud thud from the front.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Portland has to do something to address this!

Ugh. I guess all those San Franciscians who couldn't afford rent moved up to Portland. I don't even own one of the affected cars but come on.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for a new set of all season tires. I haven't purchased tires in a long time so I need some advice. I live in California, so who knows when it ever going to rain again. But all season tires make more sense to me since I don't foresee myself changing my tires until needed and I make the occasional trip up north where it's actually wet. I'm driving a 2008 GTI. Looking at these here as suggested by my guy at Firestone. I'm primary concerned with safety, longevity, performance and price in that order

Toyo Extensa HP
Potenza RE97AS
Potenza RE970

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Silly question, but what is the benefit of having an APR tune or any stage 1 tune for that matter?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I didn't know this but apparently cold air intakes are illegal in California? Do they make intakes that *are* legal in California?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm about to hit 60k anything I needed to do in terms of maintenance? I recently got the spark plugs, oil and air filters changed out. I'm driving an 08' GTI.