Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

timb posted:

By the way, doing DSG service by hand is pretty easy. You don't even need the fancy fill tool or VAG-COM.

Just measure how much you drain out and put that amount back in. You can even fill it through the DSG filter hole in the top, instead of pumping it in the bottom.

It took me about an hour and costs $100 for the fluid and filter. Dealership wanted $400+Parts.

Edit:

Wal-Mart and Advance Auto both carry Hoppy-Flo funnels which work great for this:

The tip fits perfectly into the filter port:

Did you just remove the filter, drain, measure, fill and then install the new filter? Did you use the snorkel they mention on myturbodiesel?

I just got a 2010 golf tdi and it needs the brake fluid flushed. Seems pretty straight forward from the instructions here and here. Is there anything I should look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Any recommendations for a reasonable all-season tire for a 2010 Golf TDI?

I'm currently leaning towards Continental ExtremeContact DWS as they seem pretty reasonable.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romCompare1=yes

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Am I good following this mk5 diy brake guide on a mk6 2010 Golf TDI?

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40013

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Goetta posted:

My 2009 GTI is about ready for its 40k maintenance which includes DSG service according to the manual. I've been looking around to see what this specifically entails and have found the following so far:

1) The DSG work is pretty expensive on its own ($300-$400)
2) Getting the work done isn't necessary according to various Internet Posters, one of which cited VW of America(?)

Has anyone held off on doing this?

I've never heard anything about skipping the service, but here is a post that explains how to do it yourself. The DSG fluid is like $80. You need a $5 funnel and some metric sockets (~$20 for me). But it is really easy to do.

Here is a longer article about doing it yourself.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

My 2010 Golf TDI has some pretty badly frayed seats. I tried fixing it with no-fray fabric glue and I'm considering burning the loose threads with a lighter. But before that I figured I should see about getting my local dealer to replace the seat covers.

Has anyone heard of VW Dealers replacing the seat covers on out of warranty TDIs? It's more or less a known defect, so it seems to me like being out of warranty shouldn't matter.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Phuzun posted:

An upholster would be able to do that, call up a body shop if you need local recommendations. The dealer will likely take your money and out source it anyways.

Oh I meant replacing them for free. They apparently do it for VWs still under warranty and I was hoping I might have a shot at getting them to do it after the warranty expired.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

2011+, I think. So the savings on used wouldn't really be amazing.

CW Carefree Maintenance is 3 years or 36k miles on 09-13 models.

Also you can just ask for receipts.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Going that new, I'd just buy new. So far my 11 Golf TDI has been great. The newer the car, in theory the less likely to have the HPFP grenade on you too.

Resale on TDIs is huge, so you won't really end up saving much on a 1-2 year old car anyway.

I bought my 2010 Golf TDI last October for $18k in Ohio. The market will be different where he is, but that's still ~$7k cheaper than a new TDI.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

My 2010 tdi wont start. Probably a combination of it being 4 degrees out today and the car sitting for 10 days.

It cranks and the indicator lights flash but doesnt start. That makes me worry its not the battery. It had a full fuel tank with fuel additive while it sat.

Im borrowing jumper cables to try to jump it. Any suggestions if that dont work?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

Look up iced over intercooler on TDIClub. It is not good. Hope its a battery issue.

poo poo, now I'm paranoid about trying again since I could cause a lot of damage.

I'm thinking I will try to jump it once and if that doesn't work I will have to get it towed to my mechanic.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Jumping it didn't work.

Should I jack it up and drain the intercooler hose or just have it towed to the dealer?

Draining the hose seems pretty easy - http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/cr-cold-weather-inspection-intercooler-icing.3350/

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

I'd tow it to the dealer. You're under the 60k powertrain?

Yeah I am. It's getting towed to the dealer today. We will have to see what they say.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

Hey WK4F, what happened with the TDI?

AAA was able to get it to start. When I tried to jump it I couldn't get a good connection on the jumper car battery due to the plastic crap they put on it.

Seriously though all that stuff about hydrolocked intercoolers made me really paranoid.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

So my 2010 TDI Golf is throwing a "P0472 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor Low" code. I haven't noticed any decreased mileage or anything else, which makes me think it's the sensor. Should I just order a new G450 sensor? It sounds like it's easy to swap out, but I can't find any walk through or guide.

Also, it's been taking longer to start, so I asked autozone to do a battery check. Apparently the battery is fine but the starter failed and was pulling 36 amps. Can I trust autozone's amp reading?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Did you replace the DSG transmission fluid already?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

That's part of the 40k service, right?

Yeah it is. I got it mixed up with the brake fluid schedule, which VW does recommend changing every 2 years. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

My 2010 Golf TDI keeps telling me to check my license plates lights, but they are working. Should I try replacing the fuse and see if that fixes it?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

No. 6 posted:

Are you using incandescent bulbs, or LED bulbs?

Incandescent. I read about having to disable the warning if you use aftermarket LED bulbs, but nothing about a false positive if you are using incandescent.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I'm getting error P2271 from my O2 sensor on my 2010 Golf TDI, and the engine update didn't fix it.

I found this DIY guide to replace the 2nd Oxygen sensor.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?990129-DIY-Replacing-oxygen-sensors

Should I go ahead and do it? And why can't I find a cheap oxygen sensor?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

FYI these O2 sensor codes are very frequently caused by something other than the sensor. Have you taken it to a shop at all? You could have something like an exhaust leak.

I'll give my local guy a call and see if he can take a look at it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I read that a class actin was filed in CA over this yesterday. I'm really bummed about it. We've got a 2014 TDI jetta that we've loved. I'm not exactly happy with the "don't ever get it updated" angle as driving something that pollutes that bad would grate on me in a bad way.

loving hell VW, I really liked that car. :smith:

How bad is the pollution without the update? Is it just the EPA being overzealous compared to the EU? Or is it putting out some really bad stuff?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I'm wondering what the likely payout from a class action lawsuit would be. The Honda excessive oil burning class action lawsuit from 2014 reportedly netted less than $300 a person. I'm trying to find info from the GM ignition lawsuit, but that one's hard because some people died or were injured so the payout varies. The max for small claims court in my county is $3,000. So I wonder if I should just take VW to small claims court instead of rolling the dice with a class action lawsuit.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

My 2010 Golf TDI needs a new battery. Any suggestions or should I just stop by Autozone and get whatever fits?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Get an AGM of some sort. The extra cranking power, especially as winter rolls around, is worth it

Thanks. I was already looking to get one of the higher cracking amps batteries, and those are mostly AGM it looks like.

Also, here's a good article about how Europe's bet on Diesel was a mistake.

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/15/9541789/volkswagen-europe-diesel-pollution

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Couldn't everyone just take VW to small claims court?

The dollar limit in most states would cover your damages.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/small-claims-suits-how-much-30031.html

What would happen if a couple thousand VW enthusiasts took VW to small claims court all over the country?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

VW would loving dance in the streets if all that came of this was having to pay a few million in damages to small claims settlements that they didn't even bother to send a lawyer to.

edit: which is the whole point of class action suits in the first place. It creates a situation where companies can be held liable for loving up and/or screwing customers in a way that isn't dependent upon the customer having the resources (even if that's just having time to go down to small claims court) or inclination to file a suit. Otherwise the math would lean pretty heavily in favor of doing whatever the gently caress and just paying off the small percentage of people who actually have the lawyers and money to file a real suit, and digging in your pockets for change to throw to the people who can only afford small claims but are still stubborn enough to go through with it.

It's not like the class action lawsuits would go away just because a bunch of people sued in small claims court. If I thought that VW owed me $20 I would probably just join the class action suit. I would do the same if I was claiming $1m in damages as I don't have the money to fight a big case like that. But $1,000 to $3,000 seems like it might be a sweet spot where it makes sense to go to small claims court.

Also do you really think VW wouldn't send anyone to fight in small claims court?

I'm hoping that myturbodiesel or another forum will add a new FAQ called "How to sue VW" and I can just print that off.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Really not appropriate, regardless.

Do you think maybe VW would let me swap my 2010 TDI for one of those?

Probably better for the environment as well.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I scheduled my 80k service at a nearby dealer that had pretty good reviews so I could use my $500 GC. Dropped it off late at night Friday for the work to be done Saturday. Called at 2:30PM to check in since I hadn't heard anything - the service department had already closed and I could only talk to sales who were useless. I probably should've called Saturday morning, but right now I have no idea if they did the work or not and they don't open until 7AM Monday. This is definitely worse than any emissions scandal.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

IANAL but if KBB value is down X, it seems like it would be pretty easy to argue that VW's deception and law breaking resulted in damages of X to you the owner.

I figure I will probably end up going to small claims court, so I'm trying to get as much ammo as I can.

veedubfreak posted:

Yes they lost resale value, no they did not lose insured value if some shithead totals it.

I believe most insurance companies charge extra if you want replacement coverage instead of actual cash value. I know I have actual cash value coverage.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

This will only end in tears and costly lawyers fees for you.

You think VW is going to send someone to fight me over $3k in damages? I bet they settle before I step into the courtroom.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/blog/can-i-still-file-a-lawsuit-if-theres-already-a-settlement.html

No, they won't. What will happen in VW and the Courts will come back and say "Well, is your car covered by this class action? Then you need to go talk to the lawyers running that settlement" and your individual case will get dismissed because the terms you are suing about are covered in a class action already.

Suing over loss of value? That's in the class action
Suing over resale losses? Class action.

Nearly every case is being covered in the already pending class action. And he has to purposefully contact the lawyers and say "I do NOT wish to be part of this class action suit as I intend to seek my own settlement", even then chances are VWs lawyers would just point you back to the ongoing case.

That link is talking about trying to file a lawsuit when you haven't opted out of the class action suit.

I've only done a little bit of research because it's way too soon for me to do anything, but I haven't seen anything about judges dismissing a case just because there's a pending class action lawsuit that I could join.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

People that are planning on going in on the class action suit - any specific reason why you wouldn't take VW to small claims court?

As I've already mentioned, I'm planning on doing small claims court, but I don't want to make the wrong choice and lose money.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I haven't had any DSG issues with my 2010 Golf TDI. I'm at 87k miles, had it since 45k. I changed the DSG fluid myself at 46k and then used the dealer GC to have it changed at 85k.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

More reports about the VW settlement

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-23/vw-said-to-pay-diesel-owners-up-to-7-000-fund-clean-air-grants

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Looking at the numbers I will probably turn in my 2010 Golf TDI. Now I just gotta figure out what to get to replace it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I was curious how much NOx I'm putting out and whether I would be able to sleep at night if I were to get the fix and then get my car tuned.

EPA Permissible level : 70mg
10x estimate: 700mg
40x estimate: 2800mg

Average in use US passenger vehicle: 700mg
Average heavy duty pickup or delivery trucks: 2700-3300mg
Average diesel semi: 9000mg

Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-vw-pollution-footprint-20151007-htmlstory.html

Not that bad really, especially considering that 10-40x was the max that regulators found. So it could be that 95% of the time your diesel is under 70mg. I think I will still do the buyback, but I don't think I could really judge someone that decided to get the fix and then tune their car.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Elotana posted:

I'm going to come out about 2k ahead on my '09 Jetta (bought used in '13)

Not bad

I paid $18.5k for my 2010 TDI in October 2012 and they are offering like $16.5k.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Powershift posted:

40x is pretty bad though, 2800mg out of what, a 2 liter engine? the 7.3 powerstroke with no cat, no EGR, no emissions equipment at all is at 5972mg, Chipping it up 115hp and 205ft/lbs only increases that to 6268mg.

I think the VW 10-40x numbers are the peak, and I think the rest are averages.

Though I just realized that if the fix is to install the adblue stuff you might be able to keep your mileage and acceleration without a tune.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I did see something about VW having like 3 months to arrange drop off at a local dealer once you sign on the dotted line.

I guess I will fill out the paperwork, buy a new car and park my VW on the street until they contact me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

My 2010 Golf TDI is throwing a P0401 code for Insufficient EGR flow. I haven't noticed any change in MPG or how it runs. Are there any easy fixes I can try? I would rather not spend any money on parts since I'm looking to sell it back to VW soon.