Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Here's 13 minutes of Drakengard 3 gameplay

Warning, blurry-rear end nico recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
We need some decent gameplay videos without lovely recording.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
It's a recording of a nicolive stream, what were people expecting.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Heres something about the way Taro goes about creating Nier and Drakengard.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/13/learn-how-to-write-stories-the-nier-and-drakengard-way/

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

That was surprisingly humane. Did Taro or the translator omit steps?

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Level Slide posted:

That was surprisingly humane. Did Taro or the translator omit steps?

Going by the explanation as it is, I'd guess that Taro's idea of "humorous events" is a bit, uh, unusual.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Monomythian posted:

Heres something about the way Taro goes about creating Nier and Drakengard.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/13/learn-how-to-write-stories-the-nier-and-drakengard-way/

So where do demon babies fit in here?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I've definitely noticed the "constantly ramp things up" aspect to his storytelling, but he omitted the "surprise punch to the balls at the end of it all".

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cthulhuchan posted:

I've definitely noticed the "constantly ramp things up" aspect to his storytelling, but he omitted the "surprise punch to the balls at the end of it all".

And the massive, massive amounts of cocaine. The fact the man is a goddamn Sith Lord should be considered as well.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Screaming Idiot posted:

And the massive, massive amounts of cocaine.

And the massive making GBS threads on a child or children's life.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Caim and Angelus twitter icons.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

So as mentioned before, weapon stories are back in Drakengard 3! I'm sure you've all been going through withdrawal since Nier, so here's a preview (go here for pictures to accompany the captions: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/712/712145/index-2.html):

Widow's Guilt (Chakra)

LVL1:
Once upon a time, there were three children who often played together, two boys and a girl.
One of the boys became an apprentice gardener, the other a military officer.
As for the girl, she grew up to become quite beautiful indeed.

LVL2:
One day the girl's father passed away, and to keep her family from descending into poverty, she was hastily engaged to be married.
Her husband was to be her old childhood friend, the officer.
But the day after the two were wed, he was summoned to the front lines.

LVL3:
Promising her he'd return the next morning, he left with a smile. It would be the first and last time the girl ever saw it.
Having become a widow in the span of a single night, all the girl could do was gaze at the window.
Her only comfort was in the beautiful garden her husband had left behind.

LVL4:
The girl's heart was eased by the garden, the plants and flowers within which would change with every season.
The one responsible for maintaining it was her other childhood friend, the apprentice gardener, but the girl fell ill and died before ever finding out.

Blossom of the Pilgrim (Fists)

LVL1:
In a poor village located in a rocky expanse, there lived a devoted nun.
Her deep, silent prayers soothed the souls of the villagers which had been ravaged by hardship.
To them, the prayers were not unlike beautiful blossoms, blooming within their hearts.

LVL2:
One day the village was struck by a mysterious plague.
It caused the bodies of those infected to slowly turn black, and the victims could only suffer in agony before death granted them respite.
While the nun kept praying, the plague only continued to spread.

LVL3:
But as the nun prayed, flowers began growing from the corpses of those who had perished.
As more and more died, the flowers increased in number, and soon their fragrant scent completely masked that of the rotting town.

LVL 4:
No one knows what happened after that.
But it's said that in the place the village once was, the countless blossoms continue blooming in abandon, no matter the season.

dazat fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 19, 2013

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Those stories are FAR too cheerful.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

dazat posted:

LVL4:
The girl's heart was eased by the garden, the plants and flowers within which would change with every season.
The one responsible for maintaining it was her other childhood friend, the apprentice gardener, but the girl fell ill and died before ever finding out.

I think this is my favorite one.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

The stories don't even have anything to do with the weapons anymore!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Superstring posted:

The stories don't even have anything to do with the weapons anymore!

When did they?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Sometimes they mentioned the weapon. This happened more in Drakengard than Nier, though.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

dazat posted:

LVL2:
One day the village was struck by a mysterious plague.
It caused the bodies of those infected to slowly turn black, and the victims could only suffer in agony before death granted them respite.
While the nun kept praying, the plague only continued to spread.

(emphasis mine)

Black Scrawl reference? :tinfoil:

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

New trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-FAQl81Esc#t=18

I've translated the dialogue:

One: What the hell do you know?!
You destroy our peace, slaughter your own flesh and blood...
And now you tell me... you're telling me that was all so you could save the world, alone?!

Zero: Mikhail.
Mikhail: Yes?
Zero: It's about time...
Mikhail: ...okay.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

dazat posted:

New trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-FAQl81Esc#t=18

I've translated the dialogue:

One: What the hell do you know?!
You destroy our peace, slaughter your own flesh and blood...
And now you tell me... you're telling me that was all so you could save the world, alone?!

Zero: Mikhail.
Mikhail: Yes?
Zero: It's about time...
Mikhail: ...okay.

Thanks for translating but the video was taken down. Here's a niconico link but you'll need an account to view it: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21876033

The idea of hearing Mikhail's voice in the middle of the most ridiculous violence and horror is growing on me.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Does anyone know if this game will have a central hub and a world to explore like Nier or if it's a more linear game like the old Drakengard games?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's like they know what we do to The Dark Id's avatar when he plays these games. :tinfoil:

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

The trailer has been reuploaded here for anyone who missed it/don't have a nico account: http://rologeass.tumblr.com/post/61838500897/drakengard-3-trailer-2-reupload-bgm-composed-by

Here are some of my thoughts on it:
Each scene shows what looks like each sister going out of control; I wonder if the Songstresses don't have some kind of dormant destructive aspect which is what is making Zero hunt them all down (maybe they're getting possessed by the Watchers?). It was speculated that maybe they just didn't care, but all the Apostles seem pretty upset about what's happening, so there must be a good reason why they still join up with Zero after that.

It seems like at least Zero believes she's doing what she has to to save the world. That scene at the end with her talking to Mikhail... seems kind of ominous, though. :(

There's also some more (low-qual) gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca2MG-OxYsw
It's too blurry for me to make out much dialogue, but this exchange stood out to me while I was watching.

Decad: Urgh!
Zero: Decad, are you hurt?
Decad: N-no... sand got in my eyes... t-the pain, it's... ahh, I can hardly stand it...
Zero: Seems like you're doing just fine.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_vsfJV8pAs

Square-Enix put out a high quality HD version of the Tokyo Game Show trailer.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I can't wait for December!

Speaking of which, I believe today is the deadline for ordering the Memorial Box!
Here's where I got mine: http://www.nin-nin-game.com/japanese-import-playstation-3-brand-new-softs/7476-drag-on-dragoon-10th-anniversary-box-ps3-en.html

Although for those of you who don't want to lay down $200+, rest assured when I receive mine I will share the music/videos/scans and translations with all y'all. :)

Edit: Some additional info for those importing the game, the strategy guide is to go on sale on December 19th and is (apparently) confirmed to include a download code for a Caim costume.

dazat fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 24, 2013

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

dazat posted:

Edit: Some additional info for those importing the game, the strategy guide is to go on sale on December 19th and is (apparently) confirmed to include a download code for a Caim costume.

Zero's One's gonna rock the crocs! :w00t:

I get the names confused. :saddowns:

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 24, 2013

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_vsfJV8pAs

Square-Enix put out a high quality HD version of the Tokyo Game Show trailer.

Uhhh am I the only seeing a bunch of ruined skyscrapers during the 'One' part? :ohdear:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

No.44 posted:

Uhhh am I the only seeing a bunch of ruined skyscrapers during the 'One' part? :ohdear:

Sure looks like it. Guess that's One's dragon because of course she has one, and didn't notice before that the other sisters are there too. :iiam:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Maybe this game is retconning 2 and its Nier's world starting to influence Drakengard's? That Red plague could be their version of the White Death.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 25, 2013

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

There were already ruined modern-looking buildings in Drakengard. Example:

(from here)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Turns out Nier is actually a prequel to Drakengard, and Ending E was Caim time traveling to the past.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Another thing that bothers me about this trailer:

While One is shouting at Zero for murdering their sisters, Zero doesn't have that evil flower thing growing out of her eye. But we can see that she does have it when she is talking to Mikhail in what appears to be a scene near the end of the game.

Do you think that maybe she already killed her sisters (with maybe the exception of One) before the game takes place, and the ones she's fighting throughout the game are replicants of some sort?. It would explain why they seem to be in attendance for the confrontation with One; it's actually a flashback. If the boss battles start with Five and end with One, than Zero would've obviously murdered the others before she reached One.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Genocyber posted:

Turns out Nier is actually a prequel to Drakengard, and Ending E was Caim time traveling to the past.
This would be the best retcon ever. Hell, this would be the best plot point of any kind ever, especially if they were careful to note that this means that magic came from nowhere so everyone died in a time loop for no reason, etc, with heavy emphasis on bleak pointlessness.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Square-Enix America has just registered DrakengardGame.com.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Localization confirmed. There's no way it's going to be anything else, not with this timing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Megalixir posted:

Localization confirmed. There's no way it's going to be anything else, not with this timing.

"Square-Enix has announced the Drakengard cellphone game for release in non-EU territories!"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Here's a slightly better quality version of the 13 minute gameplay video. It's on nicovideo so you have to have an account or log in with facebook to view it, but that shouldn't be too big a problem.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Or you can just use the redirector.

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 1, 2013

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Who wants more weapon stories?!

Death Knell (Spear)

LVL1
This is the story of a spear. One that made its way into one man's hands.
The man didn't know that this meant the end of his life was near.
But the spear knew. The spear knew he would soon be dead.

LVL2
The man adored the beautiful sound the spear made as he swung it.
The spear sang to him. Sang to him of his end.
And soon enough he would draw his last breath, as his beloved spear's voice rang throughout the battlefield surrounding him.

LVL3
This is a story of an end. The end of one man's life.
Beside the man's corpse, gone cold, was the spear, lamenting the death of another owner…
Its 568th, to be exact.

LVL4
The spear awaits its next owner. It awaits the day it might sing again for one doomed.
The spear, which has in its eternal life seen the end of so many… it waits.

Ironcluster (Sword) (I believe this sword was also in the original Drakengard)

LVL1
Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron
The cluster of iron tempers himself. On the battlefield, hardness is strength.
Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron Iron

LVL2
Death Death Death Death Death Death Death Death Death Death
The cluster of iron scatters death all over. For that is the reason he exists.
Death Death Death Death Death Death Death Death Death Death

LVL3
Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh
The cluster of iron cuts through flesh. By doing so he thought his wish might be granted.
Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh Flesh

LVL4
Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood
The cluster of iron cries tears of blood. Because he knows will never again be human.
Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood Blood

dazat fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Here's hoping we get an even bigger version of hymir's finger.

• Locked thread