Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

NIV3K posted:

So, can someone explain how Cultivation works? Yonah asked for Wheat, so I planted a Wheat Seedling and its been a few hours and no change. How long is this supposed to take? And are there Quests or something tied to growing things? Should I be growing something specific, like is there a cash crop in this game?
To actually answer the questions here:

Gardening happens in real-time (although, as noted, it's tied to the system clock so it's easy to abuse). Crops take about eighteen hours to mature, and die after about forty-eight hours from initial planting. Most crops have to be harvested before death, although if you plant flowers you can either harvest the flowers themselves, or let them die and harvest a handful of seeds to plant more flowers.

The only reason you ever have to plant flowers is for a particular trophy (which takes hours) or a particular sidequest (which takes hours), and involves crazy flower hybridization charts and unless your OCD is singing for you to get 100% just gently caress it, it's not worth the frustration.

But gardening isn't entirely useless. Other than the Yonah sidequests (which are adorable), there is a cash crop in the form of rice: a full garden is worth about 30,000 gold. Use the clock trick a couple of times and in about fifteen minutes you can be set for the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
So from a quick googling it seems like the Quest percentage should be at 51% before you advance from Part 1 to Part 2. I didn't want to look to hard for confirmation though for fear of getting something spoiled, so could someone confirm or correct that number?

I'm currently at 48% after rounding up the most recent wave of Side Quests after completing the Barren Temple. So far they have been pretty simple and not nearly as bad as I was expecting based upon what people in this thread were saying. I mean, I now know that things like the last Cultivating quest are awful, but are there any other ones like that in Part 2? Maybe I've just been abused by Tales games for too long with regards to awful quests to find Nier's that bad?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

NIV3K posted:

So from a quick googling it seems like the Quest percentage should be at 51% before you advance from Part 1 to Part 2. I didn't want to look to hard for confirmation though for fear of getting something spoiled, so could someone confirm or correct that number?

I'm currently at 48% after rounding up the most recent wave of Side Quests after completing the Barren Temple. So far they have been pretty simple and not nearly as bad as I was expecting based upon what people in this thread were saying. I mean, I now know that things like the last Cultivating quest are awful, but are there any other ones like that in Part 2? Maybe I've just been abused by Tales games for too long with regards to awful quests to find Nier's that bad?

First: yes, 51%. There's one notably tricky one to find that requires you to talk to a guy near the lighthouse, leave, talk to him again, leave, and then talk to him again to get.

Second: Life in the Sands.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You haven't gotten to the awful quests yet.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

You haven't gotten to the awful quests yet.

Oh joy. And I got to 51%, so I guess I should go full steam ahead with the plot now. Also, I got a Word whose effect is Level2 (Besi). What does this do exactly? Also also, do weapons change appearance as you level them up like in Drakengard? It doesn't seem like it so far based on the two times I've done it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They do, but a lot of the crappy first half swords are hard to tell.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Nier just turned into a text adventure. Wow. I knew this game supposedly tried to be a lot of genres in one game, but I did not see this coming at all.

I like it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Policenaut posted:

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Nier should have started with Young Brother and ended with Old Father instead of doing the 2-game deal.

That... would have been pretty interesting and bold. I like it.

Also, the fact this thread still exists makes me smile.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Is there any reason to be using anything other than Beastbain at this point? I bought it really early on and it's stronger than everything. Also, it doesn't seem like the Weapon's weight has any effect on anything. So it seems like there is no reason to use any of the weaker swords.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
One-handed swords are great for combos and bouncing around with the dodge roll like a jackass while you progressively swing faster as Nier builds up momentum from his combo until you're basically a blender.

Two-handed swords would be the "slow but powerful" class if you couldn't just dodge roll out of any attack. You can jump, hit Heavy Attack, land the hit, and dodge roll immediately. You can do the same thing with one-handed swords, but it's much more satisfying with the gently caress-huge sword that can clip through the ground while you just stand there. Hit Heavy Attack on the ground while surrounded for a laugh!

Spears have that thrusting attack that murders everything and that's all they really need but that poo poo is boring to me and the normal combo is pretty pathetic.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There is at least one area where you can get some ridiculous speed with the greatswords and it's loving hilarious to watch.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I guess I wasn't really clear. I'm still in the first half of the game, so I only have access to one handed swords right now. My question was is there any reason to use anything less than the weapon with the highest damage number? Because they all seem to have the same exact speed and impact, so the only noticeable difference is how much damage they deal and how much they effect magic.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Oh, in that case go with bigger numbers all the time because weight means nothing in this game.

Edit: I mean, once you get to a high enough level, weapon selection will mean jack-poo poo because you'll be so naturally strong.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I want to say weight actually affected Guard Crush chance instead of swinging speed, but yeah, there's really no reason to not just use the most powerful thing you've got except for maybe aesthetics.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

So how exactly do you do Life in the Sands? I know that the pay off isn't worth it, but I'm going for 100% and I have no qualms with messing with my PS3s internal clock.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NIV3K posted:

Nier just turned into a text adventure. Wow. I knew this game supposedly tried to be a lot of genres in one game, but I did not see this coming at all.

I like it.

Haha I forgot that part, I loved it first time around. Yeah it really seems like a crazy Japanese indie game that they managed to give some sort of budget.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

NIV3K posted:

So how exactly do you do Life in the Sands? I know that the pay off isn't worth it, but I'm going for 100% and I have no qualms with messing with my PS3s internal clock.
Oh boy.

Grab a bunch of seeds from all three Moonflower colors (Gold, Blue, and Red). The stupid part of this is that you're going to have to do something the game never tells you about and you have no way of anticipating: flower hybridization.

By planting certain colors of flowers next to each other (alternating along the rows -- for instance, Gold-Blue-Gold-Blue-Gold), there is a chance that the flowers will cross-polinate, and when you go to pick them they'll yield a different color. For the above, for instance, you'll probably just get a bunch of Gold and Blue Moonflowers, but there's a chance per-plant that instead you'll get Indigo Moonflowers instead.

Now, if you let the plants die (move the clock ahead two days, IIRC), instead of getting flowers, you'll get dead plants, from which you can gather seeds. The seeds you gather are the same color as the flower they came from, a few seeds from each plant. These seeds can then in turn be used to make more flowers... or, more importantly, more seeds.

All this said, to get Pink Moonflowers, you'll need to first hybridize Indigo Moonflowers, then cross-pollinate them with Red Moonflowers.

As said, Gold/Blue will hybridize to Indigo, so your first field should look like this:

Gold - Blue - Gold - Blue - Gold
or
Blue - Gold - Blue - Gold - Blue

Doesn't really matter which order, but you should plant them in order (as opposed to planting all of one color, then the other). Flower yields are determined the instant the seeds are in the ground, so if you plant a flower with nothing next to it, you're just guaranteeing you'll get the same flower color. When you're planting next to a different color, though, you wind up with a chance (about 20%, I think) of getting the hybrid color.

Do this to your entire field and shove your clock ahead two days. When you go back into the game, all the flowers should be dead and you'll be able to grab their seeds. With luck, at least a couple of plots will give you Indigo seeds.

Once you have those, plant them alongside Red flowers in the same alternating pattern. If you need more... plant them anyway and do the clock trick to harvest the seeds. You might get lucky and get the Pink seeds right away, but even if not, you'll get back more seeds than you initially planted. Once you get the ball rolling, you basically have infinite resources, so it's just a matter of repetition until you get lucky.

Eventually, you'll get a plot of Pink Moonflower Seeds. If you don't get enough of those, just do the same thing; plant the seeds, kill the plants, grab the remains.

Best of luck. It's about a 5% chance of getting Pink seeds once you get to that step, so there's no small amount of tedium involved.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And since you've come that far you might as well make some white ones :unsmigghh:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

NonsenseWords posted:

Best of luck. It's about a 5% chance of getting Pink seeds once you get to that step, so there's no small amount of tedium involved.

That is incredibly bullshit. What psychopath decided to do that?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ratoslov posted:

You're new to Cavia games, aren't you? Thankfully, you can still enjoy Nier without ever having to touch the bad sidequests.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ratoslov posted:

White ones are even more involved and you need one for an achievement. They're also the biggest cash crop.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

White ones are even more involved and you need one for an achievement. They're also the biggest cash crop.

In a game where currency is all but useless.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

NIV3K posted:

Is there any reason to be using anything other than Beastbain at this point? I bought it really early on and it's stronger than everything. Also, it doesn't seem like the Weapon's weight has any effect on anything. So it seems like there is no reason to use any of the weaker swords.

I used Beastbain for the entire game, your magic gets ludicrously powerful when you upgrade it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cephalocidal posted:

In a game where currency is all but useless.

Well, it's the fastest way if you want to upgrade all the weapons or go for the Man of Means cheeve.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

What do you keep between playthroughs? I know you keep weapons, but do you keep all the weapon upgrades? What about all of your items and money? Does your level restart and do they take away all your spells? What about all the words you've collected?

Trying to figure out if I should try to get the White Moonflower seeds now that I've finished Life in the Sands (thanks for the help guys, and it really wasn't that bad if you have it clearly laid out for you how to accomplish it). If my items carry over, then I'll just leave it for the next playthrough.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

NIV3K posted:

What do you keep between playthroughs? I know you keep weapons, but do you keep all the weapon upgrades? What about all of your items and money? Does your level restart and do they take away all your spells? What about all the words you've collected?

You keep pretty much everything. As a result, everything will die faster than before.
Edit: You'll need to put your words back into your stuff once you start up again, though, so look out.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

A Bystander posted:

You keep pretty much everything. As a result, everything will die faster than before.
Edit: You'll need to put your words back into your stuff once you start up again, though, so look out.

Awesome! And is there not a trophy for doing 100% of all the quests? Because I just finished them and nothing happened. Did I just get trolled by Cavia?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Not reading the trophy list is your own fault. :colbert:

There is one after a certain percentage of quests, but not for 100%.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

NIV3K posted:

Awesome! And is there not a trophy for doing 100% of all the quests? Because I just finished them and nothing happened. Did I just get trolled by Cavia?

There isn't, probably because some quests are impossible to complete after the mid-game part has crossed.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

NIV3K posted:

Completing all of the quests is its own reward. The reward is wasted time.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

So, beat the first playthrough. I entirely forgot to read the Gestalt Documents when they gave them to me. Will they give me those again when I reach that point again? Also, is there any specific places that are new besides the Kaine Dream Segments in the second playthrough, or can I just skip most cutscenes to get to the new ending (I guess this question also applies for the Third Playthrough when I get there)? Also, is there anything new to do in these subsequent playthroughs? I did all the quests and have all the weapons. I could supposedly upgrade all the weapons, but I'm not going to bother with that. Besides that is there anything else left to do outside of getting various Achievements?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
If I remember right, you probably won't want to skip the cut scenes. They give you the documents again but there really isn't all that much revealed in them, best bet is to finish up completely then check the supplemental materials in the Dark Id's lets play.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
Most of the cutscenes have new content in the second playthrough (except for I think the forest, but I might be wrong), so don't skip them. Subsequent playthroughs, however, don't add anything new before the final boss so you can safely skip everything when going for endings C/D. There are no new sidequests or anything, but you can finish up anything you didn't complete the first time around.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

With regards to ending D:

Do I need to do a fourth playthrough, or can I just load up my save from Ending C and choose the second option? Also, when they say it deletes your file, does it delete all of your files or just the one you last loaded? Would I be able to get around this by saving my file to PSN cloud storage, or is the only way to prevent it saving a copy to a thumb drive? I only ask because at the moment I can't be bothered to get all the achievements, but I want to make it as easy as possible if I ever decide in the future to come back to this game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

NIV3K posted:

Do I need to do a fourth playthrough, or can I just load up my save from Ending C and choose the second option? Also, when they say it deletes your file, does it delete all of your files or just the one you last loaded? Would I be able to get around this by saving my file to PSN cloud storage, or is the only way to prevent it saving a copy to a thumb drive? I only ask because at the moment I can't be bothered to get all the achievements, but I want to make it as easy as possible if I ever decide in the future to come back to this game.

Yeah, you can save it to a thumb drive or upload it to the PSN cloud. It's not a locked save.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

NIV3K posted:

Do I need to do a fourth playthrough, or can I just load up my save from Ending C and choose the second option?

You're fine to just load your Ending C save and pick the other option.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I just played the game for the first time, and I have one question.

What was going on? :psyduck:

I assume everything is terrible is basically the summary because of what the Shades were saying in the second playthrough?

I played Drakengard and it doesn't seem like the ending is as horrible as I'd have expected, so I assume I missed something?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 13, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Keep playing, you don't have a clue til the B ending.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Keep playing, you don't have a clue til the B ending.

I've played a fair amount of B but my last point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
"It gets worse" was basically the mantra my friends and I had when playing through this game. It's not so bad at first but once you put some thought into what exactly just happened (and read some of the background material), suddenly the ending feels really terrible to deal with.

Do you have all the weapons in your possession? It's what you need for the last two endings.

• Locked thread