Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Pretty solid game. Do not play it on Hard however, it's the bad kind of hard where enemies have massive HP and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Is there more to the quest with the lighthouse lady? I did the initial introduction quest in the first half of the game, but when I came back to Seaside in part 2 some people were saying she left and other people were saying she was dead. Plus the Mermaid Tear quest had a resolution option to "bury it next to her grave." Did I miss some stuff? You guys were going on a lot about how awesome that particular line was...

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Just got ending A. Pretty interesting game overall, if very weird. I'm happy I checked it out in the end though, but I do hope that I'll get more backstory on Weiss and Noir in the second playthrough.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Anyone have the lyrics transcribed for the ending song sitting around somewhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWlCK11qEBg&feature=PlayList&p=99F110C8257BC884&playnext_from=PL&index=21&playnext=5

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

So not to turn this into a Drakengard thread, but I never actually played those games because I heard they were quite sub-par. Should I actually look into finding a copy of them to play through?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Just finished Ending B. I'm really satisfied with my experience with this game, flaws and all. The fact that I can only recommend the game to friends with many caveats makes me sad, as what they do well here they do *really* well. I ended up watching ending C and D on youtube, though in retrospect since I didn't know how close I was to finding all of the weapons I somewhat regret it. Maybe I'll spend the last three hours necessary to get those final endings myself; I was really moved by them.

Any word on how this game is selling? I don't know how easy it'd be to make another game in this setting, but I'd love to see Cavia make more games like this. We need more like this.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I couldn't find a transcription of it anywhere, so I thought I'd write out the lyrics to the only english song in the game, Ashes of Dreams (the credits song). Enjoy!

Ashes of Dreams posted:

Once there were trees full of birds
Meadowlands vibrant with flowers
Carefree the songs
Our children once sang
Gilding our minutes and hours

Clouds came and covered the sun
The breath of a baleful unease
Turning to ashes
Flowers in their fields
Silenced the birds in the trees

Hidden so deep in veils of deceit
Imprisoned in twisting spells
Are we the plaything that feeds
On merely the dreams
That we're telling ourselves
Telling ourselves

Strive til the phantoms are broken
Fight til the battle is done
The squadrons of night
Can't conquer the day
No shadows extinguish the sun

Stories of danger fearless attack
Spectres of blade and pain
All of these gusts of our world
Delusions come back
And we haunt it again
Haunt it again

For the storms are over and passed
Though the thunders rage it's quiet and at last
While this nightmares laid me down in the rags here tonight
Here tonight

The night has left this cleared(?) filled with grief
As we strive to keep alive our belief
That a loss so great it clouds all our hopes
For the dawn

Hidden so deep in veils of deceit
Imprisoned in twisting spells
Are we the plaything that feeds
On merely the dreams
That we're telling ourselves
Telling ourselves

Our stories of danger, fearless attack
Spectres of Blade and Pain
All of these gusts of our own delusions are back
That we've been fighting in vain
Fighting in vain

I don't think it's a perfect transcription as there were a few things that I couldn't hear properly, but I think it's fairly close.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah if a brother cared about his sister to this degree it would be creepy.

Oh wait Japannnn

Yeah. I can understand a father who lost his wife and only has a single daughter being like "I'll kill anyone and do anything to save her." A brother with the same characterization wouldn't feel as real in my view, though in the context of the story presented here I suppose it could still work from a different angle.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Can someone explain to me a bit more what the terms "Originals" and "Original" mean? I presume the "Original" refers to ???? who turned into the Shadowlord, but what was special about his Gestalt process?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Just got the A-ending last night (wow, won't be forgetting that ending anytime soon), so I figure I can field this one to a degree.

While you're in the desert the second time, Weiss points out that it's strange there are wolves there at all, as there's very little to eat. They must be half-starved. Likewise, the people of Facade are growing hungry and desperate as well. Both their leaders are trying to keep them in check, but something snaps and both sides go to war, and everyone suffers.

Also, the opening for route B is spectacularly depressing. This is going to be like last time, but with heartstrings pulled to breaking point, right?

As Irony or Death said, after Nier he's going to play a more cheerful game. Like The Void.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Policenaut posted:

It's something only really briefly touched upon and never directly admitted in-game.

Unless you get the DLC and use an alternate costume.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I really want more people to play this game, but it's tough for me to flatly recommend it to everyone. This makes me sad. :smith:

Edit: I just realized that Number 6 looks like :unsmith:. I will now forever see that when reading this forum.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Just got Ending B, looked at C and D on youtube. Kinda dissapointed in that I thought

That moment where he hesitates to kill the shadowlord was going to be ending D. Instead of killing the shadowlord he gives up his body so he can be with the real Yonah. Guess not :shobon:

That was kind of my hope too going into it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

InnercityGriot posted:

The Scenario timeline from the guidebook is being translated. Check it out here if you're interested. It runs through the entire history of the Nier world and why it is the way it is.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960449-nier/55032830

Huh. Maybe I should play Drakengard.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Huh, what's this about Ending E in that translation?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Can someone go back and read the Project Gestalt memos you get at the end of the game somewhere? I swear it mentions that there are other "Overseers" like Popola and Devola and if there are then that just furthers the idea that there are multiple Replicant fabrication facilities like the one in the Forest of Myth (mentioned in Ending E's "The Lost World" segment)

Wait what? there are multiple things here that don't make sense. Where was it mentioned that the Replicants came from the Forest of Myth? Also, what is Ending E?.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Lotish posted:

drat it'll be so good to finally beat this game so I can see the black bars.

Wait, do I need to beat all the endings before I check the black bars? How long does that take? I've played for about 25 hours now and haven't quite gotten ending A.

I'd wait til you beat Ending B, but that second playthrough doesn't take long at all.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

This game focuses on the weirdest things sometimes.

"Kaine has to sleep outside...Kaine ALWAYS has to sleep outside! How could I not have noticed! How selfish I am..."

I thought that was well done myself.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

That's so sad. At least they ended on an amazing note. Anyone have any contact info of people in the studio? I'd like to write them a fan latter before it's too late. :unsmith:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Best thing Square-Enix has published this generation as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. Just got Ending D - I was actually sad to put the final nail in my experience with it. :smith:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Anybody offhand know the name of the lead designer for NieR? I'm trying to track down his email info to actually send him a bit of fan mail. I've never wanted to do that before for anything.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Mug posted:

In regards to Kaine Is there any point in the game where it is revealed she has a dick? Other than the bully saying "Why you acting like a girl?"

Yes, use the Kabuki costume from the DLC. It's really obvious.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Garin posted:

A happy game.

Careful, if you get Ending D you'll never me able to use that name again!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I wish Cavia was still around so I could send them fan mail. :(

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I feel like I've missed a lot of the back story by not having played Drakengard. :(

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Rondo posted:

I loved this game, it's the most I've been sucked into a game's atmosphere in ages. As soon as I finished up all the endings and read about the Drakengard connections I wiped the dust off the ps2. After the week long grind to get the final ending to it I can say it was well worth it for the insane story and to see how it's connected to Nier. It's a shame the director of the first wasn't involved in Drakengard 2, at least as far as I can tell, there's not even as much as a wikipedia entry for Taro Yoko. It sounds like it'd be worth a shot if only for what I've heard about it having an interesting soundtrack.

Count me in as glad to have played as the grizzled old Klaus Kinski father character from the Gestalt version, the conversations between him and Grimoire Weiss were great and it's hard to imagine it'd have the same tone with the younger character. Here's hoping that maybe the same fan dedication that went into translating Grimoire Nier might get us an english fan-patch for Replicant one of these days, for completion's sake if nothing else.

I'm hoping that Taro Yoko leaving AQ Interactive will end up with him and hopefully some former Cavia staff forming a new studio, unlikely I'm sure :(. That or finding a home with a studio like Grasshopper or Tango Gameworks, if only because a collaboration with Killer7's Masafumi Takada for a soundtrack would be amazing. Hell, my dream scenario would be bringing back everyone who worked on Nier's soundtrack for another go, but I'm definitely setting myself up for disappointment there. Really just hoping for any news that he'll be able to keep making games at any rate.

Loved the game though and happy I found out about it from here, doubt I'd have given it much consideration based on some of the published reviews it's gotten. Glad I'll have the dlc and Grimoire Nier to make the second full playthrough that much more worthwhile.

I wish I could find Taro Yoko's email address. I'd love to send him some fan mail. :unsmith:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, I just completed the key to the Shadowlord's Castle. To quote Nier, "it's killing time."

First time through eh?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I actually like this bit of art the most for Father Nier:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Holy hell where did that come from? I've never seen that piece of CGI art before.

I actually don't think that's CG; look at the hair. I could be wrong, but either way it doesn't detract from the piece. It's done by the same artist who did this one - I think these were both promotional pieces used in full page magazine spreads.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'm continually impressed by how long this thread has survived. Goes to show how awesome the game is imo.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Jonathan Creek posted:

He is now working at Square-Enix.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/12/nier-director-yoko-taro-steps-out-of-retirement-to-help-square-enix-social-game/

And is working on a (Japan only) social game called "MonsterXDragon"...a real-time strategy game.

And he has Twitter and always replies to Tweets, even ones in English. He's much better at English than most of the other Japanese designers I've messaged and/or doesn't ignore you! Message him sometime, I did about a possible Drakengard/Nier canon follow up and he said he would like to make it for Vita.

What's his twitter? I've been dying to tell someone who worked on the project how much I love it.

Policenaut posted:

Yet another Nier soundtrack is coming: NieR Gestalt & NieR Replicant Piano Collections

That's right, Square-Enix. Just keep releasing soundtracks.

I would kill for the sheet music for this album.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 26, 2012

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Man, I'd love to get the sheet music for this as a present for my father.

Edit:

Available here: http://otaku.co.uk/productlist.asp?catsearch=&sdsearch=Nier&x=0&y=0

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 22, 2012

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

I still don't see this as bad design. It's there. Whether or not you see it isn't really the game's fault, especially when they make it obvious.

It's pretty bad design. As I recall, the NPC talks about fishing a fish out of the ocean. The closest beach to him is not the beach you need to fish at. Furthermore, it's not clear why the other beach would be fundamentally different given its proximity.

Misunderstanding this step in the quest chain is incredibly easy and no fault of the player in my view.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

NonsenseWords posted:

I'm kind of under the assumption the ambiguity is part of the English script's fault. I don't know Japanese, but it might be that the RepliCant version has more explicit or specific instructions and English just got translated as 'go to the beach', which doesn't seem like a major issue until you realize that, well... two beaches. Whoops.

Either way, it's confusing, yes. Not game destroying (unless you're that... one reviewer) but confusing.

Not game destroying no, but I do know a reasonably large number of people who stopped playing here as a result. The fishing minigame itself is also just really annoying, so fishing 30 times in a row and then not getting the item you need to progress the main plot is really rough.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

NonsenseWords posted:

Now that's definitely subjective. I actually found fishing pretty easy and fairly relaxing-- a lot simpler and more pleasant than most fishing minigames out there, too. Although I imagine it leaves a bad taste if all of your experience comes from trying to fish in the wrong spot.

Well, I don't particularly want to do a mechanical breakdown of the minigame, but suffice it to say the explanation of what you're supposed to do and the animation/visual cues don't immediately line up as you would expect, making it more annoying than it should be. In aggregate is it less annoying than, say, the Breath of Fire 2 one? Definitely. It's no Deadly Premonitions fishing though.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Didn't have any trouble figuring out the fishing minigame (where to go and how to do it), but I never bothered doing any more of it after the obligatory quest because it sucked.

The rest of the game is sweet though, I still listen to the soundtrack almost every day. I suspect that I'm going to have to start up my second playthrough soon, probably when I get tired of Borderlands 2.

The rest of the game is in fact sweet. It's probably my favorite story in a video game outside of Planescape: Torment.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Yoko Taro and the Deadly Premonition crew... I can only imagine fantastic things coming of this. :allears:

This is the best news.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

It's probably going to be an ancient prequel considering Zero and One are goddesses. Probably going to explain the Seeds of Resurrection or whatever they were called.

I'd totally love to be wrong and have Caim return to kick his friends and allies whenever they piss him off though.

You talk as if time-travel is off the table in this series. Phah!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I dunno if this was posted already, but I stumbled across a new Drakengard 3 trailer earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNMZPnVzA48

The music makes me excited. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Rasamune posted:

We're all talking about that stuff in the Drakengard 3 thread now. Come on over :)

Oh. Well then!

• Locked thread