Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
I really hope that this game gets a sequel or that some of the DLC addresses some of the questions the game leaves open. Like why ??? had both Grimoires in the prologue, let alone one. I've gotten all four endings and there's little if anything to answer that question with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
After you throw out your line, turn the camera so you're looking at the rod from an angle that isn't completely retarded, unlike say the angle they default you to. Once you start reeling the fish in, simply hold down on the analog stick. If your dude starts leaning keep holding down but move your analog stick towards the direction your dude's leaning in. The cue for you to start reeling in is really pronounced, not a little dip. I'm assuming you're trying to catch a Shaman Fish. If so, don't fish next to the old dude, fish on the beach near the lighthouse. Also after you fish up the shaman fish and talk to the old dude check out the fish shop, it'll make you go :argh:.

The OP really needs a section on how to fish, I swear more people get caught on the single plot required fish than anything else in the game.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 2, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
They didn't just pick a bad spot to show, they picked the worst spot. :sigh:

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Are there any costumes or armor? This default starting look is just ... wow awful. =/

You get a different look later on in the game. Also yeah, the fact that the dude who does this has only apparently done Tekken games besides this is a loving travesty, the soundtrack for this game is easily the best I've heard in years.

The other costume you get is worse.:ssh:

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 2, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
What's there to be slighted about in terms of Ending D? I mean, besides the obvious, and I don't mean the whole saved game data thing.

If anything it just kinda makes me feel like Cavia (huge loving spoilers, sorta)just really wanted Kaine to be the main character to begin with but liked the father/brother searching for his daughter/sister thing too much as a tagline to drop it. In any case it makes a lot of little things about the game make more sense, like how the Shadowlord does not take on the name you give your character and is just shown as ??? in the prologue.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 2, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Syvere posted:

I also read the boss descriptions. poo poo sucks, but luckily those aren't too bad spoilers. Still, makes you kinda wonder why those aren't secret trophies like some others that are much less "spoilery".

This is a game by the Cavia. Cavia are dicks. This is the only reason they have ever needed for any of their game decisions.

Besides, some of the boss descriptions are either pretty misleading or refer to poo poo you have literally no way of knowing until the second playthrough.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
I'm also surprised that people seem to dislike the combat in this game but liked it in Darksiders, the latter of which I personally found to have a clunky mess of constant button mashing. This game at least has evil spammable magic attacks to spice things up with. Also the description of the game's combat as a Zelda game is pretty apt - in fact, this game does not even attempt to hide the fact that it took strong inspiration from more recent Zelda games.

Those of you who have completed the sand dungeon know exactly what I'm talking about here.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Xythar posted:

I have yet to see anyone make a convincing argument as to why SO4 is a bad game, every complaint I hear about it is just anime anime anime blah blah blah. You yourself said that story comes secondary to gameplay, and SO4 even provides you with convenient summaries when you skip all the cutscenes.

Welch.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
The point of no return is beautifully telegraphed though through an invoking of the lamest of all RPG cliches.

In any case, the easiest way to get across the no running room is to realize that A. You can attack and B. The bullet hell boxes are destroyable and don't come back while you stand on the spot they're supposed to spawn on. Pretty sure that's an intended solution, because near the end of the line on the left one of the boxes is one 'box' forward for no apparent reason other than it helps you time the last little bit

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
In addition to that information dump, sometimes Yonah's diary entries are replaced in loading screens by something else entirely.
The entries talk about, among other things, humanity feebly trying to stave off some kind of threat that isn't even fazed by nuclear weaponry, with some of the entries dated more than thirty years before the prologue. Having some kind of virulent superplague take more than three decades to do its work seems a little off, perhaps there's another threat that humanity had to combat and was therefore desperately researching things like Number 6.

On another note, in Part 2 of the game an old man in the library tells you that humanity's problems started when an unspeakable horror fell from the sky, resulting in the world becoming a "metropolis of salt" and many of the world's cities being submerged in the ocean.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Nier: Prepare to be Defeated by Fishing

Yeah, they put the cocktease in something you had to go through and put the clear and blatant reference to what Caim+Red accomplished in the one place you probably would never think to look. Kinda puts another spin on the whole 'snow in summer' thing going on at the start of the game, though, since, well, that's probably not snow.

Also minor food for thought: If you talk to some of the random characters in part 2 you get a very clear impression that night just doesn't happen anymore. Furthermore, go out into a field and look up. See the sun? Because I sure don't.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 4, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
The boar quest is the best quest in the entire game for one reason and one reason alone.

So you kill it and get its tusk, right? And then oh hey, you can loot it for sweet boar parts. I got its liver when I did it. I turn the quest in, walk outside, and there's a boar minus a tusk sitting outside the town. After I beat the living poo poo out of it and took its liver it's just sitting out there like it ain't no thang and is completely ready to charge into destiny. That boar is the most metal boar ever. :black101:

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Lopside posted:

Will there be a demo of this any time soon? The storyline, soundtrack and art direction are really interesting to me, but the comments about the iffy gameplay kind of worry me. Is it Drakengard bad, or just mediocre? I can put up with so-so gameplay as long as there's some sort of variety to it, and I've heard NIER mixes things up every once in a while. The Giantbomb quick look made me really doubtful of that though; It was just the same thing over and over. Did they pick a bad section of the game to show, or is the entire game really that monotonous? I really hope not, because the artstyle, storyline, and music seem so fresh and creative. I really want this Cavia game to be one I can actually enjoy.

The Giant Bomb people basically picked the worst possible section of the game to show off and took way too long going about showing it off.

e: scratch that, they could have decided to fail at fishing for half an hour, which would have been worse.

e2: VVV They went from immediately after the prologue to starting the boss fight of the first dungeon and took a bit more than half an hour about it.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 4, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Lopside posted:

Does anybody know if the composer has done anything else?

Tekken games. That's it. Yeah, you read that right.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
About Devola's singing - that's cool but not actually the whole story. Often Devola will be in the town's bar singing - so as you get further away from the bar you hear the singing portion of the track less clearly. If you enter the bar though, the song's acoustics change noticeably to reflect the enclosed surroundings.

There's a also a special version of the track used only once in the game as a reward for completing a bit of an odd sidequest.

Also a lot of the themes that start off quietly and then get more 'exciting' are that way because the calmer form plays while you're just exploring and mucking about. When you encounter enemies, though, the 'other' part of the song seamlessly blends in with what was playing before. It's pretty obvious that the soundtrack and its use in the game was a labor of love. And yeah, that this guy hasn't gotten more work is a goddamned shame.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 4, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
My reactions in two emoticons:

1. The NY Times does video game reviews and reviewed Nier: :psyduck:
2. The NY Times reviewer wrote a completely glowing review: :psyboom:

e: VVV you do know that nier is based off of drakengard's ending e, right? so in the context of this game the naked baby apocalypse, y'know, happened? in another world anyway

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 4, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

It's more that it's funny considering that the same dude reviewed Drakengard and Nier and gave the former a higher score.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I was lurking around GameFAQs earlier today for material locations and I noticed someone posting something very interesting, no it wasn't another "waaaa replicant" thing it was a list of Drakengard weapons. At first I sorta laughed it off but I went back to The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard and did the comparisons and holy poo poo, they're right.

If you've got these weapons, just load 'em up on the weapon menu and take a good look at them. Some of them only apply on their fully upgraded versions but be damned if not all of these match almost perfectly. (I unfortunately couldn't find pictures of a couple)

Liliy-leaf Sword = Writheheart
Nirvana Dagger = Maiden's Kris
Moonrise = Moonfire
Rebirth = Ravenfeeder
Earth Wyrm's Claw = Dragonhook
Blade of treachery = Skald's Song
Faith = Takamasa
Ancient Overlord = Kingsblood
Axe of Beheading = Lovekeeper
Fang of the Twins = Twins' Fang
Vile Axe = Foul Blade
Iron Will = Hymir's Finger
Spear of the Usurper = Robber King
Devil Queen = Widow's Death
Sunrise = Fheng's Glaive
Captain's Holy Spear = Battlelust
Dragoon Lance = Knight's Vow

The amazing part is that not only do these weapons match in physical appearance, but a majority (if not all) of them actually share similar stories. Sunrise tells of its ability to cause painless death, which its Drakengard equivalent "Fheng's Glaive" mentions. The Nirvana Dagger mentions girls being sacrificed at a temple, just like it's friend the Skald's Song. I don't know whether to call Cavia lazy for doing this, or brilliant for going so far out of their way for Drakengard references.

at least verdelet isn't in the game

When Caim was finally brought down he exploded like a macabre pinata and scattered his weaponry collection around the world.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
I went the opposite route and didn't bother upgrading my items at all. It's totally not necessary unless you're playing on Hard mode or something, in general the weapons you can buy and your magic will carry you through just fine.

Also titanium alloys are easy, if mildly time-consuming, to get in the second part of the game. They're pretty much a guaranteed rare drop (:psyduck:) from a new miniboss type enemy that starts appearing in specific rooms. The only other thing you can get from them are the main upgrade items for Iron Will / Hymir's Finger, which is their rare, er, rare drop. Basically by the time you can get them reliably in large numbers they're pretty pointless, to be honest. If you're in part 1 you're better off buying the Beastbain from the village shop and tooling around with it then you are upgrading the Nameless Sword or whatever.

Besides, you need like 20 Titanium Alloys for sidequests so you're really better off not using them:ssh:

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 4, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

jannik posted:

I did this as well and had an awesome time with the game. I just don't get why some people do the grindy side-quests or bother upgrading weapons and then complain about those aspects of the game.

Yeah. Biggest tip about this game that I can give you: Cavia are dicks. The upgrade system and grindy sidequests exist for no other purpose than to waste your time. You will easily have enough money to buy everything you ever wanted just by sticking to the quests that don't have you collecting fifty bear asses, and seriously even with weak weapons most enemies will probably fall over in two seconds later on simply because your attack damage has a lot to do with your level/innate attack strength stat.

If you really, really feel the need to have a powerful weapon your first time through the game, read the following.

As soon as Part 2 starts go to Facade and buy the Phoenix Spear. It is absurdly powerful and only costs 31,000 or so bucks. Sure spears have a normal attack that's kinda lovely except against bosses but the triangle attack turns you into pointy death. After you're done with that go beat up the final boss using the weapon you get from completing the fortune teller's sidequest. Using that weapon on the final boss is the only respectable way to beat it down.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
It does troll those completionists beautifully, though. So you want your awesome spear upgraded? 'kay, bring me some eggs. Also I need ten bundles of wheat to cook pasta for some goddamned reason or other. While you're at it go down into the depths of Robot Hell and bring me a bunch of machine oil. How are you gonna carry it? gently caress if I know dude, I'm just the guy asking you to do completely retarded poo poo and you do it anyway. Use magic or something. And don't come back without those logs!

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I find it interesting that not all the weapons are present, I would imagine though that Cavia is probably saving some of them for future DLC like they've mentioned they were making. I'd definitely like to give Caim's Sword to Nier and watch him continue the legacy of genocide and murder with it.

that or maybe an ending e that has caim in it please

I kind of like to think that ???/Shadowlord might be Caim himself. The timing would be almost right, assuming a miraculous survival of a fall from high up in the air, and you never do get a good look at his face in the prologue, what with the hood and his hair pretty much constantly covering his eyes

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Xythar posted:

Welp, passed the halfway (?) point. Boss fight was mad cool.

poo poo-hog? Oh come now, that's not even a real word!

Question regarding a choice: what happens if you choose "Do nothing and be annihilated"?

Also, if anyone was wondering precisely what the old man in the library in part 2 says (that ties in to Drakengard)

I think I'm beginning to understand. Climate change wasn't the cause of our woes; it was only a symptom. The real trouble started when something terrible came down from the sky... It seems this event turned the world into a "metropolis of salt". I guess they're talking about how most of the cities sunk into the ocean.

Regarding the choice:

Did you really think that Cavia would miss the chance to lampshade 'but thou must' style choices? Kaine just says something like 'do it you loving moron I'm dead anyway having the rest of us die too is just idiotic'... and then you get the same choice again. :haw:

Also, about the thing in the Aerie in part 2:

It 'says' one line of dialogue before starting the fight but that doesn't really help things - it's something like 'Who am I? What am I? What's happened to the village? The overall shape/design of the thing really reminded me of a Seed of Destruction/Bone Coffin from Drakengard 1/2, though...

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 5, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

InnercityGriot posted:

http://kotaku.com/5531030/nier-review-not-without-his-daughter

Kotaku posted a very positive review of the game. I thought this game would be divisive, but the wild swings in reception from review to review is more than I thought it would be. I think ImpAtom is right in that this is going to be one of those love it or hate it deals, where if the problems with the game bother you, they will REALLY bother you, and if you're the other way around you might REALLY enjoy it.

It's honestly pretty easy to tell in reviews of this game whether or not the person reviewing fell for the OCD bait in the game. The positive reviews tend to not make a big deal about the grindy sidequests.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 6, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Xythar posted:

Honestly even though I didn't like the fetch quests and fishing at first, I just completed all the quests in part 1 (for 51% completion) and overall I think it was actually fun. I still don't think I'm going to try for all the weapon upgrade trophies though. I spent all of 10 minutes looking for eagle eggs before I got bored.

Yeah. A lot of the negative reviews tend to go "OH GOD THE BACKTRACKING" and "SO MUCH GRINDING" where if you just play the game there's definitely backtracking but it's not like it takes very long and the main story has exactly zero grinding sequences.

it's also easy to tell which reviewers would have preferred the japanese weaboo protagonist (I'm looking at you, Gamespot!)

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
The protagonist's attitude in this game is really refreshing.

There's a magical barrier powered by a floating book in my way? SMASH THE poo poo OUT OF IT AAAAAAAARGH :black101:

Typical JRPG protagonists would have spent at least ten minutes agonizing over the futility of existence and cutting themselves before finally doing something about the barrier :emo:

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

Out of curiosity am I gaining anything by playing on Hard? Because this poo poo is brutal and even the smallest enemies take 20+ hits.

EDIT: Ok screw this Im going to start over at Normal. As long as I'm not missing some dumb achievement for Hard mode.

You can switch difficulties by picking a different one from Options at the title screen and loading your game, if I recall correctly.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, I hear you on that. Cavia just loves trolling people, especially completionists - there's been giant 'gently caress yous' to completionists in most of their games. My favorites besides Nier are probably Drakengard 2 requiring you to play the game three times to get all the endings but the game gets ridiculously harder with each new game +, and Bullet Witch's hardest difficulty being tied to a 1 point achievement on the 360. About the only way they trolled people who just want to see all the endings is that a few of the weapons are somewhat out of the way to get, but nothing nearly as bad as, say, Drakengard 1. Besides, one of them Iron Pipe is manly as hell and is the only proper weapon to use in killing the final boss. :black101:

If I recall correctly, one of Drakengard 1's weapons required you to wait fifteen/twenty minutes in a very short stage before it would spawn.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 6, 2010

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Xythar posted:

Somewhat major part 2 spoiler

Why did Emil turn into a skeleton? I mean seriously, what? :psyduck:

Well, uh.

gently caress it makes too little sense I guess because he was eaten and absorbed her powers as she was dying I guess. At least he's not functionally blind now! :v:

as to why he had to be eaten to absorb her powers I dunno I guess he's mega man or something. That whole scene was funny though, 'hey protag bro if I happen to get eaten please kill my sister - *MUNCH*'

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

mfny posted:

Weiss really does stand out from the moment he first speaks.

Yep. Liam O'Brien knocked this role out of the park for sure.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Literally the only times you're not told exactly where to go with a giant red X on the map are in dungeons. Look for it on your minimap!

e,fb

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Gotta say I was thinking of DLC that didn't rely on your save games not being nuked and this isn't it. :unsmith:

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Truth be told I'm planning on replaying the game on hard when I get time, so it's not like I minded losing my files. :ssh:

This game isn't likely to send Id into gibbering madness except for a few things.

To compare with emoticons:

Drakengard is :cawg:.

Nier is :smithicide:.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Renoistic posted:

The pink ones? Yeah. That's quickly done if you abuse the PS3's system clock.

I've looked it up and apparently there's a quest in Part 1 called The Pride of a Lover given to you by a guy close to the lighthouse in Seafront. You have to talk to him several times before he gives you the quest. So cruel. I don't know if I've missed anything else.

Does the game at least save your quest progress when you replay it?

The best way to answer that question starts by asking in just what sense you mean replaying the game.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
What Drakengard did with insanity this game does with depression and doubt.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
For backstory on Weiss and Noir, at least a little backstory, check the documents you get in the second Twins fight. The focus of the second playthrough is on something different.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I'm going for ending B and Holy poo poo. When fighting them for the first time, I wondered why the shades in the Gretel fight were so useless, I got teary-eyed when the king of Facade killed the wolf leader because it looked so sad, and I wondered why the hell the swordsmith blamed the robot for the death of his brother when it didn't actually do anything. But I never thought those things were intentional until I started the new game+, and now it's safe to say I haven't felt this bad for killing bosses since Shadow of the Colossus. When the pack leader had his little flashback I just about started bawling right there on the sofa.

This whole game really tugs on your heartstrings. The whole plot about saving your daughter - the wedding scene - Emil's death ( I didn't even LIKE him and I could feel my eyes watering as soon as I understood what he was going to do) - Popola and Devola ("Can't you just...go back to the village?"). Heck, even some of the quests were real downers.

I blame the superb music. That little song with the choir boy and strings is just so god drat sad :(

I bet the protagonist seems a LOT less sympathetic and righteous now, eh?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Renoistic posted:

Reading this made me realize just how hosed up the situation in the Aire was. The shade Kaine kills in the cutscene must have murdered the girl and possessed her body, and her brother was fine with it as long as he still had someone to call sister :gonk: One of the unseen NPCs also mention how his wife is "different", so obviously not all villagers were aware of the shades "living peacefully" among them.

Or...

Kaine could have just been being the horrible bitch she really is and is just killing the girl because she just is somewhat possessed by a shade. I mean who else is possessed by a shade and yet kept their humanity too? :ssh:

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Cyrai posted:

Does the game try to pronounce what you name the main character near the end?

People said maybe it does a while back but no one ever really confirmed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Konjuro posted:

I think they're talking about when Emil says the main characters name. There was certainly something said there, but it wasn't my characters name. But to be fair I had 0's instead of o's in the name, not sure why I did that but it did make the Project Gestalt reports more interesting.

During the final battle what does Weiss do exactly when he sacrifices himself? He seems to just float off and change absolutely nothing, other than making you lose your powers. Is he supposed to be holding the shadowlord in place or something?

Yeah, the sisters took their powers back and he was doing everything after that with what little he had left. He basically gave up his physical form entirely to bind the Shadowlord in place, yeah.

• Locked thread