Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

gently caress Blue Marlins and the old man who wants 2 of them :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Holy poo poo, the second visit to the Forest of Myth has to be the biggest "gently caress you!" tease in the entire game.

Nier returns to visit the Divine Tree and talks to it, re-entering Text World where it talks to him about the memories it gathers from mankind within its leaves and tells you these two long stories about a dying boy and a bloodthirsty warrior. The third story starts with "A red dragon that fell from the Heavens" and just when you think that this'll finally be the big Drakengard thing, the game goes "LOL! just fuckin with you i actually lost this memory it was a really good one too i bet you would have liked it"

I actually feel more slighted by this than the implications of Ending D, though now I really want to read the Weapon Story for Ironwill.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The gameplay is basically a Zelda game dressing up as a God of War game. You've got a basic attack, a slightly stronger one, a couple based on situations, a bag of tricks (magic) and you mix them all together to kill poo poo. Only instead of it all playing out slowly it goes fast like GoW.

Also those partners can actually get killed if they take enough hits, early on Kaine died a lot because she kept running into that giant monster in the Southern Plain

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

God drat, I hate Cultivating these flowers. I'm at 98% Quest Completion and the only quest I can do now is that stupid one where that lady in Facade wants 10 Peach Moonflower seeds but the method to get them I've found on PS3T.org doesn't even seem to work. Why can't I just buy these at an exorbitant rate?!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dantes posted:

Sorry for the big black box but since you posted the quest in spoiler, I will answer in kind, just in case.

Oh for... On PS3T the guide for this Trophy makes it look like you had to order them like

A A A B B
B A A A B
B B A A A

And it wasn't working, so it was pretty drat frustrating. I'll give your pattern a try and see if it works out better.

ImpAtom posted:

Lord knows I loved, say, Robot Alchemic Drive, and that game was a disaster of design.

RAD was fuckin' rad

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 3, 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Xythar posted:

Oh man, getting the gardening trophy in this is gonna be fun, I mean just read this poo poo
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/nier/48284-nier-trophy-guide-road-map.html#post721431

It's like breeding a gold chocobo all over again.

I just did this like an hour ago, partly in help with Dantes' big block'o'text up there. It took me barely over an hour to complete, plus you can use those White Moonflower seeds to rake in cash.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I love NIER status updates. I hope some aspie with their own Wikia is transcribing all of these because I'd love to read them all later.

"NIER Rules, rules, rules, rules! What a pain in the [SPOILER]!"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Xythar posted:

Hahaha is [SPOILER] really a part of the quote, that is awesome

It seriously was, saw a friend playing the game around the first visit to Facade and it made me laugh. It was great, I wonder what the ones for the end of the game are like. Probably like "[SPOILER] [SPOILER] is [SPOILER]?!"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

God drat, I keep forgetting to read those Project Gestalt documents that you receive at the end of the game. I've beaten the game twice now and both times have I forgotten to open the menu and look at them when I get them. At least the post-credit sequence for Ending B with Emil's head kinda wandering around the desert was pretty cute.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

UselessLurker posted:

On another note, in Part 2 of the game an old man in the library tells you that humanity's problems started when an unspeakable horror fell from the sky, resulting in the world becoming a "metropolis of salt" and many of the world's cities being submerged in the ocean.

Hahahaha, oh my god. God bless you Caim and Red. I'll make sure to murder some folks with the Iron Will in your names.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Xythar posted:

Yeah the one and only nitpick I'd make with the music is that some of the dungeon themes seem to be on a bit of a short loop, to the point where you get a little sick of hearing them by the time you reach the end of the dungeon. The other stuff is all great though.

Looking at you Junk Heap.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Aaaaaaaa why does every loving jrpg need material grinding

I know I'm literally on a path to destruction by continuing this to its conclusion, but here I am fighting these drat shades in hopes that this rear end in a top hat will drop the 3 more Forlorn Necklace and Broken Earrings I need for weapon crafting.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Xythar posted:

But... it is. Because you don't have to do it. So it's like it's not even there if you don't want it to be.

Tales of Vesperia had like the worst optional dungeon ever but I'm not going to hold it against the game because it's optional. I just skipped doing it entirely and got on with my life.

It is optional, until you decide you want to see the last two endings of the game to see the entire story of the game in which case you have to play 4 of the 60-70 some odd quests to get weapons.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ddraig posted:

I managed to find all the weapons no problem. Then again I do have 98% quest completion.

Let me guess, that loving quest where that girl in Facade wants rare moonflower seeds? (god I hate that quest)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I wouldn't consider the SotN Reverse Castle and NIER's C and D endings to have the same "weight" to them. The Reverse Castle basically doubles the amount of gameplay present in the game while C and D are basically just extended ending sequences and a single additional boss fight.

Still the concept of what you're presenting is pretty much on the mark.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I was lurking around GameFAQs earlier today for material locations and I noticed someone posting something very interesting, no it wasn't another "waaaa replicant" thing it was a list of Drakengard weapons. At first I sorta laughed it off but I went back to The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard and did the comparisons and holy poo poo, they're right.

If you've got these weapons, just load 'em up on the weapon menu and take a good look at them. Some of them only apply on their fully upgraded versions but be damned if not all of these match almost perfectly. (I unfortunately couldn't find pictures of a couple)

Liliy-leaf Sword = Writheheart
Nirvana Dagger = Maiden's Kris
Moonrise = Moonfire
Rebirth = Ravenfeeder
Earth Wyrm's Claw = Dragonhook
Blade of treachery = Skald's Song
Faith = Takamasa
Ancient Overlord = Kingsblood
Axe of Beheading = Lovekeeper
Fang of the Twins = Twins' Fang
Vile Axe = Foul Blade
Iron Will = Hymir's Finger
Spear of the Usurper = Robber King
Devil Queen = Widow's Death
Sunrise = Fheng's Glaive
Captain's Holy Spear = Battlelust
Dragoon Lance = Knight's Vow

The amazing part is that not only do these weapons match in physical appearance, but a majority (if not all) of them actually share similar stories. Sunrise tells of its ability to cause painless death, which its Drakengard equivalent "Fheng's Glaive" mentions. The Nirvana Dagger mentions girls being sacrificed at a temple, just like it's friend the Skald's Song. I don't know whether to call Cavia lazy for doing this, or brilliant for going so far out of their way for Drakengard references.

at least verdelet isn't in the game

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I can't help but think Cavia could have used Facade's Strange-Thing store to maybe offer a randomized inventory that would occasionally let you buy the harder to find materials, but then I remember Cavia hates me and instead the guy just sells surf boards.

gently caress :smith:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

UselessLurker posted:

It does troll those completionists beautifully, though. So you want your awesome spear upgraded? 'kay, bring me some eggs. Also I need ten bundles of wheat to cook pasta for some goddamned reason or other. While you're at it go down into the depths of Robot Hell and bring me a bunch of machine oil. How are you gonna carry it? gently caress if I know dude, I'm just the guy asking you to do completely retarded poo poo and you do it anyway. Use magic or something. And don't come back without those logs!

It's also great that Cavia put in multiple achievements/trophies that basically work against the completionist mindset. There's one for beating the game under 15 hours, which is virtually impossible if you're going to try and do everything and there's the Ending which basically tells you to gently caress off and negates everything you've done.

Cavia's trolling has gone meta!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I find it interesting that not all the weapons are present, I would imagine though that Cavia is probably saving some of them for future DLC like they've mentioned they were making. I'd definitely like to give Caim's Sword to Nier and watch him continue the legacy of genocide and murder with it.

that or maybe an ending e that has caim in it please

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Xythar posted:

Honestly, if not for the weapon upgrade trophies I would probably give it a shot. It's kind of funny that the trophies for doing sidequests only go up to 30, but for weapon upgrades you need to do every. single. one.

To be honest, a lot of them aren't that bad to collect. A lot of the materials can drop faster with +30% Drop words and the game set on Easy, it's just that some materials are complete dicks and the game has unreasonable expectations involving them. Like "Dented Metal Bat" (rare, requires 21 in total), "Eagle Egg" (rare, needs 4, can only be found in one spot in the entire game which is losable), and "Black Pearl" (rare, needs 15, only found in one town) which are totally unreasonable as far as I'm concerned. Cavia should make some sort of material shop for DLC or something because, gently caress, for all the easy weapons there's a "Level Iron Pipe to 4! Give me 21 Metal Bats!"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's located in The Aerie, on the platform beneath the Village Chief's house. You actually find one once for part of a quest near the beginning of the game, and that's basically the only spot in the entire game where Eagle Eggs appear. It's also a regular gather point so if it's not sparkling then you'll have to reload the game, and after the return in Part 2 you'll be unable to ever go back and get that gather point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Goddamnit. Farming for Eagle Eggs is easily a contender for most annoying thing to do in a video game ever.

Just imagine having to do Black Pearls!

*enters town, runs all the way across to both beaches, comes up empty, reloads*

Just like Eagle Eggs! Only you need 15 of them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

"A love that crushes like a pile of metal debris!"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Gentlemen! BEHOLD! NIER DLC!

Okay they don't go into many details but apparently there's going to be a "special stage" for "continuous battles" like the dream fight in The Magic Stone at Seafront and a new set of costumes to turn Nier and friends into... 16th century Samurai? Content can be carried over into the regular game, expect it announced next week in the new issue of Famitsu.

Square-Enix, if you make it easy to get rare materials in this DLC I will buy it. No questions asked.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If you're the type who has to do every single quest, Nier and Weiss often get into chats about Nier's personality and why he just has to help people. It's something I kinda wish they put into the integral story and not left that characterization in side quests, because you see him in different lights when it comes to dealing with the different NPCs in the game (like the lighthouse woman or the fisherman)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah there are quests that Devola doesn't get because the people don't go to her, usually they're quests in Facade.

Did you do the Moonflower seed quest already?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I've heard there's a trophy for beating the game in under 15 hours so I suppose there's a way to replay the whole game with your stats intact?

There is a Trophy for that, but you have to do it legit starting from scratch. I'm going to do it later whenever the hell I get around to finishing all the Weapons and basically it involves putting the game on Easy, skipping every cutscene and pretty much never "pausing" or dicking around because Nier's timer never stops while you're playing it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Crowbear posted:

So if I'm masochistic enough to go for the weapon upgrade trophy (I am), are there any materials that I should look out for in the first half that are miss-able other than the Eagle Eggs?

I just want to make sure I can get it on my first play through (without starting the game from scratch) so I only have to do 1 extra play through for the speed run.

Eagle Eggs can be found in the same place in Parts 1 and 2, it's just that after the big event in Part 2 at their location you can't get them anymore.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Gold Ores are the only "<Mineral> Ore" that can't be bought, but they can be found in random Gather spots. The Desert as mentioned before is pretty good for it, plus you can combine it with your search for those god awful materials that those flying jerks drop (subdued bracelet! :argh:)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Square-Enix Europe let the cat out of the bag about the new Nier DLC, which comes out in Europe on May 12th (and hopefully around the rest of the world.

It's called The World of Recycled Vessel, based on Nier's late wife who was infected too with Black Scrawl. Nier and Weiss apparently travel through time in 15 different fights in what appears to be a boss rush (as mentioned in the Brady Games guide) and for those who win they'll receive three new weapons and two bonus costume sets for Nier, Emil, and Kaine. This DLC also features a bonus quest where you can apparently fight sheep (good for those who need "The Sheep Whisperer" trophy) and :swoon: new music :swoon:

Now please enjoy this picture of Emil.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm really not sure whether or not the "younger Nier" is really the RepliCant model, I would think that they would refer to the Part 1 Nier which doesn't have an eyepatch and has brighter hair. It would be kinda cool though if it was Mr. Anime though, just for a change of pace.

edit: Also for anyone searching for those god awful annoying Dented Metal Bats and Stopped Clocks, it turns out that in Part 2 the lab beneath Emil's mansion is great for these. You get into the second zone, fight a bunch of little melee Shades then go back into the first zone for a room or two and fight some sword shades for the Stopped Clocks.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 10, 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Holy hell, The World of Recycled Vessel actually lets us play as RepliCant? Okay I'll buy that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dominic White posted:

I'm more interested in the actual content it adds - sounds like it's a fairly sizeable chunk of gameplay. Wonder if they've got more packs like this planned?

They finished up Nier awhile ago and immediately went to making DLC for it, so I'd think they would have more than a few packs lined up for us. I'd definitely like to see what new weapons they have in store, if only in hopes to see Caim's Sword return.

The Genocide must continue!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Rivers posted:

Is my mind playing tricks on me or were there actually 3 books in the reports at the end of the game? Weiss, Noir, and another book? Also I'm confused as to why Devola and Popola would purposely make Nier stronger by having him go on quests, rather than just handing his body over to the shadowlord as soon as possible

The third book appears early on in the 1st part, I can't exactly remember when you fight it but you definitely do fight that Grimoire as a boss.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well, drat! Square-Enix's official press release confirms that the "Young Nier" is indeed our RepliCant friend.

quote:

Also, by the popular demand of NIER’s worldwide fans, the World of Recycled Vessel DLC pack will finally allow users in North America and elsewhere to play as “Young Nier,” a version of the title character previously only available in NIER RepliCant, the Japan-only version of the game found exclusively on PlayStation 3. [NIER RepliCant is only on PlayStation 3 and only available in Japan. The game offers the same core gameplay, story line, content and experience as NIER, with the only difference lying in the main character: in NIER RepliCant, the protagonist is a young man fighting to save his sister Yonah, while in NIER, the hero is a grown man fighting to save his daughter, Yonah.]

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Out of interest are you talking about the one you fight in the Spencer Mansion library?

Yeah that's the one, I just fought it in my speed run now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I'm almost done with the weapon upgrades now. The only thing left I really dread collecting are the Black Pearls (12 left) and Flourite (11).

Black Pearls wern't that bad for me, it took me a couple hours but until crap like Dented Metal Bat and Forlorn Necklace, there's an extreme amount of :effort: involved. It's just running around a short distance over and over, plus you can find Flourite and such in Junk Heap and Barren Temple.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

And there, Platinum!

For all the griping and moaning I've made for material collecting, I do have to say that this game went well beyond my expectations for it. I sold Final Fantasy 13 to buy this and I don't regret it for a single moment, definitely a favorite of mine. I'm not sure though if Cavia's trying to be a little cute with the Platinum title though, The Final Verse. Maybe a Drakengard reference?

quote:

Xythar Book Chat

I think the book purposely moves behind the scenes while you're busy fighting all the Shades, that's really the only explanation I can think of why Noir is with Nier in the beginning then after the fight it's hanging out with Yonah

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So after playing the DLC, I think I've come up with an apt subtitle for it.

"The World of Recycled Vessel: Everything is Caim and Red's fault"

Playing as Young Nier was a nice change of pace (though what the gently caress is up with his voice?!), loved all that bizarre techno/rock remixes of the soundtrack, those filters were pretty cool. The story bits were really interesting, basically spending a lot of it talking about Caim, the shades, a "puppet priest", grotesqueries, and how Angelus basically ended the world and I guess the two new environments and new enemy variations were neat. Also love the blatant Drakengard 1/2 references in the weapon stories, they must be saving the good Caim Sword for another DLC though. It's neat though how Cavia managed to fit in two new gameplay gimmicks into this though, I thought those were fun (that on-rails FPS sequence was totally out of left field)

There's only one real thing I'm disappointed by and it's the major lack of any real building of Nier's character in this. The entire DLC's plot just seems to help flesh out the cause of the end of the world (which is now 99% obviously Caim and Red's fault) but ignores the fact that this is about Nier's wife. I would have liked that diary to actually be added to the Memo section so we could read it, maybe learn more about Nier's family before she died. Maybe we could have even seen his wife in a small sequence? It also disappointed me that even though we played Young Nier, Weiss never mentions anything about the fact of how different he looks. I would have liked just one joke about it from him, that would have been enough for me to look past the lack of development. At the end it's just "So uh what do you make of it" and Weiss goes "No idea" and it ends. WTF Cavia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

In between most of the "nightmare" sequences there are black screens with white lines of text that are kinda short and ominous, some of them blatantly refer to characters from Drakengard though. One of the lines goes along as such "The dragon's corpse brought death to the world, bringing to it the power of the devil" which is basically "Yeah, she's the reason everyone's hosed." There's a Verdelet reference I believe in there and Caim gets a shout out too. There's some really interesting backstory development in here but it's the kind you're going to have to really pick apart.

The DLC works pretty much how you think it would, you download and install it, then you load up either a New Game or a Continue and you get a message saying that the DLC is installed and how to play it (the diary is an examine item in Nier's home). The weird thing is that the "Downloadable Content" menu option is still inaccessible, no clue about that. The weapons you get are all blunt Drakengard references too, the "Fool's" trio.

For those who just want to know their stats, here.

Fool's Embrace (One Hand) Lv.1
ATK: 200, Magic +30%
Weight: Very Heavy
A sword created after a man, driven mad by revenge, sealed away a cursed dragon.

Fool's Lament (Two Hand) Lv.1
ATK: 400, Magic +30%
A weapon with a heroic dragon motif, used by a man who tried to save the world.

Fool's Accord (Spear) Lv.1
ATK: 300, Magic +30%
A lance birthed as part of a pact of an ancient red dragon.

Like total assholes, Cavia made the sole upgrade requirement to these Damascus Steel (a.k.a. "That worthless ore you get in Junk Heap looking for Flourites and sell) but on the plus side, despite them being classed "Very Heavy" they swing at the same speed as "Light". A bug or Cavia loving with us? No idea. At least that's how they feel. Some of these weapons glow and have pulsating special effects, the two handed sword has a red trail too.

• Locked thread