Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
Will there be a demo of this any time soon? The storyline, soundtrack and art direction are really interesting to me, but the comments about the iffy gameplay kind of worry me. Is it Drakengard bad, or just mediocre? I can put up with so-so gameplay as long as there's some sort of variety to it, and I've heard NIER mixes things up every once in a while. The Giantbomb quick look made me really doubtful of that though; It was just the same thing over and over. Did they pick a bad section of the game to show, or is the entire game really that monotonous? I really hope not, because the artstyle, storyline, and music seem so fresh and creative. I really want this Cavia game to be one I can actually enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010

Xythar posted:

It is absolutely not Drakengard bad. Personally I think the gameplay is pretty varied, fighting regular mooks is a bit button-mashy (no worse than Darksiders though) but you do a lot more than that.

I couldn't stand Drakengard and I think this game is great.

Well that's a huge relief. I hated Darksiders, but that was more because of the awful writing and art design than the gameplay. Button-mashy combat doesn't bother me in the least, as long as it's not frustratingly unresponsive or boring to look at. Hell, I even think Dynasty Warriors combat is kind of fun sometimes. As long as there aren't any terrible control issues with the fighting, I think I'll be fine.

Definitely gonna pick this up now.

Also, can we talk some more about the music for a bit? I bought the soundtrack on Itunes the other day and I'm seriously loving it. It's such an atmospheric and ethereal bunch of songs. I'm definitely getting some Bjork vibes from a few of the tracks, especially in Kaine's theme. The Emil/Karma theme is also incredibly cool, I don't think I've ever heard a battle theme quite like it. Does anybody know if the composer has done anything else?

Xythar posted:

Which section was in the Giant Bomb quick look?

Nier's daughter went into some dilapidated building with a huge tree inside of it in order to find some flower, and the entire quick look was basically just him fighting the same monster over and over in identical rooms filled with crates from a top-down perspective. The video kind of picked up when he got Grimmoire Weiss and engaged some golden statue boss things, but the quick look ended before you actually got to see any of the fight.

Lopside fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 4, 2010

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010

UselessLurker posted:

Tekken games. That's it. Yeah, you read that right.

:aaaaa: That's a loving travesty. Hopefully the composer will get some well-deserved recognition for this sountrack and not have to squander their talents on Tekken games anymore. I can totally see them making music for Team Ico games or something.

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
Adaptive soundtracks are so awesome. I loved the way Uncharted 2's music adjusted to what was happening in the game, adding or removing layers of sound depending on the situation. I'm sure NIER's sound design builds some awesome atmosphere if it does the same thing.

fffffuck I am now really excited to play this game

Lopside fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 4, 2010

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
I didn't think it was possible for a Cavia project to result in something more:psypop:than the naked baby apocalypse from Drakengard, but there you go.

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
The Gametrailers review is finally up, if anyone's interested: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-nier/65332

It's pretty similar to most of the other reviews.

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
Having just finished the game, I think it's safe to say that this is the most enjoyable jrpg I've played in years. The game's flaws were remarkably easy to overlook and the good outshines the bad by so much. I'm playing for the B ending right now, and so far I've been really surprised by how much NG+ adds to the overall story. I thought the Kaine's Dreams segment was especially great and brought so much depth to her character. I had heard that the story was creative and original, but I never expected it to be written this well. The localization team did an absolutely fantastic job. I'm really glad you guys convinced me to buy this.

Did anybody else notice that Nier's birthday is September 11th? Is that supposed to be some sort of throwback to Drakengard (it released in Japan on September 11th) or is it just typical Cavia insanity?

Also, can anyone tell me which sidequests are necessary for the C/D endings and where they're located?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
Does anybody else think it was a huge mistake for Nier to have the ability to block projectiles? It totally negated the bullet hell style pattern magic attacks the enemies used. After a while I forced myself not to block enemy spells and I think it made the game a lot more fun, especially during the bossfights. There weren't even any circumstances (that I remember) where you absolutely needed to block, as pretty much every attack can be evaded without a huge amount of difficulty.

• Locked thread