Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
So this might be interesting.

NieR RepliCant is being re-released in an Ultimate Hits version at the end of April. This alone isn't too fascinating, but Play Asia has a curious note in their information section.

Language: English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Policenaut posted:

I saw that but I can't imagine why Square-Enix could English localize a game made by a company that no longer exists and only release it in Japan entirely for their budget line-up. I think it's just going to be an English manual or something.

Yeah, I'm dubious, but word on the GameFAQs board (truly a source of absolute wisdom) was that Play Asia confirmed it would have English text in-game and not just the manual. And it's not entirely unbelievable; I've seen other games offer English subs when they get the Asia release, so holding out hope.

Mostly I just want to believe. The language barrier is the only thing keeping me from importing RepliCant right this second. I may have a problem.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

That Rough Beast posted:

Triple Platinum Replicant LP with video evidence. Oh, and you can't mess with the system clock for those stupid moonflowers.

It's my hope if the suggestion is outlandish enough we can save Policenaut from Policenaut.

You're talking about a fellow who got a Platinum on this game twice. That is well beyond hope of being saved.

vvvvv
This does not preclude you from also being insane.

Although that guy is... wow. Words cannot express.

NonsenseWords fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 22, 2011

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Ghost Head posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. Come to think of it, I think I do have a spirit drop or whatever they're called.

I don't think I'll skip the cutscenes though because it's my first time through and I really couldn't give a poo poo about achievements anyway.

Given that the particular boss not only (a) precedes one of the best cutscenes in the game but (b) does not actually have a a time-trial achievement attached to it, yes. Best not to skip it.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
In regards to the drama CD, a fellow on GameFAQs is working on providing summaries of the tracks, for those interested.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
You're going to need to do the Gambit quests a little ways. Rusted Clumps actually have a lot of 'health', so to speak, so your main problem probably isn't so much not being able to land them as it not being able to actually reel them in. They have about the same health as sharks, so if you go up to level 5, I believe, you'll be able to pull them in.

Also, the tribute album site updated a couple of days ago with a track list and some samples and the verification that the marketing team is probably composed of lunatics. Still digging the music, myself.

NonsenseWords fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 8, 2011

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Miijhal posted:

Of course, it's never going to happen, since Yoko Taro doesn't work for Cavia anymore. :smith:

Cavia doesn't exist anymore, though, and those that remain are working on a game called Animal Resort.

It's actually a good sign that he quit AQ Interactive; it leaves him a free agent. He can hired by contract, and Square -- not AQ -- owns the rights to the game. I'm not saying it's likely, but the man's been involved in the last couple of Nier-related releases (cover artists for the tribute album, which explains everything, and the writer/director on the drama CD) so there's a sliver of hope.

This being Nier, though, I imagine hope is going to be crushed in short order.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

NonsenseWords posted:

This being Nier, though, I imagine hope is going to be crushed in short order.

Hope crushing is go.

Although I was honestly expecting the 'major announcement' to be about the piano arrangement album, so at least it was something new.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Vadun posted:

I've gotten all the fishing quests completed and the trophies that go with it, but i'm looking for advice on what/where to grind for weapon materials

GameFAQs has a weapon guide that will tell you everything you need to gather. As for where, they're all over the place, but your main grind spots are going to be the Junk Heap and the Shinjuku area that you're sent to by talking to the fortuneteller in the Forest of Myth. The former will supply you with the vast majority of everything you will need, while the latter is good for Shade drops (kitchen knives, metal bats, handsaws, etc).

I'd suggest equipping your best item drop words, and bumping the difficulty to Hard for the duration of your hunt. I'd also suggest doing it at the very end of the playthrough, once you have the key to the final dungeon, just so you have easy access to everywhere you need to be.

I'd also suggest keeping a laptop at hand specifically to watch videos or DVDs because it gets tedious, and for the rarer drops quite frustrating. Having some passive entertainment made it much easier.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No I meant the physical bar GUI
It's increasing in length, but it's not really noticeable at lower levels. You'll see a marked difference if you compare what you have now to what you'll have later, but it's pretty subtle level-to-level.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

He's talking about the endgame sidequest, I think, where you enter Nier's "dream" version of the game's "modern day" introduction sequence. That never really occurred to me as a good "grinding" spot, though, as most of the Shade drops I needed I could find in the fields without trouble.
Yeah, that's the place (as I suppose you've already found out). As somebody who didn't have the providence to get a lot of the rarer Shade drops through the normal course of play, the area was a godsend.

Mad Surge posted:

Speaking of achievements, how is the speedrun achievement? Is it particularly hard to get?
It's a breeze. You don't even have to try particularly hard; I accidentally did it when I did a bare-bones run of the story with a couple of friends. A proper 'speedrun' only takes about six hours.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
I just about had a heart attack before I saw what that was actually from. drat it.

Still, I guess it's encouraging that they are still doing things with the IP. Might mean something one day. One day.

And since there were some questions about Yoko Taro a little while ago, I'm gonna leave this here.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

GUI posted:

I'd prefer Nier's characters just have cameo appearances in games as opposed to becoming a franchise. It works infinitely better as a stand-alone title as opposed to becoming another video game franchise that keeps getting milked until it ceases to produce profit.

Eh, I dunno. I can see a sequel (a small one, honestly, a downloadable title or a hand-held as opposed to a full console release) based on the final story out of the Grimoire. And the developers mentioned a couple of ideas based on the universe, but not necessarily the characters; there's a lot of backstory to delve into, completely unrelated to Nier itself, which would leave the game alone but contribute to the fascinating worldbuilding.

Although all I personally want is a spinoff about the wacky and terribly traumatic camping adventures of Emil and Kaine and the boar.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Policenaut posted:

On the roof there's an encounter close to the giant door that leads into where you fought the first boss and you can repeatedly go to it then return to the boss room and go back to farm it. From exiting the Boss Room, you go up the ladders to the highest point and you follow the rooftop path until you drop down and you'll fight a trio of magic shades. I'm trying to recall all this from memory but I remember that being how I got my Forlorn Necklaces.
You remember correctly, sir.

And remember to bump up to Hard mode if you're doing concerted farming, if you haven't already; item drop rates are increased on Hard, and I found it to be worthwhile.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
I love Drakengard. I cannot stand to play the game but it is just so hosed up I can't help but adore it.

Id's LP kind of helped with that, of course, but still...

Scorpion-Cage-Leonard, though, that, uh... wow. Drakengard.

Right, Nier.

Policenaut posted:

Yet another Nier soundtrack is coming: NieR Gestalt & NieR Replicant Piano Collections

That's right, Square-Enix. Just keep releasing soundtracks.

They actually teased this on the obi for the -echo- CD (or so I've heard, I can't read Japanese) and I was actually wondering what was going on with this project just recently. And there it is.

And there goes my money.

Again.

ugh at this rate I'll need to buy RepliCant just to even out the collection...

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
I dunno. Yoko Taro expressed interest in doing a project for the Vita, and handheld stuff is a lot cheaper than a full-blown console release. And Squeenix has already hired him from outside the company to work on a game, so the possibility of green-lighting a sequel/prequel/spin-off with our favorite joy-destroying director is... I'm not gonna say 'good' or even 'plausible' but at least within the realm of possibility.

(That's assuming they gave the go-ahead for a sequel at all, which I'm not saying is even remotely likely at this point in time, but if they did they might have the decency to keep the director. Maybe. Possibly. Please.)

And I'd certainly buy it if Yoko Taro was involved. At the very least, we'd be assured that it would be interesting edging into batshit insane.

Pesky Splinter posted:

"One of Chaos' warriors!"
"Um...hey. Have any of you seen my daughter anywhere?"
"Why should we listen to you!?"
"Whatever. If you see her just tell her that I'm waiting at the big fiery volcano thing. She's a smart kid, she'll find her way there."
"You'll never take my sister from me!?"
"...who the gently caress are you?"
Older Brother Nier and younger Papa Nier. Brother Nier is all rage and fury and Papa Nier just has no idea what's going on. Even moreso than usual.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
I laughed way too hard the Devil Queen.

Probably laughed way too hard at some of these others, too. It's like everybody was assigned a weapon and was just told that whoever made the most ridiculously morbid story would win a prize.

Pollyanna posted:

That should be all the weapon stories! Now to do the short stories...

I love you, by the way.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
Nobody ever did a writeup for the Stone Flower, unfortunately. GameFAQs finally got a really basic summary of it, but I don't know if that would help much at all.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
A panel discussing the differences between the two games would be interesting (as would a proper Replicant Let's Play). Although there are a lot of things to potentially discuss, too; you get a room full of sobbing nerds and you can explore something like emotional connection with characters and why Nier makes you cry through the end credits while so many other games just fall flat.

In other news:

In light of Double Fine making over 2 million dollars toward a point-and-click adventure, somebody asked Yoko Taro about his opinion of trying to use Kickstarter funding to make a NieR sequel (or any game, really).

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

The kind of money you'd need to make to produce something on the level of Nier (not exactly a huge budget game) is a hell of a lot more than two million dollars, and I'm pretty confident that "the guy who made that way hosed up game with the dragon" doesn't have that kind of clout. Tim Schafer has thrown out numbers like "thirty million" for a Psychonauts sequel, which even he wouldn't ever expect to pull from Kickstarter.

If you read the article it basically comes down to 'thanks for the interest, but it can't happen'. I just find it nice that people are interested enough to ask (and then have random articles written about it). Also that Yoko Taro uses smiley emoticons. There's something... interesting about that.

Pollyanna posted:

EDIT: You guys are in for quite the ride by the way.

If this story goes in the direction I'm pretty sure it goes in I cannot wait.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

I just imagined a legion of salty xenomorphs led by a red-eyed Caim against a Black Scrawl-infested-yet-still-badass Nier and I think I came a little.

A floating Emil head could provide Nier the magical backup Weiss would have had he not sacrificed himself.

Heh. According to the radio drama, Emil becomes a cyborg and winds up fighting the aliens 300 years after the events of the game. Although I like your idea, too. Way too much.

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress
In case you don't believe me (Drama CD summary link, massive spoilers). Disc 2, track 3, last thing on the page.

(Although if you haven't seen them before I'd say check out the entire thing, it's pretty interesting.)

NonsenseWords fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 23, 2012

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I like Nier's response to receiving the Iron Will the second time. I don't like the fact that they're making me go through the dungeon again, even though I have a couple memory alloys in my inventory.

Actually, if you have Memory Alloy in your inventory, you just walk into the dungeon and a message will pop up that you got Memory Alloy and you can just leave. If that didn't happen then you might not actually have any (and are thinking of Titanium Alloy, I'd imagine).

Salsa McManus posted:

So... Who would play a Metal Wolf Chaos style game starring Emil as the mech fighting aliens?

A thousand times yes.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
I think it was more deliberate than that. That's the kind of thing that you wouldn't even take notice of if you were just playing the game.

I... want to say that I read somewhere that the whole magical apocalypse affected the axial tilt of the planet, so the world is spinning on the wrong axis and winds up keeping half of it in constant daylight while half of it is constant night. But I fully admit I might be pulling that out of my rear end.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Sweet, I hope that it becomes available outside of Japan soon. I finished the game two weeks ago and the soundtrack has been getting a lot of playtime since then. :iia:
All the extra soundtracks (except the Fifteen Nightmares) have been Japan-only; I doubt this one's going to get released officially overseas. You'll have to import if you want the physical copy, but shipping costs aren't prohibitive if you're willing to wait a bit. I'd certainly suggest it.

Camel Pimp posted:

This is a dumb question, but I heard the Nier soundtrack was on iTunes, but I can't find it! I am just stupid?
Yeah, it's on iTunes. Maybe narrow your search by looking for Nier Gestalt? Dunno what else you'd have to do, it was the first result that came up for me.

vvvvv That'll probably be it.

NonsenseWords fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 20, 2012

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Dunbar posted:

(end of Part 1 spoilers, obviously)
Why didn't Emil just petrify the doors by themselves? Does a person have to be standing there for it to work on the surrounding environment?
More specifically, his petrification only works on living things. You'll notice in the rest of the cutscene that he doesn't manage to turn half the library books to stone when he looks out the ceiling, so yeah, Kaine had to be there. You might also have noticed that her Shade half was acting up by the end of the fight, so she made a request as much for saving the villagers as for stopping herself.

oh dear black boxes

Pollyanna posted:

I'm not dead, just still working on Stone Flower. I could post the first part I have done right now, but maybe it's better to wait until it's all finished.
I'm sorry to sound impatient, but how's this project going?

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Me being a complete retard, I chose to start working on it right as I started getting assfucked by school. Oh god forgive me :negative:

I'll get it done this weekend.

Oh, no rush! I thought it was something like that (also the fact that you're translating an entire short story). You did such a wonderful job with the final weapons stories already, just wanted to know if you were still pursuing it. It's good to know! Good luck!

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
A friend and I were (relatively recently) discussing the viability of a horror game that takes place in a museum. Good to know somebody else agreed!

There's more information, and apparently they'll be talking even more throughout the week. I look forward to this.

(Pac-Man inspired multiplayer mode. I still can't figure out if this development house was a mad genius, or just mad.)

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: I don't mean to pester you, Pollyanna, but how's the translations coming?

I hate to nudge this, too, but I'm still dreadfully curious myself.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
Oh! I meant to post this ages ago and just... forgot. And I don't believe anybody else has, so...

A while back (a long while back) there was some discussion about the NIER status messages, because some rather goofy ones would crop up. At the time, nobody had compiled a list, so the subject kind of petered out.

Since then, somebody has.

I don't think it's perfectly complete (somebody on GameFAQs mentioned one that says "Prince saved. Crazytown happy. I'm out of here."), but it's got most of them so have some fun.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Every time this thread gets bumped I get really excited and hope there's some news about Taro Yoko, Cavia, or more NIER-related swag. :sigh:

Or an update on the translation job on The Stone Flower. Just saying.

I know it's no small feat and I love you for taking the attempt, Pollyanna.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
I'm kind of under the assumption the ambiguity is part of the English script's fault. I don't know Japanese, but it might be that the RepliCant version has more explicit or specific instructions and English just got translated as 'go to the beach', which doesn't seem like a major issue until you realize that, well... two beaches. Whoops.

Either way, it's confusing, yes. Not game destroying (unless you're that... one reviewer) but confusing.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

The fishing minigame itself is also just really annoying,

Now that's definitely subjective. I actually found fishing pretty easy and fairly relaxing-- a lot simpler and more pleasant than most fishing minigames out there, too. Although I imagine it leaves a bad taste if all of your experience comes from trying to fish in the wrong spot.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Pasteurized Milk posted:

When I think of a sequel to this game, I think of something like Kirby's Dream Course but played with Emil's head.

I still stand by a Katamari Damacy crossover.

And hey, so long as I'm here.

Happy premature Halloween, everybody.

NonsenseWords fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 29, 2012

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
I'm sorry to double post, but I have to ask; has anybody taken up the mantle of translating the last of the short stories? (Particularly The Stone Flower, as that one barely even has a summary to reference, and I know people here can do a far better job than the one on GameFAQs. Even if it just a summary at this point).

For reference, from the last page:

Pesky Splinter posted:

The Stone Flower:

The Witches Sabbath:

Ending E - The Lost World:

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Mug posted:

You're not half way yet.

The DLC makes it incredibly easy to find of the most insanely low drop-rate items. I think it's like Eagle Eggs and maybe something else. I don't think Titanium Alloy is one.

Titanium Alloy is one. I think the big ones are the Eagle Eggs and Rusted Metal Clumps (which you'd otherwise have to do a lot of fishing for), and some pretty random goods. Last time I ran there I would up with Flourite and Moldavite and a Crystal and it's really good for farming some rare stuff yeah.

I'm not sure if the combat challenges in the DLC are worth the price, that's really dependent on you, but if you're going for Platium those drops are godsends.

...although some of the other things from the DLC might be randomly worthwhile. It also gives you some extra costumes, some... interesting bullet effects, and a minigame where you drift a boar into sheep and punt them hundreds of feet through the air.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Mug posted:

It's just a pre-recorded moaning sound with a bit on an "n" in it.

I believe it was roughly determined that he's actually saying "Kaine", but all the audio going on over it distorts it enough that you could feasibly hear another name, if that's what you're listening for.

HD Drakengard would certainly be a thing. I'm torn as to whether I'd want to actually experience that personally, though; the plot is so marvelously deranged and batshit that the LP is fun to read, but the actual gameplay is such a slog that I can't really see trying to give it a go just for the promise of that insanity.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

You can use Utautai song powers when you bathe in blood which pushes your fighting power to the limit.

I admit it. I laughed way too hard when I read this. It is so marvelously over the top and I can't help but love it.

I hope this turns out to be cavia insane instead of just grimdark and bland. Singing while taking a blood shower is suggesting some good things, though.

Seriously though this is just bizarre. Drakengard? Really? That's a... that's a thing to make another sequel to for some reason.
I hope the number in the title is misleading and it's actually based on Ending B or something instead of being a sequel to Drakengard 2.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

"I was against it until pretty much the end," Shiba added. "The hero's a woman and there's this flower on her, and I thought that may have turned off series fans."

Psh. Yeah. A woman with a flower on her.

Who'd want to see that?

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Nyagato posted:

It's funny how even Yoko Taro seems to not be sure if it's that interesting to play.

But he's sure that it'll end up extremely weird, so we're all good.

TurnipFritter posted:

It is honestly a thing. It's being written by Jun Eishima (who wrote some Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Quest novels) and drawn by "IsII". Yoko Taro is listed as the "supervisor" for what that's worth.

I can't tell if this is terrible or amazing so I'm going to bet on both.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

But eagle eggs are pretty fast if you know what you're doing.

Or have the DLC. Which also makes Rusted Clumps a non-issue.

But as for fishing them up... have you finished all of the fishing sidequests? Rusted Clumps are very high-end fishing material and if you don't have considerable fishing ability can be nigh impossible to reel in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
My assumption was that, since it was mentioned somewhere that the Ending E in Grimoire NieR was supposed to be a playable epilogue (or at least it was in the original treatment), you could conceivably build a game around Kaine and Emil going on a quest to figure out what's up with their missing memories and subsequently having to figure out how you're supposed to fight a giant gently caress-off mecha-tree that commands hoards of robots and decides 'reset the system' means 'kill everyone'.

Alternatively, aliens.

Alternatively alternatively, I think Yoko Taro mentioned that he had ideas for the prequels to the games such as the fight against Legion and the battle against the final Red-Eyes to finish the world purification, which would also be awesome.

• Locked thread