Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
What's the length on this game look like? How long would it take to get the first ending or two, roughly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Oh man, if any company knows what I want in a game, it's Cavia "Sliding Box Puzzles" :3:

I kid, though. This is the best JRPG I've ever played. It's even good for a western RPG

EDIT: I love how retarded Kaine looks when she runs

Cyrai fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 7, 2010

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Rei_ posted:

I'm actually looking forward to Id's take on the game. The other game's he's played through have allowed for him to actually CREATE a lot of their personality where none was before. But in this a lot of the characters not only have personality, but seem to say a lot of the same stuff in idle conversations that I could see Id normally writing in himself.

That said, my roommate and I are playing through this game together and she says she has a hard time relating to the MC, despite everyone else. He doesn't seem to have a lot of character himself, she says. I'm wondering if she's right. She's had an easier time relating to War in Darksiders because he WAS so bland, but Nier himself seems to be in a middle ground between fully fleshed out and a blank slate, just enough development to make it hard to put yourself in his shoes.

By MC, I assume you mean the main character. If so, I relate to him well enough. He cares deeply for his daughter, obviously. He's also an optimistic man who respects and thinks the best of other people. I actually relate to him more than most RPG characters just because he's so unique

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Does anyone else think that that bad guy you meet looks almost exactly like The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

UselessLurker posted:

I bet the protagonist seems a LOT less sympathetic and righteous now, eh?

Not really. I haven't finished Part 2, but the Shades didn't have to keep attacking you. I don't feel the least sorry for the shades in The Aire, because the Man only came because they wrote him a drat letter

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
What do you have to do to get endings B, C, and D. B is beating the game twice, right?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Crowbear posted:

It's in the OP.

I thought I read the whole thing :downsbravo:

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Does the game try to pronounce what you name the main character near the end?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
When (ending spoilers)Emil says your name in text as he dies, Emil says something in the audio, and it sounds almost exactly like what I named my character, Cyrai. Which will really impress me, if that's the case, because people usually mispronounce Cyrai in real life

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

jannik posted:

No there isn't anything new on your 3rd/4th playthrough. I sat and watched every scene once again on my 3rd playthrough like an idiot, so you're safe to skip everything until the last 15 minutes basically.

Are C&D really worth getting? My rental is up today, and I either have to power through, which I can do, or just keep it a few days extra

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Thanks for the tip! We farmers need to help each-other! The fortune teller gauntlet is GREAT for farming materials from shades (like Broken wristwatches, bats, saws), and is actually pretty fun to play, but you need to find all keys before she (and/or her quest) shows up. The roof of the Lost shrine is great for broken earrings

By the way - can you use the books (school book, used coloring book etc.) you find on shades for something or are they just there to drive home the fact that you're slaughtering kids in the thousands?

You can sell the books. Since you get so many of them, you can get a decent chunk of change. Also, I like how all the shades in the Notrthern Plains have a parent to make sure the kids don't get lost when they're out for their walk

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Notinghamington posted:

Here's a clue,
Look in a place, where old records are kept.

Not a clue you missed, something you aren't thinking of. Think of the black Scrawl, about project Gestalt, and about the whole point of the game, saving your daughter from the black scrawl... remember, this is the disease that wiped out humanity.

You won't really know the answers the first playthrough. By the time you get there in ending B, you have more of an idea as to why the answers are what they are

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Policenaut posted:

So after playing the DLC, I think I've come up with an apt subtitle for it.

"The World of Recycled Vessel: Everything is Caim and Red's fault"

Please explain further

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Chopsticks posted:

Does anyone know where I might find machine oil? I've checked most of the shops I have access to and logic would dictate that it would be in the Junk Heap, but after exploring nearly every inch of that dungeon and killing countless robots I've turned up nothing. The answer will probably make me kick myself, but any leads would be appreciated.

I found it most commonly on the flying robots, especially when I equipped a weapon/magic that had a high item drop rate

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Jackie D posted:

So out of curiosity, what's the typical playthrough length for this? I need to decide if this is a rental or not.

You can reasonably play through all the real content in the game in about 20 hours without really missing content. You might have to watch endings C and D on youtube, but it's about five total minutes of extra gameplay and one decision. I rented it and completed it to my satisfaction in a rental

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Xythar posted:

By the way, I made a clear recording of what Emil says after the second battle with you-know-who so we can lay this thing to rest once and for all. Obviously don't listen to this unless you've at least gotten to ending A. Sorry for the file format, blame Apple :colbert:

http://www.notesmash.org/dropbox/emil-spoilers.m4a

As you can see, although the subtitles show whatever name you entered for yourself (e.g. Nier), he says "Kaine". I have no idea if it's just a script error or intentional :psyduck:

It's a shame really, because I was hoping they'd gone and licensed a text-to-speech engine solely to say the player's name out loud in one cutscene where half the people playing won't even notice it but the other half would be freaked the gently caress out. It's exactly the kind of thing Cavia would do :(

That makes a lot of sense, yeah. My name, according to me, is pronounced SIgh-ray, which is pretty similar to how they pronounce Kaine

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Renoistic posted:

That explains why Nier didn't actually loose an eye when he lost the first battle against Shadowlord. That part always bothered me. Old Nier got an eyepatch for no reason while young Nier just got older. Pretty interesting but they could have added a small scene of old Nier getting cut in the face or something. I must say I'm glad they decided on creating old and ugly Nier :unsmith: I really liked the character and I doubt the game would've been as emotionally involving with young Nier as protagonist.

By the way, has anyone read the official Nier comics? They're absolutely awful, bordering on parody, but they do add some tidbits about the game's setting and Nier's past. And pretty much spoils several of the game's plot twists, so don't read them if you haven't beaten at least ending A.

VVVVVVVV Yeah, that too.

I just assumed he lost the eye in a completely unrelated fight in the intervening years. I thought it was a nifty way of showing the progression of time, myself

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Little disappointed that I'm already almost halfway through and I only have 4~ hours clocked

I too was wondering where that was until I found out that you unlock it by doing that one woman's quest to bring her 3 tulip bulbs from Seafront. You expand it by doing another one where you bring her 3 Bounty Fertilizers. It's worth the effort because she also becomes a store and you make double the money you spend.

You're about a third of the way through the first ending. Then you're get an extra 1/3 of the game added on for ending B, and you do get ending B. But yeah, you can complete the majority of the game in 20 hours. But it's a really good 20 hours

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Project Oni posted:

Alright, not bad. I can see myself getting into NIER. It doesn't sound like a spectacular title, but definitely something worth sticking with. Thanks.

That book is a funny guy.

That sort of stuff is the real reason the game is worth a playthrough. The characters are head and shoulders above almost any other RPG and justify the playthrough themselves. In my opinion, the rest of the game is serviceable, nothing more, nothing less. Well, except the music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Wasn't the conflict in Facade Part Two supposed to be that the wolves and the humans occupy the desert but there was only enough resources in the desert to support one of the sides?

That's the main reason I didn't really care about that conflict. Coexistence wasn't really possible. Yeah, it sucked for the wolves that they lost, but it wouldn't suck any less for the humans if they lost.

• Locked thread