Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime

One Legged Cat posted:

and the ladder climbing animation is kinda slow
Tap X to jump up faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime

Internet Friend posted:

Repostin' for the new thread: Most of the sidequests are super boring, but there are only four you NEED to do to get all the endings. All of these are in the second half of the game:
Killing the huge shade by the bridge, given by the guy walking around by the north gate of the village.
The treasure map quest, given by the village blacksmith.
Killing the shades in the desert temple, given by the King of Facade after you've done the kill all the bandits quest for a guard by the entrance of Facade. This may have to be done after you get the Facade key piece as well.
I think you missed one. There's a fortune teller in the forest that needs an orb from the roof of the temple. When you give it to her, she sends you to the downtown area from the opening where you get the lead pipe.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime

UselessLurker posted:

I went the opposite route and didn't bother upgrading my items at all. It's totally not necessary unless you're playing on Hard mode or something, in general the weapons you can buy and your magic will carry you through just fine.
I did this as well and had an awesome time with the game. I just don't get why some people do the grindy side-quests or bother upgrading weapons and then complain about those aspects of the game.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime

ImpAtom posted:

Really can't see myself buying DLC after the D ending. Kinda wonder if they shot themselves in the foot with that.
That's why I backed up my saves beforehand.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime
No there isn't anything new on your 3rd/4th playthrough. I sat and watched every scene once again on my 3rd playthrough like an idiot, so you're safe to skip everything until the last 15 minutes basically.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime

TheOriginalEd posted:

Or if I start over again after doing everything else with a new save will doing those quests in a new game contribute to the total? Sigh it would suck to miss out on like 3% because I got caught up in the story...
The NG+ starts you off past the point of no return. So if you care about getting 100% load an earlier save.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime
Well that kind of sucks. Nier was my first Cavia game too :ohdear:

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I paid 60 for this game you scrubs!

:smithicide:
I paid $65 for my copy at launch, and to be honest I would have gladly paid $100 for it had I known how amazing it was going to be. 2010 was a pretty good year, but Nier (Bayonetta and Deadly Premonition too) are the only games I still think about and would consider replaying a few years later.

Also I've said this before but dad Nier owns and I think a father/daughter relationship is much more believable and works better on an emotional level as opposed to a brother/sister one. And I say this as someone who does not likely big burly men (nor thin pretty boys), but prefers "normal" Nathan Drake type characters in his videogames.

And screw any Kaine haters out there, even if she had 10 cocks I'd still love her :swoon:

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime
That's true, but well written characters could still come across as lovely ones if the voice actors were horrible. Luckily Nier had some of the best VA work I've heard outside of Uncharted.
I know some people had a problem with Emil, but there's no denying that dad Nier, Kaine and Weiss were all amazing.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime
^ The only point of no return is the first time you go to a certain mansion where everything is black and white, and you won't be able to do the earlier side quests after that part. I can't remember how far this is into the game, maybe like 10h? I think it's possible to finish 51% of the side quests before that point.

KamikazePotato posted:

Of course, they ended up making him really likable and his death scene was so goddamn sad.
What death scene? :colbert:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but are there any other RPGs out there like Nier? What I mean is games with heart, where it's obvious that the people who worked on it really tried to make something special and not just another generic FF clone. Any platform is fine, but I'd prefer something from this generation.

jannik fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime
I remember looking at Tales of Vesperia a few months ago, but deciding to wait for the English PS3 version. Guess that's not coming out anytime soon, so maybe it's time I check out the 360 one instead.

• Locked thread