Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

mango sentinel posted:

A handsome OP Way to leech a dozen imags. I'm sure by the time i post this 3 other people will have also pointed you to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3240012&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Way to read the thread you're linking to, guys; we discussed making a new thread for it in the thread itself. :jerkbag:

OP looks good - just fix up the image leeching and you're golden. Rei's links should do fine. In the future, don't forget that you can just go to Waffleimages and paste in the URL of the image you want to link to, and it'll automatically mirror it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

The best thing about this game is hearing WEISS YOU DUMB-rear end every time you start it up.

The worst thing is that it doesn't properly reverse the O/X buttons on a JPS3 so after I get to the main menu I need to remember to press X to select "Continue", then O to select my savegame. Then it's O to examine things in the field but X to select stuff on the menu.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 1, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Okay, so. Fishing: what the gently caress? I'm trying to get that one fish that you need to get to progress the plot, right when fishing becomes available. I failed at it something like 20 times, then finally landed... a piece of seaweed. And then another piece of seaweed. A few failures later I had finally hooked something big, pulled it in and got... a rusty bucket.

After that I went back to failing. I think I saw the actual fish a few times, I'm assuming that's the one where the gauge barely goes down and I take off maybe 5% of it before the fish escapes. I gave up for tonight after spending like half an hour failing horribly to catch a fish.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Pro-tip - don't read the trophy descriptions. I did :(

Yeah the 'time trial boss fight' ones are kinda spoilery in their descriptions, to say the least.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I really like the gameplay actually, I've fought like 3-4 bosses so far (intro doesn't count) and they were all fun as hell. As I mentioned elsewhere, I wish the bosses in games like Darksiders were this good.

Only part that drags on is the fetch-questing of which you don't need to do a whole lot for the storyline.

It's really nothing like DMC at all in my opinion.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I just got Kaine and she follows me around and fights things.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Also those partners can actually get killed if they take enough hits, early on Kaine died a lot because she kept running into that giant monster in the Southern Plain

That guy's a loving jerk, I tried to fight him earlier and he one-shot me :argh:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Dominic White posted:

I'm surprised at the number of people who are basically saying 'I bought this game without really knowing what it is, and I am confused and angry now'. It's a Cavia action-RPG a confirmed to be a followup to Drakengard. You don't go into something like that expecting technical mastery or perfectly tuned gameplay. You go in expecting style, atmosphere and that strange vibe that you only get from games that genuinely feel like an individuals vision, rather than something designed to a list of bullet-points.

Yeah that's one thing I really like about this, with the varied gameplay and all the little self-aware references it feels like it was made by people who genuinely like games, not just people concerned with playing it as safe as possible to maximise profits.

There was this one Dutch review on Metacritic that apparently said it had "absolutely no originality". Yeah, Zelda style action RPGs with bullet-hell elements where you can do drift turns while riding a giant boar are a dime-a-dozen these days, I played like 3 of them just last week :rolleyes:

edit:

Ddraig posted:

Just a reminder, this is the only game of recent times that allows you to powerslide a pig and punch sheep in the face with a giant red fist.

:hfive:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Oh man, getting the gardening trophy in this is gonna be fun, I mean just read this poo poo
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/nier/48284-nier-trophy-guide-road-map.html#post721431

It's like breeding a gold chocobo all over again.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

On the topic of funny statuses, I saw another friend of mine playing this on PSN and I noticed that his status said "I don't think anything else could surprise me at this point". Moments later it changed to "...Okay, that was surprising."

Whoever wrote all these probably had some fun

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Facade is crazy but so awesome.

gently caress that room in the Barren Temple where you can't run or use magic, though. gently caress it so hard.

Boss was worth it however.

Also, I was getting a major Ocarina of Time vibe from the whole desert area (not to mention the whole "find a bratty kid inside a dungeon who then gets separated from you" thing) so when I beat the boss and the kid showed up again, hoisting his mask above his head with the Zelda pose and sound I just about died laughing. This game rules.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

It's not like the game makes you fight wave after wave of enemies for half an hour just to get to the next boss, though. There honestly hasn't been all that much combat so far compared to your average brawler like God of War or even Darksiders. I'm playing it on Easy though and that probably helps, regular enemies go down pretty fast while bosses are still a satisfying challenge.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

The Forest of Myth is brilliant. That was done so well.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I recommend games that I like. I have no way of knowing what other people like so I don't consider it my job to tailor my recommendations to people unless I know them very well. They can read the facts and decide for themselves.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

And you recommend Star Ocean 4! See what horror you've wrought, Xythar? :colbert:

I have yet to see anyone make a convincing argument as to why SO4 is a bad game, every complaint I hear about it is just anime anime anime blah blah blah. You yourself said that story comes secondary to gameplay, and SO4 even provides you with convenient summaries when you skip all the cutscenes.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

UselessLurker posted:

Welch.

Not a gameplay complaint.

And according to the game I am the World's Biggest Welch Fan so I will have to take issue with that :argh:

Megaflare posted:

To be fair, he only says "the beach" and there is a giant red x on your map that you, I and apparently a ton of people decided to not look at. Obviously there is a deficiency here or so many people wouldn't make the same mistake though.

Yeah as it turned out that was the mistake I was making too.

Policenaut posted:

I love NIER status updates. I hope some aspie with their own Wikia is transcribing all of these because I'd love to read them all later.

"NIER Rules, rules, rules, rules! What a pain in the [SPOILER]!"

Hahaha is [SPOILER] really a part of the quote, that is awesome

Xythar fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 3, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

It seriously was, saw a friend playing the game around the first visit to Facade and it made me laugh. It was great, I wonder what the ones for the end of the game are like. Probably like "[SPOILER] [SPOILER] is [SPOILER]?!"

I bet there they were just using it because you probably can't swear in game status messages.

YOTC posted:

Just for note, you can't run but you can so dodge roll directly across the room.

Yeah that's how I managed in the end (that and blocking) but it's still a pain in the rear end, especially when you accidentally nudge the stick a little too hard.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Star Ocean 4's gameplay, like most Tri-Ace titles, gets ridiculously broken at higher levels to the point where combat involves spamming a few boring abilities over and over again. Unlike the better-made Tri-Ace games, however, I think the mechanics actually devolve as you get further into the game and start getting more broken abilities. Tri-Ace is about making broken games, yeah, but how they break really alters things.

Not until the postgame, really, and by that point figuring out the best way to break the game is half the fun. And as you said, that's nothing new really for Star Ocean g-PEAR INTO PEACHES

Der Shovel posted:

I realize I'm at the beginning of the game still, but so far I'd agree with you. This is a game caveats were designed for.

No, it's a game designed by caveats.

Wait, I don't think that's the right spelling...

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I did that too but at least I continued with the game when I realised I was wrong :colbert:

Change thread title to NIER: Fish at the lighthouse, not at the pier!

edit: bahahaha he spent an hour trying to fish in the wrong spot

Oh man that video is hilarious, especially the ending.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 4, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Dominic White posted:

It's quite surreal seeing something this small and simple breaking the brains of so many people.

It's something they probably should've caught during playtesting, I think.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

It is absolutely not Drakengard bad. Personally I think the gameplay is pretty varied, fighting regular mooks is a bit button-mashy (no worse than Darksiders though) but you do a lot more than that.

I couldn't stand Drakengard and I think this game is great.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Which section was in the Giant Bomb quick look?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah the one and only nitpick I'd make with the music is that some of the dungeon themes seem to be on a bit of a short loop, to the point where you get a little sick of hearing them by the time you reach the end of the dungeon. The other stuff is all great though.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

That's a great review.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

http://au.gamespot.com/ps3/action/nier/review.html 5.0 from Gamespot. What the heck?

They act like you spend the whole game doing fetch quests when they're mostly optional. I'd hate to see this guy try a Bioware RPG.

Also

quote:

A couple of sequences all in text are neat at first, but they last far too long, describing fantastical events that you'd rather be experiencing than reading about. (You'll long for Lost Odyssey's similar but far superior dream sequences.)

These parts that are done in text suck, but these parts done in text in a completely identical fashion in another game are way better.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Beyond that, "optional" shouldn't be an excuse for bad or unfun.

But... it is. Because you don't have to do it. So it's like it's not even there if you don't want it to be.

Tales of Vesperia had like the worst optional dungeon ever but I'm not going to hold it against the game because it's optional. I just skipped doing it entirely and got on with my life.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

OHGOD

Honestly I don't know if he even got the other endings, he mentions new game + briefly but never says anything in the review about multiple endings at all.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

But I'm not playing with an FAQ either :confused: There isn't even one available yet.

I did a few of the quests for fun and skipped over the rest because I didn't feel like it, still enjoying game.

The review doesn't even mention the fetch-questing is optional and paints an incorrect picture of Nier as a game where you have to run back and forth delivering various fresh produce for hours before you can progress with the story, when that actually isn't true at all.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Certain quests are required to get the game's alternate endings.

Which are also optional. I'll worry about those when the time comes, I certainly don't see them as impeding progress in the storyline right now.

Der Shovel posted:

Seriously: Nier does a criminally poor job of explaining many central mechanics. That's just plain poor game design.

The only thing I've found so far that the game did not explain adequately was the fishing, and really that was half the game and half me being a dumbass who didn't think to look at the quest marker on my map.

ImpAtom posted:

You know that most of these sidequests are optional because you read it here and someone warned you.

Um I know they're optional because the game didn't make me do them to progress. How would you even know the game has alternate endings if you're playing without any outside help?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

However, what you're arguing here is that you can go back. How do you know this? Considering the game has one point where all sidequests are permanently disabled, how do you know this won't occur and lock you out of something?

How are you meant to know there's a point of no return without outside help? If you're going to get enough help to know it exists, you'll probably also find out that none of the weapons are missable.

ImpAtom posted:

The game tells you upon finishing it.

By which point you have already made the decision to not waste time with the optional sidequests.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The game does not tell you specifically which quests get you weapons. That is the problem with the argument against "optional."

I'm glad we've now cleared this up to the point where the word "optional", previously defined as "something you are not required to do", now actually means "something you don't know whether you need to do or not without using an FAQ".

This argument is getting increasingly stupid but my point is basically this:

1) The only reason the optional fetch quests would bother someone is if they either had an OCD compulsion to do them all, or they were worried about missing an alternate ending.
2) The only reason you would be worried about missing an alternate ending is if you already read guides and spoiled aspects of the gameplay to yourself in advance.
3) If you read guides and spoiled aspects of the gameplay to yourself in advance, might as well learn which ones you need to do.

Basically if you go into the game with no knowledge at all, you'd have no reason to feel obligated to do the fetch quests.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

So would you argue that, say, everything in Symphony of the Night's Reverse Castle, or Portrait of Ruin's post-Sisters fight is optional content?

I haven't even played those, but if it's postgame content like the second quest in Zelda, or the postgame dungeons in Star Ocean anything, or Julius Mode in Dawn of Sorrow then yes I would.

Can we at least agree that the Gamespot review is deceptive in acting like the fetch quests are a compulsory part of the storyline? With quotes like this:

quote:

You get the impression that 10 hours of promising content was mercilessly stretched into a 30-hour marathon of fetch quests and squandered potential.

it'd be hard for any reader to assume otherwise.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 4, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

In SotN, you have to find two items to access a hidden area. In doing so, you find a pair of glasses that alter the "final boss," and allow the game to continue onwards into an entire second upside-down version of the castle where the plot continues and situations are resolved that are not resolved in the main plot. Would you say this is optional?

Yeah probably, especially if it just reuses the whole castle like that, and especially if you can just finish the game and get to the credits without doing it (by not finding the glasses I assume). I'd have to play it to see.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that's your choice, but most people would strongly disagree with you. It is over half the game's content and features new bosses, items, enemies and content that is not present in the main castle, as well as an actual resolution to the plot. It's 'optional' insomuch as you will get the credits to roll if you don't find the item, but it isn't optional if you want access to most of the game's content or resolution to plot.

To use an example you might agree with more: Think about Persona 4. Think about a series of choices required in Persona 4 that you have to get correct or else the game goes to its bad ending. Do you consider everything that comes after that optional?

But how is the reviewer supposed to know that they're not compulsory, especially when some are? That's the point.

So are you saying that a reviewer's ignorance is a valid excuse for factually misleading information in their review?

Say someone wrote a review of Persona 4 blasting it for "the game builds up promisingly, but then ends abruptly with little resolution and a disappointingly easy final boss battle". Or, assuming that the inverted castle has half the gameplay and story in SotN, if someone reviewed that as "the game is too short and too many threads in the storyline are left hanging". Would you accept that as "well, the game didn't make it completely obvious that this content existed, so they're excused for not knowing"?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

at least verdelet isn't in the game

They'll add him as DLC.

You know, I think it's pretty :3: that the way you save your game is by writing letters to your sick daughter about all the places you visit.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Best moment so far (with the exception of Kainé's assless pants): the prince finding the royal mask. Holy Zelda tribute!

Question, though: does anyone have a good method for fighting wolves? I'm trying to do the Little Hero sidequest which involves finding a wolf lair and it's a grim loving deathmarch.

Charged-up Dark Hand is my strategy for pretty much everything so far, that included.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

On easy it lasts all of 20 seconds :v:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Dantes posted:

It is grindy, but it is very easy to platinum/1000gp.

Compare with things like Disgaea or White Knight Chronicle if you want real punishment.

For an RPG maybe, but after reading the list of weapon upgrades I think I've lost all my will to plat this (and I got plat in FF13). There's 30 weapons and each one has to be upgraded 3 times, that's 90 upgrades with each one requiring a whole bunch of items that you need to grind for. Adamantoise farming sounds fun by comparison.

Honestly, if not for the weapon upgrade trophies I would probably give it a shot. It's kind of funny that the trophies for doing sidequests only go up to 30, but for weapon upgrades you need to do every. single. one.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 5, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Where do you get the Eagle Eggs then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Holy poo poo I caught a 900 pound catfish

How did that thing not snap the fishing rod in two :psyduck: