Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mug
Apr 26, 2005
All the images in the OP are leeched, hahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Just finished and got the first ending, fantastic, going straight back in for more.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Just got ending B then completed World of Recycled Vessel. Can you buy the soundtrack for the DLC anywhere? Someone has uploaded it all to youtube and I wanna know where they got it from.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Veotax posted:

Last time I checked, it was upon iTunes. Don't know if it's still there though.

None of the Nier soundtrack is on the Austrlaian iTunes store. Can you check if it's on your local one for me?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Veotax posted:

It's up on the UK iTunes store. Must be some regional bullshit.

Wait, is the DLC soundtrack on UK iTunes? Can you buy it for me and email me the MP3s or something if I PayPal you some dollars? Can you even do that with iTunes?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
In regards to Kaine Is there any point in the game where it is revealed she has a dick? Other than the bully saying "Why you acting like a girl?"

Also, is your character's name ever actually revealed to be Nier by any default sense? I was confused as to why everyone in this thread was calling him Nier, I thought that was just a random word for the name of the game.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Brackhar posted:

Yes, use the Kabuki costume from the DLC. It's really obvious.

ladybuldge

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Wow, this is amazing!

Due to the massive fan request, Square-Enix is releasing a second Nier soundtrack on December 8th, comprised of arranged versions of songs from the game (visit the site for a preview!) as well as the 15 Nightmares DLC tracks. Details for the physical release are here on Amazon Japan, expect maybe a USA iTunes release?

I'll have to import this, so it can join my Nier family. Gestalt, Replicant, Grimoire, and OST 1 have a new brother!
ffffffffffffffuck yes

I've got the aussie version of Nier, and Replicant is on the way. I'll hopefully plat Nier before that one arrives. Gonna pick up both OSTs for sure.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
So I've gotta get the "Upgrade 15 weapons" and "Upgrade 30 weapons" trophies and then it's pretty much platinum done (just need ending D and 15 hour finish but those are easy). This is gonna be a long grind. Got the weekend before Replicant shows up.

edit: The DLC makes some of the item grinding a bit less painful, I hear the eagle eggs used to take hours before, now you get 1 per DLC playthrough.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
There's a two hander sword you get from the DLC called Fool's Lament that just 1 hits everything in the game including most bosses, I use that for everything.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I just did "Use Best" for every word option.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
If the game detects that you have the platinum for this game and also the platinum for Replicant, you get to see the secret ending where a bunch of nude babies do things I don't know

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I've decided that Forlorn Necklaces are a myth. They do not exist.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

The flying shade bastards in the Desert right? Set the game to hard, memorize where all 3 of them spawn (one by the sand dunes near Facade, one by the dunes to the far west near the cliff/stairs, one in the middle of the sandstorm) and have that +30% Drop rate thing ready to go.

Forlorn Necklaces are next to Broken Earrings as the worst materials to get in the game.

I have a few broken earrings but I think the flying dude drop metal piercings. I only need 1 of those. I need 6 forlorn necklaces and apparently the magic casting humanoid shades drop them. There's an infinite respawn of them ontop of the forgotten temple at the end game buy I grinded on them for an hour and a half and none of them dropped.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Oh poo poo, those guys. Yeah, I remember that being like at least a 2 hour affair when I did Replicant. All I can say is Hard Mode, +30% drops, and uh I guess some patience. I think it took me like 6 hours on USA Nier when playing Normal to get all the things I needed from those Shaman Shades.

On Hard it takes me a fair while to down those shades even with the DLC 999% damage sword. Is the droprate really that much higher on hard?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Please tell me that this isn't necessary for all the endings. :ohdear:

It's not at all, there's just a trophy for upgrading every weapon.

edit: What are those fountain things in the desert that just say "It's not working right now" or something?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I'm not entirely sure, the game's director claims the drop rate is improved on Hard. I tried it on Replicant and got the stuff from those magic shades in 2 hours vs. the 6 it took me in Gestalt so there's that anecdote.

I don't remember them taking that many hits to bring down in any case, like 4 or 5 blows with the phoenix spear. Weird.

On hard, everything gets harder and harder the more loops through the game you do. I've done ending C twice so it's probably a bit harder for me.

edit: Well, I had planned to platinum this this weekend, looks like that was a bust. More grinding than I expected.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

In the DLC "15 Nightmares" there's an on-rails FPS sequence.

Does anything happen if you kill everything in that? I missed one guy and couldn't be hosed trying again.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

There's also the top down minecart parts in the Junk Heap, but I'm not really sure what to categorize those as.

It seems like a parody of top down space shooters really, or Raiden/Raptor with all the turrets and poo poo on the walls.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I haven't done ending D yet. I have to do C one more time to get one more Broken Pottery because you can't get them at the endgame, gently caress. After that I've got the plat though so woo.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Played through the first half of the game, thinking "this doesn't seem that depressing, not sure what people were talking about".

Then I got through the second half :( although at least the ending was somewhat happy, since both father/daughters got reunited

Now starting New Game+ and I'm already blown away.

The scene after the credits is a flashback to before the game started.

After ending A, Yonah still has the black scrawl and probably dies pretty soon after.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait are you sure? The scrawl is the gestalt relapsing, and since the "real" Yonah said she no longer wanted to take her body back doesn't that mean it should fade away?

Not like anything is explained very clearly other than everything is dar your life sucks death to this gay earth

Have a read of Grimoir Nier. It's really good.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I just got the "Every weapon upgrade" trophy at the 70 hour mark. Probably took me WAY longer than it should have, I'm not sure. Just working on that speedrun now.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

No, no that's just about the right amount of time invested.

"Invested" may not be the right word for this thing we do.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Just finished the game in <15 hours loving finally. This platinum is taking me way longer than it should have. Now time for ending D and that's it.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
There, it's done. A platinum and the final ending. That was a great adventure.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I got Replicant yesterday, and Enslaved and the new Castlevania, tomorrow i get New Vegas and Vanquish.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Spiffo posted:

Is there any way to redo the "Ballad of the Twins" quest early-game? I did it once but I was wondering if I could get them both to sing again.

Nah, but the song is on the soundtrack.

edit: here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS--hp1mFYA

Mug fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 21, 2010

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

AuntJemima posted:

Onto second play through for Ending B. Do any scenes change during the 2nd half again or is it all pretty much the same?
Also I've read a couple posts about reading Grimoire Noir and it being a good read. Do I get the book after a certain ending or is there something I must do.

In your 2nd playthrough there's a lot of new stuff in the 2nd half of the game.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

GreenNight posted:

If I copy my saves to a memory card will ending D delete those too?

Also gently caress playing ending b on Christmas. God drat it.

You can back them up.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

inset posted:

I decided to go for the platinum.. Eagle eggs.. :f5h::stare:

Looking forward to those flying dudes in the desert!

The DLC throws eagle eggs at you. You still have to spam the desert guys though.

I got the Plat in Gestalt, haven't started Replicant yet.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

TechnoRobot posted:

Ok, cool, I just finished the last fishing quest, the runaway son, and the flourite quest in facade, and I can't find any more quest bubbles over anyone's head but I'm just being safe to make sure I'm not missing anything :v:

You can platinum the game without doing 100% quests, by the way.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

GUI posted:

How does item grinding in this game work? I'm going to start looking for black pearls soon. If I don't find any in the marked spots on Seafront, can I reload from my last save from the options menu or will the results always be the same? I've heard that you actually have to quit the game back to the PS3 XMB then start it again and load your save file if you want a better chance at getting them.

How does the game handle the big robot spawns in the Junk Heap? Going from one area to another then returning just causes the game to spawn regular weak robots instead. The only solution seems to be leaving the Junk Heap itself then entering again, which means I have to go through that tedious on-rails section every time. Can I just save my game in the room before the boss fight then load it to get the big robots to respawn?

Is there any fast way of killing the flying shades in the desert or do I have to sit there using the dark blast? They float so fast I tend to miss most shots unless I'm really close. Those shields they use don't help either.

For black pearls, save in seafront and keep reloading. Don't quit out of the game, as soon as you collect all 5 shineys in seafront, open the game menu and reloat your save. Don't quit to XMB.

For big robots, save in the junkyard right before the hole you drop down. Save BEFORE you kill the big robot(s) in the area before the save point. Every time he drops a memory alloy (if that's what you need), you have to finish off the junkyard and start it again to get him to spawn again. If he doesnt drop one, reload.

I used Dark Lance to kill the flying guys. You get really good at hitting them with it after the first hour.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Residual Toast posted:

I also just beat A the other day after feeling unsettled the entire game.

Then I beat B, and faced the usual crippling depression until I got the the Shadowlord's castle. At, or maybe slightly before there it seemed to go from a slaughter to more of a war. And the "Oh no don't slaughter the children bit" seemed a bit over the top and just made me irritated. And the post ending bit was... weird.

Onto C and D, since I got all the weapons already.

Also everyone spergs about kaine being possibly a hermaphrodite, but that seems... dubious at best to me.
Her backstory says That everyone said she was different and not a real girl. Later, we find out everyone, or almost everyone, in Aerie is a shade. Isn't it possible that Kaine was ostracized because she was one of the few who weren't a shade?

The truth about Kaine is in the book, Grimoir Nier. She has a dick, it's not mentioned or even directly implied in the game. It's not really important. Nier also fucks people for money to support Yonah. It makes it funny when you read Yonah's diary page about "There must have been a shade around today because everyone was saying they wish Dad was around. I yelled 'Yeah he could kick that shades butt!'" Or something like that.

They joke is most likely that they wish he was around so they could pay him to do their boring chores, or maybe they wanted some sex.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't the prostitute bit refer to the original Nier, meaning the Shadowlord?

I don't think so.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Capitalism Bro! posted:

It is referenced in the game. Dimo asks her why she dresses like a girl, even when he knows she's not

Or something to that effect.

He doesn't go so specific as that. More just says "Why you dressed like that?"

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

samo posted:

gently caress subdued bracelets! I farmed over the course of 5 days:
9 hours over the first 4 days = 0 bracelets
42 minutes on day 5 = 3 bracelets!

Again with the forlorn necklaces, I farmed the lost shrine for a couple of days and got one bracelet. Found out they were drops in the northern plains, less than an hour for the last 3.

Well that means one more trophy, the speed run. I can't remember the first part of the game too well but this seems pretty easy. Are there any tips or where I should be at X hours?

You wont need tips, the game is easy as hell to do the speedrun.
So you've got the trophy for all the endings and stuff now, hey? I got the platinum and ending D at the same time. Did my speedrun before loading my Ending C save and finishing it off. Felt good.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

samo posted:

Yeah I figured it wasn't a problem, thanks. I wish I would have done my speed run before farming, I am kinda burned out.

Plus it would have been awesome to have "Are you sure you want to do this(x3)" -> delete everything -> credits -> **Platinum** -> shelve game for good.

-> Put in Replicant -> Start again

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
You one-hit every boss by the time you get to ending C/D anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Hal Incandenza posted:

So to get to endings C/D I just have to get all the weapons, not upgrade all the weapons, right?

I'm going to avoid trophy lists and spoilers and just get to business then!

Yeah you just need all the weapons, but you have to full upgrade them all for the plat.

• Locked thread