Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

A thread for the gear to stick your gear in. I could write up a much more detailed OP but it's easier if we just get people to chime in and state what they use and whether it works.

YOU MUST REALISE THAT WHAT WORKS FOR ONE PERSON MIGHT NOT WORK FOR ANOTHER. THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO GO INTO A SHOP AND TRY ON A BUNCH OF BAGS! Feel the weight, feel the straps and fit. If this is something you will be taking overseas and carrying around for a few weeks you want comfort over most everything else.

Bags - Generally the soft bags that have compartments for sticking in camera gear. You can get backpacks, messengre bags, shoulder bags, slings, soft cases or just use any other bag. Some are water resistant, some have covers and some can even float on water.

Off the top of my head the main big brands are

Lowepro
Crumpler
Tamrac
Kata

Something that some people dislike about the major camera bags is that it advertises they have a lot of expensive gear in that bag. Whether or not this bothers you is something to take into account. So branding can play a big part. You could always but a normal backpack and just get the protective inserts to put inside.

Each camera manufacturer usually also makes bags but in my experience they suck.

Cases - The hard ones that you will often see professionals or people who have to travel lots haul around.

Pelican cases are the big brand here. They are only ones I have had experience with and they are very good at protecting your stuff (although quite expensive). I've used them for video gear, electronics and anything I need to protect. They will withstand dropping from large heights and are watertight.

They come in a million sizes and varieties.

Housings - Generally a case that goes around the actual camera and allows it to go underwater.

I don't really know anything about these so if someone wants to do a write up I will put it in here.

Armour - Basically like a rubber or plastic covering that goes around your camera and lens.

Again I don't really use this and it seems fairly pointless unless you drop your camera lots of are working in a very harsh environment.

Straps - A replacement for the generic strap your camera comes with.

Theres lots to choose with and most will do a better job than the lovely one Canon/Nikon will give you. Also less conspicuous.

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
Domke J-1

My review is here

Everyone should get themselves a Domke bag.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

TsarAleksi posted:

Domke J-1

My review is here

This looks like a better version of the Tamrac shoulder bag I have:

The Tamrac is very nice, but has limited padding. The outside has a leather suede cover that is attractive and holds up to all kinds of abuse and doesn't show dirt. It is fine in the rain/snow/sleet/dust/etc. Mine now has a stain from somebody spilling red wine on it (that was not me). It can hold a large quantity of lenses using the default compartments, which I have never bothered to remove because they suit me perfectly. Each slot can hold a lens the size of a 70-200mm. But frequently, since I don't carry lenses that long, I can stack shorter lenses on top of each other, filling each slot with two lenses, (and sometimes 3 lenses), giving it a maximum payload of 6 lenses! This can get a little heavy so don't put six lenses in it.

This is meant to be a light travel bag and I really like it for this purpose.

The downside: It has a propensity to fall forward if you're stacking it with lenses. Gotta watch the bag if you're stacking. Also, it does not easily hold a pro body (or a body without a removable grip, at least), and that can be annoying. However, for most of my shooting the camera is around my neck the whole time so I don't care.

I think I might take a look at that Domke you have there Tsar, as it looks like it has some advantages mine is missing (like good padding and the ability to stick a pro body + lens inside. Plus you can still carry 3 lenses which is a good amount.)

I also have a f.64 bag that I picked up in a thrift shop for $5 in almost new condition. Great bag! Good padding, extremely sturdy build quality, but the layout inside sort-of throws me. It can hold a body and a lens, plus two other lenses, but it's sort-of awkward and wide so it makes lugging it around the shoulder somewhat odd.

Mfg link

I like this bag a lot, but I really only use it for lugging equipment around on shoots as a complimentary bag to my other shoulder bag or my backpack. It's great at storing LOTS of things, but is not ideal for day-shooting in my opinion.

Edit: The problem with your Domke is that it is wide like the f.64. I prefer slimmer bags. Nevertheless, I will check it out in a camera store because it looks like it could work.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 1, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I would be curious to hear from anyone who has Pelican cases and whether they like them. Which one do you use and how much equipment can you put in it? I was thinking of getting the 1510 Carry On Case but I'm not sure if foam is better or the dividers. Is this the case most photographers buy?

I wish it had bigger pictures of what it could hold because that would give me a good idea of whether it's worth using on big jobs instead of my Crumpler Whiskey and Cox (which is really not that great a bag).

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Mannequin posted:

I would be curious to hear from anyone who has Pelican cases and whether they like them. Which one do you use and how much equipment can you put in it? I was thinking of getting the 1510 Carry On Case but I'm not sure if foam is better or the dividers. Is this the case most photographers buy?

I wish it had bigger pictures of what it could hold because that would give me a good idea of whether it's worth using on big jobs instead of my Crumpler Whiskey and Cox (which is really not that great a bag).

I use them for video work. Usually got a couple this size http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_storm.php?Case=iM2200

The foam is better if you won't be changing your gear anytime soon. It feels sturdier. The biggest problem is they are a bastard if you are carrying around unlike a backpack. They are pretty drat heavy and these are only fairly small ones.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I bought a Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW recently for use on hiking trips and it's not bad. It can fit a 40D + 70-200/4, although I wish it was slightly larger or the buckle slightly longer as the setup only just fits with the hood unreversed if you twist the body sideways. There's also a weather cover that proved useful, at least on the last trip as it ended up snowing quite a bit, but don't expect to be able to put it on in a hurry.

You may want to consider the Toploader 75 AW (non-pro) which appears to have a larger front pouch that can fit an extra lens, although you can also strap a lens pouch on the side, which is what I ended up doing. One caveat is that the weather cover won't fit with any attachments.

Edit: forgot to mention that I also purchased the chest harness, which was disappointing as it doesn't fit too well.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 2, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah bag thread :toot:

In the case line, I'd like to give a shoutout to the Hardigg Storm Case, which in my limited experience, is every bit as strong as Pelican. That said, onto my stuff:

Lowepro Computrekker AW. This is a pretty big bag, no getting around that. This can easily handle both my bodies, and all 4 lenses with space for more. Also will handle my laptop and power cord, although it is only rated for up to a 15" computer, so those of you with huge laptops may be out of luck. If you have heavier gear (I shoot Oly so this is less of a problem), it does also have two straps to cross your hips and support the weight. As the name implies, it has an All-Weather cover tucked in the bottom and it works extremely well and will still allow use of the shoulder straps. Despite the size, it is just small enough for airline carry-on, and that is awesome. If you have a lot of stuff to haul, this is a great bag.

LowePro Inverse 100 AW. I use this mainly for my sporting events, and it can handle one body with lens attached, and 2 others, although this is a pretty tight fit. Those of you with the popular white lenses by either Canon or Nikon (I can't remember who makes them, but these things) might not be able to get it in here, but I can't say for certain. Obviously there isn't a ton of space here but for me it works great. I can take my E-30 body attached to my 70-300, along with a 40-150 and my 25mm f/2.8 prime and it all will juuussst barely fit. Using the hip straps takes a little getting used to, and if you don't need them, they will fold into the padded portion of the bag and there are two loops for a traditional shoulder strap, although this is a bit of an odd fit. Comes with the aforementioned AW cover.

Those who have bigger lenses may need a bigger bag, but then again, this isn't really designed for big stuff.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
I've got Canon's Camera Bag for ~$40 its a pretty sweet deal compared to most of the other bags I looked at.

The only issues are that it's nearly impossible to switch lenses on the fly, and of course the ever possible danger of picking up a not-zipped bag and losing glass. Still it's perfect for my needs, comfortable to wear for extended periods and it'll hold just about everything I'll ever use for what I shoot.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I have a fairly good collection of cases and bags going now.

This is my main workhorse bag. It's a Tamrac Expedition 6.

I couldn't recommend it more. It's not cheap, I think $185, but it holds practically everything I own at the moment, including a laptop for editing. It's super comfortable, really well padded and has tons of storage. The battery slots in the outer pockets are really nice too.

This is my mid-sized bag that I use when I shoot concerts. It's a Tamrac System 6.

I can't work with the backpack in a barricade, so this is my bag for shows. It's a pretty good mid-sized bag. Lots of nice little pockets, very durable. I've put it through about 5 good years of use and have had no problems.

The last of my bags is my compact bag, a Lowepro AW3.

I don't use this one all that much, but it's good if you only need a lens or two.

Now for my light travel gear. My two AB800's travel in comfy style in my Pelican 1610.

It's a pelican, it's a beast, these things sell themselves. I found a pretty good deal on it through a scuba diving site.

Then I have a SKB golf case to carry all my stands, tripod, cables, and other large objects when I have to take my gear on a plane.

Not too much I can say about this really since it's not designed to be photo gear. It works awesome though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rockcity posted:

Then I have a SKB golf case to carry all my stands, tripod, cables, and other large objects when I have to take my gear on a plane.

Not too much I can say about this really since it's not designed to be photo gear. It works awesome though.

Echoing the SKB love. I have one for my golf clubs and it is amazing. Customer service is very nice. The handle at the top got broken by an airline and in a 1 minute phone call they shipped me a new one free of charge.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

When I'm going hiking or climbing, I use my Lowepro Cirrus:

It's small and simple - there's the main camera compartment, an internal pouch for memory cards, and an external pouch. The really nice thing is that the belt loop is large enough to slide over the webbing portion of most hiking pack waist belts. In combination with a pack with two tool loops, like the one in the picture, you get a really nice, speedy system: camera on belt, ice axe on one loop, tripod on the other, which means fast setup without removing the pack.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DJExile posted:

Echoing the SKB love. I have one for my golf clubs and it is amazing. Customer service is very nice. The handle at the top got broken by an airline and in a 1 minute phone call they shipped me a new one free of charge.

Best part was I got it for $50 on craigslist.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I've got a Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW and I gotta say I really enjoy it, even loaded up with my camera, 4 lens's, flash, batteries/chargers and it's still comfortable to wear all day, The shoulder strap is a nice width and nicely padded. The zippers feel good and I haven't had any problems with the sticking or skipping teeth, it's also got a weather proof cover that's pretty easy to put on/put away. The "slingshot" feature is great, being able to take all my gear out without taking the bag off makes it that much quicker to get the camera out if I need to.

The compartments are pretty easy to arrange and you can fit a camera body with a 70-200 attached, but I've usually just got my 50/1.8 attached. There's also a nice little pocket on the top flap for holding extra SD/CF cards right when you open the zipper so you don't need to dig for them.

I'm probably going to upgrade to the 350 eventually though, as it's got a laptop pocket which would be super handy. But if you don't need/want to bring a laptop with you, I'd recommend checking out the lowepro Slingshot 200.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Excellent timing on the thread, OP. I'm just about to head over to my local camera shop and browse for bags for my Pentax K10D.

I'm looking for a holster, something that can hold my camera with my walk-around lens on it, and not be in the way while I'm doing something else. I'll be heading out for field work in the High Arctic in July, 6 weeks out in the polar desert (I'm a soil scientist; I study dirt). When I was chased off a beach by a polar bear a couple of years ago, I couldn't take a picture (to my everlasting shame) because to get at my camera would have meant putting down the gun. Even without large predators around, I'll be mostly busy with my hands, sitting down, standing up, moving around, and I want the ability to pull out my camera and get a shot quickly if something comes up. The rest of my gear (my other 2 lenses, for now) can be buried in my backpack.

a foolish pianist posted:

Basically, I want this, if my camera fits. I've also seen decent reviews of the LowPro Topload and Topload Zoom series, the LowPro Outback, Kata H- series holsters and C-5x series cases (they call them cases, but they're bags), and the Kata DH 423 / 425. The Crumpler 2 Million Dollar Home and the Tamrac Digital Zoom 4 also look like they might be suitable, along with the National Geographic "Walkabout Collection". We'll see what my local shop has on offer.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
I'll write up a review later but I just wanted to add a bag to the roller category:

The ThinkTank Airport International-- designed to fit into overhead compartments, this is a great mid-sized roller. It's really nice for packing everything you might need on a shoot-- my go-to bag for weddings and commercial assignments.

And, to wave that nerd flag:

The ThinkTank belt systems are great for working journalists.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TsarAleksi posted:

The ThinkTank belt systems are great for working journalists.
Funny you should mention ThinkTank. I'd never before heard of that brand, but I just bought one of their bags, a Digital Holster 20. The sales guy at my local store said he thought the company was founded by a few people who left LowePro.

Waffleimages appears to be down at the moment, so I'll just post a link, and you can marvel at the stereotypical photo nerd they put up as a picture of the user of this bag.

EDIT: I've never used a Pelican case for a camera, but I've used plenty of their cases for various pieces of scientific equipment (frickin' lasers!). Expensive, yes, but not nearly as expensive as replacing your nearly-priceless gear when you're out in the middle of nowhere. The downside is they're pretty heavy, and basically all are carried like a briefcase, which means they get tiresome and awkward pretty quickly. On the other hand, when you get tired you can literally drop the case whereever, in a puddle, on rocks, in mud, doesn't matter. If you're willing to compromise the watertight integrity, you can drill or cut through the hard plastic to mount stuff directly to the case; we did this with a set of pumps and electronic controllers / valves for our gas-measurement system. Plus, airports are familiar with Pelican cases, and the average security guard can do a quick check on one in under 30 seconds. The small- and medium-sized cases are of the same size and shape as normal suitcases, so baggage handlers like them, too.

EDIT 2: \/\/\/ I was pretty impressed by the price. The comparable LowePro offering, the TopLoad 50 (which didn't fit my camera quite as nicely), was only $5 cheaper. I paid $55 for my digital holster. I totally agree with you about the obvious thought and care in the design and build, though.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 1, 2010

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

ExecuDork posted:

Funny you should mention ThinkTank. I'd never before heard of that brand, but I just bought one of their bags, a Digital Holster 20. The sales guy at my local store said he thought the company was founded by a few people who left LowePro.

Waffleimages appears to be down at the moment, so I'll just post a link, and you can marvel at the stereotypical photo nerd they put up as a picture of the user of this bag.

The thing that I love about ThinkTank (and Domke) is that you can really tell how much care and thought go into both designing and building the bags. Of course you pay for it.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

TsarAleksi posted:

Domke J-1

My review is here

Could not agree more. I have an older Domke that my Dad bought quite a number of years ago and it's great. Looks like a pretty standard manbag of the WWII surplus variety but it's great for holding for all types of different gear. In mine I have my D90, N8008, 4 lenses, FED-2 rangefinder, a few rolls of film and a flash with off-camera cable. It's jammed pack but they all fit.

I am very picky when it comes to my bags and how they look and feel and the Donke is at the top of the heap.

I use a bigass Pelican case for all of my underwater stuff.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I just picked up a Black Rapid RS-4 today, and although it's a very well made product, I think I am going to return it. I use a vertical grip and having the swivel attached to the grip makes it difficult to hold. Also, attaching the swivel to the tripod collar on my 70-200/2.8 makes it difficult to use the vertical grip. If you don't use a grip it should work very well.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

TsarAleksi posted:

The thing that I love about ThinkTank (and Domke) is that you can really tell how much care and thought go into both designing and building the bags. Of course you pay for it.

Just looking at the specs of ThinkTank's equivalent, the Digital Holster 30, to Lowepro's Toploader 75, and I regret not purchasing a ThinkTank instead. The chest harness looks a lot more comfortable, and the pop down zipper thingy allows easy storage with the hood unreversed.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The equip I use:

Think Tank

I'm a big fan of Think Tank, they're very well designed and don't look hideous. I have the Airport Antidote Version 2, and I have pleeeenty of space (5D, 24-105, 24, 50, 85, flash, other random equip, and I still have extra room). I use it for my event bag, so that I can easily keep everything on my back. The laptop compartment is really nice and useful, it has it's own strap and separates. Expensive though.

Pelican

I use a pelican 1520, as my hard case, for shoots and fashion shows. Pros: Makes a good chair, it'll survive anything, could kill someone easily. Cons: heavy, wish I had gotten one with wheels. Carries all of my gear quite comfortably, but I don't have as much extra space as with the Think Tank.

Other:

Lowepro

I have a couple of Lowepro bags, one is a small toploader, the other is a medium sized rectangle-type shoulder bag. I'm not a big fan of either. They don't keep their structure well and crumple easy. They're also pretty ugly, and I feel they don't look as professional.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nonanone posted:

Pros: could kill someone easily.

I really need to use this more often as criteria for any of my equipment.

EDIT: Selling my Lowepro Inverse 100AW here

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 3, 2010

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I have a Lowepro FastPack 250 and a Nova 160AW:

The FastPack can take a full-sized laptop so my netbook does rattle about a bit, but aside from that its a great bag for my usage. Its just about the allowable maximum size for carry on baggage, fairly lightweight and fits my netbook, camera, lenses, filters plus all the cables/charges needed and room for a lightweight jacket. Ugly as sin though, not particularly comfortable to carry and not very waterproof though.

The smaller bag survived 4 months of backpacking with only the badge falling off, but it was a bit of a pain juggling that and a laptop bag so I decided an all in one was the way to go.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Rated PG-34 posted:

You may want to consider the Toploader 75 AW (non-pro) which appears to have a larger front pouch that can fit an extra lens, although you can also strap a lens pouch on the side, which is what I ended up doing. One caveat is that the weather cover won't fit with any attachments.

I think you may be referring to the Topload Zoom AW. I have that one and it's okay, but what really annoys me about it is the way the top flap unzips. The flap opens in a different direction than the 75 AW so zipping and unzipping the flap can be difficult when wearing the bag. Plus it doesn't have a quick-release buckle like the 75 AW. The outside pocket isn't that big either. I can fit a flash in there, maybe a few accessories or whatever, definitely not any extra lenses. What I tend to do is put a large lens pouch on the side for my 80-200, put a 17-50 on the camera and have my 11-16 sitting on the bottom of the bag with the lens hood for the 80-200.

bung posted:

I just picked up a Black Rapid RS-4 today, and although it's a very well made product, I think I am going to return it. I use a vertical grip and having the swivel attached to the grip makes it difficult to hold. Also, attaching the swivel to the tripod collar on my 70-200/2.8 makes it difficult to use the vertical grip. If you don't use a grip it should work very well.

Check google for alternatives. I saw one thing where someone rigged something up to attach the strap to the strap attachment point on the battery grip with cord to keep it easy to use in vertical position and to free up the tripod mount.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Mannequin posted:

Definitely get the dividers, the foam sucks unless you just have one giant piece of equipment to put in the middle. If you're wanting to put in lenses and bodies and lighting gear that will only have thin bits between them, the dividers are way way better.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I use a Pelican 1550 with a locking plate to attach it to the back of my motorcycle for transportation. In the case I can fit my tripod, 70-200 2.8 attached to my 7D, 2 flashes, 8mm 3.5, 17-50 2.8, macbook and some cables. The case is fantastic my only gripe with it is that it's heavy with all that gear in it.

For backpacking I use a Case Logic DSLR Holster and pack the 70-200 2.8 in a case logic lens bag.

BTW Steep and Cheap has been carrying Crumpler bags lately, it's a nice way to get them about 40% off.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

Definitely get the dividers, the foam sucks unless you just have one giant piece of equipment to put in the middle. If you're wanting to put in lenses and bodies and lighting gear that will only have thin bits between them, the dividers are way way better.

It definitely depends on what you're putting in there. If you're looking to maximize space then definitely go with dividers, but if you want protection and don't need to change things around a lot, the foam is way better. I use mine to my two AB800s and I would not feel comfortable with them in dividers when being tossed around by baggage handlers.

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

dissss posted:

I have a Lowepro FastPack 250 and a Nova 160AW:

The FastPack can take a full-sized laptop so my netbook does rattle about a bit, but aside from that its a great bag for my usage. Its just about the allowable maximum size for carry on baggage, fairly lightweight and fits my netbook, camera, lenses, filters plus all the cables/charges needed and room for a lightweight jacket. Ugly as sin though, not particularly comfortable to carry and not very waterproof though.

I am looking for a backpack that has the feature in the picture here where you can quickly bring the backpack around, unzip that compartment and pull the camera out easily. I looked at the fastpacks and the straps look really uncomfortable. Does anyone have any recommendations for backpacks with that feature that are more comfortable, and that can hold a laptop?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

slearch posted:

I am looking for a backpack that has the feature in the picture here where you can quickly bring the backpack around, unzip that compartment and pull the camera out easily. I looked at the fastpacks and the straps look really uncomfortable. Does anyone have any recommendations for backpacks with that feature that are more comfortable, and that can hold a laptop?

It's worth it to give those Fastpacks a try, if you can get to a store that has them. Many camera stores do, and I've seen a lot of Lowepro bags at Best Buy.

If you prefer 2 straps though, the LowePro CompuPrimus AW looks like it will fit the bill for you.

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

DJExile posted:

It's worth it to give those Fastpacks a try, if you can get to a store that has them. Many camera stores do, and I've seen a lot of Lowepro bags at Best Buy.

If you prefer 2 straps though, the LowePro CompuPrimus AW looks like it will fit the bill for you.

Yeah, that looks pretty good actually. I think Henry's in town here might have both of them, I'll have to give them a try.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I just realized I got them confused. The Fastpacks DO have both backpack straps. I was thinking of the one strap Slingshot bags. :downs:

The Slingshot 350 carries laptops, as does the new Classified 220, and both open from the side, so there's a couple other options for you.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

I just realized I got them confused. The Fastpacks DO have both backpack straps. I was thinking of the one strap Slingshot bags. :downs:

Look up the Kata 3-N-1 series. It can be used in sling or backpack mode. Plus it has a padded belt for more weight distribution and the belt can be tucked away if you don't want to use it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

It's small and simple - there's the main camera compartment, an internal pouch for memory cards, and an external pouch. The really nice thing is that the belt loop is large enough to slide over the webbing portion of most hiking pack waist belts. In combination with a pack with two tool loops, like the one in the picture, you get a really nice, speedy system: camera on belt, ice axe on one loop, tripod on the other, which means fast setup without removing the pack.

I have this case, it's great for the $25 or so it costs. My only real complaint is that the little pouch on the top is completely useless; I can't even fit a CF card in there.

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE

TsarAleksi posted:

Domke J-1

My review is here

I picked up a Domke because of your review almost 3 years ago and it's still my favorite bag.

Mannequin posted:

Pelican 1514 (which is just the 1510 with divders) and the 1519 photo organizer lid

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I got a Pelican 1510 with dividers today. It feels sturdy, has plenty of handles, and the wheels are a nice touch. So far so good, hard to say only owning it an hour. I also got a Blackrapid RS-4 and as was mentioned earlier in the thread, the mount gets in the way when I'm using the battery grip. Seeing as I use the grip constantly, I think I might need to find another option. If only there was a way just to attach it to the strap mounts instead of the tripod mount.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

slearch posted:

Don't get me wrong its not unusably uncomfortable or anything, just clearly not as much thought has gone into the harness design as my hiking packs.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Nondo posted:

I picked up a Domke because of your review almost 3 years ago and it's still my favorite bag.

They're the best :hfive:

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Wooten posted:

I got a Pelican 1510 with dividers today. It feels sturdy, has plenty of handles, and the wheels are a nice touch. So far so good, hard to say only owning it an hour. I also got a Blackrapid RS-4 and as was mentioned earlier in the thread, the mount gets in the way when I'm using the battery grip. Seeing as I use the grip constantly, I think I might need to find another option. If only there was a way just to attach it to the strap mounts instead of the tripod mount.

I ended up making my own version of a BlackRapid strap, but I was in the same boat in regards to attaching it to the grip on my D700. Instead, I added a split ring to one of the strap mounts so that my clip would fit, and it works great for me. I might end up getting an "official" BlackRapid strap, but I would end up attaching it in the same fashion.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

rockcity posted:

This is my main workhorse bag. It's a Tamrac Expedition 6.

I couldn't recommend it more. It's not cheap, I think $185, but it holds practically everything I own at the moment, including a laptop for editing. It's super comfortable, really well padded and has tons of storage. The battery slots in the outer pockets are really nice too.

Well, I just ordered one of these with 1 day shipping to get it in time for my Hawaii trip next week. It will be really nice for hiking and being able to take my camera and laptop in one bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I use the Lowepro Flipside 300.

Has plenty of room and pockets, a strap that lets you flip it around to the front to access the innards, a back-facing zipper, and a tripod holder.

Works well for me. I used a Tamrac Velocity before and found that nice, but I just didn't have room for everything in it.

• Locked thread