Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I upgraded from the Toploader Zoom AW to the Toploader 75 AW. If you're debating between the two, I strongly recommend going with the 75 AW. The newer version addresses many of the aggravating annoyances about the Zoom AW. The 75 AW is more rigid all around which makes it much easier to zip and unzip. The redesigned top flap is a major upgrade because it's a million times easier and faster to use. The front pocket is roughly the same size as the pocket on the Zoom AW. The shoulder strap is a vast improvement in that it can be adjusted to be longer and the shoulder pad is movable as opposed to the fixed one on the Zoom.

The downsides to the 75 AW are that it's more snug on the inside than the Zoom though it can still hold about the same amount of stuff, just not as loosely and there's only one accessory harness instead of two. What I would have done if I were Lowepro is put a second one on the buckle side but lower down for shorter accessories like the bottle bag.

Overall, if you ever get frustrated working with the Zoom AW and it's kludgy access, try the 75 AW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

I dunno, the distributor they use in the UK is the same one that litepanel uses - and those prices are relatively in line with the US prices. Dollar = Pound prices just really rub me the wrong way.

(I have been researching into buying a black rapid strap and litepanels)

If you want I can mail you one from the US. I don't think it'd cost
more than $10 USD to ship it to the UK.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Haggins posted:

If you want I can mail you one from the US. I don't think it'd cost
more than $10 USD to ship it to the UK.

Thanks for the offer.

My friend is a camera nut and is in NYC for a week so he'll definitely be hitting up B&H, so hopefully he'll be able to pick up the strap no problem. I'll let you know if he fails though, and I might take you up.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
This Guragear bag looks interesting. http://www.guragear.com/product.php It's pretty expensive, but I'd like to see it in person. It arranges the gear in a really efficient way and sounds pretty light and easy to carry, but at $400... I dunno.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Can anyone recommend a compact front-mounted bag of some kind? I use a blackrapid strap, but I find that when walking, especially when hiking uphill, the camera bounces around a lot and is really uncomfortable. I wear a backpack or messenger bag about 98% of the time that I'm outside of my house, so I want something that I can wear on my front for easy access. I usually carry an SLR and 2 other small primes or 1 zoom and 1 prime when I'm out shooting. Basically I want something that's front mounted with backpack type double straps, close to my body that compresses down to nothing when it's empty, that I can wear while wearing a blackrapid strap (which would be empty when the camera's in the bag) and a backpack, would be especially useful for hikes as I need both hands free and can't keep one hand on my camera to stabilize it when it's on the blackrapid.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for something like those front-mounted baby carriers that people have but for a camera.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Does anyone use a R-Strap connected to the neck strap mount on thier camera instead of the tripod mount? I want to pick one up for my D700 but with the battery grip attached thats going to be super uncomfortable

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

KickStand posted:

Does anyone use a R-Strap connected to the neck strap mount on thier camera instead of the tripod mount? I want to pick one up for my D700 but with the battery grip attached thats going to be super uncomfortable

Attaching it to the neck strap defeats the purpose.

If you get one with the new Fastener-3 it should be much better to use with a battery grip.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

kefkafloyd posted:

Attaching it to the neck strap defeats the purpose.

If you get one with the new Fastenr-3 it should be much better to use with a battery grip.

I was talking about connecting it to just a single mount for the neck strap not both sides, but your right the fastener-3 looks like it would make it a bit more comfortable.

edit: I think you mean the fastenr-2? the one with the rubber washer?

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 27, 2010

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

KickStand posted:

I was talking about connecting it to just a single mount for the neck strap not both sides, but your right the fastener-3 looks like it would make it a bit more comfortable.

edit: I think you mean the fastenr-2? the one with the rubber washer?

No, I mean the fastener-3. Both it and the -2 have the rubber washer. The -3 doesn't have the movable D-ring and is much lower profile than the fastener-2.

And I meant the neck strap attachment points; I guess I was being too quick to reply.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

kefkafloyd posted:

No, I mean the fastener-3. Both it and the -2 have the rubber washer. The -3 doesn't have the movable D-ring and is much lower profile than the fastener-2.

And I meant the neck strap attachment points; I guess I was being too quick to reply.

Oh ok well thats good then Because I ordered a RS-7 with the fastener-3, hopefully it will work out well.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

KickStand posted:

A friend of mine put a ring through one of the neck straps on his d200 and connected it there. It works fine for him. I use it on the tripod mount on my 5D2 even when I use the battery grip and shoot in portrait mode. It doesn't bother me that much.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

RustedChrome posted:

A friend of mine put a ring through one of the neck straps on his d200 and connected it there. It works fine for him. I use it on the tripod mount on my 5D2 even when I use the battery grip and shoot in portrait mode. It doesn't bother me that much.

I did pretty much the same with my D200, small carabiner through the left shoulder strap, slide the straps onto that, works like a charm.

just to add my two cents to the thread topic: the Lowepro Fastpack 250 is a great bag. Camera + lens and 3 lenses and filters in the bottom, 2 speedlights, modifiers and a light meter in the top, it works very well for my purposes. It has a kind of limited quick-access function on it, and can carry a tripod in a pinch. Just a great, versatile bag overall.

Also, i made the mistake of putting camera armor on my old d40. speaking from this experience, i think camera armor is a waste. the buttons became mushy and imprecise with the extra rubber padding. as the average amateur, it's probably a waste; perhaps a serious adventurer pro could find value in camera armor. if i had to do it again, i would skip camera armor.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
This is what I'm running with my RS-7 right now. It works well and it makes the camera hang so that the camera is almost in perfect position to grab. And you can't beat it for price.

If I'm holding the camera by the battery grip I can either put my hand underneath the strap or I can grab the strap between my hand and the grip.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

HPL posted:

This is what I'm running with my RS-7 right now. It works well and it makes the camera hang so that the camera is almost in perfect position to grab. And you can't beat it for price.

If I'm holding the camera by the battery grip I can either put my hand underneath the strap or I can grab the strap between my hand and the grip.

I wish that was an option, Nikon was nice enough to not put a strap ring on the batttery grip for the D700, Im going to play with it a bit when my grip gets here, without the grip the default mounting position is fine for now.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Not sure if anyone is also looking for this kind of bag, but I wanted something that was waterproof (for kayaking) and also ok to take along hiking. I found the Lowepro Dryzone, and I'd recommend the same to anyone else who's after similar features.

There are two linings in this bag, one made from what feels like a rubber material that is sealed with a waterproof zipper system. I'm pretty sure this would safely protect your gear from rain and/or a dunk in the lake.

It also has a monopod/tripod holder on the back which I found strangely lacking from a lot of "hiking" packs.

The downside is the thing weights a fair bit. I wore it, full of gear, for a full day though and didn't have any issues.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Truthfully, I wouldn't trust any equipment in a lake to anything less than a Drybag or a pelican case. But that's just me.

orangeyousunny
Dec 3, 2007
Yes.
New Bag: Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home! Used my 20% off coupon and got it from REI today.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
For those of you with Think Tank retrospective bags what does the material feel like?

I like my Crumpler 7Mill but the material is a bit stiff i guess is the word, is the retrospective soft to the touch?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

orangeyousunny posted:

New Bag: Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home! Used my 20% off coupon and got it from REI today.

I have the same colour scheme, high five. It's a great bag.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

KickStand posted:

For those of you with Think Tank retrospective bags what does the material feel like?

I like my Crumpler 7Mill but the material is a bit stiff i guess is the word, is the retrospective soft to the touch?

It's thick roughish canvas. It's fairly flexible.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

KickStand posted:

Soft? No. Flexible, but still a bit stiff, and rough. Excellent, by the way.

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?
I need some advice from you knowledgeable folks.

I'm looking to purchase a new camera bag that will double as my computer bag. I am heading over to Japan to teach for a year and am limited in the amount of bags/carry-ons that I can take with me. Therefore, this bag needs to pull double duty. My criteria is as followis. Any advice or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

- Cheaper the better (my budget is ~$150 Canadian)
- Needs to be a backpack style
- should conform to airline carry on specs
- has a laptop compartment that will fit a 15" MacBook Pro + powercables
- can hold my equipment: D70 + 3 lenses, a speedlight, charger, extra battery, memory cards, etc.
- removable camera and lens section inserts (allows me to use the bag as a standard laptop backpack when needed)
- water resistant/waterproof/has a weather cover
- Has a good strap/carrying system that would be comfortable for all day wear and hiking.

optional:
- Tripod holder

From my own research, I am looking at the Kata DR-466 and DR-466I as well as the DR-467/I bags (As far as I can tell, the different between the I and non-I versions is the strap that allows for a Tripod to be attached.) If anyone can tell the difference between the 466 and 467 I would appreciate it. So far I can't find any differences between the two. http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=507&Version=Photo
http://www.kata-bags.ca/product.htm?Product=KTDR467&Source=Category&Category=KATA_PBACKPACKS

The other bag I am looking at is the Tenba Messenger: Photo/Laptop Daypack http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger--Photo-Laptop-Daypack.aspx

Once again, thanks for your input.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mephistopheles posted:

I have the Lowepro Computrekker AW and absolutely love it. You can easily find them closer to $125-130. Shoulder straps are well padded and there are straps to go across your hips as well. Tripod holder on the back.

Took it on flights to/from Detroit and Boston right after the attempted Christmas bombing at DTW and security and the gate had no problem with it. It will get under the seat just fine.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Mephistopheles posted:

I'm looking to purchase a new camera bag that will double as my computer bag. I am heading over to Japan to teach for a year and am limited in the amount of bags/carry-ons that I can take with me. Therefore, this bag needs to pull double duty. My criteria is as followis. Any advice or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

- Cheaper the better (my budget is ~$150 Canadian)
- Needs to be a backpack style
- should conform to airline carry on specs
- has a laptop compartment that will fit a 15" MacBook Pro + powercables
- can hold my equipment: D70 + 3 lenses, a speedlight, charger, extra battery, memory cards, etc.
- removable camera and lens section inserts (allows me to use the bag as a standard laptop backpack when needed)
- water resistant/waterproof/has a weather cover
- Has a good strap/carrying system that would be comfortable for all day wear and hiking.

optional:
- Tripod holder

From my own research, I am looking at the Kata DR-466 and DR-466I as well as the DR-467/I bags (As far as I can tell, the different between the I and non-I versions is the strap that allows for a Tripod to be attached.) If anyone can tell the difference between the 466 and 467 I would appreciate it. So far I can't find any differences between the two. http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=507&Version=Photo
http://www.kata-bags.ca/product.htm?Product=KTDR467&Source=Category&Category=KATA_PBACKPACKS

The other bag I am looking at is the Tenba Messenger: Photo/Laptop Daypack http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger--Photo-Laptop-Daypack.aspx

Once again, thanks for your input.

I've got the 467i. I bought it because it was "cheap" (relative to other camera bags) yet reasonably sturdy/padded, it fits a laptop, and is just about the maximum size a bag can be while still fitting beneath an airline seat. I'm pretty satisfied with it; it's not the prettiest bag in the world, but it's inconspicuous. Besides for the tripod strap, I think the other difference is that the padded bottom dividers can come out of the -i series, so the bag converts to a regular bookbag easier (taking out the bottom compartment and unzipping the middle divider makes the top compartment just as long as a regular bookbag's).

About the longest lens you can fit in the bottom compartment standing up is a Canon 70-200 4L; if you have a 70-200 2.8L you'll need to put it up top.

Overall, I like it. I haven't used it extensively, but it seems to meet all my expectations. It fit underneath an airplane seat perfectly. The tripod strap/holster (the bottom part of which could carry a water bottle, if you're not carrying a tripod) seems a little iffy, but I've got a huge honken tripod. It's never ripped on me or anything, I just don't know if I completely trust it.

Z
Jun 25, 2002

I have a Crumpler Keystone

It is a giant piece of poo poo. The interior holds way too little, it's not very reconfigurable due to the shape, the side pockets are impossible to get into, and it's uncomfortable to wear. The laptop sleeve it comes with barely fits inside, and is almost too small even for the netbook I was packing around. It's also ridiculously overpriced.

In conclusion, I hate it, I'm selling it, and I will most likely never buy another Crumpler product, based solely on my experience with this one.

I've gone back to my Lowepro Stealth Reporter in the meantime

It's pretty loving rad. Easily holds everything I carry, including my laptop. The only problem is it weighs about 35 lbs fully loaded, so it's not practical to run around with. I'm currently in the market for a new camera backpack.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Interesting note: The Toploader 75 AW fits a Mamiya 645 Pro nicely.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Anyone have any thoughts on this bag?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563945-REG/Lowepro_LP35264_PEU_Nova_200_AW_Shoulder.html

I have a small 15 dollar used lowepro bag but I've rapidly outgrown it for most things (it holds 1 lens and 1 slr with lens and it's not very comfortable to wear for long periods). This bag seems to fit my budget and have room to spare, but does it have any disadvantages to say a slingbag or a crumpler bag? I like slings but from using a friend's they don't hold as much as this bag would.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
I think Crumpler bags are a little more discreet, but that's probably the only real difference, besides price.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Blindeye posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on this bag?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563945-REG/Lowepro_LP35264_PEU_Nova_200_AW_Shoulder.html

I have a small 15 dollar used lowepro bag but I've rapidly outgrown it for most things (it holds 1 lens and 1 slr with lens and it's not very comfortable to wear for long periods). This bag seems to fit my budget and have room to spare, but does it have any disadvantages to say a slingbag or a crumpler bag? I like slings but from using a friend's they don't hold as much as this bag would.

Lowepro is always solid and their AW covers are fantastic. I don't think Crumplers have them but I don't know how well they stand up to water. Given their cost I'd have to imagine they're good for it.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

DJExile posted:

Lowepro is always solid and their AW covers are fantastic. I don't think Crumplers have them but I don't know how well they stand up to water. Given their cost I'd have to imagine they're good for it.

I have the 5 Million Dollar Home, and while it's not weather-proof by any means, I'd feel safe in all but the craziest of weather.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

scottch posted:

I have the 5 Million Dollar Home, and while it's not weather-proof by any means, I'd feel safe in all but the craziest of weather.

Yeah, in fairness, I shoot a lot of outdoor sports, and here in the Toledo area, I have to pretty much expect downpours out of goddamn nowhere. I'd imagine most of Crumpler's offerings are perfectly fine.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

None of my crumpler bags let water in. If you're really scared you can just wash the outer shell and coat it with impermeability spray.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I got myself the Kata 3N1-22 recently, and I'm absolutely in love with it. It fits my 5D Mark II with the 24-105 F/4L attached, as well as two primes and a flash in the main compartment. There's a netbook compartment in the back, and an additional top pocket which holds all of my chargers, a portable hard drive, and my old Pentax MX with a few rolls of film. Even better, there's a rain fly hidden away in one of the pockets as well. The bag's definitely a huge upgrade from the ratty old shoulder bag I used to use.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy

Necronomicon posted:

I got myself the Kata 3N1-22 recently, and I'm absolutely in love with it. It fits my 5D Mark II with the 24-105 F/4L attached, as well as two primes and a flash in the main compartment. There's a netbook compartment in the back, and an additional top pocket which holds all of my chargers, a portable hard drive, and my old Pentax MX with a few rolls of film. Even better, there's a rain fly hidden away in one of the pockets as well. The bag's definitely a huge upgrade from the ratty old shoulder bag I used to use.

Do you think you could post some pics of it loaded up with a tape measure or ruler on it so I can get a rough idea of its size and what it can hold. I have been eying them but know one has them at a local store to check out.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Gom Jabbar posted:

Do you think you could post some pics of it loaded up with a tape measure or ruler on it so I can get a rough idea of its size and what it can hold. I have been eying them but no one has them at a local store to check out.
http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?Version=photo&p_Id=19772
Maybe this would help a little? There's a page with all of the dimensions.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Just bought this backpack.

http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-4-33.html

Needed a backpack to fit all my stuff that is suitable for use overseas. This bag is pretty much exactly what I needed.

Fits everything
Has room for other misc items that aren't camera related
Holds a tripod
Comfortable for long distances
Has a weather cover/is waterproof

Main entrance is from the back (which is kind of good, more secure I guess) and has a side easy access thing. PLUS it actually looks more like a normal backpack.

Plus it only cost me AUD$160

I was also looking at the Lowepro Prorunner 350 AW (which was good but $270). A tamrac bag that didn't have any areas for other misc stuff and the Kata 3N1-33 which had a tripod system I didn't really like. Couldnt even figure out the tripod thing at first and the rest of the bag was loving odd to use. I almost bought it till i realised there were no tripod straps. But the vaguard is $40 less :)

Plus it won some 2010 TIPA award or some poo poo for best camera bag.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy

spf3million posted:

http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?Version=photo&p_Id=19772
Maybe this would help a little? There's a page with all of the dimensions.

Yeah I saw that but it is still kind of hard for me to get a good idea with out some sort of ruler or something.

bokchoi
Aug 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I just received my Lowepro Fastpack 350 (paid about $100CAD), and my first impression of this thing is its sheer size; it will easily swallow a gripped body with a 70-200mm f/2.8.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-350,2087,14.htm

Just for fun, I decided to see how full I could pack it, and I managed, in the camera compartment alone:

40D with grip and a Canon 80-200mm f/2.8L (same size as the 70-200mm f/2.8L non-IS)
Tamron 17-50mm
Canon 10-22mm
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 60mm f/2.8
Sigma 150mm f/2.8

The depth of the compartment is clearly designed for gripped pro SLR bodies. To fit the two shorter primes, I put them in the same division and separated them with a cloth, but otherwise the compartment zips up just fine, and things do not feel too tight inside. The depth of the bag is enough that the Sigma 150mm can stand vertically in its own division. In the upper compartment, I put in my flash bracket (a Stroboframe knockoff) with a 430EX mounted, and it zips up fine as well with room to spare.

The harness of this bag is great and quite comfortable, though I'll bet wearing it for long periods fully loaded like above is asking for back problems; a laptop in there will make it even heavier. There is a hip harness as well as a sternum strap, but there's no provision to stow either if you're not using them; you can tie back the sternum strap a bit, but the hip harness is big enough that it might get in the way even if you tie it back as much as you can.

The side access is only available from the left, which is fine if you're right-handed, but maybe not so much if you're left-handed. I found I needed to undo the hip harness to comfortably turn the back around, but access was otherwise quick and convenient. I part of me does kinda wish it had access on both sides, so I could stow the camera on one side and access lenses in the other, but I'm not sure how well that would work in most cases.

The bag doesn't have provisions for a tripod or monopod, but I was easily able to mount a monopod on the side in the water bottle pocket and securing it to the top hand strap with a velcro strap. The bag also doesn't have a rain cover, but I don't expect that equipment will get wet unless the weather was exceptionally bad, and if I did need a cover, I'd probably be able to find a generic one that would fit.

My only real personal gripe is that this bag honestly might be too big for some people; it's a good 20 inches high and 10 inches deep, and I only bought it over the 250 because the difference didn't seem too extreme on paper, and because the 350 is supposed to comfortably hold a body with a 70-200mm mounted (which it does, with lots of room to spare). I'm looking forward to fielding this bag and seeing how well it works, but I'll probably spend a bit of time trying to optimize it for lens changes as well as camera access. I'll post a trip report when I field this bag in the next little while.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
Are there any backpacks that are waterproof, and that can support adding on additional items like hiking/camping equipment? Or should I just go a military style backpack and buy some waterproof bags for my camera gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

bokchoi posted:

I just received my Lowepro Fastpack 350 (paid about $100CAD), and my first impression of this thing is its sheer size; it will easily swallow a gripped body with a 70-200mm f/2.8.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-350,2087,14.htm

I've got the same Fastpack and it's amazing. It almost feels comically large until you open it up and realise it's eaten your equipment for breakfast with room for more. Heck there's even space for a 17" laptop in the back, although all the extra weight may be an issue for some people.
The only downside I can find is the same one you pointed out, a lack of weather proofing. Still though it's a heck of a beast.

• Locked thread