Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
What's the name for those leather holster-type cases that only cover the back, bottom and sides of the body and screws into the tripod mount? I've only ever seen them on film 35mms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tincans posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for hand straps?

I have the OPTech Grip Strap and really like it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Tshirt Ninja posted:

What's the name for those leather holster-type cases that only cover the back, bottom and sides of the body and screws into the tripod mount? I've only ever seen them on film 35mms.

Ever ready cases. You may hear an old timer call them a "never ready" case.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

8th-samurai posted:

Ever ready cases. You may hear an old timer call them a "never ready" case.

Thanks.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

DJExile posted:

I have the OPTech Grip Strap and really like it.

I have this one as well, it's great and supports massive amounts of weight with no problems yet (1d2 + flash + (not sure whats the heaviest lens I've put on while using a flash at the same time, but it's worked with my 35mm/2 which is apparantly 1.6 lbs according to Amazon.. and it does feel pretty drat heavy))

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Tshirt Ninja posted:

These days just the bottom half of an ever ready case (or something purpose designed to be like it) is sold as a half-case.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

I have this one as well, it's great and supports massive amounts of weight with no problems yet (1d2 + flash + (not sure whats the heaviest lens I've put on while using a flash at the same time, but it's worked with my 35mm/2 which is apparantly 1.6 lbs according to Amazon.. and it does feel pretty drat heavy))

Yeah, my E-30 + battery grip + 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 is a bit of a load but not so much it bothers me. The strap's a good help but it can get cumbersome if you want to shoot portrait.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

frogbs posted:

Is it really advisable to be hanging your camera from the tripod plate? Are those things designed for that kind of stress?
You'll break the most cameras' sockets before you do the plate.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
As a follow-up to my past last page, I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/Caselogic-TBC-305-Camcorder-Case-Black/dp/B001T0HXRS
yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it. I doubt I'll ever carry it around by itself, but I wanted to have something to throw in a bag or pack. It also had to offer more protection than the typical P&S case and have room to carry the camera with a lens attached, plus an additional lens.

Something as tiny as a rangefinder and lenses present a real interesting set of requirements for safe travel/storage.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

It's a big metal Manfrotto plate.

The camera hangs from the D ring which is attached to the piece that screws into the socket on the camera, basically the same as the R strap's connector.

I haven't tried this yet, but I don't use my tripod enough to warrant leaving the plate attached.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

geeves posted:

I haven't tried this yet, but I don't use my tripod enough to warrant leaving the plate attached.

Well my 500c/m has a 3/8" socket so I just basically leave it on there so I don't have to look for it when I want to use a tripod.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
What's a good tripod bag to get for a Manfrotto 190xprob+498RC2? Something I can take hiking and on a plane.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

With a larger body and lens, my medium bag had to go and has now been replaced by the Stealth Reporter 300 AW. Holds my E-30 + battery grip, 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5, 25mm prime, and hotshoe flash. Plenty of room for spare batteries and came with a neat stashed-away attached memory card wallet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can anyone speak for the Kata DR-467i? I've currently got a 7D with BG-E7 grip, SpeedLite 580EX II, and EF-S 17-55 w/ hood. My next additions will likely be a 70-200 f/2.8 IS, a Rode shotgun mic, and a macro (not sure which yet). It looks like it can hold a 15.4" laptop as well, so I'd like to toss my MacBook Pro in there. The weight seems like it will add up quickly, so I'm hoping it's comfortable enough to wear around trade shows all day. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 1, 2010

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

I got a Kata 465i and went hiking with it last week. It's a smaller version of the same backpack line, no laptop pouch and doesn't fit as much gear, but it's more than enough for my NEX and a few lenses with other assorted crap. The quality is absolutely loving awesome, it's solid as hell and very nicely made.

Comfort is a personal preference but I had no issues at all while hiking around with this backpack for 5-6 hours. It's well padded, the straps are nice and comfortable (not too narrow or wide). There's a pocket with a pouch on the side that fits a water bottle nicely, or you can put a small tripod there and secure it with a strap at the top.

Not sure how a larger version going to feel with a lot of gear though, sounds like you have about 5 times as much weight to lug around. It's definitely a quality product though, and if my experience is any indication then ergonomics should be pretty good in the 467i as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thanks for your impressions. Everything I've read says that the exterior quality is excellent, but some have said that the interior padding doesn't seem that protective of your equipment. However, the photos I've seen make it look fine. Any comments?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

The lower compartment that is actually for the camera stuff is completely fine in terms of padding. I got a Crumpler bag before but returned it for the 465i, and there was maybe a bit more padding in that bag but overall not that different. This backpack isn't designed to protect your gear against everything, but it should withstand the usual bumping and tossing around. There's padding material all around the gear, so it's really a padded removable pouch with adjustable dividers. If you want to base jump into a pile of rocks you might want to look into some armored suitcases or something.

The top compartment doesn't have any padding, but has pockets of various sizes to store supplies and other stuff. Other pockets aren't padded either. 467i has a laptop section which I assume will be padded.

Again, I'm not sure how this will work with more/larger gear. My NEX and its lenses are tiny, so there's a ton of space left around them. Your stuff will probably fill the whole thing out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thanks for your thorough replies. I think I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it works, and of course share my thoughts in the thread. :)

ABFA00
Jul 9, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Can anyone speak for the Kata DR-467i? I've currently got a 7D with BG-E7 grip, SpeedLite 580EX II, and EF-S 17-55 w/ hood. My next additions will likely be a 70-200 f/2.8 IS, a Rode shotgun mic, and a macro (not sure which yet). It looks like it can hold a 15.4" laptop as well, so I'd like to toss my MacBook Pro in there. The weight seems like it will add up quickly, so I'm hoping it's comfortable enough to wear around trade shows all day. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

I have it and love it. I have a 13 inch Macbook Pro, which fits with plenty of extra space for a bigger one. I can't speak to how well your gear would fit, but one of my favorite things is the included rain covering thing. Even without it my stuff has been fine, but because of all the rain in Boston lately it's made me feel so much safer.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I bought the 2010 Burton Zoom Pack 28L a few weeks ago for a shooting trip I was going on and I wanted to share a review about it.
http://www.amazon.com/Burton-Zoom-Pack-B8U553010-Black/dp/B000VTJQFA
I REALLY love this backpack, it's so much more versatile and comfortable than anything else I looked at. Especially in the price range. I found mine on Ebay for $90, new.

There are probably a few things on here that are different than a typical camera bag, because this one is for snowboarding, and it actually has straps to carry a snowboard as well!

Click here for the full 525x700 image.

The front of the bag. This is a 28 liter volume backpack, so it's pretty big. What I like about it is that unlike some of the larger packs from the dedicated photo pack companies, it doesn't stick out a foot and a half off my back. It's remarkably compact for how much it holds. The little red loop is to hold a small tripod.

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

The left side of the pack. That pocket sticking out is the perfect size to hold my light meter in its little Tenba soft case. Above it is a deep, slim pocket to hold an umbrella. I have a tube of sunscreen in there.

The other side. A pocket for a bottle of drink, and another one of those deep pockets.

The outermost pocket on the front doens't have a zipper to secure it. I stick my reflector in there. It's sticking out in this picture, but it goes all the way in.

Right above that is the big gaping maw of a pocket where I keep all my film. I have about 30 rolls in there and I could throw more in if I needed to.

2 more pockets above the film one. The black-lined one is where I stow a speedlight and radio triggers. Above that, in the red pocket, I can throw my Contax rangefinder camera in its case. There's also enough room for an extra tool or two. On the other side if the mesh pocket I can stash a bunch of the various batteries I need for cameras, triggers, meter and speedlights.

The back side. Lots of padding.

Opened up to reveal the gear pocket. 2 more mesh pockets for various supplies on the back of the flap. This is where a laptop computer can be stored as well.

Inside the gear pocket. Space for 2 35mm SLR bodies, 2 regular sized 35mm lenses, a 180mm SLR lens, a Rolleiflex TLR, and a Bronica ETRs 645 with a 150mm lens. The camera straps in there are obscuring quite a bit of that, but it's all in there.

The gear pocket is also its own separate take-away unit, complete with a shoulder strap!

So that's what I'm hauling out into the field these days. If you lost count, it carries 5 camera bodies, and 7 lenses for me, as well as loads of other supplies and gear. All in a comfortable, low-profile package.

The bad news is, it's discontinued now, but can still be found online pretty readily. Burton has a 2011 model out now, but it's slightly different. Still though, if it's as well-made and useful as this one is, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 4, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Just got the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home and am pretty happy with how much stuff I can cram into it. 7D/24-70L/Sigma 10-20/85 prime/580EXII with room for another few bits and pieces and sits very comfortably on my shoulder.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

My Domke in case of emergency can carry three pineapples. This is however without any camera equipment stored.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have the 467, the non 'i' version. It is my favorite go-to bag. Even if I just have the camera in the bottom with no lenses nor a flash, I sitll carry it around. I don't use it with the MBP often, but that compartment usually carries a book, some papers, etc. I have designated pockets for certain items. I don't use the tripod/monopod pocket, but the 'i' version looks more stable with the top strap holding onto it. The compartments can be sized to your licking since they are velcro dividers inside the three large slots. Mine currently has: Canon XSi w/Tamron 17-50, 430 EXII, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 70-300. While I don't have the 7D and lenses you have, this should gauge the size of the pockets. I have room in there for other items such as a Nikon lens cleaner. And it also includes a rain bag - which wraps up nicely, but also takes up a slot in the bottom compartments. You can place it elsewhere.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

8th-samurai posted:

It's a big metal Manfrotto plate.

The camera hangs from the D ring which is attached to the piece that screws into the socket on the camera, basically the same as the R strap's connector.

The D-ring on the Manfrotto plates is NOT built to be load bearing. It will deform and fail. The plate won't detach from the camera, but the little D-ring will come apart.

You should buy one of these to replace the wimpy D-ring in the manfrotto plate. They should be out sometime this month.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kefkafloyd posted:

The D-ring on the Manfrotto plates is NOT built to be load bearing. It will deform and fail. The plate won't detach from the camera, but the little D-ring will come apart.

You should buy one of these to replace the wimpy D-ring in the manfrotto plate. They should be out sometime this month.

That is so awesome, hopefully it wont be too expensive. My one complaint about the R-Strap was having to remove it to use with a tripod plate, and now thats no longer a problem!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Now, let's say you have something like an L-bracket with a tripod pass-through socket. Yes, you could attach the R-Strap's FastenR thingies to that just fine. It's the Manfrotto D-rings that are specifically the issue.

I've been waiting for these bastards since February, and I'm buying two immediately.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
If they don't come in 3/8" they are dead to me.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

here's an odd one, has anyone purchased the Deviant Art Camera Bag located here http://news.deviantart.com/article/130298/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Photex posted:

here's an odd one, has anyone purchased the Deviant Art Camera Bag located here http://news.deviantart.com/article/130298/

OK I'll admit when I read your post and realized DA made a bag I thought it would be some awful piece of crap. That actually looks fairly nice.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

DJExile posted:

OK I'll admit when I read your post and realized DA made a bag I thought it would be some awful piece of crap. That actually looks fairly nice.

It looks like a Kata 3n1 with different color padding.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

kefkafloyd posted:

It looks like a Kata 3n1 with different color padding.

Not really. There are a lot of differences. I'd say it's more like someone took a Lowepro sling and beat it with the un-ugly stick.

Really though, who is the OEM for this bag?

HPL fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 6, 2010

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

Maverique posted:

Did anyone get a Retrospective 30 yet? I'm considering getting it to carry around a dSLR and a film SLR with respective lenses. How many lenses do you think it can hold? How's the padding on it? The reviews I've read make it sound like a pretty drat good camera bag, sturdy and inconspicuous.

I used a thirty as my bag on a two week trip through France and Spain. Carried a 7d, 17-55 with hood, 10-22, flash and other various camera stuff vary well. As a side bonus I was allowed to wear the bag in several castles and museums, where as back packs were verboten. I'll put pictures of it up tomorrow.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Photex posted:

I hate large sling bags. They just get too uncomfortable when full.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Got my Domke F6 in the mail the other day. Fits my Bronica SQ-Ai with back and lens attached along with 2 more backs, a second lens, and associated crap perfectly, very happy with it.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

As I said a few posts up I would picture and review the Retrospective 30 based on my experience, of using it on a plane, train, and automobile trip trough France and Spain.

Here's a pic of the stuff I boarded the aircraft to Paris with. Not pictured, my wife's camera, and accoutrement, novel, my US cell phone, and guide book.

Pictured is my 7D with 17-55mm hood attached, a 10-22mm, old vivitar flash, compact binoculars, netbook, electrical adapter, battery charger for camera, card reader, card holder, world cell, bag with cords, batteries and camera manual, filters, maps ect.

When out and about I took out the card reader, charger, and netbook. Loaded for touring it looked basically like this.

The 10-22 is under the "holster flap" to the left of the camera, and the flash on the right side of the bag. In the void I would have my sun glass case as well as my wife's, the camera battery, and cord bag, as well as a snack(fruit, cheese, ect.) and smaller bottle of water. The front organizer compartment held the filters, memory card holder, and really kept things generally accessible, yet would not interfere with getting the camera and lenses in and out. In the back compartment out side of the main case(outside of the flap,) I would have city maps, museum maps, and other were not from here reference material. In case of rain I would tie my rain coat to the back strap, and I carried a ball cap inside the main compartment to keep rain out of my face.

I would always carry the bag on my right side, sometimes slung across to the other shoulder or sometimes on my right shoulder. The carrying handle made for a great hand hold in crowded touristy areas where it may be more liable to be snatched, but the bag doesn't scream "expensive camera in here," and since I was usually dressed more business casual, then "ugly American tourist," helped the no expensive camera here vibe I was going for.

It carried very well and only after a LONG day of walking would you start to really notice it. I didn't feel it got in the way of movement and the camera was always super accessible(I kept the velcro silencer on the camera side, so I just had to lift up the flap. The camera would come out of the bag very nicely when the hood was attached(just about always,) but was still snug so it would just fall out. Padding wise there isn't a ton. It has a minimal padded floor, about the same amount of padding on the back side, and just the several layers of cloth on the front side. You can customize the dividers in the bag as it comes with several extra in different lengths. Also all padding is removable, and the bag would slim down to a true courier bag size. The rain cover was also easy to use, and still left you access to the bags interior, but obviously not quit the open flap ease with it off.

I really liked this bag, and was glad I bought it for the trip, I stayed secure on your shoulder, carried a ton of stuff, was discrete, was very well made, and like most courier bags, doesn't inhibit your movement as well as not hindering your getting on and off transportation. If you guys want more interior/exterior pictures I would be happy to take them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's really neat and it looks quite a bit bigger than Think Tank's website seemed to show. Where does the netbook fit in, and what size is it? Looks like 10.1"

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure i'm going to purchase the DA Bag and maybe review it for you guys. My fiance has some extra DA points that were given to her so I think i can get it for around $60.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

DJExile posted:

That's really neat and it looks quite a bit bigger than Think Tank's website seemed to show. Where does the netbook fit in, and what size is it? Looks like 10.1"

In the main compartment there is a flat zippered sleeve on the back wall. I can put the netbook in without it's neoprene cover in the sleave and zip it up, or with the cover just in the slot unzipped. Yes it's a 10.1" Asus, used it as a picture mule so I could do a nightly backup of photos.

EDIT: When looking at the bags there is a big size difference between the 20 and the 30. I went 30 because I would rather have a bit more space for stuff down the road, as well as I knew I would be carrying non photo stuff on this trip and wanted a bit of extra room. It does get smaller(thinner) if you fold up the floor padding things.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 6, 2010

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

okay the DA Camera Bag has been ordered, came out to 63 for me. When I get it i'll be sure to give you guys my impressions of the build quality and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I just got my retrospective 20 today, I'm so excited to actually get home and pack stuff in it. It's the first camera bag I've ever bought that wasn't just going to the store and grabbing a cheap quick solution.

I love the look, and it feels really rugged without being overly heavy. Lots of space and lots of pockets for everything.

But drat was it hard finding one after I decided it's what I wanted though. I ended up special ordering it through a local store and waiting for a couple weeks. I even checked thinktank's site every couple days and never saw them in stock.

edit: It was probably the first day in months I didn't bring my camera with me. I had a few meetings and didn't want to carry it to them or leave it at my desk.

• Locked thread