Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Edit: I don't know how to delete my own post so here is a message telling you that instead.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Honey bun, I think the giant pony stress melted your brain a little. This is the plush thread, for squishy things. The general sewing thread is HERE.

But it's a lovely bag!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

Honey bun, I think the giant pony stress melted your brain a little. This is the plush thread, for squishy things. The general sewing thread is HERE.

But it's a lovely bag!

Its my plushie bag D:

But you're right. I forgot why I had made this thread so long ago!

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

The Worst Unicorn posted:

Live, plushie thread! :) I sew in my spare time and all that spare time left me with a pretty solid knack for it. Right now I'm working on a tiger that's also a hipster, his name is Mewser.

I hand sew, and I usually wing it patternless. The last doll I finished is Lanolin Sheepster, a sheep that . . . is also a hipster. :I These are photos of Lanolin II, he has movable arms and legs. Lanolin beta didn't move and had no horns- I gave him to a little girl.

I know this post is old but I am super jealous and want both of these, they are adorable.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Hey if any of you fun people are in the Seattle area, or will be sometime this month (I think it runs all month) you should check out Plush You! It's an annual plush art show at Schmancy

I wish I had work showing there

Queen Anneka
Feb 21, 2010

I've been making ponies and selling them on ebay. I'm getting a sewing machine this week so everything I've done is hand stitched. The above pony I made is selling on eBay right now. I haven't got any bids and my prior two ponies only sold for 40 and 50, they were also smaller, but I'm new to the game. I do post what I'm selling on different forums like ponychan, equestriadaily,deviantart and MLP arena. :\ just not sure what's wrong. I think my craftsmanship is pretty good. Any advice?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

Hey if any of you fun people are in the Seattle area, or will be sometime this month (I think it runs all month) you should check out Plush You! It's an annual plush art show at Schmancy

I wish I had work showing there

Awwh.

I live in Canada. We never have fun things here.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
edit: look away!

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 2, 2013

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

TL;DR

I am never going to ask for advice.

Edit: I would also take the photos in natural light. Flash, or indoor lighting is just plain /bad/. Take them outside, or by a large window during the day to take a photo. To put in perspective: If I take a photo of light blue in my basement, it looks /brown/ due to Tungsten lightbulbs.

Photos are the most important part. A bad photo will kill your work, especially if its a bad photo of a "finished" project. When I do photos, I spend probably close to an hour taking photo after photo (if its an important project) in slightly different perspectives, locations just to make sure that it looks /good/ and the real colours show up.

Here is an example of my earlier work

- Dingy basement, tungsten lights. Why is she dark blue/black with brown hair?

- Same doll, finished, but now she's a light blue with light blue/white hair.

Lighting. Make sure you do it well, do it outside or near a window.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 19, 2011

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Brainbread posted:

What was exactly was off-putting, quality or quantity?

Brainbread posted:

:words: about lighting and photo taking

This is also very good advice that I've heard and have been trying to be better about myself. That's what I was trying to get at quickly when I mentioned photography and lighting. But I omitted to try to cut out length, and because I really don't have room to talk about that area. Or such useful examples

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

What was exactly was off-putting, quality or quantity?

This is also very good advice that I've heard and have been trying to be better about myself. That's what I was trying to get at quickly when I mentioned photography and lighting. But I omitted to try to cut out length, and because I really don't have room to talk about that area. Or such useful examples

I've personally killed an auction of my own by having a bad first set of photos. So I've got experience.

Mostly the in depth, pony sperging. I've been subjected to that /in person/ by a "sandwich artisan", so personally its cringe inducing.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Brainbread posted:

Mostly the in depth, pony sperging. I've been subjected to that /in person/ by a "sandwich artisan", so personally its cringe inducing.

Yes, I will admit it is cringe inducing. I tried to avoid it and failed. Now I feel obligated to change the subject to something else and redeem myself. But I don't have any ideas.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
It's not really pony spergin', though. Comrade Quack could have been talking about anything. Remove any specific mention of MLP and it's thorough criticism of specific and noticeable problems.

Pony sperging would be going into Pinkie Pie's in-depth history and why it pertains to the piece. This is just good ol'-fashioned plushie spergin'!

edit: the biggest problem I see is the colour, but as has been said we need to see it in better light.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

cobalt impurity posted:

It's not really pony spergin', though. Comrade Quack could have been talking about anything. Remove any specific mention of MLP and it's thorough criticism of specific and noticeable problems.

Pony sperging would be going into Pinkie Pie's in-depth history and why it pertains to the piece. This is just good ol'-fashioned plushie spergin'!

edit: the biggest problem I see is the colour, but as has been said we need to see it in better light.

I was under the assumption that "spergin about ponies" was equivalent to Pony Spergin' =P

But yeah, it is quite in depth. I tend to prefer advice for gradual change as opposed to an entire overhaul. Such as, if the post was broken up into several, small posts on each detail. Maybe I am just insane.

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008
I just posted my first plush guy up on my Etsy site. He's made out of old t-shirts I couldn't bring myself to throw away. I call him a Fremick.

The pattern is my own. Not complex or anything, but I'm getting better.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
So cute!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Rather Tonic posted:

I just posted my first plush guy up on my Etsy site. He's made out of old t-shirts I couldn't bring myself to throw away. I call him a Fremick.

That's adorable! :swoon: If I had the extra cash, man. Though I'm tempted to model something similar for my cousin for a Christmas present, but since she's a teenager I'm afraid she'll just think it's lame. CAN'T TELL WITH KIDS THESE DAYS.

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008
Is she quirky sort of teenager? I would have always loved a homemade stuffed animal. Stuffed animals are cool. As long as they're not like a bedazzled grandma bear or something (unless she's a super ironic hipster), I'd say you're pretty safe. Weird homemade monster = love.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Rather Tonic posted:

I may have just bought this? I think. Its adorable, fantastic work. It'll be a Christmas gift.

Also, I am getting fantastic Adventure Time vibes from it.

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008
Oh my gosh, you did! I want to internet high-five you! I didn't put this on the Etsy site, but this guy was entirely hand stitched. I didn't mention it, because the other ones I make from this pattern *won't* be. I hope you'll be pleased with him!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Rather Tonic posted:

Oh my gosh, you did! I want to internet high-five you! I didn't put this on the Etsy site, but this guy was entirely hand stitched. I didn't mention it, because the other ones I make from this pattern *won't* be. I hope you'll be pleased with him!

I'd grab a Clutch as well for coins, but I don't think I need to give my friends more reason to try and make fun of me =P

What was your inspiration for Fremick? Also, I love good hand stitching.

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008
My inspiration for the Fremick was just this little guy I drew in my notebook. I thought he looked really huggable, so I decided to try and make a sewing pattern. I had this t-shirt that I never wore and was on the fast track to the abandoned clothing bin, but I really liked the pattern and the trim with the chunky buttons. So I decided to use that. I like him so much that I'm going to do more, and I have plans for other creatures, too.

(And someday, if you want a manly coin keeper, just email me :D)

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So. Two WIP's. Getting the eyes and marks for them done via an embroidery shop, Fluttershy should be done next week, and Applejack the week after.

Gotta reengineer FLS again so she can stand. Was fine before I added the hair (a few hundred grams, apparently - two balls of yarn), so she's listing again.

They got no wire this time, I figured out how to properly arrange stuffing to be properly load bearing.

I'll see what I can do while I am waiting, maybe do some actual commissions for once. Or study for exams. I dunno.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
I'm now curious about having the work done as embroidery. Would you be willing to share more about that? I'd have guessed the embroidery would need to be done before it was sewn together and stuffed. Will the wings be embroidered too, or do you have a different plan for those?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

I'm now curious about having the work done as embroidery. Would you be willing to share more about that? I'd have guessed the embroidery would need to be done before it was sewn together and stuffed. Will the wings be embroidered too, or do you have a different plan for those?

Because of my inability to properly line up the sides of the head, I am getting the graphics for the eyes digitized and embroidered to a plain backing. Then I will be stitching /that/ onto the plushie in the correct position (I can be minimalist with my stitching if I need to be, so I am not concerned).

I will be doing the wings as I normally do. If I had a more clear and set pattern, I could get the bits embroidered to the fabric, but I am not that consistent.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Brainbread posted:

They got no wire this time, I figured out how to properly arrange stuffing to be properly load bearing.

I'd like to hear more about this, if you don't mind. What did you do differently this time?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Charmmi posted:

I'd like to hear more about this, if you don't mind. What did you do differently this time?

I used a mix of Polyester Fibrefill and Polyester Stuffing to make the legs more dense - Stuffing to fill in any and all gaps that appeared after packing it down. They still have some give, so are still squeezable, but you won't be able to really pinch it down the middle.

I also made the front legs about an inch longer than they were, so instead of all the legs being level, they lean a little bit more to the back, so the head is more in line with the front legs (as in, its more over top instead of in front of). Its minor enough so that the character still appears to be flat, but it gives me more leeway in the weight of the head, so I can make the hair "fuller".

I'm almost done two more small plushies using a downsized version of those changes, so they're sitting around 14" tall now, with the better 3D heads. I should have them done in a few hours.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Hurrr I finally went ahead and made something small.

Because I am tired of waiting for embroidery. Its with the newer pattern. The other one I am working on does not have a kinked nose, so I am guessing my stitching is just off.

They're all soft, no more wire or anything to keep the legs in. Turned out pretty well I think! The smirk sells it to me.

I see some details that need to be worked on, like making my cuts on the iron-ons cleaner, and the nose. But I think it turned out well. Big improvement on the front view compared to my previous toys.

If you want to follow the auction, its here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170719166033

Edit: Closed my auction and will redo it on Monday with new photos, these ones. Because my others were terrible.

Maybe not the fourth one. I hate when I do that.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 29, 2011

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

And finished another. Heads a little bit straighter.

I want to use like, beans or something to weigh down the feet a bit. Any suggestions?

Edit:

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 31, 2011

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Something like this?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Possibly. I need something that is fairly weighty to help balance the toys, rather than be just soft. Not sure if that falls into the category. May raid the thrift store for toys.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I think that's the same thing I use for weighting my unicorns' hooves. It really does help them stand up better and give them a little heft. I buy mine in bulk on eBay, though.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
So did anyone else incorporate a plush into their costume this year?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Unoriginal posted:

I think that's the same thing I use for weighting my unicorns' hooves. It really does help them stand up better and give them a little heft. I buy mine in bulk on eBay, though.

I settled for making little baggies of glass beads (they're like 1mm spheres) and packing them into 20g baggies that I put at the bottom of the feet. They're still kinda squishy, but I double wrapped them in tape so they shouldn't come apart, barring knifing.

Finished a commission! Vinyl Scratch

Her mouth is kind of hard to see from most of the angles but the first one, its a smirk made with a light purple/grey thread.

The glasses are a nightmare to make; the painting part is just so infuriating to me. If I didn't have to paint it, I'd not mind half as much. But anyways, there are magnets in her nose, between her eyes, and in her upper cheeks to help keep the glasses to her face.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

More commission stuff done. Derpy plushie.

The material is a challenge to work with, I end up ironing on adhesive to where I am going to be stitching, as it has a tendency to fray. Which means that a single plushie takes me forever to do.

I wish I could find the same colour in Micro chenille.

A helpful fellow on Deviantart (TheNaro) has been making me the graphics for the eyes, so quality has taken a bump in that route. I am very pleased with the new pattern though, its given them quite a bit more thickness and made their heads a lot better from all angles (especially the front, they have good eye coverage now).

And back to work!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Can anyone recommend a sturdy, but affordable sewing machine? Sewing plushies is awesome, but my sweatshop hands are starting to hurt.

\/ Thanks!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 8, 2011

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

melon cat posted:

Can anyone recommend a sturdy, but affordable sewing machine? Sewing plushies is awesome, but my sweatshop hands are starting to hurt.

I'd suggest asking in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701891 - its a lot more traffic'd and people are generally more experienced there.

If that fails, I like my Kenmore Ultrastitch 6. Its old, so you can easily find one second-hand, and they're pretty cheap to get serviced - $50 or so?

Edit: From the opening post there - http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?t=5689

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Brainbread posted:

Edit: I would also take the photos in natural light. Flash, or indoor lighting is just plain /bad/. Take them outside, or by a large window during the day to take a photo. To put in perspective: If I take a photo of light blue in my basement, it looks /brown/ due to Tungsten lightbulbs.

Photos are the most important part. A bad photo will kill your work, especially if its a bad photo of a "finished" project. When I do photos, I spend probably close to an hour taking photo after photo (if its an important project) in slightly different perspectives, locations just to make sure that it looks /good/ and the real colours show up.

Here is an example of my earlier work

- Dingy basement, tungsten lights. Why is she dark blue/black with brown hair?

- Same doll, finished, but now she's a light blue with light blue/white hair.

Lighting. Make sure you do it well, do it outside or near a window.

Or get a camera with good whitebalance! it won't be as good as the lighting outside, but that's the real reason why the camera shoots those colors. It's representation of the color white is off for that lighting type.

Or, since these are small, you can get something like this (though it's sold out on this site)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras-photography/a205/?srp=2

Actual studio style lights will make a world of difference (but they'll still look even better if it's whitebalanced properly!

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Do you guys have any suggestions on where to find cheap foam ? Foam blocks for toddlers are quite expensive and just sewing a vinyl cover would be simple enough. Basically I want to make a 10" cube like this:

Brainbread posted:

A well done studio shot will beat an outdoor lighting photo any day.

You can buy one of those light tents mentioned in the previous post or do it yourself. Just get some white bedsheets and position the lights some distance behind them so the entire sheet is lit up. Put your camera on a tripod or something sturdy, turn off flash and switch it to Tungsten white balance (if you use CFLs things are more involved). Instructables.com has a nice approach where you hang the bedsheets from an upside down chair or table and just place the object in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Cross_ posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions on where to find cheap foam ? Foam blocks for toddlers are quite expensive and just sewing a vinyl cover would be simple enough. Basically I want to make a 10" cube like this:

A well done studio shot will beat an outdoor lighting photo any day.

You can buy one of those light tents mentioned in the previous post or do it yourself. Just get some white bedsheets and position the lights some distance behind them so the entire sheet is lit up. Put your camera on a tripod or something sturdy, turn off flash and switch it to Tungsten white balance (if you use CFLs things are more involved). Instructables.com has a nice approach where you hang the bedsheets from an upside down chair or table and just place the object in the middle.

I should probably also invest in a good camera. One that has shutters that close. I'll see if I can give that a shot in the future (though I keep getting comments on people liking my house with my current approach).

• Locked thread