Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Keska posted:

So cute! It's making me want to design a snail myself.

Currently I'm working on another Sleipnir, this time with a bit of a death metal twist. Last week I finished a fairy doll for one of my coworkers, but I was running late on getting it done and didn't get a chance to take pictures.

flutterbyblue posted:

Eeee! You added the little feeler/mouth bits! :swoon:

I can take a quick photo of the pattern if anyone wants to make their own snail. I got an 89cm x 60cm painting in exchange for it~~

Also. Your Sleipnir looks so sad ;_;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
If you want to put up the pattern I wouldn't mind seeing it! (And maybe making one when I have time again).

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Brainbread posted:

I can take a quick photo of the pattern if anyone wants to make their own snail. I got an 89cm x 60cm painting in exchange for it~~

Also. Your Sleipnir looks so sad ;_;

I've been making plushies of weird animals for my nephew, so if you post the pattern he is sure to get a snail in the mail.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Warning: "Pattern's" I make are imcomprehensible. So I'll try to explain!

Body: Cut 1+1r
Eyestalks: 2+2r
Eyes: 2+2r
Little footy-thingies: 2+2r.

Cut out the marked Hole near the head of the body on both sides. Stitch the short, flat side of the bulb to one side of the eyestalk stem. Do the same for the other side. Put both halves and stitch together, leaving the base open. Attach this base to the hole in the body. Do the same for the other side.

Stitch together the feety things with the bottom open, and attach them to the body where marked, on the bottom left. Unfold them, stuff them, and move them inside the body so you can't really see them from the bad side. They'll get stitched over when you attach the bottom.

Stitch the halves of the body from the mark at the top-left on the body, along to the top, to the middle of the back where it says "leave open". Skip that spot, and stitch from its right end to the mark at the bottom right of the body.

Bottom: 1

The dash at the top goes where the two outside edges of the body meet. Stitch this pieces to the lower edges of the body.

Unfold the eyestalks, stuff them, then unfold the body and stuff it. Then you can stitch the body closed.

Shell: 1x+1r
Triangle: 1x+1r

The shell is a bit more complicated, based on how I do it. If you don't have long enough of one colour, feel free to put two together for this. Its what I did. For reference, the shell is about 2.5x as thick and long as the bottom of the body. So make the whole snail whatever size you wish.

Anyways. Cut out both sides of the body. You can either stuff the shell entirely, or use a batting, like I did. I really recommend the batting since it makes the whole shell more uniform, if making it take longer. Stitch the Triangles onto one side, and then attach them onto the other side. Then continue with the pattern.

For batting: Lay the batting (thickly) underneath one side of the shell. Stitch the remainder of both sides past the triangle together, leaving the opening at the front. When its together, fold the lip of the front over the bad side, covering the batting and giving the edge a nicer look. Stitch that in place. If not using batting, do the same -batting.

If using batting, unfold and roll the shell up tightly about 1/3rd the way towards the front. Its deliberately not-straight to make it a conal-spiral on one side. When its rolled up, do some terrible-looking stitching onto the unrolled side to keep it in place. If not using batting, lightly stuff it and do the same.

Stuff the remainder of the shell somewhat-thickly. Roll it up tightly for another 1/3rd the length, and stitch in place.

For the final part, you want to roll it up tightly and pin the bottom of the shell to the rest of the shell (As in, pull the bottom of the shell as far back as it goes, and take your pin on the INSIDE of the bottom, and pin it to the shell). Use a backstitch on the inside of this pinned area to attach it to the shell.

Once thats done, you'll need to attach it to the body.

Put the front of the shell opening near the back of the head, and the back of the shell opening near the back of the body. Unfold the lip of the shell so you can see the rough-inside edge of the lip (where you folded it back when making the shell).

Use a straight stitch to attach this all around the edge of the shell to the body. Pull it tight and close to the body so its not loose on the edges. When its almost done, pack the remainder of the space in the shell with stuffing, then stitch closed.

Now, fold the lip of the shall back down to cover the straight stitches, and use a back stitch to attach the good looking side down and too the body. I did this along the same line of stitches that were near the lip (that I put there to hold the fold in place when I made the shell).

Then you're done!

(If you need me to clarify something, I can and will!)

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying

flutterbyblue posted:

And thanks TheAbominableSnow. They would be pretty cute pillows and now I'm thinking of scaling one up for my office futon. Your new little critter definitely suits your handle. I like your mixed media approach to crafting. Is the "blood" some type of paint, or is it something else?

Yep, it's paint! I've been experimenting with different brands to figure out which ones dry looking wet or matte (and which on different materials).

I made a little toy of one of my characters from a comic. He's an evil little fucker in the comic and turned out appropriately (misleadingly) cute, so I'm pleased! I originally glued on the eyes and mouth but felt bad about that and am now much happier with the hand-sewn result.

I also finished my roommate's squid, but haven't taken the photos yet. I might try your snail next, Brainbread--thanks for the pattern!

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I think this might be the weirdest commission I've had yet:

The plush is an official Disney Banzai doll from the Lion King. He wanted a bishop's costume for it. I have no idea WHY.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Keska posted:

The plush is an official Disney Banzai doll from the Lion King. He wanted a bishop's costume for it. I have no idea WHY.

Cute! Also weird. How'd you do the pattern for the embroidery? As in, did you have to trace it or? Looks bitchin'!

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Keska posted:

I don't think I could have made it without asking.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

Brainbread posted:

Cute! Also weird. How'd you do the pattern for the embroidery? As in, did you have to trace it or? Looks bitchin'!

Oh, I didn't hand embroider that! Yikes, that would be a lot of work. The black & gold fabric is a brocade I picked up years ago. I just fussy-cut it so that the pattern was centered/mirrored for the hat and collar.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Keska posted:

Oh, I didn't hand embroider that! Yikes, that would be a lot of work. The black & gold fabric is a brocade I picked up years ago. I just fussy-cut it so that the pattern was centered/mirrored for the hat and collar.

Oh no! I meant, i have an embroidery machine - I was thinking of how much work it would have been even then to make the stitch pattern! That sounds way easier.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I've been working to stock up a shared Etsy store with my girlfriend. One of our cats had a urinary blockage... $2300 later and he's home safe and sound but that's a whole lot of money. So I'm trying to make stuffed animals with fabric I already have to raise funds. Sometimes that works out pretty well, like fuzzy sock owls:

Sometimes it doesn't, like this goofy-rear end tiger-striped Fat Cat:

Just about every fabric has some stretch, and it turns out the tiger fur stretches in the opposite direction of the minky I normally use...

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Keska posted:

I've been working to stock up a shared Etsy store with my girlfriend. One of our cats had a urinary blockage... $2300 later and he's home safe and sound but that's a whole lot of money. So I'm trying to make stuffed animals with fabric I already have to raise funds. Sometimes that works out pretty well, like fuzzy sock owls:

Just about every fabric has some stretch, and it turns out the tiger fur stretches in the opposite direction of the minky I normally use...

Awwwwwh. Ish so cute :3

Glad your kitty is ok, but wow thats not an expense you can plan for.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Keska posted:

What is your Etsy page? I think that tiger is adorable.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Made a Shiba plush for a raffle box for my rescue. Got this pattern off of Etsy but I'm not completely happy with the proportions or the way the pattern was made. I think I might change a bunch about it the next one I make, and possibly put in a beanbag butt. I think the body and the lower legs need to be bigger.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

paisleyfox posted:

Made a Shiba plush for a raffle box for my rescue. Got this pattern off of Etsy but I'm not completely happy with the proportions or the way the pattern was made. I think I might change a bunch about it the next one I make, and possibly put in a beanbag butt. I think the body and the lower legs need to be bigger.

:O I think I need to make one of these for Mona.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

It's nice because the embroidery files are included in the instructions and pattern, so I was able to send my mom fabric to make some paws and faces for me. I think the head came out well, but I want to tweak the nose, the ears and the butt/legs area.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/182336842/pattern-for-shiba-inu-plush

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
My niece's 5th birthday is on Sunday and being the broke bastard I am (and making things is always fun), I decided to make something for her. I'm a complete amateur at sewing, having used a machine a handful of times and a needle and thread probably about as many but I'm always up for trying new stuff. I got a quick lesson on how to repair and thread the machine after I "broke" it the first time I hit the pedal and I was on my own.

Being the total rookie I am, I needed something super simple. I tried making a little octopus from a pattern at first, but I started off way too small and any mistake I made was magnified so I gave up that idea. I tried looking for other patterns but they weren't anything I liked or were too complex. Then I realized I could just make my own from something simple.

I grabbed a pic of Pusheen, did a little tweaking in gimp to simplify it, printed it out and then added the ears and tongue part back in when it looked too boring.

Here's what I came up with cut out in felt and fleece.

And here's what I ended up with before stitching the plush-hole shut.

My niece is gonna love it because she's awesome like that and I'm ok with how goofy it looks because she'll love it.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
Now I need to make a Pusheen if I ever get back into this.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I'm currently working on a... well. Another squid. Except I'm literally making it out of odds and ends, so that should be nice.

NatashaQuick posted:

Now I need to make a Pusheen if I ever get back into this.

Do it.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So, this got posted to the Weirdest Fanart Thread

So, this was my shot at it (took about 3 hours from start of pattern making to the first run)

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
There's a sneak peek now of the first prototype of my jumping spider~

I guess I can understand moving the legs to the abdomen for ease-of-manufacture reasons but I wish they'd kept his moustache and made his pedipalps fuzzy. I do like that it appears they used a very light lavender in place of the white, looks classy!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Voltin Bolt posted:

I guess I can understand moving the legs to the abdomen for ease-of-manufacture reasons but I wish they'd kept his moustache and made his pedipalps fuzzy. I do like that it appears they used a very light lavender in place of the white, looks classy!

Does this mean I should make another one? xD

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Brainbread posted:

Does this mean I should make another one? xD
Any excuse for MORE SPIDERS is always a good one! I'm very curious to see what changes in the second prototype though, sounds like it only needed minor tweaking so it might show up in ~2 months if previous designs are anything to go by.

Also I didn't mention it here before because it was a bit too 2D, but I also have a winning pillow design that should be out sometime in December :3:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Voltin Bolt posted:

Any excuse for MORE SPIDERS is always a good one! I'm very curious to see what changes in the second prototype though, sounds like it only needed minor tweaking so it might show up in ~2 months if previous designs are anything to go by.

Also I didn't mention it here before because it was a bit too 2D, but I also have a winning pillow design that should be out sometime in December :3:

Well. I'm sorta unemployed right now so I have some spare time. If I get the motivations to jump on it, I will! (I just hate making spheres, SO MUCH)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!

Voltin Bolt posted:

I'm so friggin excited! It will live on my couch (and one of my buddies is going to probably smother me with it for that. He is not fond of spiders.)

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Voltin Bolt posted:

Hrmm. I could also be lazy and buy it when it comes out, pop off all of its legs and put them in the right spot.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
So much cuteness lately!

Voltin Bolt - I do wish they'd kept the fuzzier bits on your spider design, they were very cute.

Most of my crafting time recently was taken up with a custom plush I was making as a gift for one of my close friends:

This is Scurvy. He's a cat, and a pirate, and one of the characters in a fun little webcomic, On The Couch: http://www.surlyqueen.net/ (I also recommend her other comic, Life on a Stick. I'm in it sometimes!)

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Keska posted:

So much cuteness lately!

Voltin Bolt - I do wish they'd kept the fuzzier bits on your spider design, they were very cute.

Most of my crafting time recently was taken up with a custom plush I was making as a gift for one of my close friends:

This is Scurvy. He's a cat, and a pirate, and one of the characters in a fun little webcomic, On The Couch: http://www.surlyqueen.net/ (I also recommend her other comic, Life on a Stick. I'm in it sometimes!)

That really gives me a Max vibe from Sam & Max and now I have the urge to try to make a plushie of him.

In case no one got my reference.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Yeah, I'm pretty sure his design had a Sam & Max influence, tho Scurvy has a lot more cartoonish plasticity in his movements and expressions. By far the trickiest part of the plush was the hands, so let me show you my pattern:

Keska fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 16, 2014

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Keska posted:

So much cuteness lately!

This is SO GOOD!!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Hey, thread! Long time no see. I went through the thread since I disappeared and I love all of it, especially Keska and abominable's work.
I now have no access to a computer or Wii U and tons of free time, which means more plushies!
I'm currently working on a plush for my cousin - nothing fancy, just a half-sphere with legs. However, I'd like to make the face customizable by cutting Velcro into different facial expressions so you can put them on and off at will. Does anyone know where I can get something like that? Keep in mind I live in Europe and I don't want to spend half the expenses on shipping.

Lastly, what do you think of a secret Santa in this thread? I know it might be a bit late, but I think if we get assigned to different folks in the thread and ship a plush to them it'd be a nice way to get motivated.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Aww, thanks, everybody!

I've been drowning under a pile of Sleipnir plushies I have to get done in time to ship for Christmas. :derp:

I might be able to scare up a small plush for a Secret Santa if people want to do one, tho.

HorriblePencilist - How important is it that the plush you're making be cuddly? The first thought that comes to my mind is that it would be easiest if the whole face area was made from the hook side of the velcro, then you could just use fuzzy, non-fraying fabric like felt or fleece to make different eyes, noses, etc.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

I could do a small secret santa plush. I've got a fair bit of plushing do to for the holidays but already sent out my SASS stuff, so it's totally doable for me! (Also thanks!)

This is what I've been work on in my spare time:

It's not done yet--I'm trying to figure out to get clothes on the little fucker with his weird proportions. Probably gonna have to sew them directly around his body at this point. He's fully wired and posable from ears to toes, and stands on his own if his limbs are correctly balanced. My most ambitious toy to date, I think! Doing sculpted claws was a loving nightmare but worth it in the end.

TheAbominableSnow fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 5, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Keska posted:

Aww, thanks, everybody!

I've been drowning under a pile of Sleipnir plushies I have to get done in time to ship for Christmas. :derp:

I might be able to scare up a small plush for a Secret Santa if people want to do one, tho.

HorriblePencilist - How important is it that the plush you're making be cuddly? The first thought that comes to my mind is that it would be easiest if the whole face area was made from the hook side of the velcro, then you could just use fuzzy, non-fraying fabric like felt or fleece to make different eyes, noses, etc.

I was thinking of having a black piece of fabric as the face and just using little bits of Velcro for individual face pieces like the mouth, eyes etc. the hook part of Velcro sticks to fleece, right? If that's the case, I can just stick it on the body itself. I'm just worried about how presentable the backside is - is it a solid, nice looking color? If not, I'll have to sew extra fleece on it.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

You might want to test the specific types of fleece and velcro you're going to be using; some types of fleece are very slick and resistant to snagging. Have you considered looking into velcro wall hangers to cannibalize pieces from? There are some sold where I'm at that are basically sets of little square stickers, one half backed with hooks and the other with fuzz. I've used them in various non-wall-hanging applications because they're uniformly sized, pre-paired to each other, and easy to sew onto other things.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Well, here's what Amazon UK has for sew-on Velcro: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...3AVelcro+sew+on

Fleece usually sticks to Velcro, but yeah, some fleece is better than others. The fuzzier it looks, the better, I've found.

TheAbominableSnow, that monster is amazing! How did you anchor the claws?

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

Thank you! Here's a closeup on the hands, both before and after sewing:

The claws are sculpey fired directly onto the skeleton. In order to get them through the fingers, I had to leave the ends of the hands unsewn when I turned it inside out and then sew the fingers/bind them with embroidery thread for added security. Went through two test arm sleeves before I managed to figure that out.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

TheAbominableSnow posted:

Thank you! Here's a closeup on the hands, both before and after sewing:

The claws are sculpey fired directly onto the skeleton. In order to get them through the fingers, I had to leave the ends of the hands unsewn when I turned it inside out and then sew the fingers/bind them with embroidery thread for added security. Went through two test arm sleeves before I managed to figure that out.

I hope no-one tries to cuddle that plush :ohdearsass:

Awesome idea though. I can't wait to see how he/she/they/it turns out!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Sorry for not posting much - I get little access to the sewing machine so I only managed to make about 7 seams.
What are some good projects that are easy to hand-sew?
Also, I'm really interested in embroidery but there's no way I can afford one/know I like sewing enough to justify one right now. Is there a way to embroider something with similar effects without a machine? Before you say it, I'm pretty sure my machine doesn't have a satin stitch option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

horriblePencilist posted:

Sorry for not posting much - I get little access to the sewing machine so I only managed to make about 7 seams.
What are some good projects that are easy to hand-sew?
Also, I'm really interested in embroidery but there's no way I can afford one/know I like sewing enough to justify one right now. Is there a way to embroider something with similar effects without a machine? Before you say it, I'm pretty sure my machine doesn't have a satin stitch option.

I can't remember the term for it, but something I originally did for getting eyes and other embroidery-like-details, was stitching yarn to the plushie. As in, laying down yarn flat onto the material in the pattern that I wanted, and using thread of the same colour to tightly affix it into place.

I think there is a proper term for this though.

• Locked thread