Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I had no idea there was a thread like this on here. I have always wanted to learn sewing and start making creepy little stuffed things. I have been looking at some of the stuff over in the Sewing Megathread for a bit, but is there anything useful to read to get started with stuffed plush things, like a pattern making book or some such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

What horror has my first attempt brought into this world?

Just finished my first monstrosity and had to show someone. I finally mustered enough effort to start and finish one of these little guys after, what, a year+ of posting in this thread asking for advice. I made a lot of mistakes, but I learned a lot and know how to fix them for the next one. Lookin' forward to making one for my girlfriend tomorrow that hopefully isn't so adorably deformed and broken.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

Um.. is it a squash? A dolphin?

It's an owl! A terrible, terrible, owl, but I still love the ugly little bugger.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Keska posted:

Salsa McManus if you're still interested in making sock owls, there's a great tutorial on Deviantart for a very cute one. The one thing it doesn't mention is that it works best with toddler socks - you can try a child's sock like I did but it will make a very fat owl.
Oh god, that owl is adorable. I've been using this book to make little things. I was actually going to go get some baby socks soon because there is a little newt thing in that book that uses them as well. Soon I'm going to be knee deep in sock owls.

I made another sock owl a few days after the first one and it actually resembles an owl. The beak is little off center, but hey, this one doesn't look like a pumpkin.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Serious question here! How could I go about making a stuffed grub/larva puppet thing? I'm having trouble figuring out a good way to make the body segmented like without using a multiple passing of basting stitches. The head is giving me a bit of trouble too, but that's not too bad.

I look online for maybe a few grub plushes for inspiration but all what I get is Homestuck stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Jawesome! Thanks, that actually helped me a lot. I messed with that style a bit and came out with something that works wonderful for what I want.

• Locked thread