Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I'm no Brainbread (Your work looks fantastic), but I've also started sewing ponies.

This is actually the first time I've made a pattern, so I've still got some kinks to work out. The other pony is for current size comparison.

I know the eyes are going to be Sculpey, but I haven't decided how to do the flank marks yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Setbacks!

First, I fell into the water with my camera (an expensive lesson), then I've been too busy with holiday crap to do much work on the ol' Doctor.

Now I just need to do the ears, bake and paint the eyes, sew up the tail, and make a back gusset so he doesn't look like he's doing the splits all the time.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Brainbread posted:

Are you stitching him along the outside on the back?

Also, finally got her listed. Little beanie griffon (Gilda).

I'm going to turn it back inside-out for most of the stitching, then right-side out to stuff, and stitch between the back legs.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Finished Doctor Whooves tonight, so he'll be going on eBay in a couple days. I also found my mom's old sewing machine and managed to get it dusted off and set up.

I'm pretty pleased with how he came out, considering he's the first attempt off my first attempt at pattern-making.

He's a bit taller than the Kurojaki (from Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, and stands around 12 inches from ear to foot) plush I did for practice. Kuro is made of felt and terrible stitching.

Yee-ha. Either Fluttershy or Big Mac are next, since I have the fleece for both.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Just finished this:

Orion from Ginga Densetsu Weed: Orion.

About 6-7 hours, not counting pattern-making or cutting.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Brainbread posted:

Not familiar with the source, but it looks cute! Does he/she/it balance alright with that pose?

Yeah, he balances pretty well. I've been reading a lot of books on sewing plush toys, and found a tip for sort of binding the legs in place for added sturdiness.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I just started sewing again, and I'm working on a giant Gin from the series Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin because yay, dogs. And by giant, I mean it looks like he'll be around 18 inches tall at the shoulder, only a couple inches smaller than a real Akita. Trying some new things, with the open mouth and actual foot bottoms rather than just sewing both sides flat together. And he's completely hand-sewn, because I can't get my mom's old machine to work.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Oh my. I'm [u]ddefinitely[/i] asking for a sewing machine for my birthday or Christmas. I'm willing to trade hand cramps and needle jabs for the remote possibility of running a moving needle through my hand.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Another Ginga plush, because they seem to be the most fun for me to sew.

This time it's a villain - P4 "Kaibutsu" from Ginga Densetsu Weed.

His markings are painted on, and not quite done yet. And the kitchen is covered in faux fur.

Comparison shot to the first plush I made (using a free pattern) around 4(?) years ago. After that, I started marking my own patterns through trial and error.

Mostly error.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Making a set of plush emoticons for a "GBS Thread of the Week" prize and annoying Sheila all at once. Haven't started on the next two. One's going to be :3:, but I haven't decided on the third.

E: :v: :3: :butt:

Flaccid Trip fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 8, 2015

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Wow, this thread is dead. Just finished a plush of Hōgen from Ginga Densetsu Weed. He's pretty small, since I'd never rafted a pattern for a laying pose, and didn't want to waste too much fabric in the event of a colossal gently caress-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good sewing machine for someone whose last real time using one was in home-ec 15 years ago? Somethin good for plush-making, but maybe with embroidery settings? eBay is probably gonna be my go-to for buying, and I want some input.

• Locked thread