Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Brainbread, if you're still reading - how big is your cuttlefish? I tried making one with pretty small tentacles and even with a knitting needle couldn't turn them rightside out afterwards. I need to scale up I guess. :(

So, I made a thing.

The pattern came from a book called "The Woman's Day Book of Soft Toys and Dolls", circa 1975. It's supposed to be a March Hare, but my color choice made it look more like Disco Stu.

For a first attempt, I'm fairly pleased with it. I made some dumb mistakes (like forgetting to face the ears the right way before seaming them into the head :doh:)and I learned a lot by figuring out how to correct them.

The clothing was the worst. It's HARD to machine-hem a tiny armhole when the sleeve is already seamed shut! I originally didn't want to clothe him at all, but since the pattern planned on hiding his entire upper body with clothing, the neck and arm connections are pretty lame. Next time I'll attach them better and be able to make one without the clothing. I think he needs to be chubbier and his eyes need to be black buttons instead of these kermit-like things.

One thing I'm very pleased about is that everything I used to make him - with the exception of the orange thread on his clothing and his stuffing - is reclaimed/vintage. I scored a huge bag of thread, embroidery thread, yarn, and buttons for $5 at a local thrift store. The fabric is out of a dumpster: I work upstairs from what used to be a high-end furniture/home decorating store. The kind that custom makes ALL your decor, and sells poo poo like $9000 couches. Last month they moved to a bigger location, and in cleaning out their basement, they threw away all their old fabric samples. I scored two full carloads:

The samples range from 4"x6" to 20"x30". There's velvets, cottons, fleeces, things I don't even know the name of. There's swatches of handloomed natural silks which were selling for $200 per yard. I have every color, pattern, and type of fabric you could imagine. I have so much fabric that I quite literally don't know where to start. I'm terrified to use some of it because it's so beautiful that I'm afraid I'd gently caress it up.

I'm planning on making it all into stuffed animals and selling it on etsy to support my animal rescue. Realistically, I've got more than I could ever use, even if I made a toy a day, but I know I could never afford to BUY fabric like this, so I don't dare get rid of any of it! So if anyone has any adorable patterns, especially of rabbits or guinea pigs, please share them. I'm sure I'll run out of ideas before I run out of material.

alucinor fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread