Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098327/

I knew it would be bad. Martial arts movies are rarely the stuff of cinematic legend, let along a movie based on a cartoon based on a Japanese comic book. But WOW, this was the best they could do for $100 million with a low-rent cast?

-A horrible plot. I mean, Avatar justifiably gets grief for being "a 3d film with a 2d plot", but this is an actively bad plot. Confusing as hell if you're not familiar with the source material, a weird and unsatisfying take on it if you are, and generally cornball bullshit. Hardly anything is properly explained, characters do things with hardly any proper motivation, utter failures to have a fresh take on old sci-fi/fantasy cliches such as the "good character versus evil lookalike shapeshifter and the hero doesn't know who to hit". Yikes. Script and acting aren't as bad as the plot but they aren't good either.

-Bad design/look/CG. The visual was going to be the key to this, and instead it's as actively bad as the plot. So many CG effects would look sub-par ten years ago and are laughable now. The look of Piccolo is just godawful, sub-SyFy makeup. Yes, everyone has spikey hair in the cartoon, but when the hero walks up to a bunch of bullies and everyone involved looks like they spent five hours geling up their 'do it makes them all look like douches.

-NOTHING MAKES SENSE. Are they in Japan? If so why are there random Americans (counting Ernie Hudson here)? Why were they speaking Japanese in what looked like a burnt-out third-world/Chinese village? Why was Piccolo's sidekick chick helping him? Who signed off on pretty much anything that had to do with Yamcha? Does Emmy Rossum really have nothing better to do??

One of the worst movies ever. 0.5/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Years ago I saw the disastrous attempt at making a live action Dragon Ball film that was Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins. At that time I thought I might never see anything worse in my lifetime. Dragon Ball: Evolution proved me wrong.

This film is what happens when someone makes a movie with absolutely no knowledge of the source material. Honestly I have no doubt that the script came about like this:

Writer: Oh drat, I slept all weekend, and now I only have an hour to write a Dragon Ball script.

Writer's Eight-Year-Old Son: Isn't that where Goku fires lasers to battle Luffy the pirate cuz Naruto and Sailor Moon wanted the Gundam?

Writer: Sounds good to me. It writes its self.

I will give this movie some credit, and only some. It started off sort of cool. A loser high-schooler who gets teased, but in reality he's an amazingly powerful martial artist, and he decides to finally show off his powers to get the girl he wants. Honestly the whopping one minute fight between Goku and some bullies at a party is the highlight of this film. If they had dropped the whole Dragon Ball name, and made this a movie about some powerful guy who shows off and maybe there's some consequences then it probably would have been alright. Instead it was a mess.

This film doesn't deserve a 0. Zero is too good for it. It should get a negative score. So I'm giving it -5 out of 5 because it damaged my childhood.