Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I've been trying to figure out how to access whistle register, but I can't seem to get it to go. I tried the vocal fry glissando trick, but all that seems to happen is that I end up doing witches voice around A5-C6, especially once I try to power it up a little bit. I imagine that that's not what the musculature is supposed to feel like for whistle register, so I'm guessing I am doing something wrong and/or haven't happened into the mechanical position to produce it. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Aristophanes posted:

Why do you want whistle register? Are you trying to sing "Emotions" by Mariah Carey or something? I don't think everyone is able to access whistle, so you just might not physically be able to do it. But to give yourself the best chance you need to eliminate tension in your neck and jaw and keep your head in a neutral position (i.e no tilting downwards, slouching etc). In terms of musculature you should be feeling as little as possible, and whatever you do feel engage should be in your lower body anyway. Also don't try to push yourself up there, it should feel like you're using hardly any air, because it's just enough to phonate so high without blowing out. You don't need "power" in whistle; the note is so high that it'll carry on its own just by existing. Perhaps try making sad puppy dog noises as high as you can and just exploring your upper range.

Out of curiosity, what's the vocal fry glissando trick?
Just to be able to do it if I wanted to basically. It would be nice to have the option. No particular practical objective at the moment other than curiosity. I'm definitely not hurting for more range or anything like that. It's not a big deal if I can't or just can't figure it out. I wanted to give it a shot though. When I do puppy whimpers right now it winds up at the top of modal voice and I'm not really sure what to do differently to produce sounds that high (not counting falsetto). I feel like I'm just trying to stretch more instead of using a different kind of production when I target higher pitches without trying to do anything else.

I've read several people say they happened into it by doing a vocal fry and "sliding it up". I haven't heard anyone actually do said trick without some kind of significant break though, so I dunno how much that really counts as a glissando anyway.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

When I played singstar way back now in the day it had a pitch line which matched the vocal melody. Is there a free version of that I can use with a regular mic? Sounds silly but I'm just trying to find my feet with real songs instead of bellowing in the shower.
I got into some bad habits this way because unless they've gotten a lot better, you aren't scored on good technique, only getting a correct fundamental frequency. Unless your ears are terrible and/or you can't eliminate the dissonance wobbles singing along to things (maybe while also using a tuner program so you can see the cents difference), it might not be the best route. Maybe you'll be ok though.

I don't know offhand if there is any free software of that sort. I'd assume there is though.

• Locked thread