Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

RobattoJesus posted:

I'm so glad this thread popped up, I always have little questions about vocals and wish there was a singers megathread, and now there is! :)

I've not recorded anything for quite some time and had the whole "drat, my voice isn't as good as I think it is" moment when I was doing the vocals for my Rockstar entry:

I've decided to try to improve my vocal skills as much as possible before the submission date, then re-record them.

The bits that irritate me in the song are: timing. I think I turned the metronome off, which threw me on a few bits particularly when there was a pause and I had to come in with the piano. Also the first "Heeeeeeereeee" is REALLY horrible and breathy, but I think that was me backing off and I can do that much better now.

Also I think I have a really girly voice, and want to manly it up (preferably without taking up smoking again :)), funnily enough I have a fairly manly speaking voice. I've been experimenting with starting off talking and adding pitch with varying success... any hints?

You have a decent voice but I can understand why you'd worry its "girly" becasue it is a bit thin at times.

Try placing the sound up in the nose more, start with a big low brassy hum. Then try to put some heavy vibrato into it while humming a song, think of scat or blues singers.

I'm not an expert but I have the same problem and I think a lack of weight in your voice tends to come from being too tense, weightyness is looseness, if you tense up at all you tend to sound thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

AquaVita posted:

I've been singing a long time, but I have a consistent problem with vibrato and using way too much of it. At least, too much uncontrolled vibrato.

The most recent example of singing for me is the cover of Sober I did a few rockstars ago

You can hear especially when I end higher notes that I always do the shaky vibrato thing. A lot of people seem to like it stylistically, but I'd like to be able to have the kind of control over my voice that enables me to not always do it, or at least have better control over it, like to be able to make the vibrato waves longer or something.

Any tips for that I would really appreciate. And I always enjoy general critiques as well.

Im guessing that the vibrato and the fact that you sound like youre straining on "jesus wont you loving whistle" are aspects of the same problem. You sound like your larynx is way up there and you're trying way too hard for every note.

It comes out in the not so high notes too, you cut phrases short so rather than a smooth attack onto and off of the note theres a strained staccato aspect.

I think what would help a lot is any SLS style singing tutor becasue everything SLS related always seems to be about releasing tension as much as possible.

Try ascending and descending scales of "ga" starting low and moving up to the limits of falsetto. Keep the motion free and easy and check you're not going "n-ga" (excessive tension coming onto the note) or "ga-uh" (excessive tension coming off it), ideally it should be nothing more than a breath with the little click of the onset of the "G". Its a good excersice for eliminating tension and teaching your body how to move into a sound with limited amount of effort. Its important to get that right becasue once your body has comitted a certain amount of energy into the onset of a sound it cant really take it back.

Also check your resonators; your nose, chest wherever. There are better places to lean a sound on that aren't your throat.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 14, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Make a hissing sound where you expel air from your teeth and try to hold it for a solid 30 seconds.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

quote:

Hi all,

I've been really encouraged by a lot of the feedback people are getting - seems like some of you folks know your stuff. I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about how to record singing? I know 'holding a microphone up to your mouth' isn't the best way, but does anyone have any advice on cheap, effective methods?

Really all you need is a microphone, a pop filter and a room thats fairly acousticly dead, solutions for the latter I've seen involve putting up a matress against the wall, using a cupboard, the singer singing with a blanket over his head ect. Remember any wall behind the singer is going to be sending reverberations back into the mic.

Also dont put it up to your mouth, but like 3 inches away is fine.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 1, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Law Dog posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for a singer looking into getting into screaming - I have a decent voice but want to branch out my abilities as my tastes in music have been shifting towards metal/hardcore etc.

I looked into Zen of Screaming but it seems to be tailored towards those who have already figured out how to do it and want to develop techniques to make sure they don't damage their voice.

First off dont think about tone at all, be prepared to make some ugly sounds, remember as long as you are on pitch, and not hurting everything is fine. Your voice will probably feel a little different night to night, gently caress it, work with what you've got.

Strong tone develops as a byproduct of endurance. Basically if you can develop the technique to yell for 40 minutes straight without feeling tired or burnt out then your voice will naturally start to sound like someone who is powerful at yelling. So dont think about trying to sound like this or that singer, just focus on making it through the set.

Secondly good breathing is all important, there are tonnes or resources on this but good breathing means NOT feeling like you're pumping your lungs like a bellows and expending your whole reserves of air with every push. Breathing should be easy, you should always feel like youve got enough air left over to extend the phrase if you felt like it.

Thirdly, once you've commited a certain amount of pressure at the onset of a note your body has immense trouble taking it back. What this means is that the moment you think "man I am going to smack the gently caress out of this upcoming note" you're screwed. Your body slams into it like a brick wall, your throat tightens up, you loose control of the note and in attempt to reign it in you tighten up even more.

The solution is when youre practising or warming up start by adding grit to the END of the note, not the beginning. Sing a note as a clean ahhhhh, moving into gritty then backing off. Once your body has a sense of how much pressure is sensible to apply and how much is just stupid things get a lot easier.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

kangal posted:

So getting to band rehearsal means about an hour alone in the car, so (apart from just singing along to demos) what are some good warmups? I do scales but it never seems to give me a warmed-up ready to go feeling. Can anybody recommend some exercises to open the throat up for about 5 hours of practice?

Get a good buzz going in your nose then rev yourself up like a motorbike. Start from the lowest note you can sustain a buzz on then move up, take your time and go back over and over the same notes until you can really feel the vibration on them. Dont get louder as you go up, slip into head voice them falsetto.

This is also good if you're feeling phlemy becasue if you're doing it right it rattles the mucus clean off your chords.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 17, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Law Dog posted:

I think that if we waited for other people to give constructive feedback from a classically-trained point of view there would be several aspiring singers who wouldn't be making any progress.

Thanks Triple Tech for your dedication to vocal goons! Thanks Three Red Lights for answering my question! :)

A few more things re: screaming.

I tend to think of a sung note as being kind of a buzz. As in your chest buzzes, your nose buzzes and that buzz is what makes the sound ring out clear. A scream is NOT like that, if you think of a scream being as a sung note with some extra grit on it youre stacking extra tension onto an already kind of taut sound and your body rebels.

When I yell the sound feels like more behind the eyeballs, but more of a tickle than a buzz. Like a the feeling of a gust of air blowing (which is what it is), dont let your vocal chords go taut as if it was a sung note. You've got to let them distort and loose control a little and guide the sound exclusively with your diapghram.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 22, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ruinedhero posted:

I finished my first vocal lesson today, I'm trying to relax my throat and body more but it is tough. Here is the first week of my singing and I hope to see a progression from this rough cut to something much better in the next few months.

Go with the flow (first verse and chorus)

This sounds really tacky but if you're singing acapella click your fingers or stamp your feet or something to keep time.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I always feel I sing better when I'm hungover, but I think that has more to do with the fact that my throat feels so awful I'm doing everything in my power not to tense it up.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I like the stereo but I probably have no objective taste in that regard becasue I just love rotary speaker effects so goddamn much.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah G above middle C marks the top for a lot of peoples chest voice range. Going higher than that means a lot of work.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lots of rental rehersal spaces have like a solo practise room with just a piano and cd player or something. Theyre usually quite cheap.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

Noted. What's the best way to train yourself to open your throat more? I try forcing myself to yawn beforehand so I can get used to the feeling, but once I start singing it all seems to go by the wayside.

Also, I have a habit of tightening my throat muscles the higher I go. This is the exact opposite of what is good, right? What I mean is, should I actually try to open up even more as I go up?

Relax your throat, dont try and "force" it to stay open you'll just end up tensing it more.

Rolax your jaw and do scales of "goog"s and "gug"s and "coo"s starting low and blending into falsetto cleanly as you get higher, dont get louder.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

AriTheDog posted:

I never once sang scales with a voice teacher, but exercises were common. Lots of arpeggios, stuff with vowels, etc. That said, there was never any kind of "you need to exhale a bunch of times through your teeth before singing" or any bullshit like that,

I've had three vocal teachers and they've all done that excersise at some point. the idea is its meant to give a good foundation for breath control, so you're letting air out in a controlled fashion rather than over/underbreathing.

Its no good for warm ups but its a solid part of introducing a new singer to diaphramatic breathing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hawkgirl posted:

Augmented 4th/Diminished 5th/Tritone: Any song from West Side Story

Or, "the-simp-sons"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

cactuscarpet posted:

Prince is a baritone. That should say it all.

(Actually many, many amazing singers are. There aren't that many true tenors in pop really.)

A lot of pop vocals are about singers singing outside of what in classical voice would be considered their "proper" range so the restrictions dont apply as harshly as people think.

That said gandlethorpe regarding those high notes you're either going to hit them at volume, or blending into falsetto, or not at all, thats something you cant escape as you go higher.

Regarding the switch to falsetto, I dont know how to describe this but if I was doing it I'd think of it as two entirely seperate notes, I wouldnt try to do the scoop up between them "hold you wIIINN" thing it sounds like you're doing. Dont approach the note from underneath, if that makes sense, if anything land on it from above.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 17, 2011

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Singing in the nose is bad, singing in the "mask" is good.

Pinch your nose while you sing, if your voice changes you're doing it wrong.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

SLS style teaching and the way it talks about head voice and falsetto is the most confusing godddamn thing ever. As far as I can tell they're pretty much the same thing, albeit with "headvoice" being full and connected and "falsetto" being more thin.

Either way the full voice one definitely sounds like the wrong approach, the "head voice" one is almost there but with a few cracks that suggest its not properly supported.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Knowing where to push with your diaphragm is one thing, but its like training for a sport by training up one limb, if that poo poo isnt operating in tandem its not going to work.

What often happens is that you "push" with your diaphragm, your throat feels the incoming pressure and goes "uh uh, no way" and closes up, and what comes out is a strangled yelp, rather than a yell.

You gotta learn to ease in to a growl, and crucially OUT of a growl.

I had a big post written up but I closed the browser and lost it, send me an email at bigcrunch@hotmail.co.uk

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 22, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ASMR Yodeling posted:

Whew, that's brisk! But thank you for the feedback. When I've asked for serious critical feedback, I've gotten more "fine-tuning" than "basic problems." The idea that's been evolving for me is that I am in fact hopeless, and so she hasn't bothered with constructive criticism. Which is kind of hosed up now that I'm looking at it in print.

Yeah that guy was harsh but your teacher is loving with you, you have fundamental issues witch pitching and control that need to be fixed before moving on to "fine tuning".

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I used to play in a band where the singer was a real big fan of Tool and his vocals always sucked because he was big into that thing where Maynard Keenan enounciates ev-er-ey-syl-ab-le and it meant he never developed any real power because he was just jerking out every syllable instead of developing decent breath control.

Anyway, that was barely related to the rest of this post I just wanted to complain.

Toolguy isnt doing fry screams, he's doing a kind of aggressive belt, you wont be able to get there without volume.

People hammer on about diaphram control but it cant be emphesized enough, its ALL about diaphram control, here is the thing: yelling/belting does not work or feel like normal singing at all.

With normal singing you have a resonance in your head, then you open your mouth = a note.

With belting what often happens for the beginner is you try to add power+growl to the sung note, your voice goes "oh gently caress this" and closes up to protect itself = you get a lovely yelp.

(Or you just murder your vocal chords) youre adding tension on top of tension and your throat hates you for it, its closing up in anticipation.

The trick is to remove the "sing" part from the equation. Its not a sung note, its a pitched yell. And its pitched through diaphram control, not through your throat. So your throat can say "ok fine, if you're not leaning on me for control I guess I can loosen up a bit and growl for you"

My old singing teacher had me doing these swooping "hey hey HEYEYEAHHS" coming in and out of growl that sounded like James hetfield and poo poo, the point was to kind of deprogram away from "singing" using the throat and more to a kind of yelling which is more wild and uncontrolled, with accurate pitching coming later.

Anyway thats a lot of words to say "If you want to do it seriously get a vocal coach because its unconventional and you might hurt your voice"

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 18, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

Could you guys recommend a good mic I can use with my pc? I want to follow Rasselas's recommendation and start recording myself more often so I can actually use them for improving instead of sounding unsure.

Any critiques/tips on my singing (panicked sounding as it is :v:) would be appreciated; Rasselas already commented but every bit helps.

I started taking lessons on a whim, but I'unsure as gently caress when it comes to me singing. I'm... not sure if my voice is outright bad, if I'm just lacking practise or if I'm trying to sing way outside of my range and kneecapping myself.

What Mic you use doesn't really matter, use an sm58 like everyone else in the world and connect it via a cheap audio interface.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dont cough at all either if you can help it. If you need to phlem something drink water.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 21, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A whole octave? The difference between baritone and tenor range is only like 3 semitones.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Popcorn posted:

I could use some singing advice. I've been writing and recording songs for years, but singing is still my big weakness, and usually the area where my songs fail - I find it really hard to record takes that sound good enough.

So here's one example, the first verse from an unfinished song-in-process: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgngd0e2toabz9n/shatterheart%20verse.wav?dl=0

I did several takes and edited what sounded like the best bits into this clip. It still doesn't sound great to me. In particular, the last line, "who left you in charge?", sounds bad. The "who-oo" makes me cringe and I'm not sure why. It sounds exactly the same on every take I record, the same weak "who-oo". What's the problem here exactly?

I don't know anything about singing - the physical processes behind it like breathing and so on. So any advice is appreciated. What can I improve and do differently here? Is there a different way I could sing this?

You've got a good voice but a kind of thin, shakey vibrato. It would sound better either totally straight or with more confident vibrato but thats not an easy thing to fix. Its SO slight to the point of almost being inperciptable, but theres a slight waver on "w'hoo", you sound pretty tensed up.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

REALTHEWILL posted:

Someitmes if your trying to record your vocals and you can't clearly hear yourself, (your wearing headphones or the instrumental is loud), a nice trick I discovered is singing through a guitar amp to amplify your voice. It helps being able to actually hear yourself over the music when your record. Another trick is to try and put less effort into each individual note, instead of pushing out as hard as you possibly can straining yourself in the process, which is bad sounding and bad for you.

Guitar amps are designed to push guitar frequencies, you could sing through them but youd be better off with a monitor which is designed for that. Or just turning down the instrumental track and turning up the monitoring track or putting some reverb on the vocal to hear it reflected back at you.

• Locked thread