Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well, that's lovely. Thanks for the pointer anyway.

How's the US record on dealing with native people's rights, more generally speaking? Most of the major indigenous groups constantly clamor for some measure of selv-government. I know that this has been granted in a way with the native american "indian reservations", and as far as Guam goes it's pretty fascinating reading to see how much in common the Chamorro people have with other recognized indigenous people under special preservation or limited self-managment. Are the Chamorro people generally treated worse than native americans? Not to turn my nose up to the US or anything, they are neither the worst nor the best when it comes to native people's rights, but from a european perspective it's strange to see an issue like this arise without some state intervention to safeguard native rights and culture.

Yeah, our record is uhhh, pretty...bad....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Well, that's lovely. Thanks for the pointer anyway.

How's the US record on dealing with native people's rights, more generally speaking? Most of the major indigenous groups constantly clamor for some measure of selv-government. I know that this has been granted in a way with the native american "indian reservations", and as far as Guam goes it's pretty fascinating reading to see how much in common the Chamorro people have with other recognized indigenous people under special preservation or limited self-managment. Are the Chamorro people generally treated worse than native americans? Not to turn my nose up to the US or anything, they are neither the worst nor the best when it comes to native people's rights, but from a european perspective it's strange to see an issue like this arise without some state intervention to safeguard native rights and culture.

in short, if you wipe 99% out you can fit the remainder on land nobody else wants

not exactly recommended

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah, our record is uhhh, pretty...bad....

Comparatively, you wouldn't believe how lovely a lot of natives have been treated in europe and asia. I mean, mostly stopping short of genocide. I was more thinking of native's rights in the US (or Canada and Mexico, for that matter) in TYOOL 2017, because I don't really know very much about that subject and I couldn't find a comprehensive anything about it. Last I read about was that goddamned Dakota pipeline.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The paradox is that what we believe today about justice for native populations would have never led our countries to acquire the territories containing those populations in the first place.

It will always be a hairy issue, unless contemporary powers want to just give the land back.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Didn't NZ pretty much give a lot of land back to the Maoris upon finally acknowledging the treaty between the brits & maoris had translation issues?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I don't think there's any giving the land back at this point. But, I'm in favor of reparations for African Americans and first Nations people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Comparatively, you wouldn't believe how lovely a lot of natives have been treated in europe and asia. I mean, mostly stopping short of genocide. I was more thinking of native's rights in the US (or Canada and Mexico, for that matter) in TYOOL 2017, because I don't really know very much about that subject and I couldn't find a comprehensive anything about it. Last I read about was that goddamned Dakota pipeline.

What happened to native americans in the US can really only be described as a shockingly effective genocide. It was a no man, no problem approach to solving the problem of native rights. An entire continent of people is now a tiny minority.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Abugadu posted:

But you can google 'guam plebiscite' and read the court opinion, which judges the CLTC's criteria (which was used in the plebiscite's law as the legal definition for those allowed to vote) as race-based and requiring strict scrutiny

Ah, ok; I see that Guam's organic act specifically incorporated the relevant part of the 14th amendment, making Tuaua v. US irrelevant.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

What happened to native americans in the US can really only be described as a shockingly effective genocide. It was a no man, no problem approach to solving the problem of native rights. An entire continent of people is now a tiny minority.

I can't speak in totality for all of eurasia, but conditions for native populations have been if not as outright hostile as the USA-native american warfare, obliteration of language, culture and traditional trades and crafts (effectively extinguishing the cultural uniqueness of indigenous peoples) and assimilation policies have been very widespread and very effective overall, and didn't really ever stop. Russia and China are particularly bad, but there are no innocent nations. None. There have been attempts and arguments made for certain reparations, but progress is slow because there's a good amount of political opposition to this idea, and in Europe the refugee issue has pushed it way way back.

I honestly don't see the US as dramatically worse, even if there's an obvious question of scale which isn't comparable. Then again, I don't really know the scope of the native american genocide, because it's simply not taught over here in any comprehensive way.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Kimsemus posted:

I'm finishing my 1L year, and landed an internship at the U.S. State Department, I wonder how lucky I got versus how much already having a security clearance helped. My career services office said it was a 11 out of 10 position since I want to go back to working for the fed anyway. A few of my classmates are pretty salty about it, so I don't know.

Are you going to be at L or somewhere else at State, mocking aside? When I got hired at Justice there was no consideration of clearance before hiring decisions, at least as far as I could tell.

I mean given everything right now, I'm glad I left the DoJ, but you can still find a good gig at the government. A guy I know who's currently private sector (not biglaw, but compliance at an I-bank) has gotten hired at L, apparently, but with a start time of "um, we'll get you more information when we know it, but don't expect anything within the next few months."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Every time you think no one could have been treated as poorly as native americans, remember that Australia is just America with social views about 40 years behind the US and deadlier snakes.

Fuuuuuuuck, they were still removing children in the 70s. Oh and when they apologized in 2008, there was a strong opposition to apologizing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

Every time you think no one could have been treated as poorly as native americans, remember that Australia is just America with social views about 40 years behind the US and deadlier snakes.

Fuuuuuuuck, they were still removing children in the 70s. Oh and when they apologized in 2008, there was a strong opposition to apologizing.

Yeah the aussies are a million times worse. I went to their history museum to learn about their native culture and whoops, turned out we forcibly stole all their children on purpose to eradicate all oral tradition and now have no idea what the aborigines were up to. Great times

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

nm posted:

America didn't really stop doing the non reservation Boarding school approach until like the late 70s, tho it was "voluntary"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I recently learned about Canadian Residential Schools (which basically kidnapped First Nations children to "christianize and civilize" them, and all the things that euphemism entails), which apparently didn't officially shut down entirely until 1996. So good job Canada, you suck too I guess

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

JohnCompany posted:

Are you going to be at L or somewhere else at State, mocking aside? When I got hired at Justice there was no consideration of clearance before hiring decisions, at least as far as I could tell.

I mean given everything right now, I'm glad I left the DoJ, but you can still find a good gig at the government. A guy I know who's currently private sector (not biglaw, but compliance at an I-bank) has gotten hired at L, apparently, but with a start time of "um, we'll get you more information when we know it, but don't expect anything within the next few months."

I already had clearance so that wasn't an issue, they put me in the Bureau of Legislative Affairs, I don't know much beyond that. :v:

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I've traveled a lot and the only country I've been to where it felt like the natives were treated well was New Zealand. Lots of countries even have museums about how poo poo they treated and even still treat their native cultures.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can confirm Australia is the worst.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Didn't NZ pretty much give a lot of land back to the Maoris upon finally acknowledging the treaty between the brits & maoris had translation issues?
Yeah the term 'Maoris' is pejorative so don't use it again. Instead type Maori. Or if you are feeling extra human: Māori.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Similarly, the term "lawyer" is pejorative. We prefer the term "wage slave."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
OMG guys.

I think I finally got a SovCit in traffic court.

He thinks he can't have been speeding in Texas because its not the STATE OF WASHINGTON.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yessssssssss.

Full story. Now.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

New lawyer starts in my government office. Went to a for profit school, but licensed 5 years. I take her on a work trip to teach her our niche practice.

I learn that she 1) drives uber at night, 2) rents out her apartment on air bnb, and 3) has maxed out credit cards.

I mean, I'm not rich, and I'm not great with money - but I don't have to drive uber to make ends meet. What the gently caress.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

JohnCompany posted:

Yessssssssss.

Full story. Now.

I won't find out until pre-trial in two weeks!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

New lawyer starts in my government office. Went to a for profit school, but licensed 5 years. I take her on a work trip to teach her our niche practice.

I learn that she 1) drives uber at night, 2) rents out her apartment on air bnb, and 3) has maxed out credit cards.

I mean, I'm not rich, and I'm not great with money - but I don't have to drive uber to make ends meet. What the gently caress.

Has she not heard of IBR?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Non-federal loans man.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Non-federal loans man.

I just got chills.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Non-federal loans man.

I still can't believe that I'm losing $350/mo simply because I checked the wrong box on my FAFSA 10 years ago. Why do they even let you take out private loans, honestly

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21719409-odd-legal-status-intended-help-prevent-pollution-and-other-abuses-new-zealand-declares

Speaking of NZ, this is pretty kickass. Rivers are people now for legal purposes. Hell yes

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
“Your Honor, the courtroom is flooding!”

“No, the Plaintiff is merely appearing pro se.”

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
gently caress me in the knee. Just lost a case against the justice department, and the judgment is a pile of bullshit. Goddamnit. Client is very unlikely to want to appeal either, because then it gets real expensive. You'd think mere factual lack of innocence would be no reason to rule against someone, but it turns out no.

Will beer and a semi-decent scotch remedy this? I believe a sovcit informed me I'm entitled to a remedy under admiralty law or something.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you're not drunk all day regularly then I can't help you bud.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

gently caress me in the knee. Just lost a case against the justice department, and the judgment is a pile of bullshit. Goddamnit. Client is very unlikely to want to appeal either, because then it gets real expensive. You'd think mere factual lack of innocence would be no reason to rule against someone, but it turns out no.

Will beer and a semi-decent scotch remedy this? I believe a sovcit informed me I'm entitled to a remedy under admiralty law or something.
What was the issue?
Your admiralty remedies are rum, buggery, and the lash, or any combination thereof.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

What was the issue?
Your admiralty remedies are rum, buggery, and the lash, or any combination thereof.

Can't really go into details, but basically police have municipal authority over firearms, driver's licenses (etc) and other specific licencing and may under certain circumstances recall a licence. There's a really weird chain of appeal on those decisions, ending in the supreme court though this case will die in the lower courts. Basically, the specific case is really marginal to the applicable ruleset and really kind of a grey area with cases going every which way and no supreme court rulings on the matter since maybe the early nineteen hundreds? Hard to predict outcome, at least.

One of the big reasons it was even a case to begin with is that it's part of a recent trend of increasing municipal authority overreach that stems solely from departmental directives and internal policy and has no basis in actual law (where nothing has changed the last 10-20 years), pretty much just municipal authority testing the legal boundaries of their decisions. Most of the time, David loving eats it and Goliat goes his merry way.

I like all those suggestions, but it's not quite the weekend yet. I'll take it under advisement.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I've been trying to avoid making this the "SlyFrog Depression Thread," but I had to share this, after all the discussion of MTHFR and such.

So I was trying to figure out this thing, etc. And I was looking through the list of drugs I have taken (which my psychiatrist definitely has - I literally wrote the entire list of drugs I have tried for him and it was included, and I also know it is in my electronic medical record which he has). I notice something called "Deplin."

I assume it was just some SSRI or something that one of the two psychiatrists I've seen in the past had me try. I look it up, and what is it? The exact L-Methylfolate that WhiskeyJuvenile was talking about - the form your body actually uses, as opposed to the folic acid my body cannot properly break down into it.

The guy may well have prescribed the wrong thing (folic acid), and on top of which, did not not loving bother to notice that I had already taken the right thing in the past (albeit without any noticeable change, which is why I stopped taking it under doctors instructions to stop).

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

New doctor for real. If accused of doctor shopping, use this as Exhibit A.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
yuuuuuup

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Non-federal loans man.

It's comforting to know that someone out there has made worse financial decisions than me in life.

Roger_Mudd posted:

New doctor for real. If accused of doctor shopping, use this as Exhibit A.

And this, holy poo poo dude.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
ha, one of my coworkers at doc review is an Illinois state rep. probably because they didn't get paychecks for nearly a year due to political infighting but I'm still surprised she wasn't at a firm somewhere

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

ha, one of my coworkers at doc review is an Illinois state rep. probably because they didn't get paychecks for nearly a year due to political infighting but I'm still surprised she wasn't at a firm somewhere

Go to law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Every time I feel like venting about a Dallas lawyer in this thread, I think to myself, "theres no way its Mudd or Scraps, or someone they knw, right?... Probably not. Better not."