Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Ooooh, I gotcha. We do retainers too, esp. for court fees. I was picturing you just loitering around the court house like some sort of lost house elf then getting called into court by some judge who'd saddle you with a client right then and there which you'd have to defend on the spot. Maybe I'm prejudiced because when I think about it now that seems very anti-semitic against US lawyers.

Oh, this happens, especially in criminal court. You wouldn't be jumping straight into a trial, but you might end up walking into an arraignment with basically zero knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Omerta posted:

Lol at anything other than federal court. I'm so happy I have, at most, 2 state court cases a year.

state court is only slightly more modern than trial by ordeal, pretty much regardless of what state you're in

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Fun adventures in being a young attorney:

lovely, condescending emails from older attorneys.

quote:

(Scraps)

Haven't had a single minute to get to this Decree yet, but will do so next week--I promise! Not sure what is going on these days, but this is the busiest I have been with work in 33 years!! (Before you were even born...)
We'll get it knocked out next week, and I appreciate your patience.

Roger, if you think about which attorney we both respect and loathe, you'll know who sent it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

Roger, if you think about which attorney we both respect and loathe, you'll know who sent it.

one of the partners i work with talks about his thirty years of experience with one opposing attorney all the time and it drives the other attorney up the loving wall, so much that i think a reference to it even showed up in one of his settlement demand emails

i haven't figured out yet if he's doing it intentionally to gently caress with the guy or not

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
A guy I worked with when I was just out of law school, only about 7 years older than me, liked to make references about poo poo that happened in the 80s and 90 and smugly say, "You're probably too young to remember this but..."

At first it annoyed me but then I started doing the same thing, except I would say "You're probably too old to remember this..." and then he stopped.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

gently caress her for being so good.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

gently caress her for being so good.

I asked her once why she wasn't a partner at KoonsFuller and she smiled and said "You think they haven't offered?"

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I hope lawyer afterlife is getting to be one of those fat guys in hell that pokes clients with a pitchfork when they get too close to crawling out of the lava pit

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
how the gently caress is there nothing in the MPEP or CFR that requires claims to each be on their own line?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Nonexistence posted:

I hope lawyer afterlife is getting to be one of those fat guys in hell that pokes clients with a pitchfork when they get too close to crawling out of the lava pit

Incidentally that's lawyer heaven.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

how the gently caress is there nothing in the MPEP or CFR that requires claims to each be on their own line?

lol what so all the claims are just in a giant paragraph?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Just interviewed for a job in my office. My interviewers were my direct boss and two guys I drink and play softball with. Not bad odds.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zo posted:

lol what so all the claims are just in a giant paragraph?

they just forgot to put a line break between two claims but I'm looking for a basis to object and whatever I just did it without any basis

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I have the day off today for Statehood Day. Have fun at your desks, clowns!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

they just forgot to put a line break between two claims but I'm looking for a basis to object and whatever I just did it without any basis

So just being a normal patent examiner then.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gret posted:

So just being a normal patent examiner then.

Making Patent Examination Pointless

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

evilweasel posted:

state court is only slightly more modern than trial by ordeal, pretty much regardless of what state you're in

Only thing that's worse is the NLRB. Everything is a non-exclusive 15-factor test. The factors change depending on the season and humidity. The deciding factors are what the Board had for lunch and whether the entrails auger a reversal of precedent. The test may be ignored based on public policy considerations. The most important consideration is whether the Board gets to do what it wants, which strongly weighs in favor of whatever the Board decides.

If a new test is created, the decision must be at least 50 pages, never use the word "test" or list the factors, and have no citations to the record. All new tests must be applied retroactively because gently caress you, that's why.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
"Hey - we have some mutual friends, I know [X] and [X] - I have solid grades, am in the top 10% of [TTT], but was on vacation during OCI, so I missed it - do you have opportunities at [Big Law] outside of the OCI process - I'd love an opportunity to interview at [Big Law]."

Good lord law student - just show up.

Edit: who else is Saturday billing, maybe that person is the smartest among us who will never have to work the big law salt mines.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 19, 2017

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Sab0921 posted:

Edit: who else is Saturday billing, maybe that person is the smartest among us who will never have to work the big law salt mines.

Big ups

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Sab0921 posted:

Yeah. No. I'm loving dumb as hell for having to do a twelve-hour today for my loving nightmare of a case next week. I am stupid as gently caress and I need to get a real job.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Sab0921 posted:

Billed a solid 7 hours today. Hoping that my case goes to trial. Trial owns.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
so I work in "biglaw," mid-size city (big mid-law).

I'm going to talk to a recruiter next week because lol why not. (to cement that I am in mid-law, this is the first actual call I've gotten; all other recruiters have been lovely lazy emails)

what should I ask? I'm envisioning the conversation to be about 5 minutes and to be not informative at all. But someone once told me to always keep my ear to the ground. So, I'm going to take their call that I pushed off to next week.

I like A) the people I work with, B) my paycheck, and C) the city I work in. In that order. So I'm not particularly keen on moving, but I would if I could get SUPER STUPID PAY in NYC (not DC because lol gently caress DC it suuuuuuuuuuucks) or some equivalent pay of what I'm currently getting for an appellate botique (I have a clerkship just not SCOTUS so *fart*).

Basically plz tell me what I should be doing when I talk to this recruiter. Is it really just lay the cards out on the table, or something less soul bearing? My firm cohorts tell me recruiters aren't worth it and you should just work your current contacts, but hey if I could get a stupidly awesome paying job in NYC on my own I would, bro! Are recruiters a waste of time?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Green Crayons posted:

so I work in "biglaw," mid-size city (big mid-law).

I'm going to talk to a recruiter next week because lol why not. (to cement that I am in mid-law, this is the first actual call I've gotten; all other recruiters have been lovely lazy emails)

what should I ask? I'm envisioning the conversation to be about 5 minutes and to be not informative at all. But someone once told me to always keep my ear to the ground. So, I'm going to take their call that I pushed off to next week.

I like A) the people I work with, B) my paycheck, and C) the city I work in. In that order. So I'm not particularly keen on moving, but I would if I could get SUPER STUPID PAY in NYC (not DC because lol gently caress DC it suuuuuuuuuuucks) or some equivalent pay of what I'm currently getting for an appellate botique (I have a clerkship just not SCOTUS so *fart*).

Basically plz tell me what I should be doing when I talk to this recruiter. Is it really just lay the cards out on the table, or something less soul bearing? My firm cohorts tell me recruiters aren't worth it and you should just work your current contacts, but hey if I could get a stupidly awesome paying job in NYC on my own I would, bro! Are recruiters a waste of time?

Recruiters can be great or they can suck. If you're making less than market they can probably find you lateral openings at market. Have a conversation with the recruiter and try to work out whether they know the market(s) and the employers and will be able to offer you meaningful opportunities. You dont need to share all your hopes and dreams with them, just what you're comfortable with/interested in sharing.

Biggest things are how many years of experience you have and what specific areas you work in. Also, your willingness to take another bar if you move around.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Trip Report: Week 3 of working for someone. Have taken over 20 cases from previous attorney who had no idea what he was doing or just didn't give a drat. Explaining bills to clients is fun.

"Didn't I already pay to have the other attorney do this?"
"Yeah but he hosed it all up"
"I don't want to pay for it twice"
"Do you want to win or lose your case?"
"Ok, transfer me to accounting"

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What kind of litigation are you into now Roger?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What kind of litigation are you into now Roger?

Majority of my cases are family but the majority of my billing and time are spend on my civil litigation cases.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Recruiters can be great or they can suck. If you're making less than market they can probably find you lateral openings at market. Have a conversation with the recruiter and try to work out whether they know the market(s) and the employers and will be able to offer you meaningful opportunities. You dont need to share all your hopes and dreams with them, just what you're comfortable with/interested in sharing.

Biggest things are how many years of experience you have and what specific areas you work in. Also, your willingness to take another bar if you move around.

Recruiters mostly can’t do anything you couldn’t do yourself.

However, they will do it and you don’t have to. Which is nice.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Kalman posted:

That's why I've been told, hence my skepticism. But then again maybe I'm bad at selling my amazingness so whatever.

Thanks for the input, Vox.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I think you misunderstood my point. They don’t do anything you couldn’t do - but YOU DON’T HAVE TO DO THE WORK.

And they’re free (to you) so why the gently caress not.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I got you. Any dismissiveness was towards recruiters, not your post.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 13, 2021

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Majority of my cases are family but the majority of my billing and time are spend on my civil litigation cases.

Right now I've got four multi-million dollar estates I'm dividing up. I've got doctors coming in for their divorces. And I'm seriously just one guy and my overhead is $0.

And every god drat week I freak out because I think I'm not going to get paid this week.

Ugh. I'm envious.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kalman posted:

However, they will do it and you don’t have to. Which is nice.

I mean, if you have pre-existing connections with a bunch of law firm partners, I guess. Some openings aren't even publicly posted. I would not have known about the opening for my current job without a recruiter.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Took wife and preschooler son to Nashville for the eclipse from Austin. Just a 35 hour trip. My loving boss was in the same flight out as me.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
In house life: Tomorrow, after fulfilling the /second/ weirdest request for the year, I will be able to add voice acting to my resume.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Ugh. Anyone offhand know if you can use records from an expunged trial against the co-defendant who pled out and testified against the guy whose record got expunged?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

Ugh. Anyone offhand know if you can use records from an expunged trial against the co-defendant who pled out and testified against the guy whose record got expunged?

Was it expunged for factual innocence or because he got it knocked off his record for good behavior over X years?
No for the former (maybe. A transcript shouldn't exist as all records were supposed to be physically destroyed.), yes for the latter in California. Technically our "expungements" (the latter kind) aren't actually 'expungements" so take that with a grain of salt.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

nm posted:

Was it expunged for factual innocence or because he got it knocked off his record for good behavior over X years?
No for the former (maybe. A transcript shouldn't exist as all records were supposed to be physically destroyed.), yes for the latter in California. Technically our "expungements" (the latter kind) aren't actually 'expungements" so take that with a grain of salt.

Governor pardoned the co-defendant because he was a buddy, and as per a new statute the case was expunged. The non-moving co-defendant is now doing the same poo poo he testified doing earlier, and we were going to use it against him.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

Governor pardoned the co-defendant because he was a buddy, and as per a new statute the case was expunged. The non-moving co-defendant is now doing the same poo poo he testified doing earlier, and we were going to use it against him.

Well, that's a new one. I'd look at the statute, text of the pardon, and any legislative record (I promise you they never discussed this). If I was on the prosecution and had nothing else, I'd argue something like the co-defendant doesn't have standing to object because the pardon applies only to the named person. Kind of like a search of someone else's car. Kind of a hail mary, but you wouldn't look like rear end in a top hat.

Actually, what I'd do is make the defense argue that it is inadmissible, because they won't have any caselaw either. "Thankfully" in california we have proposition 8 which makes any evidence admissible unless it isn't.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

Well, that's a new one. I'd look at the statute, text of the pardon, and any legislative record (I promise you they never discussed this). If I was on the prosecution and had nothing else, I'd argue something like the co-defendant doesn't have standing to object because the pardon applies only to the named person. Kind of like a search of someone else's car. Kind of a hail mary, but you wouldn't look like rear end in a top hat.

Actually, what I'd do is make the defense argue that it is inadmissible, because they won't have any caselaw either. "Thankfully" in california we have proposition 8 which makes any evidence admissible unless it isn't.

That's similar to what our chief prosecutor just told me, so we'll go with it. We're also going to try to get a written waiver by the guy who got the pardon, since he's probably not a big fan of the guy who testified against him.