Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What are those loving black arrows on the ruler?

Why are they there? Why are 90% of them off of the loving page? WHY CAN'T I GET RID OF THEM

They’re where the cursor goes when you hit tab.

Click within a list, they’ll be in different places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

Named to a top lawyer under 40 list by local magazine. The important part is that Scraps is a better lawyer BUT not listed. I win again Cpt. Scraps!

HA! I've been receiving that honorific for 4 YEARS STRAIGHT as an unadorned excuse to try to milk my firm for advertising dollars.

jokes on them, I just download the sample plaque and enhance with GiMP, and print the 'award' out on photo paper, and put them in $15 fancy lookin picture frames.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
My 5-man firm gets ranked in Chambers and Legal 500 for the first time exactly 10 months after I join, try and beat that :colbert:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
My clients don't get a choice who their lawyer is.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/ellievhall/status/950433905110405121/photo/1

Thats not a real thing right

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Which part of it?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Court order preventing client from reviewing routine discovery materials

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

Pretty normal to stamp poo poo AEO when there are sensitive business documents involved. (Or when the other party is a trash talking rear end in a top hat who will have no qualms about publishing what he sees.)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

terrorist ambulance posted:

Discovery being attorney's eyes only is pretty routine. You do it because it avoids the headache of filtering out confidential commercial information on the front end: one side can produce everything, the lawyers can review, and then you can fight over how confidential the information in the 100 important documents is instead of the 2 million potentially relevant documents.

Also frequently you have the other side turn over reams of data that could never in a million years be reasonably considered appropriate to make public so that experts can review it and do their thing, and then have those expert conclusions debated more publicly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If I were Milo's attorneys I would also want that poo poo AEO because I'd potentially get sanctioned for my idiot client's willful disregard of court orders and the only way to avoid this particular idiot flouting them would be to avoid him seeing them. He will get sanctioned in, like, the first filing he makes as his own lawyer, and the judge is going to make him say in open court he knows he has to comply with the confidentiality orders so that they can skip the "no, you have to comply" step.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Or cp, or medical documentation for third parties, or any contact information / ssn / OL number / vijayjay pictures of the rape victim, or OCS / school records of the children involved. There are all sorts of things in criminal land that are attorney eyes only, either automatically or routinely.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Got a loving gut punch of a FF&CL - land registration case (we're in a Torrens system, which would be fine if they made any efforts to initially register government lands when they implemented it, but they did not) - some land surveyor in the late 80's gets an idea to use deeds from the 1890's and bribe some land management employees to allow him to create maps that show Ancient Deed #1 encompasses a bunch of government land. He does this at least 4 times, tries to register 3, and the feds nail his rear end. He pleads guilty, flips on his co-defendants, does time. Co-defendants are found guilty, but one of them, an attorney, gets pardoned and his case (which includes the surveyor's case) is expunged.

2013, surveyor has taken the 4th piece of land which he didn't try to register before, washes it through a corporation he owns 99.99% of, and tries to register it again. We catch it just before the land registration hearing, charge him criminally, but the LR hearing continues - his corporation isn't even active/hasn't paid taxes, which means they couldn't pursue an action in court, the deeds were a loving mess and their own title company said 'yup it's pretty bad it doesn't connect up'. We couldn't use any of the guy's testimony from his prior conviction because the co-defendant's expungement sealed it to us (but not to the criminal division).

So of course the judge signs off on their proposed FF&CL granting them title. 90,000 sq. m. of land gained based on a fraudulently procured deed to a 192 sq.m. parcel that is miles away from the actual location.

I can't loving even.

I haven't watched Chinatown but know the basic plot, does Nicholson's character blow his brains out at the end or what

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I look forward to seeing all of those discovery documents pop up in a Wikileaks tweet

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Abugadu posted:

Got a loving gut punch of a FF&CL - land registration case (we're in a Torrens system, which would be fine if they made any efforts to initially register government lands when they implemented it, but they did not) - some land surveyor in the late 80's gets an idea to use deeds from the 1890's and bribe some land management employees to allow him to create maps that show Ancient Deed #1 encompasses a bunch of government land. He does this at least 4 times, tries to register 3, and the feds nail his rear end. He pleads guilty, flips on his co-defendants, does time. Co-defendants are found guilty, but one of them, an attorney, gets pardoned and his case (which includes the surveyor's case) is expunged.

2013, surveyor has taken the 4th piece of land which he didn't try to register before, washes it through a corporation he owns 99.99% of, and tries to register it again. We catch it just before the land registration hearing, charge him criminally, but the LR hearing continues - his corporation isn't even active/hasn't paid taxes, which means they couldn't pursue an action in court, the deeds were a loving mess and their own title company said 'yup it's pretty bad it doesn't connect up'. We couldn't use any of the guy's testimony from his prior conviction because the co-defendant's expungement sealed it to us (but not to the criminal division).

So of course the judge signs off on their proposed FF&CL granting them title. 90,000 sq. m. of land gained based on a fraudulently procured deed to a 192 sq.m. parcel that is miles away from the actual location.

I can't loving even.

I haven't watched Chinatown but know the basic plot, does Nicholson's character blow his brains out at the end or what

Can it be forfeited or confiscated back to the state through the criminal trial?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Can it be forfeited or confiscated back to the state through the criminal trial?

Probably not, the charge was attempted theft. This throws a massive wrench in it, as the court has essentially legitimized it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Abugadu posted:

Probably not, the charge was attempted theft. This throws a massive wrench in it, as the court has essentially legitimized it.

That loving sucks. I know what remedies I'd go for, but obviously that's no help to you.

But hey if defraudment, theft and general crime didn't pay, people wouldn't do it, right?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
My hosed up tiny Arctic law practice is starting a new tradition this Friday where we will reminisce and choose amongst ourselves which of us had the weirdest case of the last year.

I can't decide whether I should put up:

(a) the case of trying to send hard liquor to some bored scientists at a military base at the near-literal north pole, while confined by liquor laws written in the 80s that idolize prohibition and strictly control transportation.

Answer: it's impossible. Within the territory, liquor can only be transported by "common carriers" (ie: commercial cargo planes), or by individuals on their persons. The scientists were located at a military base, so no commercial cargo planes flew there. You can mail alcohol under very strict conditions, but liquor can only be shipped by ground mail. Needless to say, there is no ground mail to the north pole. But even if it's just wine/beer, it can't be airmailed to the base because flying there requires a stop over in Greenland, therefore the base is considered 'overseas' and the Canadian military bans alcohol being sent on military flights to overseas bases (the mail is carried on the military flight). Therefore, the only possible way to get booze to the north pole is to charter a private plane and fly it up there on your person... except chartered planes are generally not allowed to land at military bases.

(b) the case where a lady, while in a court house jail waiting for her sentencing hearing decision, smuggled some thumbtacks in her vag and then swallowed them in the courthouse jail cell in a suicide attempt. She was sent to the hospital, and a feud breaks out between the departments of Corrections (warden and prison guards), and Court Services (courthouse sheriffs) about who is responsible for staying on 24/7 suicide watch duty.

Answer: while she was still in remand and awaiting her sentence, she was considered "during transport" and was in temporary custody of the court sheriffs. She had not been formally admitted to the jail by the warden, so the handoff was never completed. It is the court sheriff's responsibility to be on suicide watch, at least until they can trick the warden to go to the hospital and serve him with transfer papers.

My colleague has a case about whether a marriage of a foreign couple conducted in our territorial waters by a Russian ship captain is valid, which is probably the one to beat.

Answer: marriage is regulated by federal law in Canada, but solemnization is a provincial/territorial issue. There exists an ongoing conflict of law where territorial waters are considered extra-territorial in federal legislation (only "the lands" are considered as belonging to our territory), even though our territorial laws state that the water/channels between our islands is considered territorial land in the general sense. Our marriage law requires that it be conducted within the territory, but it was effectively conducted in international waters due to the conflict. Also, marriages here can only be between residents, so that would have voided it as well. Also also, our marriage solemnization requirements state that only a religious officiant, judge/justice of the peace, or an appointed commissioner of marriage can marry people. While the foreign ship captain may have been able to officiate a marriage by default elsewhere in the country or world, he couldn't do it in our part of the hosed up Arctic. The marriage is void no matter what.

Best part, the captain's name: Captain Beluga.

I have a weird job.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

And now the opposing attorney just sent me an email saying 'whoops, wrong case. The FF&CL was for an earlier one you filed a non-oppo to.'

I've spent the last 24 hours just trying to keep my head from exploding. I don't know if he was trying to slip something past us and get my signature on it, or what the gently caress.

I couldn't even do anything last night. Couldn't drink, couldn't think, could barely sleep. Just played Mass Effect: Andromeda for the sweet release of watching cutscenes into the back of an NPC's head for five hours.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Vox Nihili posted:

The blood money is good, almost have my loans paid off now.

Workload has been heavy overall but really light the last couple weeks, which has been nice. The main downside is that I have to be "available" pretty much constantly. If someone emails at 11pm and needs something done excuses like "I was not awake" do not seem to fly.

You’ll get to the point where you enjoy one quiet day, and then start stressing over your billables when the second quiet day starts.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Wgz7auLAk

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

I just can't remember that guy's name!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
man y'all are just giving up with these 101 rejections huh

I've already had more abandonments in the first quarter than I had all last year, and a lot of them are after first action with a 101.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Meanwile, in Italy...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.7f1a1b824f6a

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

what the christ

quote:

Students were divided into two groups: regular students, who paid tuition and could live normal lives, and top students, who received scholarships in exchange for signing contracts in which they pledged loyalty to Bellomo himself, took a vow of secrecy and relinquished the freedom to date whom they pleased (any significant others needed to be approved). They also had to comply with a detail-obsessed dress code that required women to wear miniskirts leaving at least two-thirds of the thighs exposed.

The school also taught a bizarre legal doctrine based on Bellomo's belief in the existence of superior humans, which he called “superior agents,” who could “exercise strong control over nature.” Bellomo argued in a 2015 paper published in the school's academic journal that legal systems needed to recognize the existence of those “superior agents” and apply the law differently to them.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

man y'all are just giving up with these 101 rejections huh

I've already had more abandonments in the first quarter than I had all last year, and a lot of them are after first action with a 101.

Quitters. Think I've only abandoned cases due to 101 either after an adverse decision on appeal or for some transferred in cases that literally didn't include anything technical in the spec, like not even a mention of a processor or a computer.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gret posted:

Quitters. Think I've only abandoned cases due to 101 either after an adverse decision on appeal or for some transferred in cases that literally didn't include anything technical in the spec, like not even a mention of a processor or a computer.

i should do 101 consulting for law firms, because attorneys really don't have a clue what they're doing either

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

what the christ

Fascism still trendy in Italy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Fascism still trendy in Italy.

it reminds me of those rules catholic schools have for skirt length, just flipped

"AHEM YOUNG LADY, GET OUT THE RULER AND LET'S MEASURE THAT SKIRT."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Why yes, *partner,* I'd love to be on this two-hour call on a low-priority issue when I have three documents for the same client that I need to draft and get to them tonight...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Boo hoo

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

JohnCompany posted:

Why yes, *partner,* I'd love to be on this two-hour call on a low-priority issue when I have three documents for the same client that I need to draft and get to them tonight...

Your partner is gifting you free two billable hours

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

JohnCompany posted:

Somebody's feeling guilty about sleeping in 'till 6 instead of getting up at 4...

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I just want to point out that blarzgh isn't real and is just my tulpa / parachute account.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So, uh, someone is threatening, falsely and maliciously, to report to the school that I had sexually harrased them. Should I pre-emptively go to the school administration with copies of all communications and ask that something be done about these threats? I mean I guess there's not that much that can be done probably since no actual report has been made but at least it might help if the threat was carried out?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Throatwarbler posted:

So, uh, someone is threatening, falsely and maliciously, to report to the school that I had sexually harrased them. Should I pre-emptively go to the school administration with copies of all communications and ask that something be done about these threats? I mean I guess there's not that much that can be done probably since no actual report has been made but at least it might help if the threat was carried out?

Is the threat false and malicious or is the report? Anyway, what exactly are they threatening to do and why? Is it some sort of blackmail attempt or are they for some reason telling you they are going to report you before actually doing it, just to give you a... what? Friendly warning?

I think a more comprehensive description of the situation is warranted, seeing as you're asking for advice and all. And be forewarned, if there is an e-mail of any kind we're going to need to see it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Is the threat false and malicious or is the report? Anyway, what exactly are they threatening to do and why? Is it some sort of blackmail attempt or are they for some reason telling you they are going to report you before actually doing it, just to give you a... what? Friendly warning?

I think a more comprehensive description of the situation is warranted, seeing as you're asking for advice and all. And be forewarned, if there is an e-mail of any kind we're going to need to see it.

OK, a couple of posts previously I had posted about my (former) friend from 1L who ghosted me. Bascially after some ambiguous emailing back and forth she laid out the accusation to me in an email and basically told me that if I should contact her again she will do the act. Now of course I am happy to oblige and never speak to her again, but none the less 1) her actual accusations have only a very tenous connection with the truth, and that even if you took everything she alleges to be true, no reasonable person could conclude that any sort of harrasement occured. 2) Even though nothing has actually happened, I still have to go to school with this person and I don't want this threat hanging over my head this way.

I am aware that I am probably the worst poster in this thread.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
What, this?

Throatwarbler posted:

Ugh, I'm feeling so depressed that I think I might be suffereing from some kind of brain chemical inbalance.

So throughout 1L year I became really good friends with a classmate and we spent a lot of time studying together. We still were friends until the beginning of the semester when bascially she "ghosted" me, blocked me on all social media, ignored all attempts at contact, etc, out of the blue. Because this was before classes started and I was still travelling all over the place for interviews I didn't really notice for a while, and after I did I was legit concerned for her wellbeing because it seemed like she just dropped off the face of the earth. I eventually got around to inquiring with some mutual aquaintances and she's fine, and still goes to the same school and everything, which makes the whole ghosting thing a bit weird because we were still going to run into each other in the hallways. SO anyway we still do obviously pass each ther in the hallways and she just barely acknowledges me or just ignores me entirely, and I do the same to her - being married I kind of didn't want to seem to pushy or inquisitive about it, plus I was kind of pissed that this was happening even though I don't really know why. But inside it's pretty painful for me. I don't make friends easily and when I do I try really hard to be the best friend I can because I don't want to lose them, and losing a friend is just gut wrenching in a way I can't really explain. Generally being away from my family and having a lot of personal poo poo going on together with being completely overloaded academically is just killing me inside already and this poo poo doesn't help. I feel like I should go and try to make new friends but school is so busy that I just can't justify the time commitment and my few friends from 1L are in different classes now.

So Tipps was basically right?

Tipps posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you channelled your loneliness and depression into a powerful beam of crippling insecurity and clinginess at this poor girl, and that she tolerated it out of politeness for a year and then couldn't take it anymore. And/or she assumed you were trying to take the relationship in a direction she had no interest in.

Forgive me for being blunt, but your past posts in this thread haven't exactly shown you to be someone with a solid grasp of what is socially acceptable in the new culture/society you find yourself.

I tended to believe that people don't go to law school to make lifelong friends. That's what highschool and undergrad are for. Trying to foster deep meaningful relationships where you can open up about their depression and loneliness in a study group writing Torts CANs is probably not going to work out.

In other words: make friends outside of law school.

So what it sounds like is that you went and e-mailed someone again. You know you're not supposed to do that. It's blatantly obvious to this thread that you are not good with e-mails, and that you very obviously can not handle the awesome responsibility and power of non-verbal communication with women. Stop with the e-mails. Stop it!

But hey, here's a thing to consider: We're in 2018 now. It's #metoo-land now, and people are reporting people for everything and anything under the sun. You've obviously done something to elicit this reaction, which might be any old thing morally dubious or not, and now she obviously thinks she has something to report. So as to 1), that doesn't matter because you hosed up somehow or she's crazy and that's the situation now. As for 2), tough luck. She's made it explicitly clear that you are not to contact her in any way, or else. Do not contact her in any way, or else. Learn to live with and learn from your mistakes, and take a good long look at just exactly what it is that makes you prone to these situations happening to you. If you're the common denominator in all of these situations, entertain the idea that it might be you.

Now post the e-mails.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Got an email from my uni. I'm officially considered "course complete" and set to graduate autumn 2018. :toot:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

What, this?

So Tipps was basically right?

So what it sounds like is that you went and e-mailed someone again. You know you're not supposed to do that. It's blatantly obvious to this thread that you are not good with e-mails, and that you very obviously can not handle the awesome responsibility and power of non-verbal communication with women. Stop with the e-mails. Stop it!

But hey, here's a thing to consider: We're in 2018 now. It's #metoo-land now, and people are reporting people for everything and anything under the sun. You've obviously done something to elicit this reaction, which might be any old thing morally dubious or not, and now she obviously thinks she has something to report. So as to 1), that doesn't matter because you hosed up somehow or she's crazy and that's the situation now. As for 2), tough luck. She's made it explicitly clear that you are not to contact her in any way, or else. Do not contact her in any way, or else. Learn to live with and learn from your mistakes, and take a good long look at just exactly what it is that makes you prone to these situations happening to you. If you're the common denominator in all of these situations, entertain the idea that it might be you.

Now post the e-mails.

I have no desire to contact her again, I wish she would go somewhere else so I don't have to run into her in the hallways or in classes. That's not the issue. I guess I am wondering what the school administration's reaction to this might be if I did go to them with my concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

God bless you Nice Piece of Fish for doing the heavy lifting while the United States was asleep. It's snowing here, we might get 1cm. So I know what your life is like now.

Throatwarbler: consider that you have a really bad history with interacting with other people. Consider that the emails and interactions which you think are obviously NOT harassment might read differently to someone else. Consider that to someone with your history at this school, and yes, what I assume is your ethnic background, may not get a fair shake in a new harassment scenario.

In order to not gently caress up your career and life, you need to just finish the year, do your summer job without asking all the associates where they hide their gold, and get an offer. You are putting your future at risk.

My advice: post the emails so we can better evaluate.

OR

pm the emails to a trusted poster, I suggest evilweasel (he was a mod so you know you can trust him).

OR

show the emails to someone in your real life who you know and trust and can get a real read on your situation